Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:17 AM

(pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke (47325 Views)

6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke / Tired Of Being Broke? See An Opportunity Many Nigerians Have Overlooked / 5 Reasons Why Nigeria Lost Its Place As Africa’s Largest Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by MAYOWAAK: 12:47pm On Feb 18, 2016
The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting.-Proverbs 12:27

2 Likes

Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by 50shot(m): 12:48pm On Feb 18, 2016
Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by ademega(m): 12:48pm On Feb 18, 2016
nice one
Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by ksstroud: 12:48pm On Feb 18, 2016
kilokeys:
He used 30 naira bullet to kill that animal he sold for 1000 naira..
Thats a better profit margin undecided

And u didn't consider other condiments she used, the staff she has to pay, cooking fuel, shop rent, taxes and other miscellaneous... Most importantly, nothing is better than beer and peppersoup.. U can't quantify fun in terms of cash my bro..

But we get the message

I need to refer this boss to an IOC.... You are a critical thinker...
Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by Super1759: 12:49pm On Feb 18, 2016
I just wish we have a reset button somewhere

1 Like

Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by Nobody: 12:50pm On Feb 18, 2016
greenmonk:
@omohayek ur type are exactly d problem in this country. Trying to prove that u are better than others when u add nothing to d economy.
The bolded is adding value to our economy and the ability of our peple to sustain themselves. Not cosmetic values like ur types.

I agree with you.
Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by SolexxBarry(m): 12:50pm On Feb 18, 2016
Very inspiring bro,Naija needs to wake up
Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by kilokeys(m): 12:51pm On Feb 18, 2016
ksstroud:

I need to refer this boss to an IOC.... You are a critical thinker...

Make i send my cv abeg.. We dey find work like tomorrow no dey.. Engineer, hse level 3, nebosh, management experience 2 yrs.. Guitarist chef poet.. We dey do every..

4 Likes

Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by ksstroud: 12:56pm On Feb 18, 2016
kilokeys:

Make i send my cv abeg.. We dey find work like tomorrow no dey.. Engineer, hse level 3, nebosh, management experience 2 yrs.. Guitarist chef poet.. We dey do every..

shocked
These qualifications.. Only you....
I will keep on reviewing you...
Regards.

1 Like

Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by gbens2000(m): 12:56pm On Feb 18, 2016
Very insightful Broda u try.
Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by banmee(m): 12:58pm On Feb 18, 2016
NwaAdazi:
Ebele Ogbuanu the Hunter goes into the bush, kills a very big Antelope and sells it to Mama Ngozi who sells peppersoup. He sold the game for N1,000. He told mama Ngozi to make sure the peppersoup is well made because he is coming along with his friends in the evening to enjoy themselves. When they got there that evening, they ordered for plates of peppersoup. Ebele bought the head for N500, he bought the four legs for four of his friends at N500 each, another person ate the intestines as assorted, he paid N500 for it, three other people also ate N500 worth of peppersoup each. The hunter ended up spending N4,500 to buy what he sold to Mama Ngozi for N1,000. Mama Ngozi made a cool N3,500 profit just by cooking (processing) the meat and selling it back to where she bought it from. That is 350% profit and yet she still had excess remaining to sell to other customers. So who is wise and who is foolish here?

Let us relate this story to our dear country Nigeria. We sell crude oil to UK at $110 per barrel and we are very happy; so happy that we spend the money lavishly, and then go back immediately to UK to buy the processed crude oil in the form of Kerosene, PMS, AGO, Tar, petroleum jelly, wax, petrochemicals etc. At the end of the day we end up buying these products at 12 times the cost of what we sold them. How is it possible Nigeria is not broke. Nigeria sure has been broke since 53 years ago.

Culled

Ayeni Ekundayo
(Inbound Marketer |Google Certified AdWords Fundamentals, Search Advertising, Display Adverts)
https://ng.linkedin.com/in/dayoayeni

This is not the reason we are broke. We ate broke because we have an overall phucked up mentality
Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by Ahmed3rdjuly: 12:59pm On Feb 18, 2016
China is mama Ngozi who imports cheap raw materials from Africa and exports finished products.. No wonder China is now world 2nd largest economy
Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by Nobody: 1:00pm On Feb 18, 2016
Hmmm, a good layman explanation.

But the cabals who make 650% are the importers, the wealthy,
the politicians and the people in power . We masses are the real
sufferers not any of those guys or their children.

People who import generators of all sort will do all things to
sabotage any stable electricity in Nigeria. Everything still boils
[size=18pt]down to corruption.[/size]
Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by LordAdam: 1:01pm On Feb 18, 2016
pacino26:
Spot on. If you get to they office off the DPR to initiate process to set up a refinery they'd give you the paper criteria but to get approval is the real issue. My time in 2013 working seriously on setting up a refinery with some patrons made me realise that Nigeria isn't ready for the word 'PROGRESS'

We keep fooling ourselves, you don't have power CCGP will need to be imported asking with all accessories, steel for interconnecting piping needs to be imported, to make roads heavy earth moving equipment needs to be imported. To set Nigeria on the path of industrialization will take another ten yrs.

As far as I am concerned, there's no proactive plan in place.

There is a reason why in the world bank ease of doing business index, Nigeria is 136.

The system needs overhauling. That is the only way to get our priorities straightened and have people prepared to see to these priorities being followed through. Until then, it will be more talk and no action.

-Lord

1 Like

Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by Nobody: 1:02pm On Feb 18, 2016
N30 bullet yes, but what of the man-hours he used to hunt the animal? I hope you know that going into the bush/forest to hunt for 3 - 5 hours also has a monetary value? Factor that in also...

kilokeys:

And u didn't consider other condiments she used, the staff she has to pay, cooking fuel, shop rent, taxes and other miscellaneous... Most importantly, nothing is better than beer and peppersoup.. U can't quantify fun in terms of cash my bro..

But we get the message

1 Like

Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by steve308(m): 1:05pm On Feb 18, 2016
for the past 53 years now we are still been referred to as under developed,while we contribute major percentage of other so called developed countries SMH wat a shame.
Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by omohayek: 1:06pm On Feb 18, 2016
greenmonk:
@omohayek ur type are exactly d problem in this country. Trying to prove that u are better than others when u add nothing to d economy.
The bolded is adding value to our economy and the ability of our peple to sustain themselves. Not cosmetic values like ur types.

Yes, I add nothing to the economy by selling software that people are actually willing to pay for in Europe and North America. It's sub-literate types like you who are the real wings of the Nigerian economy! tongue
Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by omohayek: 1:07pm On Feb 18, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I agree with you.

Two people of sub-normal intellect see eye to eye. What a surprise!
Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by kalus02: 1:07pm On Feb 18, 2016
kilokeys:

But we get the message

And its impossible to sell a big antelope 4 N1000. A big antelope should be costing from 10K up grin grin grin
Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by LordAdam: 1:08pm On Feb 18, 2016
tonyfrenzy:
Hmmm, a good layman explanation.

But the cabals who make 650% are the importers, the wealthy,
the politicians and the people in power . We masses are the real
sufferers not any of those guys or their children.

People who import generators of all sort will do all things to
sabotage any stable electricity in Nigeria. Everything still boils
[size=18pt]down to corruption.[/size]

You are CORRUPT.

Stop making corruption a thing of the 1%. Corruption pervades the Nigerian society.

We need to change how the society operates. If not, things will remain the same.

See it this way, if you become wealthy enough to import goods in a big way, you still have to settle customs, pay exorbitant double or triple taxes, pay bloated electricity bills for zero power, pay huge amounts for diesel for your warehouse and your house, and in a situation like it is now, you will buy dollars for N385/$1 from the black market or banks when CBN exchange rate is N199/$1.

The system is not funny for anyone, it breeds, feeds, and protects corruption.

-Lord

2 Likes

Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by somegirl1: 1:09pm On Feb 18, 2016
Iroh88:
I understand your logic but you failed in one crucial aspect.

Not all aside the N1000 is "profit" as you captured it. You should have realised she spent some extra monies in preparing the peppersoup, like buying all the ingredients she used to prepare it.

Therefore, surely, she must have made some profit, but not in the way you put it.

Thanks.

The analogy aims to depict things from the hunter's (Nigeria's) perspective. The writer was not concerned about profit vs turnover from the restaurateur's perspective.
The salient message is that Nigeria could refine crude oil and save money. Common knowledge however.

3 Likes

Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by IZZIFLOW(m): 1:16pm On Feb 18, 2016
Baawaa:
Fact, though it sound childish
personalize it to urslf it is childish to u
Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by IZZIFLOW(m): 1:18pm On Feb 18, 2016
kalus02:

And its impossible to sell a big antelope 4 N1000. A big antelope should be costing from 10K up grin grin grin

its just an example nah
Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by SIRKAY98(m): 1:18pm On Feb 18, 2016
Mighty God safe this country!!!
Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by IZZIFLOW(m): 1:19pm On Feb 18, 2016
tutorng:
Apt illustration!

This is the layman's explanation of all these economy downturn and oil subsidy jargons making the rounds these past years. Every one should understand this.
The solution to Nigeria's problem is having our own refineries to process our crude and cut costs
master of illustration well done
Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by Nobody: 1:22pm On Feb 18, 2016
LordAdam:

You are CORRUPT.

Stop making corruption a thing of the 1%. Corruption pervades the Nigerian society.

We need to change how the society operates. If not, things will remain the same.

See it this way, if you become wealthy enough to import goods in a big way, you still have to settle customs, pay exorbitant double or triple taxes, pay bloated electricity bills for zero power, pay huge amounts for diesel for your warehouse and your house, and in a situation like it is now, you will buy dollars for N385/$1 from the black market or banks when CBN exchange rate is N199/$1.

The system is not funny for anyone, it breeds, feeds, and protects corruption.

-Lord

So it should continue to be like that?

We should pray for this government to continue the mission of reducing corruption (...you still have to settle customs, pay exorbitant double or triple taxes...)to a bearable extent, not just to accept the fact that it exists in every corner of Naija and continue to perpetuate it. smh.
Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by 93RD(m): 1:24pm On Feb 18, 2016
To all of you trying so hard to oppose the OP just to make a point, think you guys really don't get the point.... THE HUNTER COULD HAVE SAVED MORE MONEY, AND STILL ENJOY MORE OF THE PEPPER SOUP HAD HE PREPARED IT HIMSELF... that's all

1 Like

Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by donsteady(m): 1:25pm On Feb 18, 2016
Nigerian problem is like man with seven wives, he has no money to cater for their financial needs and no strigent to satisfy their sexual desire. He keep promising change.

1 Like

Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by Owode1: 1:30pm On Feb 18, 2016
tutorng:

i dont think its childish bro

Sometimes we have to use the simplest illustrations to explain complex concepts
#Commonsense
Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by Acidosis(m): 1:30pm On Feb 18, 2016
I want to believe the pepper soup seller didn't prepare the meat under a roofless home with urine, poo, sand and paper.

I want to believe those buying our oil aren't refining with magic, wave and the expertise of new born babies.

The Question we should be asking is: is it profitable and cost-effective to refine our oil?

Would you buy 'Agbo' (herbal medicine) at N500/bottle when a tablet of paracetamol (made in Indian) costs only N20, just because you want to patronize your local medicine sellers in Nigeria?

If the business environment in Nigeria is favourable, everything including refineries would work effortlessly and profitably. Which of these refining machineries do you manufacture in Nigeria? How many Nigerian engineers can operate and run a refinery? lol, most of these things/expertise would still be imported (expensive), so why are we f00ling ourselves?

Until our business environment and knowledge is enhanced, some things would remain cheaper when imported.

Your analogy is not comprehensive reason being that the hunter has no choice! He cannot prepare pepper soup, so if he must prepare one, he has to pay to learn how to prepare pepper soup. The question is, is he ready to learn? at what cost? N10,000? Are you sure he won't go back to beg the woman after paying N10,000 for training?

Do Nigerian engineers travel out for training? Yes. At what cost? Billions! Why do we still run to beg the trainers (white men) to come run our refineries? Our flyovers? At what cost?

The hunter killed the animal with a cheap bullet (that's profit), but the woman can't! Don't you think the pepper soup seller ought to have killed the same animal to increase her profit margin?

This issue of refinery has been going on for long but Nigerians need to know the truth. Running a refinery is not a child's play. Until we develop our knowledge bank, Nigeria will continue to import everything till Christ come!

Before we build refineries, let's learn to make competitive match sticks. Its N5 per box all the way from China. How many Nigerians can produce such and sell at N3 per box? NONE! Why? We cannot make the machine that makes match sticks.

3 Likes

Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by emenideen(m): 1:30pm On Feb 18, 2016
... and we all know dis. Question is, why is nobody doing anything about it? Don't look @ d leaders. The followers nko? I am afraid dat one day 9ja will just ... boom! wit our relgiousity and all. Did u say God forbid?
Re: (pic) See Why Nigeria Is Broke by ddooskie(m): 1:31pm On Feb 18, 2016
Two bottles of Orijin for this OP wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

5 Simple Steps To Register Your Business In Nigeria / Abdulsamad Rabiu Becomes Nigeria’s Second Richest Man, Now Worth $7.2 Billion / FG Lifts Ban On Cryptocurrency, Introduces Taxation Instead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.