Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:03 AM

My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 (36784 Views)

Watch How A Man Builds A Working 3.5mm Headphone Jack Into His Iphone 7 / This Man Threw His Iphone 7+ Off The World’s Tallest Building(photos) / Pic: When Someone Forgot His Iphone 6 In A Bus.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by Dottore: 11:00am On Feb 18, 2016
Ok
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by Nobody: 11:00am On Feb 18, 2016
I would have help with my little way as a database analyst but the iphone in questn is problematic
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by bolt000(m): 11:00am On Feb 18, 2016
undecided after all the warning apple gave
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by uchwar1: 11:01am On Feb 18, 2016
AaronDonald:
My little brother set his iPhone back to 1970 because of his curiosity, then this behavior bricked his iPhone. cry What's an awkward thing! Then I called him to go to Apple Store for help, because I don't want to disassemble battery cover and make power break. Because Apple has a high safety performance about hardware. Non-official service may trigger what Apple sees as a illegitimate behavior. Anybody has some other good ways?
now, you yaf tell us and now we knows u yaf I-foone. Next!
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by JoeCutie(m): 11:01am On Feb 18, 2016
Kreamie:
Don’t even try to charge your iPhone or iPad in the microwave or manually set the date to 1 January 1970 – the later will cause the device to get permanently stuck while trying to boot back up if it’s switched off. According to multiple users’ reports, the bug within the date and time settings within Apple’s operating system causes such an issue that even the fail-safe restore techniques using iTunes can’t repair the problem.

This bug affects iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches with 64-bit processors running iOS 8 or newer. The known list of the affected devices includes the iPhone 5S or newer, the iPad Air, iPad mini 2 or the last-year 6th generation iPod Touch or newer.

Apple hasn’t confirmed the precise cause of the problem. However, the rumors are that it lies in the way the operating system stores date and time formats. Apparently, 1 January 1970 is stored as a value of zero or less than zero, which causes every other process that requires the time stamp to fail.

By the way, it is not so easy to actually set the date back that far, as you need to do a lot of scrolling, save the time and then re-enter the time and date settings to scroll more. In other words, you will never do it by accident, although pranksters have taken to bricking Apple Store demo units. But your device can still be affected if a malicious attacker tricks it connected to a network designed to automatically adjusting its time settings by pretending to be a time server. For example, every 64-bit iPhone connected to a public Wi-Fi network could be bricked in this way. There are reports about the users curious about the bug having bricked their devices trying to disprove these claims and ending up having to have them replaced by Apple.
Wait, is this a reply to that small question the Op asked? shocked grin

1 Like

Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by Kangol99(m): 11:01am On Feb 18, 2016
AaronDonald:

sad sad sad He yielded to curiosity.
grin grin grin grin
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by treelover: 11:02am On Feb 18, 2016
Have you tried a hard reset? Hold the powe and home buttons together for 10 seconds and let go OR you can unbrick the phone in iTunes on a computer.
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by faruz: 11:04am On Feb 18, 2016
OlayinkaFawaz:
and curiosity yielded himgrin
...ROTFL..... grin grin grin gringrin
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by RichYoungNigger(m): 11:05am On Feb 18, 2016
AaronDonald:
My little brother set his iPhone back to 1970 because of his curiosity, then this behavior bricked his iPhone. cry What's an awkward thing! Then I called him to go to Apple Store for help, because I don't want to disassemble battery cover and make power break. Because Apple has a high safety performance about hardware. Non-official service may trigger what Apple sees as a illegitimate behavior. Anybody has some other good ways?

Here is how to fix the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofnq37dqGyY

1 Like

Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by Nobody: 11:06am On Feb 18, 2016
JoeCutie:
And you had to quote the whole post undecided grin tongue
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by faruz: 11:06am On Feb 18, 2016
JoeCutie:
I bin dey wonder ooooo............
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by aperture11: 11:09am On Feb 18, 2016
AaronDonald:

Here is a simple solution if you can get the screwdriver http://bgr.com/2016/02/15/iphone-date-1970-fix-how-to-video/

Thank me later
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by airsaylongcon: 11:11am On Feb 18, 2016
AaronDonald:

What model of iPhone did this happen on? How old is your brother?
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by JoeCutie(m): 11:12am On Feb 18, 2016
EverLily:
And you had to quote the whole post undecided grin tongue
Just so you'll see my point exactly. grin
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by JoeCutie(m): 11:13am On Feb 18, 2016
faruz:
I bin dey wonder ooooo............
grin
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by Reddington(m): 11:26am On Feb 18, 2016
Afrok:
Curiosity they say kills a dog undecided
Rat. Ode
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by petkoffDrake(m): 11:39am On Feb 18, 2016
Sell d iPhone (cos he don't know d value). From d proceeds get him a tecno p5, give d rest to d poor. angry
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by MsGlobalwonder(f): 11:42am On Feb 18, 2016
OlayinkaFawaz:
rich people and there rich problemgrin
it is "their" and not "there". You are welcome. kiss
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by theshaderoom: 11:54am On Feb 18, 2016
OP An iPhone user says u should put the phone in rice. That u should put the phone in a bowl of raw rice till day break
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by mayskit4luv(m): 12:03pm On Feb 18, 2016
I dey kummm, make I go set ma Android too to 1970... I'm curious too!
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by systemz(m): 12:04pm On Feb 18, 2016
deebsman1:
yeye phone.......just overrated for nothing
Really
Can u say the truth pls,
- U can't afford one.
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by Clonus: 12:09pm On Feb 18, 2016
AaronDonald:
are u sure your brother Did it? As I was reading your post I just realized my other iPhone is set at that same date. I'm just worried
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by makahlj2: 1:06pm On Feb 18, 2016
AaronDonald:
An advice? Use something other than Apple, for example Android.
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by treelover: 1:25pm On Feb 18, 2016
I fixed my kids iPhone 6! First thing to do is put it in reset mode. hold the power and home at the same time for 10 seconds then only hold the home screen. this places the phone in reset mode. I left it on with the black screen and Apple logo. the phone gets very hot, so I laid it in a cold wrap and left it to die. Once the battery was completely dead, I plugged it into a wall charger until full. Then went to turn it on and it works. It starts up as a new phone, with the Hello screen. Good luck!
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by hollowpot15684(m): 1:35pm On Feb 18, 2016
Guys, don't waist ur cash on iphone anymore.
Will u just stop that nonsense.
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by mosjames: 1:37pm On Feb 18, 2016
Smh, could set my c8 to 1960 and twill still work fine.
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by Afrok(m): 1:49pm On Feb 18, 2016
Reddington:

Rat. Ode
if not that I don't abuse ppl online, i would've called u SUMONU.
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by gabylzy(m): 2:14pm On Feb 18, 2016
AaronDonald:

he should wait for 5hrs den boot it back, it will work
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by Xhaka(m): 2:17pm On Feb 18, 2016
petkoffDrake:
Sell d iPhone (cos he don't know d value). From d proceeds get him a tecno p5, give d rest to d poor. angry
P5 gon be a great choice
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by OlayinkaFawaz(m): 2:45pm On Feb 18, 2016
faruz:
...ROTFL..... grin grin grin gringrin
grin
Re: My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970 by OlayinkaFawaz(m): 2:46pm On Feb 18, 2016
badonkadonk:

And the phone provided curiousity it's yield.. tongue
grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Experience With Android Phones So Far (photos) / What You Don’t Know About MTN Android Phone S620 & S720i (photo) / How To Change Your Network From 3g To 4g

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.