Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:16 AM

Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! (11754 Views)

See What A Nigerian Prison In Kaduna Looks Like (photos) / Gowon's Son JackMusa Released From Prison In U.S / So Skinny! See What Obasanjo Looks Like After Being Released From Prison In 1998 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by bashali: 6:33pm On Jul 09, 2009
here is my question,  why are they targeting nigeria. Nigeria govt should not allow this. It is wrong. Why are they not asking other countries to allow them to build prison in thier countries.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by congoshine(m): 6:33pm On Jul 09, 2009
~Sauron~:

How are they culpable. . . . . .If the system in Nigeria is working well, there wouldn't be a massive influx of migrants.
There was a time 1GBP was 1 Naira. Do people run to the UK and live like paupers in em days?
Stop blaming the Brits for our own irresponsibility.

How is this relevant.

haven't u been reading all my posts?? u seem to be pre-occupied with responding ! Our problems are linked to corruption,corruption is linked to money laundering-UK provides a good home for stolen money.
Solution -UK (& other countries) start making it difficult for corrupt govt officials to launder money,the equation resolves itself backwards !

The Shell example is relevant,becos they are also part of the conspiracy !!
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Fhemmmy: 6:35pm On Jul 09, 2009
ScanLess:

Sauron listen
UK is operating on double standards,  they should give those people assylum if they are giving assylum to corrupt politicians, simple!! , pls answer this , who is a bigger offender ? the illegal immigrant or a vampire wanted for embezzling public funds? who?,

Would you grant asylum to someone that has spent 2 years in jail for some crime?
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by TheSeeker(m): 6:36pm On Jul 09, 2009
I don't understand this. They want to build a prison in Nigeria for illegal immigrants in Nigeria? I think it's good as long as it's meant for the illegal immigrants. If I were to be a UK citizen I wouldn't want my tax expended on people who entered my country illegally and committed crime. But on the other hand I feel UK's intention is far beyond what they are trying to explain. If they build the prison who maintains it? Who and who will the management entail? Who will pay the workers? How can they guarantee the criminals they sentenced in their own country? No matter how much crime the illegal immigrants must have perpetrated they should serve their terms in Nigeria.

Don't let us blind ourselves to the fact that if they give Nigerian government the money, it will take them 10 years to complete it and it sure will be substandard. If the construction is supervised by the UK government to its completion the government will in its name embezzle a lot of money and still the prison will look substandard and just then they will turn their backs on the prison and ship more Nigerians back.

Is anyone worried that if they build the prison more Nigerians will be sent to jail and deported? grin grin grin grin grin

I'm sitting on the fence on this one because I have never believed UK government, they have been very shady and Nigerian government can't be trusted with neither money nor a complete welfare
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Fhemmmy: 6:41pm On Jul 09, 2009
I hope they will not give the money to Nigerian govt.
And if they build themselves, they will have to worry abt the management of same prison, and that will means more money being spent on a yearly basis, and this will all be tax payer's money, spending like 30,000 pounds to take care of one inmate in a year, that is wicked, i guess some of the inmate will tell the briton govt to give them the money and they will never come to UK again.
I am not sure if i wanna see my tax payer's money going into something like this.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by TheSeeker(m): 6:49pm On Jul 09, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I hope they will not give the money to Nigerian govt.
And if they build themselves, they will have to worry abt the management of same prison, and that will means more money being spent on a yearly basis, and this will all be tax payer's money, spending like 30,000 pounds to take care of one inmate in a year, that is wicked, i guess some of the inmate will tell the briton govt to give them the money and they will never come to UK again.
I am not sure if i wanna see my tax payer's money going into something like this.

It just doesn't strike me as being intelligent that they want to build a prison in Nigeria. They have a link with our corrupt politicians and there's just some shady business going on there. I also believe there's no way they'd build a prison in Nigeria under UK's government supervision -- that is so not happening. Nigerian government will be in touch; let me add quickly that a committee will be set out for the project in the National Assembly both lower and upper arm, they'd have another ministry for it (Ministry Of Prisons) while doing all these 75% of all the funds have been spent. What's #300Million to Nigerian government anyway when just on person embezzles millions. UK should think it through if they really want to follow through what they are saying. If they are, they'd be the one to handle all the expenses and pay for the workers, howbeit, only Britons should be allowed to manage the prison not the Nigerian government or it will be worse than Kirikiri
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Fhemmmy: 7:02pm On Jul 09, 2009
TheSeeker:

It just doesn't strike me as being intelligent that they want to build a prison in Nigeria. They have a link with our corrupt politicians and there's just some shady business going on there. I also believe there's no way they'd build a prison in Nigeria under UK's government supervision -- that is so not happening. Nigerian government will be in touch; let me add quickly that a committee will be set out for the project in the National Assembly both lower and upper arm, they'd have another ministry for it (Ministry Of Prisons) while doing all these 75% of all the funds have been spent. What's #300Million to Nigerian government anyway when just on person embezzles millions. UK should think it through if they really want to follow through what they are saying. If they are, they'd be the one to handle all the expenses and pay for the workers, howbeit, only Britons should be allowed to manage the prison not the Nigerian government or it will be worse than Kirikiri

And i am sure OBJ will have to come out of retirement to be the Minister
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by TheSeeker(m): 7:06pm On Jul 09, 2009
Fhemmmy:

And i am sure OBJ will have to come out of retirement to be the Minister

Who says he's retired? grin He hasn't retired from sleeping with his sons' wives. Don't be surprised if you see him in 2011 vying for the gubernatorial seat. But right now, Yara-clueless still makes him look like a wonderful president.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by SamMilla1(m): 7:10pm On Jul 09, 2009
I am sure they want to start dumping prisoners to Nigeria.
But i believe we have some sensible senators to turn them down.
Someone asked how they concluded that those illegal prisoners are Nigerians.
I thought illegal prisoners are people who supposedly  have no IDs.
Some guy was caught by police here in Amsterdam few months ago.
He told them that he was a camerounian.
They wrote that he was a Nigerian on the paper they gave him to use in leaving Holland.
People where in the world have you heard something like this
United States forced Guantanamo on Cubans  and now they are closing it down.
Isnt that exactly what Brits are trying to do here?
When is all this gonna stop?
Why are we being looked down upon this way.
Then they will go back to the house of commons and laugh at us.?

Anyway, i see its only sauron that defends this evil plan.
Tell the brits we want to build a prison in Manchester to send back those Lucifers that are polluting
waters of the Niger Delta and killing our fishes, causing cancers and supporting the feds who send soldiers to kill
People who are fighting for their rights.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by wirinet(m): 7:12pm On Jul 09, 2009
Most people in this forum talk as if they have amnesia or they have a horrible sense of history.
Britain will not do anything that favours other nations especially a black one at that. The reason they are contemplating building prisons in Nigeria is because of the legal and financial dilemma they found themselves in. The possibility of being sued for human right abuse for sending a prisoner to his death in Nigerian prisons and the high cost of maintaining a high number of Nigerian criminals in British jails.    

I think sometimes we should not heap 100% of the blame of hapless Nigerian criticizes, if the British Government had not encourage corruption (in the name of national interest) in the beginning, Britain would not be infected with millions of jobless illegal immigrants today. Remember when Idiagbon was trying to get Dikko and other to return the loot they stole and face trial in Nigeria, the British government did not cooperate.  Even today we hear Switzerland returning some looted funds but i have never heard of Britain returning any stolen money, meanwhile London is the second home (sometime the first) of many of our thieving politicians. I am sure Britain holds more stolen money than Switzerland.

In the 70s and eighties when we still had a semblance of governance people were not trouping to London, even though there was no requirement for visa and ticket was less than 400 naira.  The only people going to england then were people that could not pass GCE ( as it was said that London GCE was easier) and  poor people who had no career in Nigeria. The rich people would just go for holidays and come back home.

What had the British ever build in Nigeria to favour the country? they never built schools, they did not provide hospitals. etc. The roads and railway they built was to move the raw materials they extract (steal) to the ports. And the GRAs they develop is to house their officials and houseboys.

If the british want to stop youths walking across the Sahara desert and swimming the Mediterranean and the British Channel to get to Britain, they better help us build schools, infrastructures and insist on good government.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by lawwyblack(m): 7:14pm On Jul 09, 2009
whats all this?
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by lastpage: 7:17pm On Jul 09, 2009
Having read four pages of response, a few things are obvious:
There are the "faceless" Non-Nigerians who take this as an opportunity to "bash" and "ridicule" Nigerians but still need a "topic" like this to hide under, to do their shameful madness.

Then there are those category that have lived abroad an acquired "foreign citizenship" an feel that those other group of Nigerians are a threat to their acceptance, in their new homeland. This group is very bitter and you can see if from what they write. they are the ones that say "your Nigerian govt" one minute and the next minute they are like "they are illegals, in the first place"

Then there are those who are skeptical and rightly so, that this is a Greek Gift, Britain or any Western country is never know for doing father Christmas to any African nation!

And there are those who look at the moral fiber  of this story and ask, "since you're the one that tried and convicted them", a process which the Nigerian govt is not a part of, then it is your duty to "House them" for the sentence you imposed! I salute your reasoning!1

One or two people have observed and l salute these ones too, that "Crime and criminality does not occur in isolation.

There is a push-pull relationship between criminal politicians that impoverish their country by stealing the "common-wealth/purse" and keeping it safely in British banks, with the knowledge and connivance of the same British government., AND those Nigerians who, having been denied proper education and social stability in Nigeria (like the British will give their own kids), have now turn to criminality, not necessarily as an excuse, but as an alternative, and their first stop is the same Britain that is housing their stolen patrimony!  What an irony?!

I say, Britain, if truly she can be trusted, must enforce laws and jail first, those "political leaders" that buy Mansions in Britain and use our oil wealth to fund British economy. Repatriate those funds first, put those criminals (and you have given most of them citizenship on the basis of how much they have stolen and stashed in Britain!) on trial and jail tem in your worst prison,

, Then re-present your offer to build Prisons in Nigeria. We aint fools, even if you colonized us tongue

Prison kooo, Hotel niiiii.

Lastpage.

BTW: though l dont have hard-statistics, you will be alarmed at the number of Britons who are "illegal" in Nigeria, having over-stayed their Visa duration
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by ElRazur: 7:22pm On Jul 09, 2009
The plan is going ahead guys.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8142925.stm

grin

Nigeria's government says it is happy with a UK plan to help refurbish their prisons to allow Nigerians in Britain's jails to be sent back home.

A British official said investment was needed because conditions in Nigerian jails were too poor for UK prisoners.

Correspondents say such conditions would allow prisoners to block their transfer on human-rights grounds.

There are about 11,000 foreigners in British jails, including more than 800 from Nigeria.

Analysts say Nigeria's jails are seriously congested and often damage the health of prisoners.

The possibility of help from Britain was welcomed by rights groups, but they said it marked the failure of the Nigerian government to look after its own prisons.

Nigeria's Director of Public Prosecution Salihu Aliyu said it was a "positive move".

"It should be encouraged not only between Nigeria and UK but with other countries," he told the BBC.

A statement from the UK's Ministry of Justice said the deal being negotiated would allow Nigerians imprisoned in the UK and Britons imprisoned in Nigeria to serve their sentences in their own countries.

"We believe that prisoners should normally serve their sentences in their own country - freeing up prison spaces and saving the taxpayer money on enforced removals," the statement said.

The proposed deal would allow Nigerian convicts to be sent home even without their consent.

grin
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by matiltomd(f): 7:24pm On Jul 09, 2009
dis is hilarious!!!! are they dis nice?? there must be an undertone somewhere o, Britain? wey me and u sabi? shiow, lets see how far this will go,
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Fhemmmy: 7:25pm On Jul 09, 2009
TheSeeker:

Who says he's retired? grin He hasn't retired from sleeping with his sons' wives. Don't be surprised if you see him in 2011 vying for the gubernatorial seat. But right now, Yara-clueless still makes him look like a wonderful president.

Yar'Clueless is making every idiot feels good and make them look like the best president
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jul 09, 2009
can you imagine, nigeria not wanting its citizens back. if nigeria doesn't want them back then britain should just kill them.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by TheSeeker(m): 7:27pm On Jul 09, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Yar'Clueless is making every idiot feels good and make them look like the best president

Even heard he was invited to G8 Summit. What can he possibly be doing there? It's not like they have anything to implement when he returns from Italy. RUBBISH!!!!!
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by TheSeeker(m): 7:28pm On Jul 09, 2009
al-qaeda:

can you imagine, nigeria not wanting its citizens back. if nigeria doesn't want them back then britain should just kill them.

Let me answer you by your name and location. If you're caught in the US for parading bombs, do they deport you to your rat-infested jail?
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jul 09, 2009
TheSeeker:

Let me answer you by your name and location. If you're caught in the US for parading bombs, do they deport you to your rat-infested jail?

YOU JUST SAID IT ALL: IF
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by louchi: 7:33pm On Jul 09, 2009
The Nigerian crime mentality is it fact or fiction? It is sad that a Nigerian will go to a foreign country only to engage in crime. Its a shame that this stigma is so bad that even in some shows abroad any foreign African criminal is portrayed as  a Nigerian. Well meaning Nigerians ddon'twish to identify with the country because of issues like this. I still have hope for Nigeria so I remain one home or abroad. Lets see if Obama can talk some sense into our so called leaders.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Fhemmmy: 7:43pm On Jul 09, 2009
TheSeeker:

Even heard he was invited to G8 Summit. What can he possibly be doing there? It's not like they have anything to implement when he returns from Italy. RUBBISH!!!!!

I just cant stand these people, they make me wanna puke.

al-qaeda:

You wicked oh.

TheSeeker:

If they could they would, but they cant, cos it is against human race.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jul 09, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I just cant stand these people, they make me wanna puke.

You wicked oh.

If they could they would, but they cant, cos it is against human race.

NOTHING LIKE WICKEDNESS. ISN'T IT WICKEDNESS THAT EVERYONE HERE IS SAYING THEY SHOULD LEAVE THEM THERE, MAYBE IN 9JA THEY CAN BE FORGIVEN FOR THEIR SINS AND LIFE CONTINUES. THESE ARE NIGERIANS, NOT SOME OTHER NATIONALITY.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Kobojunkie: 7:49pm On Jul 09, 2009
OH YEAH!! You never pardon the millions innocents wey don dey prison for so many of there lives dey rot for naija finish, you want to pardon the ones who are more likely guilty of crimes committed first?? See person sef!! roflmao!!
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by AngieFan(f): 7:52pm On Jul 09, 2009
@ SAM MILA
Building us prisons wont solve nothing because people will still travel to stay illegally to the UK.

There is no road from Lagos to UK, which means that those guys there went with Visas.
Some travelled to study there but since you cant get a permit to stay,
You automatically become Illegal. Like it or not.
Those are our University Grads, Our skilled workers, Our traders and co.

If you beat the traffic red light and get caught or enter train When you dont have money(ticket),
You will be asked for ID, which of course you dont have.
When you dont give someone asylum, or work permit,
How do you expect the person to survive if not to do illegal things like trade drugs?
That is how they become the illegal Criminals, Not like they rob Banks or kidnapp for ransom.

How many sons and daughters of the corrupt politicians are in jail there? and why are they not?

AND YES, IT WAS THATCHER  WHO SENT ABACHA TO STEAL OUR MONEY
BECAUSE THE BANK OF ENGLAND WOULD HAVE GLADLY ACCEPT THE MONEY WITHOUT QUESTIONS.

Britain is our Father whether they like it or not, So if they want to help us, They should.

STOP ACCEPTING LOOTS FROM OUR POLITICIANS,
STOP THE POLITICIANS CHILDREN FROM LIVING IN LONDON WHILE THEIR PARENTS STAY IN ABUJA.
STOP THE POLITICIANS FROM VISITING THEIR HOSPITALS FOR CHECK UP
(what is the hope of common man, if the leaders fly to health check up with jets?)

You are missing the plot completely. The British are talking about hardened Nigerian criminals who also happen to be illegal immigrants. People like
these two agberoes in the link. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6353379.stm

And in answer to your question about the children of rich Nigerians committing crimes on foreign soil, google Lanre Onabowale a serial rapist currently serving 18 years in prison. I believe that he is the son of a rich politician or other in Nigeria

I am all for deportations illegal immigrants and other non-citizens who choose to break the law.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jul 09, 2009
Kobojunkie:

OH YEAH!! You never pardon the millions innocents wey don dey prison for so many of there lives dey rot for naija finish, you want to pardon the ones who are more likely guilty of crimes committed first?? See person sef!! roflmao!!
THEN FINE EXECUTE THEM. WHY SHOULD SOMEONE ELSE CARRY YOUR CROSS FOR YOU. I THINK THEY'RE BEING TO GENEROUS. COMON MR. BROWN FINISH THEM OFF OR CALL ME AND GIVE ME CONTRACT TO DO IT. HUMAN RIGHTS NO DEY MY BOOK.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by debosky(m): 7:56pm On Jul 09, 2009
Personally, anyone who leaves Nigeria to commit a crime ruins the country's image and worsens the situation for every legitimate person out there.

Bring them home to Nigeria, collect the money from the British and refurbish the prisons, but make sure the deported prisoners go to the worst jails. Disgracing a nation should not be encouraged in any way.

That said, the British need to come clean as well and stop entertaining stolen funds.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by congoshine(m): 7:57pm On Jul 09, 2009
Nigeria welcomes UK prisoner plan
Nigeria's government says it is happy with a UK plan to help refurbish their prisons to allow Nigerians in Britain's jails to be sent back home.

Nigeria's Director of Public Prosecution Salihu Aliyu said it was a "positive move".

"It should be encouraged not only between Nigeria and UK but with other countries," he told the BBC.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
This guy should be shot ! In essence he's implying, Nigeria is a country of ' awon elewon' (prisoners)??  undecided

God punish you Salihu for saying such.No wonder the Brits have such low regard for Nigerians,if a DPP can make such comments.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Fhemmmy: 8:01pm On Jul 09, 2009
al-qaeda:

NOTHING LIKE WICKEDNESS. ISN'T IT WICKEDNESS THAT EVERYONE HERE IS SAYING THEY SHOULD LEAVE THEM THERE, MAYBE IN 9JA THEY CAN BE FORGIVEN FOR THEIR SINS AND LIFE CONTINUES. THESE ARE NIGERIANS, NOT SOME OTHER NATIONALITY.

I feel you
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by TheSeeker(m): 8:03pm On Jul 09, 2009
al-qaeda:

THEN FINE EXECUTE THEM. WHY SHOULD SOMEONE ELSE CARRY YOUR CROSS FOR YOU. I THINK THEY'RE BEING TO GENEROUS. COMON MR. BROWN FINISH THEM OFF OR CALL ME AND GIVE ME CONTRACT TO DO IT. HUMAN RIGHTS NO DEY MY BOOK.

Al-Qaeda doesn't seem to me like a good name that calls for good action so I'm not surprised. Human rights isn't in your book because you're far from being human.
debosky:

Personally, anyone who leaves Nigeria to commit a crime ruins the country's image and worsens the situation for every legitimate person out there.

Bring them home to Nigeria, collect the money from the British and refurbish the prisons, but make sure the deported prisoners go to the worst jails. Disgracing a nation should not be encouraged in any way.

That said, the British need to come clean as well and stop entertaining stolen funds.

Remove the dirt from your eyes before you come close to someone else's. UK should come clean first before this project and why am I so skeptical about this scheme? Nothing good comes from hell and certainly not from UK government. There's always a negative proxy for whatever they do
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by debosky(m): 8:09pm On Jul 09, 2009
TheSeeker:

Remove the dirt from your eyes before you come close to someone else's. UK should come clean first before this project and why am I so skeptical about this scheme? Nothing good comes from hell and certainly not from UK government. There's always a negative proxy for whatever they do
Be skeptical all you want - this was never supposed to be anything good, it's a simple mathematical calculation

It costs the UK 30,000/year per prisoner to keep someone in jail. There are 800 Nigerians. 800*30,000 = 24,000,000 a year.

Give Nigeria even 5m to 'rebuild' prisons saves the UK 19m. Sound economic sense to me.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jul 09, 2009
TheSeeker:

Al-Qaeda doesn't seem to me like a good name that calls for good action so I'm not surprised. Human rights isn't in your book because you're far from being human.

BROS I'M COOL WITH ANYTHING YOU SAY ABOUT ME, BUT YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT THE TRUTH MUST BE SAID. AND THATS ONE THING THE WHOLE WORLD DOESN'T LIKE TO HEAR.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Beaf: 8:16pm On Jul 09, 2009
The UK brought
sauron: ~~~Civilization to the West~~~

Sauron, you're not being funny, are you? This is from the West before the British destroyed civilization.

Bob Marley sang "emancipate yourself from mental slavery". . . Poignant words.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerian States And Zones Ranked By Igr / 105 Girls Missing After Dapchi School Attack, Parents Say … Compile List / Allen Onyema: MASSOB Accuses Buhari Led-Government Of Persecution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.