Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,933 members, 7,806,701 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:15 PM

Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr (35106 Views)

Nigerians No Longer Happy, Drops In Global Happiness Ranking – VanguardNgr / BREAKING!!! Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria; Condemns Buhari’s Economic Policies / The Igbo:our Position On Biafra.....vanguardngr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by Gerarahere: 11:28pm On Feb 17, 2016
Ghana has prohibited some items from entry into its domain, following Nigeria’s foot steps that restricted 41 items from access to foreign exchange. Ghana however has placed a ban on some goods from being imported into the country.

Ghanaian Minister of Trade and Industry, Mr. Ekwow Spio-Garbrah stated yesterday that Ghana and Nigeria are said to account for some 68 per cent of the ECOWAS region’s Gross Domestic Product.

Nigeria accounts for almost 10 per cent of Ghana’s foreign trade volume, whereas Ghana is listed as the 9th largest trade partner to Nigeria.

Favourite investment hub In spite of the difficulties, Ghana remains Nigeria’s largest trade partner and favourite investment hub in the West Africa sub-region, as Ghana imports the largest share of all Nigerian oil exports in the West African sub-region. While ‘bagged cement’ is on Nigeria’s prohibition list, Dangote Cement brings in and bags some 750,000 tonnes of cement a year for the Ghanaian market, and is expected to increase this to 1.5 million tonnes by end of this quarter.

The Chief Executive Officer of Ghanaian Association of Ghana Industries stated that there should be a clear letter written to the Nigerians complaining about this, and then also try and use some diplomatic means to quickly resolve it,” “If it does not work then we must also look at countervailing measures…it could be product targeting,” he said. “If we also make it difficult for them to export, then we would have to find common ground,” Kate Quartey-Papafio, CEO of Reroy Cables argued. Even for those who are able to export to Nigeria, you have to get different certificates for different customers and it takes a whole lot of time to get it. It makes the whole thing so cumbersome. You are exporting the same thing but you have to go and get certificates for each of the customers,” she said.

Nigeria has used an “Import Prohibition List” to refuse certain goods entry into that country, including a host of pharmaceutical products.

Also, the Managing Director of Intravenous Infusions Limited, a pharmaceutical company, Mr Richard Okrah noted that his company could have generated an additional 25% of export turnover from the Nigerian market. “We have been making efforts through our agent in Nigeria to get us off this list. But it is becoming a very difficult job for us,” Richard Okrah told the B&FT by phone.

The company, he said, currently produces close to 6million IV fluids of various sizes per year, and that: “We have the capacity to step this up to 15 million because we are installing a new semi-automated plan that should be up and running by the middle of April this year”. He said his company faces no such restrictions from Burkina Faso, Cote D’Ivoire and other countries where it exports to.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/02/ghana-bans-goods-from-nigeria-other-countries/

2 Shares

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by Elosky20: 11:33pm On Feb 17, 2016
hope naija will do same

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by jumper524(m): 11:37pm On Feb 17, 2016
ssauce nah o.p
Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by menix(m): 11:39pm On Feb 17, 2016
See Ghana oooo..

When will Nigeria learn nd pass Bills that will favor local production..

Today, we re begging FG to make our own locally produced car the official car instead of the reverse.

How I wish Ghana will also ban our politicians before they get contaminated..

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by Cutehector(m): 11:54pm On Feb 17, 2016
Very good.

Such news make me happy cool

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by SolexxBarry(m): 12:01am On Feb 18, 2016
shocked this wouldn't work
Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by Gbengais(m): 12:05am On Feb 18, 2016
So what now happen?
Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by fistonati(m): 12:06am On Feb 18, 2016
I can't LAFF pls, what in the first place is Nigeria exporting to Ghana. When despite our population we still import chicken, we import our agro needs to the extent of common toothpicks.

I stand to be corrected, only educationists (teachers and lecturers) and corruption is what I know we export to Ghana

grin grin grin grin grin

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by Gerarahere: 12:11am On Feb 18, 2016
jumper524:
ssauce nah o.p
u no see sauce abi na rice u dey find

6 Likes

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by Opinedecandid(m): 12:26am On Feb 18, 2016
Okay, na.
Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by leofab(f): 12:26am On Feb 18, 2016
Initial gra gra

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by Nobody: 1:37am On Feb 18, 2016
Ghana sure knows how to talk a whole lot of nonsense. Their Alomo bitters and DaViva being sold here and selling fast is not enough for them right?

Our students are paying billions in Ghana anually and they still complain as if Nigeria is their worst trade partner. . . thanks to FGN for not reforming our educational sector. All d same, na their wahala be that.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by yhemsy62(m): 5:03am On Feb 18, 2016
Good for their economy

Nigerians should patronize our made in Nigeria goods

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by Wizprodigy: 5:27am On Feb 18, 2016
And then someone would tell me that buharis' travel is to help us strengthen our bilateral relationship but with who actually?

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by mrphysics(m): 5:46am On Feb 18, 2016
Nigeria should follow suit.

Ban things we ought to be producing in Nigeria. start by banning the importation of foreign rice.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by Nobody: 5:50am On Feb 18, 2016
At least burger peanut would stop entering our space as well.

1 Like

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by Nobody: 5:53am On Feb 18, 2016
Na for this kain matter I trust Bubu. #Ghanamustgo!

6 Likes

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by DOUBLEWAHALA: 6:26am On Feb 18, 2016
I kwn longer trust african media

All I hv 2 say is sit bck relax

COUNTER THREAND IS COMING

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by davspog2(m): 6:26am On Feb 18, 2016
So we import pharmaceutical products from ordinary Ghana?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by IGBOPRINCE: 6:32am On Feb 18, 2016
They re not serious. They will be the one to lose when we starts our own.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by peacengine(m): 6:35am On Feb 18, 2016
So what is the essence of visits Buhari makes every week, it seems we are loosing more partners. I blame the body odor

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by Bigchief46(m): 6:38am On Feb 18, 2016
Can someone please remind me what the Ecowas free trade protocol is all about?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by Tpave(m): 6:43am On Feb 18, 2016
Where e reach Ghana and Nigeria Pooh. Make una see me wahala. shocked shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by OXYGEN01: 6:43am On Feb 18, 2016
And whats wrong if a useless good for nothing country like nigeria imports pharmaceutical products from Ghana?
davspog2:

9 Likes

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by OXYGEN01: 6:47am On Feb 18, 2016
I think you need to read the whole article because there's nowhere in the article that made mention of Ghana banning goods from nigeria and other countries.
The op is just trying to mislead people
Bigchief46:
Can someone please remind me what the Ecowas free trade protocol is all about?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by IGBOPRINCE: 6:50am On Feb 18, 2016
davspog2:
it depends on the drugs. Nigeria imports drugs from different countries of the world, indian,canada and usa.
Ghana is the least. But since made in nigeria policy is a song for the senates.
Then as time goes on, nigeria will start patronising indigenous pharmaceutical products from juhel and neros pharmaceutical firms from anambra state.

Light of the entire black nations. This is time for easterner to reap from what they have sowed for so long.

Note: Fyi pls do not called ghana ordinary, this country(GHANA) is better and well managed than your country.(NIGERIA)
Nigeria is a failed country and should be term ordinary not ghana.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by ErasmusCOMP: 6:55am On Feb 18, 2016
Any responsible government will surely seek ways to make the 'balance of trade' be in their favour.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by IGBOPRINCE: 7:00am On Feb 18, 2016
OXYGEN01:
I think you need to read the whole article because there's nowhere in the article that made mention of Ghana banning goods from nigeria and other countries.
The op is just trying to mislead people
mr man what is prohibition, you re the one that supposed to read the whole article again.
Wait let me copy it for you. Read again, you will see ban there.
By Favour Nnabugwu with agency
reports Ghana has prohibited some items
from entry into its domain, following
Nigeria’s foot steps that restricted 41
items from access to foreign
exchange. Ghana however has placed a ban on
some goods from being imported into
the country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ghana Bans Goods From Nigeria, Other Countries-vanguardngr by OXYGEN01: 7:09am On Feb 18, 2016
The Chief
Executive Officer of Ghanaian
Association of Ghana Industries
stated that there should be a clear
letter written to the Nigerians
complaining about this, and then also try and use some diplomatic means to
quickly resolve it,” “If it does not work then we must also
look at countervailing measures…it
could be product targeting,” he said. “I
IGBOPRINCE:
mr man what is prohibition, you re the one that supposed to read the whole article again.
Wait let me copy it for you. Read again, you will see ban there.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mass Sack: FG Threatens To Withdraw License Of Recalcitrant Banks, Others / Stone Us If We Fail After 2 Years - APC Founding Member, Momoh (Throwback Pic) / Police Arrest IPOB/ESN Chief, Sunday Ubah Aka Bongo, Recover Stolen Vehicle, IED

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.