Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:08 AM

Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket (42188 Views)

Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August / Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria / Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Crashes To N300 From N5000 A Basket (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by jmoore(m): 12:17pm On Feb 17, 2016
Farmers and merchants of tomato in Katsina State are seriously affected by glut of the produce in recent weeks, forcing its price to crash with few buyers in sight.
Although its perishable nature and lack of processing industries usually make tomato farmers experience glut at least once in a year, this year seems to be the worst, according to the farmers.
Hamza Tsalha, a tomato farmer in Mairuwa, Faskari local government area, said the situation is very disturbing as they are recording loses daily in the past three weeks.
“We are really in a sorry state going by what is happening in tomato markets in recent weeks. Many of us have converted the proceeds of our rainy season farming to irrigation and now we lost everything. Our tomato is fresh and healthy this year as we recorded no pest attack but the problem is the glut which makes its price to drop to N300 from N5, 000 per big basket,” said Hamza.
He further attributed the unfortunate situation to the influx of many farmers into tomato farming in the state this year.
“Last year, tomato farmers in this state made a lot of profit, a development that enticed many farmers into irrigation farming this year and God so kind, we are yet to record any pest attack hence our markets are saturated with the produce,” he said.
Similarly, a farmer in Danja LGA, Mal Hamidu Sama’ila, said unless government and the private sector timely intervene with the provision of local tomato processing factories, irrigation farmers will continue to wallow in glut, resulting to dwindling market price of the produce.
“Tomato farming has gradually grown beyond domestic consumption. Government, especially now that it is giving agriculture its deserved priority, should partner with the private sector in the provision of tomato processing factories to contain the volumes of tomato being cultivated yearly,” Mal Hamidu said.
He also expressed strong feelings on how small scale farmers are helplessly losing the resources they put into tomato farming this year; adding that the only favour that government can do for a farmer is to find him an avenue where he can sell his farm produce at reasonable price, especially perishable crops like tomato.
Yakubu Mohammed is a tomato merchant who transports the produce to Onitsha, Anambra State, and he said the situation is also not encouraging in the eastern markets as tomato from every angle of the country is flooding the markets, making its price to fall drastically.
“The glut has also spread to eastern markets, forcing the market demand of the produce to fall flat. Most of the suppliers are either from Katsina, Kano or Kaduna states and they recorded a bumper harvest of the produce this year that superseded its market demand. The best price of a basket of tomato in Onitsha as at last week was N3, 000 if you subtract the cost of transportation, offloading, tax and other dues you will see that the profit is lean if there will be any,” Yakubu Mohammed said.
Daily Trust observed that tomato farmers have since resorted to preserving the produce traditionally by drying it in the sun for future sales.
Large fields in Kokami tomato market are reserved for drying tomato where hundreds of bags are packaged daily.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/agriculture/tomato-glut-hits-katsina-markets/133050.html

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by iamodenigbo1(m): 12:24pm On Feb 17, 2016
katsina here I came

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by Ecoterrorism(f): 12:27pm On Feb 17, 2016
Tomatoes are still expensive in Lagos because of all these touts and OMO Nile that collect illegal tolls from the truck drivers

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by MaziOmenuko: 12:30pm On Feb 17, 2016
This is the worse problem currently facing agriculture in the country: lack of preservative measures! This same quantity that sells for N300 will sell at N12,000 in the next 3 months when the rain starts. Isnt there a way to preserve the vegetable and make it available all round the year? Also read somewhere that 70% of those fruits and vegetables get spoilt before they are moved from the farms to the final consumer.

If only PHCN can assure us of at least 15hrs of light daily, wont mind processing one full basket and store in freezers awaiting the rainy season.

Oh, i forgot to mention, I love fresh tomato stew! cheesy

153 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by NextGovernor(m): 12:30pm On Feb 17, 2016
And I bought the smallest plate yesterday for #300. That woman dey kolo. There are some things you see cheap at a particular time but you just can't buy in bulk and save for the hard time. This is just one of it. If not I could have ordered for 10 baskets. lol

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by ziky2010(m): 12:36pm On Feb 17, 2016
Dis is an investment opportunity

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by TippyTop(m): 12:38pm On Feb 17, 2016
Good for them.
Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by chinchum(m): 12:43pm On Feb 17, 2016
Yet, some funny association are begging Nigerian govt to allow access to IMPORT tomato paste

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by EazyMoh(m): 12:44pm On Feb 17, 2016
That's sad, reminds me of my Dad, may Allah rest his soul. he taught me how to dry tomatoes and sell it afterwards.
I just added tomato processing as one of my future business ventures.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by TheArchangel(f): 12:57pm On Feb 17, 2016
Any adverse effect to tomato consumption? cry cry Huh.

Are we now suffering from effects of overproduction?

No wonder Buhari is so confident and unworried about oil price fall cos Kastina with their agricultural produce is there to sustain us the best they can.

These are one of the many things they forgot to add in that shameful budget.....a tomato processing plant in kastina.
Serial cluelessness is an inherent disease in Nigerian seat of power.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by freecitizn: 1:16pm On Feb 17, 2016
We need to set up food processing and preservation industries. This would have been a great opportunity for a producer of canned/sachet tomato puree. We talk about developing the agricultural sector but we also need to remember to develop allied capacities to handle situations like this.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by cckris: 1:18pm On Feb 17, 2016
Pres Jonathan's agric programme being destroyed just because these people were deceived to vote for an incompetent man from their region.

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by dokiOloye(m): 1:29pm On Feb 17, 2016
God bless GEJ,this is d result of his initiative ,at least,its better we have excess than less.
All that is needed is to move to d next step wc is preservation/storage.
Hope d old cow man doesn't reverse all d gains made by d last administration.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by comos: 1:32pm On Feb 17, 2016
“Last year, tomato farmers in this state made a lot of profit, a development that enticed many farmers into irrigation farming this year and God so kind, we are yet to record any pest attack hence our markets are saturated with the produce,” he said.

Legacy of GEJ agricultural programs

yet this administration instead of continue where GEJ stopped has been running from pillar to post.

It is just matter of time, the ineffectiveness of this government will be expose

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by phlemzy: 1:33pm On Feb 17, 2016
If only we have facilities to preserve these abundance ahead of its scarce season.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by jmoore(m): 1:37pm On Feb 17, 2016
lalasticlala, oya do the needful
Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by opey112(m): 1:40pm On Feb 17, 2016
Is Buhari that cause it....LOL.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by UrbanMystique: 1:51pm On Feb 17, 2016
dokiOloye:
God bless GEJ,this is d result of his initiative ,at least,its better we have excess than less.
All that is needed is to move to d next step wc is preservation/storage.
Hope d old cow man doesn't reverse all d gains made by d last administration.
Oh which initiative was that?

These things have being happening long before you were born.
Nigeria lacking storage or proccesing facilities for farm produce .. That's why you have a season for different food in Nigeria which suppose not to be so. A well proccesed or preserved food should last all year round without having a season where it becomes scarce of too much that it goes to waste like this.

And for the record.. You are nothing but hypocrite ..
Innoson became popular under buhari, it was Jonathan policy.
Tomato excess in kastina, it was Jonathan. Tsa, jonathan's policy. Kachickwu, jonathans policy. Anything positive, Jonathan policy which were not seen.
But when book haram throws bomb tommorow, you start shouting buhari. Not Jonathan, when naira falls again tommorow, you start shouting buhari but not Jonathan's policy.

Thunder wey go fire all you wailing hhypocrites still dey chop constipation yam.

75 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by dokiOloye(m): 1:55pm On Feb 17, 2016
UrbanMystique:
Oh which initiative was that?

These things have being happening long before you were born.
Nigeria lacking storage or proccesing facilities for farm produce .. That's why you have a season for different food in Nigeria which suppose not to be so. A well proccesed or preserved food should last all year round without having a season where it becomes scarce of too much that it goes to waste like this.

And for the record.. You are nothing but hypocrite ..
Innoson became popular under buhari, it was Jonathan policy.
Tomato excess in kastina, it was Jonathan. Tsa, jonathan's policy. Kachickwu, jonathans policy. Anything positive, Jonathan policy which were not seen.
But when book haram throws bomb tommorow, you start shouting buhari. Not Jonathan, when naira falls again tommorow, you start shouting buhari but not Jonathan's policy.

Thunder wey go fire all you wailing hhypocrites still dey chop constipation yam.
Must U abuse ppl b4 U make Ur point?
When U get home,slap Ur father and mother twice each for failing in their duty to give U good home training .
Ewu

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by UrbanMystique: 1:57pm On Feb 17, 2016
dokiOloye:
Must U abuse ppl b4 U make Ur point?
When U get home,slap Ur father and mother twice each for failing in their duty yo give U good home training .
Ewu
so how did insult you lemme apologize?

3 Likes

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by Nobody: 2:06pm On Feb 17, 2016
Kastina, I am coming. *enter kastina bus* I love Tomatoes.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by chynie: 2:11pm On Feb 17, 2016
make i go tell this aboki wey dey bring tomatoes come my side

i no wan hear tomatoes no dey nah grin

this nah first class infor

1 Like

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by Nobody: 2:12pm On Feb 17, 2016
Can this glut PLEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE hit:

-Real Estate
-Transportation/Transport Fares
-Other foodstuff
-Hotels
-House Rent
-Bottle of Beer and Nkwobi or Isiewucheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

On the serious side, the glut is usually a cyclical thing. The rising and falling of the prices of a bag/basket of tomatoes varies even with seasons and festive periods. The introduction of irrigation farming and the fact that there were little pest attacks of course simply flooded the market. STORAGE FACILITIES to support the market and keep prices stable (release products when they are scarce and store products when they are surplus) will help in this situation. Another thing would be to extend the market for the products or find new was in processing the produce.

Unfortunately we lack these storage facilities or good transportation networks for new markets.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by Amosjaj(m): 2:13pm On Feb 17, 2016
Nigerian here we go, you all ask for change, change has come

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by SporaD8: 2:13pm On Feb 17, 2016
What?!!
...and processed Tomato keeps adding Naira digit!
Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by kayo80(m): 2:13pm On Feb 17, 2016
Hmm! From 5k to 300 Naira?
Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by menix(m): 2:14pm On Feb 17, 2016
Ofeman.u people will be so happy now afterall all their soup is oil and tomato....

Off to SPAR to get a Helmet as they will soon send Sango after me...

7 Likes

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by mazizitonene(m): 2:14pm On Feb 17, 2016
owk
Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by Clone2020(m): 2:15pm On Feb 17, 2016
Time to export agric products. Imagine your buyers paying you in dollars now one dollar is over N350/$.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by blesoh(f): 2:16pm On Feb 17, 2016
NextGovernor:
And I bought the smallest plate yesterday for #300. That woman dey kolo. There are some things you see cheap at a particular time but you just can't buy in bulk and save for the hard time. This is just one of it. If not I could have ordered for 10 baskets. lol
Your own sef better, I bought mine in a small plate for 400 very small plate oh. To make stew sef the tire me because of the cost of tomatoes here in calabar
Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by Bugatie(m): 2:17pm On Feb 17, 2016
Fall out of the Goodluck's Agricultural revolution/Transformation.

God bless Jonathan

7 Likes

Re: Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket by dulaman: 2:17pm On Feb 17, 2016
ss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Farmers Show Their Produce (Pictures) / "Vertical Sack Farming" My Pains, My Joy! My Experience So Far By: Organicfoods / Plastic Tanks For Catfish Farming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.