Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,935 members, 7,806,709 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:29 PM

My Mother (A True Life Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My Mother (A True Life Story) (6583 Views)

Nigeria to Europe through the desert-A true life story / Showers Of Mercy - True Life Story / TORN (based On A True Life Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Mother (A True Life Story) by donkross1(m): 11:48pm On Feb 15, 2016
"Momma how long are we staying in this hotel" I asked

"I don't know my son, I really don't know, my spirit doesn't just want us to go to that house" my mum replied.

We just lodged into an executive suite in an hotel located around oluyole extention in ibadan Oyo state. Daddy was paying for the hotel bills while I moved few of our luggages that we had with us into the room that will serve as our new home. Momma and I have grown from nagging son and mother into very great pals over the course of her illness and also owing to the fact that I was the only one staying with her. My eldest brother is working in Ogun state, My eldest sister is married but also based in ibadan, my other brother and sister just travelled to south africa, I was planning to join them when the whole mumsy's sickness started.

It wasn't really a big sickness like that, I just concluded that she was missing both of her daughters whom she was very fond of and that she was also over working herself at her work place. Why does she have to work so hard if she only had a year left before she retires, we just got back from Popsy's place in Lagos, despite the fact that Popsy persuaded us to stay in Lagos but momma just naturally hates Lagos so she insisted on coming back to ibadan.

"I have paid for the hotel bills for a month, I have to start going back to Lagos before it gets really dark" Dad said.

Like a prayerful family that we are, it's just so necessary that he prayed for us before he left. After the prayer, I followed him to his car and he settled me (if you no what I mean lol). I went back inside the suite, Momma was sitting on a couch, I looked at her and smiled. She was the best mother any one could have wanted, ever since I have gotten to tell things apart, I have known my mum to be a prayerful woman. No night goes by without my mum having a prayerful vigil, most nights when I wake up from nightmares or those times when I was up at night doing extra cool (mid night calls). I would surely hear my mum mentioning each of our names one after the other in prayers, praying for the success and protection of her children, 'she is indeed a guardian angel' I said in my mind.

Days went by and the schedule remained the same, momma wakes up in the morning, baths, dresses up in her nurse white attire that must have been previously dry-cleaned by the hotel laundry man. She settles me for the day plus the one I must have stolen (Naah I didn't steal, I took it lol) while she was dressing up. Immediately she leaves for work either with her car or with a cab, whichever she prefers, I will call on my hommies, we go swimming sometimes, sometimes we just chill at the bar of the hotel but definitely have gat to be back at the hotel before her close of work. Most times I would have bought some fast foods for us to eat for lunch and we get dinner from the hotel, she sleeps on the bed in the room while I sleep on the couch. This went on and on as our daily routine for almost a month, gradually the sickness was becoming stronger, Momma was getting weaker by the day, we drove to different hospitals for check ups and all based on the insistence from Dad and my siblings. Dad frequented ibadan from Lagos so much that you will think it's just a stone throw, My married sister too would visit us most times and anytime she comes, she brings foods along.

I still believed it was just a passing phase sickness that would soon blow away until the day I bought fast food for momma and she vomited it after eating, immediately she vomited it, she instructed me to take her to an hospital around ring road. It was then that I realised that this sickness no be play play, I called my married sister and my brother that's working in Ogun state. My sister joined us immediately while my brother joined us some hours later. Already everything that has been happening has been way too much for me, I am just the last born of the family and like most last borns, I was a spoiled brat so everything that has been happening has just been too huge for me. I didn't know I was that strong until those moments. The doctor came in and checked on her.

The doctor told me that the next day, I will have to go to the different hospitals that we had gone previously where she had her test to go and obtain the result of the tests. I couldn't wait for the day to break because I wanted the treatment to commence as soon as possible. The next day, I went to all the hospitals as instructed, the current hospital she was admitted in was located at dugbe some where close to the shoprite mall. I got a bike and headed to Apata where the first hospital is located, I was given the result, off we went to Molete, got the result there and then we went to the Last hospital at Iwo road, I got the result there too and we headed back to the hospital where she was admitted.

I handed the results to the doctors, he went to the ward where mum is. Minutes later, the doctor called all of us into the ward and referred us to University college hospital. Only God knows how much I hate that place, if only we had a choice but we didn't. With immediate alacrity, we took her to the car and we rushed to UCH. We were joined by Daddy who had just been informed with the new developments, she was stretchered inside the hospital and was given a bed at the emergency unit. The mere sight of the hospital disguts me terribly, not long after we entered a doctor came alongside 4 or 5 young girls who were obviously students nurse, the checked her pulse and BP and all. We were instructed to pay for this one, pay for that one, pay for the other one. I, my brother and Daddy kept running around paying bills after bills. When I got back, the doctor had left, we waited for hours and then another doctor came with another set of student nurses, the girls were even gisting and laughing. I was so angry that my momma, my pride was lying on a sick bed and this ugly looking biatches are laughing around. After he was done, he instructed us to take her to the lab for test, I and my brother stretched her to the lab, closely followed by dad and my sister. The laboratory was so far from the emergency hall, I began to wonder how an hospital of this calibre could be so disorganised. After series of test, we were asked to pay for more bills. We stretchered her back to the emergency ward, the emergency ward was so congested and smelly, filled with people with different kind of ailments and accidental wounds, we required for a private ward but they said we have to wait till they do more test on her.

We waited for the doctors to come but we were told that the doctors were done for the day because it was late into the night already. Dad and my brother took turns to keep an eye on Momma while they forced I and my sister to go sleep in the car. I really didn't get to sleep till the next day, the mosquitoes in the hospital compound had needles in their mouths, i stayed up thinking about My sweet loving and kind Momma.

The next morning came after a veeeeery long night, Daddy had rushed to get some drugs prescribed for her. We waited for the arrivals of the doctors but when they didn't Show up, I decided to walk into an office where I saw doctors coming out from.

"Good day doctors, please I need one of you to come and attend to my mum" I said calmly.

None of them replied me, one of them just laughed at me after I stood there for a while.

"I said I need a doctor for my mum and you stay there laughing, is it funny ?" I asked him angrily

"Ohh it's not funny, I didn't know it's not funny" he replied me still laughing.

I was so angry, I had to get out of the office before I did something I would probably still be regretting till now. I walked back to where Momma's and was relieved to see a doctor attending to her already, I was further relieved when I realised it was a female doctor. "At least this one should know her work better than those stupid guys" I said to myself.

I, my sister and my brother stood there watching her performing some test on mum, dad is yet to be back from where he went to purchase the drugs. She finished the blood pressure test and was about to leave when I called her back.

"Doctor please why are you people just coming and going, please let's just get her a private ward and let treatments commence" I said to her almost raising my voice.

I was still angry at what the stupid doctor did in the office.

"Treatment? " she asked.

I was baffled with the way she asked me and the look on her face.

"Haven't they told you guys, there is no treatment, Mama has Ca, the only thing you should be praying for now is an easy Passage" she said dryly

"Easy passage ?" my sister asked

"Mama is going to die, there's nothing that can be done about it" she said and walked away.

I couldn't believe my ears, I fell down to the ground immediately, I broke into tears, I started crying like a baby. My brother and sister also started crying and were rejecting the bad news. I was crying profusely, everyone in the ward started looking at us with pity, some even shed tears for us, we all started crying.

"All of you come closer" Momma called unto us.

I went closer to her, I held her hands so tightly. She was still looking strong and beautiful even after hearing that she will die, she was still strong. How could a doctor be so cruel, how could she say a thing like that.

"My children, you have to be strong, stick together in unity always" she began

The tears increased, we all started crying like babies.

"You people just have to be strong, tell your siblings in south africa not to come home for my burial" she cont'd

"Mummy please don't say such things" said my sister.

"Mummy you shall not die but live " said my brother.

"Momma, you can't die now, if you die, how am I ever gonna survive, I can't live without you" I said.

"My son, the lord will protect you, the lord will raise you and provide for you. Just be strong " she replied me.

"Mummy please ask for forgiveness of sin from God and Forgive anyone that might have wronged you" I said.

"I confess all my sins and I ask the lord to forgive me, I forgive anyone who has wronged me" she said softly

I kissed her on the head and walked out of the hospital covered in tears and sobbing profusely. I walked outside the gate of the hospital and stayed on the main road crying, I prayed for a miracle to happen. I didn't want to lose my mother, she is everything to me.

I saw Daddy drove in but he didn't see me standing on the road crying. I kept on walking around the hospital till evening until my sister called me and we drove to her place. She told me some doctors said we shouldn't mind the doctor who told us that mum was gonna die, I didn't know how it happened but I slept off, it must have been a very supernatural power that got me to sleep, that night I had a dream, in the dream I was with momma and all my siblings and we were gisting. I woke up and realised it was morning already, I ran to my sister's room and asked how mum was doing, they said she is getting better she replied me smiling. I was glad to hear that news, I rushed to the bathroom to quickly bath and leave for the hospital. As I was about to off my clothes, I heard my sister screaming and I realised the worst has happened. Momma is dead.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by donkross1(m): 11:53pm On Feb 15, 2016
Dedicated to my sweet, loving, kind-hearted and beautiful Mother ( O.A.C). I love you Momma and will forever have you in my mind. It's almost two years that you left us. Sleep on in the lord Momma.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by Jaytoy(f): 12:21am On Feb 16, 2016
Wow Kross. Pls accept my condolence. What a touching story. The Lord who has always stood by u since her departure from this sinful world will not leave u. U shall make it in all u lay ur hands on. What ur mum could not live to fulfill, u shall fulfill it with all ur siblings even beyond ur imagination. It is well dear friend. Remain blessed.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by donkross1(m): 5:36am On Feb 16, 2016
Jaytoy:
Wow Kross. Pls accept my condolence. What a touching story. The Lord who has always stood by u since her departure from this sinful world will not leave u. U shall make it in all u lay ur hands on. What ur mum could not live to fulfill, u shall fulfill it with all ur siblings even beyond ur imagination. It is well dear friend. Remain blessed.

Amen. Thanks dear friend.
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by Nobody: 7:50am On Feb 16, 2016
What a sad story embarassed. It must have been pretty hard times then.
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by donkross1(m): 8:22am On Feb 16, 2016
kinglee1:
What a sad story embarassed. It must have been pretty hard times then.

Eish bro, it was hell menh. I almost lost my faith in God but with continuous meditations on the bible, I realised that God takes the good ones because he needs and loves them more.
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by MrBen10(m): 9:44am On Feb 16, 2016
It is well
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by bellovers(m): 9:57am On Feb 16, 2016
bro mi, accept ma condolence I also cried while reading these story. God knows best.
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by donkross1(m): 11:08am On Feb 16, 2016
MrBen10:
It is well

It is well bro.
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by donkross1(m): 11:09am On Feb 16, 2016
bellovers:
bro mi, accept ma condolence I also cried while reading these story. God knows best.

Oshey broda mii. It is well.
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by saraphina(f): 1:24pm On Feb 16, 2016
@op,I understand ur pains.I felt more than pain when my mum dead in my arms...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by jacy67(f): 2:08pm On Feb 16, 2016
Take heart dear. may God strengthen you
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by donkross1(m): 4:09pm On Feb 16, 2016
jacy67:
Take heart dear. may God strengthen you

Thanks ma'am.
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by donkross1(m): 4:09pm On Feb 16, 2016
saraphina:
@op,I understand ur pains.I felt more than pain when my mum dead in my arms...

Auuch that must have really hurt hey cry
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by saraphina(f): 6:34pm On Feb 16, 2016
donkross1:

Auuch that must have really hurt hey cry
yeah..
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by labaski(f): 1:39pm On Feb 17, 2016
accept my condolence sweetheart.. the Lord is your strength..
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by obianuju95: 5:36pm On Feb 17, 2016
saraphina:
bro take hrt..
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by donkross1(m): 9:41am On Feb 18, 2016
labaski:
accept my condolence sweetheart.. the Lord is your strength..

Oshey sweetheart.
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by donkross1(m): 9:42am On Feb 18, 2016
[quote author=obianuju95 post=43009231][/quote]

Thanks boss
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by bummybummy(f): 6:00pm On Feb 18, 2016
bro take heart nd b strng, d Lord z ur strnght
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by Nobody: 8:57pm On Feb 19, 2016
Its really a touching story, take heart dear nd I knw God knws best.
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by donkross1(m): 9:46pm On Feb 19, 2016
bummybummy:
bro take heart nd b strng, d Lord z ur strnght
thanks ma'am
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by donkross1(m): 9:46pm On Feb 19, 2016
Maggielovely:
Its really a touching story, take heart dear nd I knw God knws best.

Thanks Maggie Maggie. Where have you been tho
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by heemah(f): 1:50pm On Feb 20, 2016
Take heart dear. May God overlook her shortcomings and grant her eternal rest. It is well.
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by Nobody: 10:21pm On Feb 20, 2016
donkross1:

Thanks Maggie Maggie. Where have you been tho
I av bin kinda busy these days.
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by davspog2(m): 12:52pm On Feb 21, 2016
Same old story with Doctors and Nurses @that Death place called UCH! I so much hate them..won't wish my enemy to visit there after they killed my friend.
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by Sageez(m): 4:17pm On Feb 23, 2016
how come I'm just reading this? Kross acpt my condolence
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by donkross1(m): 5:43pm On Feb 23, 2016
Sageez:
how come I'm just reading this? Kross acpt my condolence

Oshey friend mii.
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by donkross1(m): 5:44pm On Feb 23, 2016
davspog2:
Same old story with Doctors and Nurses @that Death place called UCH! I so much hate them..won't wish my enemy to visit there after they killed my friend.

Chaii bros that place no be small death place.
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by bellovers(m): 10:27am On Mar 11, 2016
Bro abeg I fit post palingenesis for Ma Facebook group
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by donkross1(m): 11:23am On Mar 11, 2016
bellovers:
Bro abeg I fit post palingenesis for Ma Facebook group

No wahala bro
Re: My Mother (A True Life Story) by bellovers(m): 1:25am On Mar 14, 2016
donkross1:

No wahala bro
oshey

(1) (2) (Reply)

Thread for all James Hadley Chase Books In PDF Format / Who Is This Monster¿? / Phindia.com ~ Books, Ebooks Publishers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.