Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,022 members, 7,799,489 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:34 PM

New York Times Special On Nollywood - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / New York Times Special On Nollywood (34416 Views)

Bbnaija: Bisola Wins One.org Campaigner, With A Trip To New York / Is There Anything I Have Not Written On Nollywood And Nigerian Film Industry? / The Big Weekend Show Highlights 88th Academy Awards Special On Startimes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by sam90s(m): 8:19pm On Feb 18, 2016
Only 3 movies has ever grossed billions in the history of hollywood, however, I agree with you that a lot of work need to done.

moshoodn:
A single hit American Hollywood movie will gross billion of dollars, quite enough to take care of all the profits generated by Nigerian Nollywood movies combined.

We need to look into why?

All the same, Nollywood is trying, especially as an African influence.

Nigerian, I am.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by Chukazu: 8:25pm On Feb 18, 2016
Ecoterrorism:
Nollywood is dying because we refuse to introduce professionalism into it. Its becoming stale with its boring storylines

Nollywood is actually more popular outside the country than within, you can even tell from the report
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by nextstep(m): 8:26pm On Feb 18, 2016
Loved the article... hate the comments bashing Nollywood, complaining about quality, originality. Have you bothered to look at the history of film in the US, India, Taiwan? Take a look at Hollywood movies in the early years and you'll see most movies were cringe worthy by today's standards, slapped together by fledgling directors and production houses. Same for the awful Indian and Taiwanese movies in those countries in their younger days. Nollywood is maturing and has many facets to it, from epic films, made for TV dramas, to the more slapstick, as well as Yoruba and Ibo movies.

You may not watch it, but enough people are watching it around the world to make it a $0.6 billion USD industry. That's more than half a billion. Hard currency, and a good chunk must bring in foreign exchange too for the audience outside Nigeria. Though you may complain about it, it resonates with enough people around the world so far that they copy the hair styles, fashions, and accents. It also ea

How about predictability and rehashing? Show me a Hollywood film poster, and I can describe the plot to you with pretty good accuracy. How many times are we going to see the same rehashed plot in their love comedies, or their cop stories, or the deranged/brilliant lone crusader stories? I don't remember the last time I saw a Hollywood movie, but I can rest assured that any new movies coming out have very similar storylines to anything produced since 1980s, so I'm not missing much.

But from "Gidi Up", "The meeting", "Last Flight to Abuja", "Mr. & Mrs", "Maami", and so many other new Nollywood productions, I'm really enjoying this time in our history.

2 Likes

Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by larrypourl(m): 8:42pm On Feb 18, 2016
You harsh oo, that gun aspect thou grin

omolola15:
I'm coming. Let me read it

**modified***

OK I don read am finish. A nice write up. But I've not watched any nollywood movie in a very long time. I hardly know the actors and actresses. I got to know Tonto dikeh on nairaland because she was always making front page back then.

Them lack quality. After so many years they still can't perfect gun shots. You'll see fire coming out of the gun's mouth. And the person shot won't have gun shot wound. And the sound is always annoying. You'll be hearing tatatatata. Na wah ooooo.

The only parts they are good at is witchcraft and touts. Also comedies as well.

You'll see how someone is stabbed or beheaded in American movies and it'll look so freaking real. I'm wondering when nollywood will get there.

Na make dem dey repeat stories with bad qualities dem sabi.

1 Like

Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by omolola15(m): 8:47pm On Feb 18, 2016
larrypourl:
You harsh oo, that gun aspect thou grin

But se I lie? The thing dey always vex me. The last yoruba movie I saw was so annoying. Murphy Afolabi sat on the bonnet of a car shooting at a car ahead of him. The sound of the gun was so displeasing. Come see as fire dey scatter for the gun mouth. Soooooo annoying.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by omonnakoda: 8:55pm On Feb 18, 2016
Ecoterrorism:
Nollywood is dying because we refuse to introduce professionalism into it. Its becoming stale with its boring storylines
Nollywood is not dying it is booming.It may not quite be as"professional" as we like but I will explain that partly by piracy . If the money does not go back to those making the films how can they grow. If there is better protection against piracy things will improve.
Most people who complain about Nollywood NEVER pay a dime for the content . How will the industry grow.It is a marvel they have done so well as it is. The real problem is marketing. Films will not make much money from Cinemas in Africa and there needs to be an effective way of extracting payment online.

The quality that goes into it is not Cinema (gourmet) quality but Fast food ( quality) suitable for TV viewing so many consumers will see one or more every single day

2 Likes

Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by repogirl(f): 8:55pm On Feb 18, 2016
kay29000:

Can you write scripts too? Like screenplays? My friend and I are planning to shoot a short movie (like 25 minutes) in April...maybe we can work together. What genre do you write in?
Nope, I don't do screenplays for now, just prose but I've just begun reading up on it and I might try converting a few of my stories into screenplays.

I write romance stories and if you are interested, it's not for free o. angry
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by larrypourl(m): 8:58pm On Feb 18, 2016
We are getting there.

omolola15:

But se I lie? The thing dey always vex me. The last yoruba movie I saw was so annoying. Murphy Afolabi sat on the bonnet of a car shooting at a car ahead of him. The sound of the gun was so displeasing. Come see as fire dey scatter for the gun mouth. Soooooo annoying.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by kay29000(m): 9:06pm On Feb 18, 2016
repogirl:
Nope, I don't do screenplays for now, just prose but I've just begun reading up on it and I might try converting a few of my stories into screenplays.

I write romance stories and if you are interested, it's not for free o. angry
]

Okay. I write Romance Suspense. Yea, ofcos I know it is not for free. I will keep in touch...I will also take time to read some of your stories.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by repogirl(f): 9:07pm On Feb 18, 2016
kay29000:
]

Okay. I write Romance Suspense. Yea, ofcos I know it is not for free. I will keep in touch...I will also take time to read some of your stories.
Alright then, cool.

1 Like

Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by Niyinficient(m): 9:17pm On Feb 18, 2016
oboy3:
Thanks to Ndigbo for giving Nigeria Nollywood

What is this one saying?
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by Lagishan: 9:40pm On Feb 18, 2016
I was amazed at the love of Nollywood by Dutch suranamese people in the Netherlands. Nollywood has so much influence on blacks of non Nigerian origin outside Nigeria.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by seankay(m): 9:44pm On Feb 18, 2016
The day Nollywood start producing movies that have no Part2 is the day they will start making sense in Naija
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by herald9: 9:55pm On Feb 18, 2016
Recycling old story lines with new actors... So fuccking childish. The most annoying is acting everything that's happening and tagging it Season 1 and 2... WTF!

When will we ever have a scientific movie, or the ones that portrays the actors making use of their intellectual prowess and logic...

I learn many things from watching Hollywood movies... But Naija movies the only thing you learn is being annoyed and frustrated undecided

I'm not even talking about the posters which will tell you the whole story before you even get to watching the movie...

1 Like

Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by francisbiz: 9:59pm On Feb 18, 2016
LordVarys:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/02/19/world/africa/with-a-boom-before-the-cameras-nigeria-redefines-african-life.html

With incessant avalanche of dreadful, sorrowful, devilish and unpalatable stories about Nigeria and Nigerians, one just have to feel good being a Nigerian after reading this.

Only three things give Nigeria LOUD OVATION ; Sports, Music and Nollywood/Stan-up comedy.

1 Like

Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by TeamSimple(m): 10:10pm On Feb 18, 2016
oboy3:
Stop being sarcastic,even Amagic Hausa got the nod ahead of Amagic Igbo which came last. Or your fish mind thinks only igbos represent in english movies? Infact most legends of nollywood ain't igbo.
Olu Jacobs
Joke silva
Rita dominic
Desmond eliot
Mercy Johnson
Ini edo
Omotola
Segun arinze,etc
NB other tribes put as much as the igbos in nollywood. But when it comes to native language speaking movies Yoruba,Hausa then Igbo comes in that order.

1 Like

Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by winniz: 10:16pm On Feb 18, 2016
Once completed in Asaba, the movie finds there ways to every corner of Africa, released in the original English dubbed into french or African Languages

Thanks to my Igbo brothers for kick starting and creating Nollywood. Ndigbo still continually sustain the Growth of the Movie Industry over Africa and beyond.

2 Likes

Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by winniz: 10:20pm On Feb 18, 2016
oboy3:

Big thanks to Ndigbo, They also popularised Nollywood all over Africa and beyond.

1 Like

Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by swagifted(m): 10:30pm On Feb 18, 2016
Nollywood de fear to budget $$$ for movie...until then...hollywood will still continue to look like a far journey for us...when ever/last person budget $10M for one nollywood flick?
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by Amaga(m): 10:36pm On Feb 18, 2016
kay29000:
]

I write screenplays. Currently working on a screenplay for a TV series to be shot in Abuja. Hit me up when you are ready. Can send you a sample.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by oboy3(m): 10:46pm On Feb 18, 2016
TeamSimple:

Stop being sarcastic,even Amagic Hausa got the nod ahead of Amagic Igbo which came last. Or your fish mind thinks only igbos represent in english movies? Infact most legends of nollywood ain't igbo.
Olu Jacobs
Joke silva
Rita dominic
Desmond eliot
Mercy Johnson
Ini edo
Omotola
Segun arinze,etc
NB other tribes put as much as the igbos in nollywood. But when it comes to native language speaking movies Yoruba,Hausa then Igbo comes in that order.
Dont you think you are a lil bit old to be exhibiting '' Ostrich Wisdom''?

Be honest,when you hear the mention of Nollywood,what comes to your mind?

Heck,your actors have even refused to called Nollywood actors,Nairaland can bear me witness,when reporting stories about yoruba or Hausa actors,it is either ''yoruba actor baba suwe or kannywood actor blah blah blah,duh duh duh,they are never called nollywood actors

now Nollywood is being recognise internationally,una want to claim relationship,Ndi ori

3 Likes

Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by moshoodn(m): 10:47pm On Feb 18, 2016
sam90s:
Only 3 movies has ever grossed billions in the history of hollywood, however, I agree with you that a lot of work need to done.

First of all, I used the term "single hit". Not all Hollywood movies end up being a hit...

Secondly, tens of Hollywood movies have grossed billions.... I can't just begin to list them here... You can search it up to get more insight.

Thirdly, on our mutual premise, more work needs to be done by Nollywood.

Thanks, Sam.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by sam90s(m): 11:01pm On Feb 18, 2016
moshoodn:

First of all, I used the term "single hit". Not all Hollywood movies end up being a hit...

Secondly, tens of Hollywood movies have grossed billions.... I can't just begin to list them here... You can search it up to get more insight.

Thirdly, on our mutual premise, more work needs to be done by Nollywood.

Thanks, Sam.

I insist though, but unlike you I can begin to list them: Titanic, Avatar & Star Wars: The force awakens are the 3 movies that broke the 2billion dollar mark, the others you might be inferring are probably those that grossed above a billion but didn't hit 2, I guess we can't say they made 'billions'.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by Jacko1(m): 11:28pm On Feb 18, 2016
Nollywood get mouth oh... But asaba never feel the development
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by Kohimbino: 12:09am On Feb 19, 2016
BOWOTO:
Nigeria will be great, it's just a matter of time.

You will wait till hell freezes over. A country of tribalists and bigots.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by Nobody: 1:42am On Feb 19, 2016
What is Jonathan starring at? angry
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by preselect(m): 1:51am On Feb 19, 2016
omolola15:
I'm coming. Let me read it

**modified***

OK I don read am finish. A nice write up. But I've not watched any nollywood movie in a very long time. I hardly know the actors and actresses. I got to know Tonto dikeh on nairaland because she was always making front page back then.

Them lack quality. After so many years they still can't perfect gun shots. You'll see fire coming out of the gun's mouth. And the person shot won't have gun shot wound. And the sound is always annoying. You'll be hearing tatatatata. Na wah ooooo.

The only parts they are good at is witchcraft and touts. Also comedies as well.

You'll see how someone is stabbed or beheaded in American movies and it'll look so freaking real. I'm wondering when nollywood will get there.

Na make dem dey repeat stories with bad qualities dem sabi.

na small small. i feel you though. i hardly watch nollywood movies bc they dont impress me. poor quality etc. but look at it another way, go watch the 1993 movie "living in bondage". you'll see that they have improved a lot. they improved bc the nigerian people supported them. many africans watch nigerian movies.
this means if we support our own, they will improve with time.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by 9jageek: 2:13am On Feb 19, 2016
The International community is taking a keen interest on Nollywood and Nollywood businesses. I was shocked to see http://9flix.com featured on an international news outlet. shocked

Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by TeamSimple(m): 6:14am On Feb 19, 2016
oboy3:
Dont you think you are a lil bit old to be exhibiting '' Ostrich Wisdom''?

Be honest,when you hear the mention of Nollywood,what comes to your mind?

Heck,your actors have even refused to called Nollywood actors,Nairaland can bear me witness,when reporting stories about yoruba or Hausa actors,it is either ''yoruba actor baba suwe or kannywood actor blah blah blah,duh duh duh,they are never called nollywood actors

now Nollywood is being recognise internationally,una want to claim relationship,Ndi ori
Stop being arrogant and silly @ the same time. Where did I make mention of the Yoruba movie as being part of nollywood?
My point is not about Yoruba movies and it's relationship with nollywood,but u claiming nollywood belongs to ndi watever sounds childish and myopic and that's why I gave you short list of nollywood actors that ain't igbo and by far better and more popular than the igbos we have in nollywood.

NB: stop claiming what is collectively owned and supported by every tribe in Nigeria,Igbos contribute as much as other tribes do in Nollywood. And please what is happening to pure igbo speaking movies? How widely accepted is it?
The last time I checked Kunle Afolayan and Funke Akidele (Jenifa) are still both yorubas. Of which you can't overstress their contributions to nollywood in the international market and cinemas.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by moshoodn(m): 6:43am On Feb 19, 2016
sam90s:

I insist though, but unlike you I can begin to list them: Titanic, Avatar & Star Wars: The force awakens are the 3 movies that broke the 2billion dollar mark, the others you might be inferring are probably those that grossed above a billion but didn't hit 2, I guess we can't say they made 'billions'.

I believe anything above 1 should be pluralised... Look at Pirate of the Caribbean: Dead man chest and On stranger tides are above the 1 billion dollar mark. The avenger: age of ultron, Harry Potter and the Deathly hallows, Frozen, Transformers, Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park, and the others.

You know 1.xx billion can be called billions? So we can clear out on issue of plural.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by kay29000(m): 6:44am On Feb 19, 2016
Amaga:

I write screenplays. Currently working on a screenplay for a TV series to be shot in Abuja. Hit me up when you are ready. Can send you a sample.

Okay. I will send you a PM.
Re: New York Times Special On Nollywood by Ruq: 6:54am On Feb 19, 2016
Octaves:
With nollywood, Nigeria can have a much stronger cultural influence in Africa the wah america has on the rest of the world

It's late already, plus even Nollywood is influenced by Hollywood.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

'I Hate My Life' - Beauty BBNaija Says In Throwback Video (Watch) / Bbnaija Housemate Khloe Twerks For Rico (VIDEO) / Blood Vessel: Ratings And Review

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.