Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,983 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:26 PM

What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! (42078 Views)

Paid Internship For Young Programmers And Developers - Wordpress, PHP Etc / Nigeria’s Top Programmers And Developers As Ranked By Github 2016 / 19 Pictures Programmers And IT Oriented People Can Relate To. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Maxmmanuel(m): 11:03pm On Feb 15, 2016
What are the best laptops for programmers and hackers?
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Nobody: 11:28pm On Feb 15, 2016
for programming I would go for macbook pro.....BUT WHY.....welll because
1. the best software for web development exits on OS X eg TextMate and more....it is believed that the best developers are on macs so they built the best tools on macs

2. windows is considered to be slow, complex and unreliable in comparison to OS X

3.Mac OS X is the only platform that allows you to develop for any platform - web, Microsoft windows (bootcamp), iOS , Mac, Unix and Linux

for hacking....I mean serious hacking ....the only laptop I have seen that is close to that of a desktop is the Sky X9W having
1. 64gb ram (DDR4 2666MHz)
2. 5tb of ssd disk space
3. Intel’s Skylake i7-6700K
4. ultra HD (4K) display
5.  8GB Quadro M5000M GPU.
6  3 fans onboard to keep the workstation from overheating
.......this beast will be able to do a brute force attack (to test possible key combinations) pretty well.... but that is only if you have $11,000 to spend

NOTE : the above writeup is subjective
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Nobody: 3:51am On Feb 16, 2016
The others are educated guesses but I'd recommend only from my experience. Had a friend who always programmed using Java and Python. His system of choice was anything available. I never heard him complain whether it was a low-end system or high-end one - they were always more than sufficient for his programming needs. He even once employed the use of a netbook with integrated graphics to show you how low-end he could go.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Thirdwrist(m): 6:19am On Feb 16, 2016
ovoSoftware:
1. the best software for web development exits on OS X eg TextMate and more....it is believed that the best developers are on macs so they built the best tools on macs

2. windows is considered to be slow, complex and unreliable in comparison to OS X

3.Mac OS X is the only platform that allows you to develop for any platform - web, Microsoft windows (bootcamp), iOS , Mac, Unix and Linux

You are cracking my ribs brother, I don't think there is anything like a programming laptop, anyone you can get your hands on will do. And your myth of only Mac being able to program on all languages is so false, my best guess is that you are an apple fan boy.

8 Likes

Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by ari3l(f): 7:34am On Feb 16, 2016
Let me put it this way,no there is no specific laptop for hacking and programming.

Do you instruct your laptop to write the codes for you? Answer is no, you use your hands code things like for loop, do loop,while loop etc void installKey(), etc so why? If laptop A can do just much,why would laptop B be so lazy to do such?

What your question ought to be is,whats the best OS for hacking, in my opinion I suggest Cyborg Hawk linux, but if you have kali linux, it's good too.

All the big names, just get a laptop,get a skill, and use it to make money.
Have fun

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by FincoApps(m): 8:33am On Feb 16, 2016
ovoSoftware:

for hacking....I mean serious hacking ....the only laptop I have seen that is close to that of a desktop is the Sky X9W having
2. 5tb of ssd disk space
4. ultra HD (4K) display
.......this beast will be able to do a brute force attack (to test possible key combinations) pretty well.... but that is only if you have $11,000 to spend

Mehn I agree with the Macbook suggestion.

But the second is weird....very weird. What would an hacker want to use Such config for ?

Laptops like that are meant for 3d game designers or heavy 3d graphics designers.

OP, any laptop with fair config is okay for hacking.... you could get Kali-Linux, Backtrack or Gentu OS to make your hacking life easier

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by FincoApps(m): 8:34am On Feb 16, 2016
ari3l:
Let me put it this way,no there is no specific laptop for hacking and programming.

Do you instruct your laptop to write the codes for you? Answer is no, you use your hands code things like for loop, do loop,while loop etc void installKey(), etc so why? If laptop A can do just much,why would laptop B be so lazy to do such?

What your question ought to be is,whats the best OS for hacking, in my opinion I suggest Cyborg Hawk linux, but if you have kali linux, it's good too.

All the big names, just get a laptop,get a skill, and use it to make money.
Have fun

Lol very correct
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by ari3l(f): 8:39am On Feb 16, 2016
FincoApps:

Lol very correct

Gimakon taught me to talk like this.
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Fulaman198(m): 9:00am On Feb 16, 2016
Thirdwrist:

You are cracking my ribs brother, I don't think there is anything like a programming laptop, anyone you can get your hands on will do. And your myth of only Mac being able to program on all languages is so false, my best guess is that you are an apple fan boy.

He's right! To develop iOS apps you can only do that on a Mac using Xcode. We don't want to but we have to. Even though swift is open source, there are no good IDEs for Linux in regards to iOS development
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Fulaman198(m): 9:02am On Feb 16, 2016
FincoApps:

But the second is weird....very weird. What would an hacker want to use Such config for ?

Laptops like that are meant for 3d game designers or heavy 3d graphics designers.

OP, any laptop with fair config is okay for hacking.... you could get Kali-Linux, Backtrack or Gentu OS to make your hacking life easier

Exactly, and fellow Nigerians you should really be thinking of building productive applications rather than thinking about hacking. I mean come on now.
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by ari3l(f): 9:04am On Feb 16, 2016
Fulaman198:

He's right! To develop iOS apps you can only do that on a Mac using Xcode. We don't want to but we have to. Even though swift is open source, there are no good IDEs for Linux in regards to iOS development

Xamarin codes iOS.
Do your research very well.

https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/ios/getting_started/hello,_ios/

Xamarin works on windows and linux as well
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Maxmmanuel(m): 9:12am On Feb 16, 2016
Thank you all for your constructive suggestions!
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Nobody: 10:17am On Feb 16, 2016
maybe I didn't understand the question...
what the op asked was the BEST laptop for programming and hacking.......NOTE that there are no best laptop any view here will be subjective and I gave my subjective view

the op didn't ask for a laptop to buy for programming and hacking
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Nobody: 10:31am On Feb 16, 2016
ari3l:

Xamarin codes iOS.

you can run android apps on a windows laptop using apps like youwave, bluestack etc but can you compare it with running it on an android device.....,.......

well if you don't understand what I'm trying 2 say don't bother replying or even reasoning it......itz like trying to use hackintoch on a PC and expect it to behave like a mac
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Nobody: 10:45am On Feb 16, 2016
FincoApps:

Code crackers break 923-bit encryption record

In what was thought an impossibility, researchers break the longest code ever over a 148-day period using 21 computers.

http://www.cnet.com/news/code-crackers-break-923-bit-encryption-record/

Why will they need the power of 21 computers.....for serious hacking you need powerful computers.....great hackers build a custom desktop but the op asked for a laptop. You a right there 3D designers will love this laptop
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by seunoni34(m): 4:42pm On Feb 16, 2016
ovoSoftware:

2. 5tb of ssd disk space
4. ultra HD (4K) display

I disagree with you. How can you say Mac the most limited os in the world allows for development on every platform? What's wrong with all you apple fan boys and over hyping your gadgets? And how can you say windows is slow in development,? You definitely havent used a windows system before.

Just so you know, I'm using imac( 8gb ram and 1tera) to write programs in the office, and this has to be the worst system ever. Only one server works well with Mac os which is mamp(and youve to pay for it). And it's by far the slowest of all. I compiled a php program using my 4gb RAM system with xampp and it was 3 times faster than my imac.

Besides, if Mac os was that flexible, how come developers hardly write serious apps for it? Fifa, pes, hit man and other power games wasn't developed for Mac for the same reason. Please get your facts right
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by FincoApps(m): 6:20pm On Feb 16, 2016
ovoSoftware:

Code crackers break 923-bit encryption record

In what was thought an impossibility, researchers break the longest code ever over a 148-day period using 21 computers.

http://www.cnet.com/news/code-crackers-break-923-bit-encryption-record/

Why will they need the power of 21 computers.....for serious hacking you need powerful computers.....great hackers build a custom desktop but the op asked for a laptop. You a right there 3D designers will love this laptop

In computing, there are some tasks that are impossible or not feasible to do with 1 computer. E.g Climate forcast, brutforcing even 128 bit keys etc. That's why there is something called Distributed computing. Meaning the job is shared with other cpus.

No 1 computer can crack a 923 bit key in 1 lifetime ... or at least it doesn't exist yet. So there's no point in the op buying super computers when with the right knowledge, he'll accomplish the same task with a personal computer.
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Fulaman198(m): 6:34pm On Feb 16, 2016
ari3l:

Xamarin codes iOS.

No my dear, you do need a Mac to be active on the physical LAN to get Xamarin or Visual studio to work. So without a Mac, development of iOS native apps is impossible:

The Mac acts as the build server: https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/55846/can-i-develop-for-ios-on-windows-without-having-a-mac-iphone
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Nobody: 7:52pm On Feb 16, 2016
seunoni34:

I disagree with you. How can you say Mac the most limited os in the world allows for development on every platform? What's wrong with all you apple fan boys and over hyping your gadgets? And how can you say windows is slow in development,? You definitely havent used a windows system before.

Just so you know, I'm using imac( 8gb ram and 1tera) to write programs in the office, and this has to be the worst system ever. Only one server works well with Mac os which is mamp(and youve to pay for it). And it's by far the slowest of all. I compiled a php program using my 4gb RAM system with xampp and it was 3 times faster than my imac.

Besides, if Mac os was that flexible, how come developers hardly write serious apps for it? Fifa, pes, hit man and other power games wasn't developed for Mac for the same reason. Please get your facts right

Sir pls which platform can you not develop on using the mac, my first app (OVO Multimedia) was developed on a pc using eclipse infact i am currently typing from a pc.....so get your facts right, i use windows too.

8gb RAM slower than a 4gb RAM computer!!! there is something you are doing wrong, remember apple doesn't manufacture their hardware so the intel processor in mac is the same intel processor in hp (et al) what makes mac tick is the way their OS X marries their hardware.......so check ur imac maybe u didnt install something right or have the hardware checked
by apple

For developers writing apps(games especially) for it, there a several possible reasons, maybe Steve Jobs hated games.....ok seriously it could be

1.there are more pc users than macs why would developers sit there and try to port it to a mac when they could port it to consoles and make much more money. And then once they have all this money why would they waste their time with mac and get less people?

2.Because devs don't want to throw away all their profits on paying for Mac licenses ($99 per year.....i think not sure) plus you also have to buy their marked up hardware(approx $1000) to develop

3.For a really long time Macs used Motorola processors instead of intel or AMD. As a result, developing on the mac was a very different process than it was for Windows.

But because apple love you and all gamers you have the option of having windows run on it using bootcamp which is better than hackintoch on pcs

I thought this thread is about programmers giving their view on the best laptop for a specific purpose (which does not exists, itz like tagging a girl the most beautiful girl in the world but she exists).....not others "disagreeing" with me for typing my own subjective view on things.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Nobody: 8:03pm On Feb 16, 2016
FincoApps:

In computing, there are some tasks that are impossible or not feasible to do with 1 computer. E.g Climate forcast, brutforcing even 128 bit keys etc. That's why there is something called Distributed computing. Meaning the job is shared with other cpus.

No 1 computer can crack a 923 bit key in 1 lifetime ... or at least it doesn't exist yet. So there's no point in the op buying super computers when with the right knowledge, he'll accomplish the same task with a personal computer.

never knew the op asked the question so that he could buy one.....thought he wanted to know the BEST out there....
It is either the way questions are asked here are strange or the way i understand questions asked here is strange *clicks on submit and changes browsing tab to quora.com*
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Fulaman198(m): 9:35pm On Feb 16, 2016
ovoSoftware:

Sir pls which platform can you not develop on using the a mac, my first app (OVO Multimedia) was developed on a pc using eclipse infact i am currently typing from a pc.....so get your facts right, i use windows too.

8gb RAM slower than a 4gb RAM computer, there is something you are doing wrong, remember apple doesn't manufacture their hardware so the intel processor in mac is the same intel processor in hp (et al) what makes mac tick is the way their OS X marries their hardware.......so check ur imac maybe u didnt install something right or have the hardware checked

For developers writing apps(games especially) for it, there a several possible reasons, maybe Steve Jobs hated games.....ok seriously it could be
1.there are more pc users than macs why would developers sit there and try to port it to a mac when they could port it the consoles and make much more money. And then once they have all this money why would they waste their time with mac and get less people?

2.Because devs don't want to throw away all their profits on paying for Mac licenses ($99 per year.....i think not sure) plus you also have to buy their marked up hardware(approx $1000) to develop

3.For a really long time Macs used Motorola processors instead of intel or AMD. As a result, developing on the mac was a very different process than it was for Windows.

But because apple love you and all gamers you have the option of having windows run on it using bootcamp which is better than hackintoch on pcs

I thought this thread is about programmers giving their view on the best laptop for a specific purpose (which does not exists, itz like tagging a girl a the most beautiful girl in the world but she exists).....not others "disagreeing" with me for typing my own subjective view on things.

Hardware is not an issue on Macs, they use the same internals as you would find on any PC. I'll show you mine:

You can develop anything on a Mac whether it is Windows applications, Linux applications or Mac Applications via XCode. They all use Intel processors.

Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Fulaman198(m): 9:42pm On Feb 16, 2016
My Linux machine which is a Thinkpad is specced similarly.
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by FincoApps(m): 11:20pm On Feb 16, 2016
ovoSoftware:

Sir pls which platform can you not develop on using the a mac, my first app (OVO Multimedia) was developed on a pc using eclipse infact i am currently typing from a pc.....so get your facts right, i use windows too.

8gb RAM slower than a 4gb RAM computer, there is something you are doing wrong, remember apple doesn't manufacture their hardware so the intel processor in mac is the same intel processor in hp (et al) what makes mac tick is the way their OS X marries their hardware.......so check ur imac maybe u didnt install something right or have the hardware checked

1.there are more pc users than macs why would developers sit there and try to port it to a mac when they could port it the consoles and make much more money. And then once they have all this money why would they waste their time with mac and get less people?

I thought this thread is about programmers giving their view on the best laptop for a specific purpose (which does not exists, itz like tagging a girl a the most beautiful girl in the world but she exists).....not others "disagreeing" with me for typing my own subjective view on things.

I'm 99% sure it's because there are more PC users than Mac users. The same reason virus creators don't bother for Mac
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Djade007: 7:11am On Feb 17, 2016
@op just buy decent a laptop with atleast 4gb ram. Then you can upgrade it later by increasing the ram and swapping the hard disk with a ssd.

I would rather continue to dual boot Windows and Linux on my pc than to get a mac which is overpriced....
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Nobody: 8:50am On Feb 17, 2016
Djade007:
@op just buy decent a laptop with atleast 4gb ram. Then you can upgrade it later by increasing the ram and swapping the hard disk with a ssd.

I would rather continue to dual boot Windows and Linux on my pc than to get a mac which is overpriced....

MACS ARE OVERPRICED?!!!!!!
well that's your personal opinion and i respect it, but you didn't even compare any similar PC with the same specs as a MAC before reaching such outrageous conclusion. I did my own comparison and discovered that......
The highest priced mac in the market (this is the highest I SAW) is the maxed out Mac Pro which costs $9600, And that's certainly not cheap, but building an ALMOST equivalent Windows PC costs $11,500.

From a webpage called "Extremetech.com":

"12-core Intel Xeon E5-2697 V2 CPU ($2750), two AMD FirePro W9000 graphics cards ($3,400 each), Asus Rampage IV Gene micro ATX motherboard ($280), Silverstone FT03 and Strider 850W PSU ($360), 32GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM ($360), and two 512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSDs ($450 each). Plus a windows 8 copy. That is 11,500$

Despite costing $2,000 more than the Mac Pro, the DIY PC isn’t even as good: It has 32GB of RAM instead of 64GB, and the PC doesn’t have Thunderbolt support. The Silverstone case, though similarly shaped, is still much larger than the cylindrical Mac Pro.
Futurelooks also took a look at the entry-level Mac Pro ($3,000) and found that it was impossible to build a comparable DIY PC ($4,000)."

So for the absolute professionals, a Mac Pro is cheaper. But as a mid-level guy why will i want to buy this, if someone asks me for the best without adding: "I want to get one for my programming carrier"......it will be absurd to say "get anyone with at least 4gb RAM"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by FincoApps(m): 9:16am On Feb 17, 2016
Djade007:

Macbooks are not overpriced. I noticed people that haven't owned a Macbook always say that though
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Djade007: 9:57am On Feb 17, 2016
@ovosoftware thank God you said professionals. I'm still a beginner so you can understand the way I still view things. I compare based on their prices in ascending other. The money I would use to buy a mac of 2gb ram can get a decent Alienware pc.

I develop Web apps, so the only place I think that kind of a moster spec would be feasible is only on a server.

The op should also talk about his budget, to get more specific suggestions.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by airsaylongcon: 2:43pm On Feb 17, 2016
seunoni34:

Isn't Bitnami Mamp free?
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Maxmmanuel(m): 4:47pm On Feb 17, 2016
Djade007:
@ovosoftware thank God you said professionals. I'm still a beginner so you can understand the way I still view things. I compare based on their prices in ascending other. The money I would use to buy a mac of 2gb ram can get a decent Alienware pc.

I develop Web apps, so the only place I think that kind of a moster spec would be feasible is only on a server.

The op should also talk about his budget, to get more specific suggestions.
I need a low-budget laptop, but one that wouldn't over-heat or start running slow when i'll have to write heavy code!
Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Nobody: 7:53pm On Feb 17, 2016
Maxmmanuel:

I need a low-budget laptop, but one that wouldn't over-heat or start running slow when i'll have to write heavy code!

low-budget!!...and you were asking 4 the best?....anyway you can pretty much program on anything (even a raspberry pi)
when starting. Don't focus on CPU specs because even an Intel atom can compile codes just try on getting at least 4gb of ram for managing virtual devices(eg android )

However I strongly advice on getting a good product rather than a cheap one. Brands like hp , dell, lenovo etc not some laptops with no name from china

Don't buy anything made of plastic (overheating)

find the cheapest metal laptop you can find that the keyboard feels good to use, specially the {} [], a good battery life too is essential

most importantly familarise yourself with programming tools and soon you will be flying, feeling pro and looking pro on your low end programming Lamborghini

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Sibrah: 8:40pm On Feb 17, 2016
Maxmmanuel:
What are the best laptops for programmers and hackers?
My idea of the best Laptop for programming and hacking is a laptop with about 4gb RAM, average Core i5 or i3 processor, a terrific battery(double cell reinforcement battery to last at least 8hrs on full charge) and a good virtual Machine to help test programs on Low spec virtual machines. I recommended that amount of RAM/Processor power becos RAM and Processor consume more power as according to their size. The key thing is good battery life and good virtual environment to test programs on older and variety of OS.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! by Maxmmanuel(m): 9:04pm On Feb 17, 2016
OK! What do you guys think about the Dell XPS 15?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sultan Akintunde Set For Guinness World Record For Longest Software Coding Time / How Much Will It Cost Me To Design a mobile APP In Nigeria / Basil Okpara Jr, Biography, Age, Nigerian Programmer Who Built 30 Mobile Games

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.