Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,493 members, 7,808,826 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:32 PM

Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic (2613 Views)

HELP: Please Suggest A Relatively New Car Model That Is Not Front Wheel Driven / I am getting this Honda 'Adidas What Problems Do U Think I May Encounter / How Much Do U Spend On Your Car Monthly Or Annually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by kollysnut(m): 8:21am On Feb 16, 2016
My friend gave his Car to a mechanic to replace just Engine seat n this is what we got, early Morning.

Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by INTROVERT(f): 8:21am On Feb 16, 2016
What will you do TO?
Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by kollysnut(m): 8:25am On Feb 16, 2016
The idoit is begging, he brought his mum to beg o......so confused right nw, we all dey police station.
Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by greatbrian(m): 8:26am On Feb 16, 2016
Forgive but don't forget his name and shop

5 Likes

Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by kollysnut(m): 8:31am On Feb 16, 2016
greatbrian:
Forgive but don't forget his name and shop

We will try......aside that, we just heard this same guy have issues with the station we came to report, nw double wahala for him...
Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by Nobody: 9:52am On Feb 16, 2016
this car is a write off that's how those mechanics are. Give then your car to repair & they will always want to flex the vehicle. the money that you would spend putting this car back to shape can comfortably purchase a tokunboh 2.2 camry. OP sorry for the unfortunate event.

1 Like

Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by BOUNTYDOG(m): 11:38am On Feb 16, 2016
Omo mehn
That kazeem had better be ready to buy me another car,if he had not driven the car with intentons to damage other stuff the damage should not have been this much,I won't even accept him fixing it.
But this is serious oh,
Mechanic wey no get shingbain I wan kill am?
Na u go tire @last let go after series of prayers from old women and police sef
Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by kollysnut(m): 12:09pm On Feb 16, 2016
BOUNTYDOG:
Omo mehn
That kazeem had better be ready to buy me another car,if he had not driven the car with intentons to damage other stuff the damage should not have been this much,I won't even accept him fixing it.
But this is serious oh,
Mechanic wey no get shingbain I wan kill am?
Na u go tire @last let go after series of prayers from old women and police sef

I don tire self, the begging is too much, I want to the total cost of fixing the car. Then I will see weda I can let go, the police here just maltreating the guy..i pity am, but the car as well...we so confused right nw. All I know nw is that we are making progress here...
Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by Nobody: 3:39pm On Feb 16, 2016
kollysnut:

I don tire self, the begging is too much, I want to the total cost of fixing the car. Then I will see weda I can let go, the police here just maltreating the guy..i pity am, but the car as well...we so confused right nw. All I know nw is that we are making progress here...
Oga abeg let that his itchy nyash dat he used to drive out the vehicle cool in a police cellbfor 2wks so that when next time another customer gives him a vehicle, he will respect himself and do what he's told to do & which is repair the vehicle and deliver it back to its owner. Shikena
Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:09pm On Feb 16, 2016
you should insure your car comprehensively to avoid this kind of story. You are lucky he hit a pole and did not hit another vehicle, or kill somone. There is nothing the police can do, he will walk out a free man and you will go and fix your car.
Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by Piyke: 5:20pm On Feb 16, 2016
Just one of the reasons why we should be careful with dropping off cars at the mech for repairs. Especially for repairs that come be completed in little or no time. Best is to stick around.
A neighbour once told me he saw his mech cruising his Venza in another town (over 30km away). He had business in that town coincidentally. Bottom line is, know the mech or workshop where you drop your car for repairs.

Really sorry to hear this and I guess I haven't offered any advice to alleviate the situation. I would say he should pay whatever he can while you complete the rest.
Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by FEGEITOK: 5:36pm On Feb 16, 2016
Stay with the mechanic

incapacitate the car so it cannot move before you leave it with him

hold the key, but leave the car with him

make him sign a document assigning the full weight of responsibility to him for damage other than in the normal course of business

personally, i do not permit mechanics driving my ride under any circumstances and under any guise

But based on the tort of negligence if you want to go the court route, he might have to pay for damages caused. Clearly, he was negligent, so why should he escape responsibility just because he is a mechanic? The issue is this, when the court finally decides will he be able to foot the bill?

Negligence (Lat. negligentia, from neglegere, to neglect, literally "not to pick up something"wink is a failure to exercise the care that a reasonably prudent person would exercise in like circumstances.[1] The area of tort law known as negligence involves harm caused by carelessness, not intentional harm.

According to Jay M. Feinman of the Rutgers University School of Law;

The core idea of negligence is that people should exercise reasonable care when they act by taking account of the potential harm that they might foreseeably cause to other people."[2]

"Those who go personally or bring property where they know that they or it may come into collision with the persons or property of others have by law a duty cast upon them to use reasonable care and skill to avoid such a collision."
— per Lord Blackburn in The Dublin, Wicklow, and Wexford Railway Company v Slattery[3]
source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negligence

In order to prove that the defendant was negligent and therefore liable for your injuries, you must prove all of the "elements." For instance, one of the elements is "damages," meaning the plaintiff must have suffered damages (injuries, loss, etc.) in order for the defendant to be held liable. So even if you can prove that the defendant indeed acted negligently, you may not collect damages if you didn't suffer any injuries.

Juries are instructed to compare the facts, testimony, and evidence with the following elements before reaching a verdict:

Duty
Breach of Duty
Cause in Fact
Proximate Cause
Damages

These five elements are explained in greater detail below. See FindLaw's Negligence section for additional resources and articles.
- See more at: http://images.findlaw.com/optimost/accident-injury-law/elements-of-a-negligence-case-2.html#sthash.ykuOnLXr.dpuf

source: http://images.findlaw.com/optimost/accident-injury-law/elements-of-a-negligence-case-2.html

The elements which constitute a negligent tort are the following: a person must owe a duty or service to the victim in question; the individual who owes the duty must violate the promise or obligation; an injury then must arise because of that specific violation; and the injury causes must have been reasonably foreseeable as a result of the person's negligent actions. Contact a negligence lawyer to acquire legal advice and assistance.

source: http://tort.laws.com/negligence-standard-of-conduct/negligence-tort

BUT YOU CAN TEACH HIM A LESSON, SO HIS STORY WILL BE TOLD AND RETOLD AS A WARNING TO THE REST OF HIS KIND!

So to avoid all the trouble, I stay with you while you fix my car, and I take my car away afterwards, end of story
Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by Nobody: 11:37pm On Feb 16, 2016
Owning a car, yet failing to insure it is madness.

I would NOT even consider repairing this car, it's too far gone. Even pre-accident, it was not worth having. The driver's side fender is loaded to the hilt with filler. My advise would be to scrap it, or sell it in bits.

A hard lesson to learn.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by Nobody: 5:22am On Feb 17, 2016
1) Not the first frontal collision for this specimen

2) Thankful no one was hurt and

3) Just smackgobbed that a Nigerian wall still upright after the unprovoked assault upon it's person.

3 Likes

Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:34am On Feb 17, 2016
EgunMogaji:
1) Not the first frontal collision for this specimen

2) Thankful no one was hurt and

3) Just smackgobbed that a Nigerian wall still upright after the unprovoked assault upon it's person.

angry that's an innoson wall

1 Like

Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by Nobody: 7:39am On Feb 17, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

angry that's an innoson wall

Speaking of.

Have you wrenched on an IVM unit before?

If so how was the experience?
Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:40am On Feb 17, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Speaking of.

Have you wrenched on an IVM unit before?

If so how was the experience?

not yet, there are very few in circulation.
Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by billy187(m): 8:13am On Feb 17, 2016
From the pics, your Mech must've been moving pretty darn fast- or your car must've had some frame and/or intensive body work done. You might wanna consider scrapping it at this point.

We should be thankful the Mech got away with little to no injuries though- I'd advise you forgive him, but as someone earlier said don't be found anywhere within a 5mile radius of his workshop, should you buy a new car
Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by kollysnut(m): 8:25am On Feb 17, 2016
The mechanic is saying he going to fix the car, my fear nw, can he do it right....
Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by kollysnut(m): 8:55am On Feb 17, 2016
Tired..

Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:03am On Feb 17, 2016
kollysnut:
The mechanic is saying he going to fix the car, my fear nw, can he do it right....

tell busayo to sell this car as it is and cut his losses.
Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by Kashif(m): 9:31am On Feb 17, 2016
kollysnut:
Tired..

Was that its first accident? The car is not smiling o. You are better off ringing the Owode boys.
Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by BOUNTYDOG(m): 11:30am On Feb 17, 2016
But siena & Gazzuz u advice a comprehensive insurance on this kind of baby boy haba.
His 5k third party is enough for it,even if the mech like make him hit Honda Accord 2016,the 3rd party cover am if the pesin no do comprehensive na him know
Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by BOUNTYDOG(m): 11:39am On Feb 17, 2016
kollysnut:

That's what he will say,and police will collect money from him to bail him once he's out u re OYO.not that he will abandon it,but he will only put potty and patch engine and u give u everyday problem afterwards.
Best thing ask him to give u the estimate to fixing it,if he do mistake give high bill better,just ask him to give u D cash and u sell off the car as scrap add money and buy another car.Don't fix that thing oh.not even wen D mech dat damaged it fixes

1 Like

Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by blazetitov: 12:03pm On Feb 17, 2016
Na wa oo. Kazeem don finish that car oo. Never leave you car to any Kazeem to fix for you. Some can even use the vehicle for kabukabu.

1 Like

Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by Nobody: 1:34pm On Feb 17, 2016
Looking at the damage from the front, it's worse than I initially thought. This car has been smashed prior to this accident. I would only consider getting it repaired if my life was worth so little. This car will NEVER be safe, the frame has been compromised.

Cut your losses, and get rid of it. It's only good for spares / part out.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by Nobody: 1:36pm On Feb 17, 2016
BOUNTYDOG:
But siena & Gazzuz u advice a comprehensive insurance on this kind of baby boy haba.
His 5k third party is enough for it,even if the mech like make him hit Honda Accord 2016,the 3rd party cover am if the pesin no do comprehensive na him know

I said the car should have been insured. No where did I make reference to the level of cover the owner should have.
Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by bravolad(m): 3:54pm On Feb 17, 2016
Siena:
Owning a car, yet failing to insure it is madness.

I would NOT even consider repairing this car, it's too far gone. Even pre-accident, it was not worth having. The driver's side fender is loaded to the hilt with filler. My advise would be to scrap it, or sell it in bits.

A hard lesson to learn.

Comprehensive insurance in Nigeria is a different ball game in comparison to internationally accepted practice. Only those who have attempted to get indemnity after a loss either by accident or theft can understand the nitty gritty of such process owing to unscrupulous practice by insurance companies. You will run out patience waiting for their endless investigation. Again, some of the conditions for comprehensive insurance are difficult to accept, except you work with a big organisation where they can relax most of those conditions. For a single individual, it's usually not as straight forward as they often present it.

Also, the industry is not properly regulated so obtaining indemnity is a function of your ability to influence. More so, our judicial system is a big mess where almost always only those with might get justice.

It would be difficult to explain until you live in Nigeria or try to obtain something in Nigeria, only then, will you understand that the sound of the bitter kola is not synonymous with its taste.

1 Like

Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:18pm On Feb 17, 2016
bravolad:

Comprehensive insurance in Nigeria is a different ball game in comparison to internationally accepted practice. Only those who have attempted to get indemnity after a loss either by accident or theft can understand the nitty gritty of such process owing to unscrupulous practice by insurance companies. You will run out patience waiting for their endless investigation. Again, some of the conditions for comprehensive insurance are difficult to accept, except you work with a big organisation where they can relax most of those conditions. For a single individual, it's usually not as straight forward as they often present it.

Also, the industry is not properly regulated so obtaining indemnity is a function of your ability to influence. More so, our judicial system is a big mess where almost always only those with might get justice.

It would be difficult to explain until you live in Nigeria or try to obtain something in Nigeria, only then, will you understand that the sound of the bitter kola is not synonymous with its taste.

you can always get public sympath, by giving them bad publicity, e.g. the above happened to my car and gazzuzz insurance refused to pay claims. There is also a regulating body you can run to if you are sure you are working within the limits of the contractual agreement you entered into with the vehicle insurer to ensure your claims are paid. Finally for an old car, it can be valued accordingly, e.g if he had valued this car for 500k, all he had to pay was 5per the value of the car which is 25k and that value will depreciate every year. 25k per year takes care of paint work, scratches, stolen electronics, accidents, and in case of theft 500k is the value of the car, worst case you walk away with 400k. There's no reason not to insure comprehensively.

1 Like

Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by freshvine(f): 10:25pm On Feb 17, 2016
Sometime ago I took my car to a mechanic at a popular mechanic village just to effect a little repair that won't even cost me 5k. But due to the unprofessional ethics of the guy he kept damaging parts upon parts and I keep buying them till I've spent over 45k replacing parts he unprofessionally damaged. The worst being my car have to sleep in the village till the next day since he couldn't finish with the repair.

He called the next day that I should come for pickup. I went, kick start the car and everything was wrong with the car, rattling noise from the bay, engine misfire etc and I cried in my heart. I complain bitterly to who ever was around and told the mechanic point blank I wasn't going to pay him our agreed 5k. Shior... This mechanic get Mind! He shouted, threatened, raised dust that I must pay him before he can let me go with the car. His mates gathered and supported him saying atleast I should consider he did the work for 2 days and pay him. All my plea that I've spent unnecessary money for parts that were good fell on deaf ears.

Then I devise a means of diplomacy that the should at least beg their colleague (my mechanic) for a road test before I pay which they all agreed and he then decide to follow me. We've not even hit the road when the car start singing national anthem and equally dancing shokky at the same time. I was bitter and angry, confused and dumbfounded when instantly the mechanic ask that we should turn back to the workshop so that he can look into it.

I told him no need for that as I was desirous to pay him his money. I took him to a lonely place, BEAT THE HELL OUT OF HIM, I made sure I gave him 5k beating before pushing him into the car enroute to police station. He started making call to a police officer to come rescue him but unknown to him we were headed to the station.

When we got to the station, I made a statement with enough allegation to cover my troubles and when ask to make his statement, he told the police of how I kidnap him, took him to a location and almost killed him and of course there was bodily harms to prove his case.... Ol boy, the hunter became the hunted. Police said they'll have to treat assault first before my case. Na him police say,"oga, go behind counter"

Few minutes later, the police officer my mechanic called to rescue him happen to be my boy. I just turn to the officer and instruct him to go fetch my brother for bail conditions to the chagrin of my mechanic. Few minutes later they ask him if he'd like to continue the case and he said No. He signed papers to that effect and I got him arrested immediately for malicious damage. His woes got complicated when the DPO of the station who is also a person person got involved and ordered he be locked up indefinitely until he pays up.

Three days later, the mechanic village have all gone on a protest to the station, wailing and begging with,, 20k. DPO called me that I should come pick the money that there's no need holding him for that long. I went like a hero, ask the police to release him and subtlety threaten them I'll be coming with my lawyers the next day for final show down.

I heard from grapevine that the mechanic disappeared for months before returning back to duty.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Crash- What Do U Suggest We Do For Thismechanic by Originalsly: 3:42am On Feb 18, 2016
The guy being locked up or beat up would do you no good. You need to either be paid for the car.... or have the mechanic replace it! If he has a car...demand to use it until he pays you whatever. Fixing that car should never be an option. If you're stuck with it...it is best to do as Siena's said...part it out. Eventually you would get far more than the car was worth...before the crash.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Assist: toyota camry i4(EFI,DOHC) LE,1999 model. / Top Ten Most Expensive Bikes In The World / Please Where Can I Buy OEM Timing Belt For 2001 Camry In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.