Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,465 members, 7,808,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:58 PM

'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo (60279 Views)

Buhari To Travel Tonight For Medical Followup. VP To Takeover / Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare / Former Presidents, VP's To Get A Car From Buhari In 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by lastpage: 12:22pm On Feb 20, 2016
Brilliance9000:
Ngozi is no fool...she knows whom to serve with. Obasanjo, Jonathan...yes. Buhari...No...he still a dictator, won't listen to advice!

Ngozi knew, that unlike Goodluck Jonathan, her "identified weakness" would not be tolerated and used to allow "people" to loot and embezzle, as they were doing under Jonathan.

I also suspect that Ngozi may feel intimidated by the personality of Buhari.

We all know Buhari is staunchly "Pro-Nigeria" while NOI is strongly "Pro-Bretton-Woods establishments" (like the IMF, World Bank, e.t.c).
Thus, when "push comes to shove" and the Brenton-Woods establishments want to cripple Nigeria, based on their usual, faulty economic formula (like the Structural Adjustment programme SAP or devaluation of the National currency, to the benefit of the Western World while Nigerians groan in pain),
There is certainly bound to be a "clash of ideas and personality" and trust me, Buhari will not think twice before putting her in her place
moreover, the position of Vice President is "advisory", compared to the executive powers of a President.

Its good to have insights on how the "king makers" think, at times.
This OBJ is everywhere! grin

Lastpage!

4 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by emerged01(m): 12:23pm On Feb 20, 2016
seunmsg:

Why did you think Adeosun is not fit to be the finance minister? Did you come to this conclusion as a result of her performance so far in the last three months or you are going with the skewed and bigoted narratives of the wailers from south east who are desperately trying to bring her down due to the failures of NOI?

In terms of the core duties of a finance minister, can you mention one area where she has failed so far since her appointment?

Of all the ministers in the current cabinet, can you mention just one who has so far performed excellently well?

Seriously, I don't understand why some people have continued to repeat this narrative that Kemi is not doing well, she only came on board three months ago and the first budget that she will implement is still before the National assembly for consideration. Why all these unnecessary criticism?
Thank you bro! People are just criticizing the ministers for nothing. What we only know to how do is just to complain and complain for no reason.

1 Like

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:26pm On Feb 20, 2016
obailala:
OBJ made a very good point, NOI has her weaknesses and she needs a very focused and discipline boss to cover up those flaws. Are you aware that in every area where NOI failed under GEJ, it was the exact opposite when she worked under OBJ?

All the achievements which gave NOI her fame was achieved when she worked under OBJ, from digging Nigeria out of the mud and placing her on the world economic map, clearing off debts in billions of dollars, increasing the nation's savings/reserves by over 1000% at a time when oil prices were lower, pushing Nigeria's GDP growth rate from 2% to a record 6-7%, creating a robust middle class etc. It's obvious she's good at what she does but she needs to be managed by someone strong, obviously not a GEJ, cos she apparently reversed all her achievements when she worked with GEJ.

Maybe you are right. The NOI of Obasanjo is completely different from that of GEJ. The former was amiable while the latter was a flop!

With due respect to Mrs Kemi I think she isn't a smart choice. Wale Edun would have made a huge mark. I still don't know why he wasn't given the job.
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by ozoneboy(m): 12:27pm On Feb 20, 2016
The Woman called Adeosun or what is her name,is just seating and moping like Daura dullar..d,infact two of them are from the same stock,incompetent pips,that won't agree that they are incompetent.
When NIO was there she supervised the budget anchored all the processes before it's implementation,and Sanusi as CBN governor didn't whisper one sound.But look at our incompetent Finance Minister just moping like bubu.

3 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by CyberWolf: 12:27pm On Feb 20, 2016
See the way Yorubas are running ammock on this thread cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by Obiodunukwe: 12:34pm On Feb 20, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

Maybe you are right. The NOI of Obasanjo is completely different from that of GEJ. The former was amiable while the latter was a flop!

With due respect to Mrs Kemi I think she isn't a smart choice. Wale Edun would have made a huge mark. I still don't know why he wasn't given the job.

Oga, seunmsg has asked you several times

How has she failed in her duty as Minister of Finance?

Her job is to implement the government budget. As of yet, there is no budget to implement. Is that her fault?

Secondly, what exact fiscal policies do you recommend in light of the current economic conditions? Or are you just saying it for the fun of it?

Are you recommending a tax rise or should they be lowered?

Are you referring to a more efficient tax collection system?

6 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by Obiodunukwe: 12:36pm On Feb 20, 2016
Bede2u:

If you don't thhink this budget issue is a big dent on her reign then I don't know what to tell you. For your info, the ministries of Finance and planning are the two most important in budget formulation and by extention, policy making. So yes she has not performed well and we can say that even after "three months"

How many times will they tell illiterate Igbos that the Ministry of Finance is not responsible for formulating the budget?

5 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by erico2k2(m): 12:37pm On Feb 20, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
As Coordinating minister of the Economy under Jonathan, Iwaela was mthe defacto prime minister. Under her watch, the oil price was at all time high but nothin came out. Reserve was depleted, ECA was depleted(thanks to Govs), yet we had no infrastructure on ground to boost our economy. NOI kept rollin out figures and statistics that had no reflection in reality. I think she should be allowed to rest.

As for Adeosun, I think she isn't fit enough for the job of finance minister. Maybe she assume that her british tongue is enough to handle Nigeria economy.

I'll sugest that Buhari hire the former commissioner of finance that served under Tinubu or any home-grown professional.
So U forgot the savings agenda brought in by GEJ and the Saint Ameachi coalition took him to court and warn and then the money was shared?
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by Preevia(m): 12:40pm On Feb 20, 2016
I do agree with you.but its difficult to succeed in a monoeconomy, let alone a mixed economy with so many social policies.government spend the larger part of our income on recurrent expenditure.apart from the extralegal economy we operate, how many people even pay tax to the government? Its not adeosuns fault.if everyone is blaming her it does not mean she is the cause.tell me from an economic point of view what she could have done to save the country.conventional wisdom is not always correct
TonyeBarcanista:
As Coordinating minister of the Economy under Jonathan, Iwaela was mthe defacto prime minister. Under her watch, the oil price was at all time high but nothin came out. Reserve was depleted, ECA was depleted(thanks to Govs), yet we had no infrastructure on ground to boost our economy. NOI kept rollin out figures and statistics that had no reflection in reality. I think she should be allowed to rest.

As for Adeosun, I think she isn't fit enough for the job of finance minister. Maybe she assume that her british tongue is enough to handle Nigeria economy.

I'll sugest that Buhari hire the former commissioner of finance that served under Tinubu or any home-grown professional.
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by Lilimax(f): 12:42pm On Feb 20, 2016
Btruth:
Is Ngosi from APC nii? A bi kilo nse Baba yii gan self?
With the current state of mess in Nigeria, your party is no longer relevant. From the look of things APC and PDP has no difference undecided
We need technocrats that will salvage this nation from this sinking state. embarassed

1 Like

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by Bede2u(m): 12:43pm On Feb 20, 2016
Obiodunukwe:

How many times will they tell illiterate Igbos that the Ministry of Finance is not responsible for formulating the budget?
About Us

The enactment of this Act created the ministry as a replacement for the then Finance Department and conferred on it the responsibility for the control and management of Public Finances of the Federation. The act became operational from July 31, 1958. The broad functions and responsibilities of the ministry as provided by the Act fall into the following categories:

General Supervision and control of public funds of the Federation, including Development and Contingencies Funds;

Management and control of Consolidated Revenue Fund;

Securing and managing the investments of the Federation;
[/b]Preparation of Annual (budgetary) estimates in Appropriation Bill including Supplementary and Unexpected votes;
Control and management of public expenditures;[/b]
Control and management of external finances of the federation.

http://www.finance.gov.ng/index.php/78-featured/72-welcome

I guess you are the illiterate yoruba youth now huh?

2 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by homosapien(m): 12:45pm On Feb 20, 2016
Naughtysite:

Everyone know say Nah Igbo man go save this country..

Soludo, Buhari no gree give am Minister of Finance.

Before Igbo's will save Nigeria, Igbo's should first save Abia , Imo, Enugu, Anambra, and Ebony. When you turn all this States to dubai, Malaysia etc then you can come back to save Nigeria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by callJesu: 12:46pm On Feb 20, 2016
No matter what you can't dictate for the masses, she's good though but some dirty clicks
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by Deepfreezer(m): 12:48pm On Feb 20, 2016
ChappyChase:

Would she have performed credibly well, if given the chance? To me, I doubt that!
Do you even read She turned the VP offer down. she is principled and believe it or not if she was around this economy won't be like this.
A prophet isn't respected in his home.

1 Like

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by Preevia(m): 12:49pm On Feb 20, 2016
Nigerian politics is now like our football.everyone is a coach in nigeria, likewise politics.so everyone can now type rubbish, and feels he is making a point.educated dullards everywhere in this country.smh
ozoneboy:
The Woman called Adeosun or what is her name,is just seating and moping like Daura dullar..d,infact two of them are from the same stock,incompetent pips,that won't agree that they are incompetent.
When NIO was there she supervised the budget anchored all the processes before it's implementation,and Sanusi as CBN governor didn't whisper one sound.But look at our incompetent Finance Minister just moping like bubu.
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by discusant: 12:59pm On Feb 20, 2016
[b]Obasanjo takes pride in fixing who rules Nigeria.
Kitikpa.. Amadioha.... gbosa for una front shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Thank Goodness Ngozi Okonjo Iwealla refused your Obasanjo's ways of fixing leaders - she refusedd to pair with Buhari. Whatever you do, the buck stops on the table of the president. Those with Buhari now are not all eediots, but final decision on the conomy must be taken by President Bubu who hardly knows what economics of today is all about . This is not the years of western Germany as President Bubu believed.

For Nigerians who believe in Nigeria, see how hour leaders are hand-picked at every turn by one or few persons - beginning from Obasanjo in 1998 to late Yar'Adua, to Jonathan and to Buhari who before 2014 had openly declared that he had gone to retirement from politics, but was hand-picked to come back and beat all the young, better-educated and richer men during the APC primaries.

Next, another hand-picked leader - so long as the present rigged political structure and bad governance system remain.[/b]
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by petermichaels(m): 1:05pm On Feb 20, 2016
Hmmn!! dis nonsense wen dem spell am for get sense inside am as obvious. but d problem is not Mrs. Ngozi, e for be the Buhugari,he is an islamist and e for b against him "haram". At d soda hand who ar u Oba-sarajo. go and fix yor home.

1 Like

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by stonemasonn: 1:05pm On Feb 20, 2016
nwaanambra1:
av once thought about that and i concluded in all honesty that they would av made a perfect combo.

ngozi is brilliant but she needs a strong hand with an iron brush to make her brilliance shine. GEJ doesn't have it. he is too corrupt and he ended up bringing out the worst of her. undecided
GEJ is not too corrupt, he is just too weak.

1 Like

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by Mayflowa(m): 1:07pm On Feb 20, 2016
Brilliance9000:
Ngozi is no fool...she knows whom to serve with. Obasanjo, Jonathan...yes. Buhari...No...he still a dictator, won't listen to advice!

I feel is more like a honour thing. She wouldn't leave Jonathan to serve with his rival Buhari. Obasanjo and Jonathan were in good terms, in fact political father-son. So it was easy for her to make such decision/transition then.

1 Like

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by josites(m): 1:07pm On Feb 20, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

but the price of dollar was not 400; garri and rice not costly, economic meltdown we never witnessed, workers weren't relieved of jobs, Go into d market now and see the prices of goods.
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by haconjy(m): 1:08pm On Feb 20, 2016
I will love the combination but I know okonjo will never agree due dictatorship...
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by semitunde: 1:09pm On Feb 20, 2016
Bede2u:

If you don't thhink this budget issue is a big dent on her reign then I don't know what to tell you. For your info, the ministries of Finance and planning are the two most important in budget formulation and by extention, policy making. So yes she has not performed well and we can say that even after "three months"

If you have a company that has a finance office and the quantity surveying (Q.S.) office, who does the Bill of Quantities (BOQ)?
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by gbishman: 1:09pm On Feb 20, 2016
This Obasanjo really thinks he has the solution to Nigerias problem.
I actually begining to see him as Nigerias problem
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by stonemasonn: 1:13pm On Feb 20, 2016
Bede2u:

About Us

The enactment of this Act created the ministry as a replacement for the then Finance Department and conferred on it the responsibility for the control and management of Public Finances of the Federation. The act became operational from July 31, 1958. The broad functions and responsibilities of the ministry as provided by the Act fall into the following categories:

General Supervision and control of public funds of the Federation, including Development and Contingencies Funds;

Management and control of Consolidated Revenue Fund;

Securing and managing the investments of the Federation;
[/b]Preparation of Annual (budgetary) estimates in Appropriation Bill including Supplementary and Unexpected votes;
Control and management of public expenditures;[/b]
Control and management of external finances of the federation.

http://www.finance.gov.ng/index.php/78-featured/72-welcome

I guess you are the illiterate yoruba youth now huh?
My friend "Preparation of Annual (budgetary) estimates in Appropriation Bill including Supplementary and Unexpected votes;" is now handle by a separate ministry.

2 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by discusant: 1:13pm On Feb 20, 2016
stonemasonn:
GEJ is not too corrupt, he is just too weak.

GEJ is the least corrupt president Nigeria ever had - he was too weak a president, ever fearful of Arewa and Yaraiba. He said 16 years in govt was like in a cage.
Methinks, that's why he barely campaigned for re-election, and before the last presidential results were announced, GEJ had already conceded to Buhari.

Now if Buhari goes after GEJ, Jonathan shall know what a real cage is like. You don't tell the deaf that there is pandemonium in the market place.

1 Like

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by Oneafter: 1:13pm On Feb 20, 2016
HiddenShadow:

Unfortunately the Yoruba woman brain don shut down on what to do.

Tribal bigots like you dont end well. The hatred in you will surely consume you soon.
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by ohenhen1: 1:16pm On Feb 20, 2016
NOI should explain to Nigerians why there is fraud in the 2014 and 2015 budget.
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by Nobody: 1:20pm On Feb 20, 2016
PoliticalThuG:
$1 = 400 naira
it would have happened irrespective of who is finance minister: @ $30 a barrel it doesn't matter who is finance minister, Naira will fall, except you think it is because of Adeosun that Oil prices are falling. It was already falling under NOI before she left office as Oil prices started to fall.

Furthermore (not that I disgree with his policies) but the other major reason for the fall in Naira are CBN policies. Firstly towards foreign portfolio holders which caused them to pull out of our financial markets and the restriction of forex for certain non-esssential items. Again I stress just as I don't disagree with the CBN policies, what exactly do you expect Adeosun to do to strengthen the Naira in the time she's been in office? Oil our main source of forex is down, and we import everything. Where is she supposed to get the forex from?

3 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by Oneafter: 1:21pm On Feb 20, 2016
seunmsg:

Why did you think Adeosun is not fit to be the finance minister? Did you come to this conclusion as a result of her performance so far in the last three months or you are going with the skewed and bigoted narratives of the wailers from south east who are desperately trying to bring her down due to the failures of NOI?

In terms of the core duties of a finance minister, can you mention one area where she has failed so far since her appointment?

Of all the ministers in the current cabinet, can you mention just one who has so far performed excellently well?

Seriously, I don't understand why some people have continued to repeat this narrative that Kemi is not doing well, she only came on board three months ago and the first budget that she will implement is still before the National assembly for consideration. Why all these unnecessary criticism?

God bless you. Her only sin is because she is Yoruba.
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by Oneafter: 1:22pm On Feb 20, 2016
CyberWolf:
See the way Yorubas are running ammock on this thread cheesy grin

Shutup bigot.
Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by TeamSimple(m): 1:23pm On Feb 20, 2016
HiddenShadow:
Have you guys observed that whenever the useless ethno religious bigots are in a financial mess, they turn to the most hated tribe( Igbo) for a solution out of the mess they created.
Thank God say no be ibo man be Dangote..we for no hear word for africa.
If you making your statement based on what obj has said,then I can also deduce from it that every brilliant igbo man/woman still need a Yoruba man/woman to put his/her brain to work effectively. Because NOI brain only seem to work perfectly when being monitored by a Yoruba man (Obasanjo).

5 Likes

Re: 'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo by Avelo: 1:23pm On Feb 20, 2016
obailala:
OBJ made a very good point, NOI has her weaknesses and she needs a very focused and discipline boss to cover up those flaws. Are you aware that in every area where NOI failed under GEJ, it was the exact opposite when she worked under OBJ?

All the achievements which gave NOI her fame was achieved when she worked under OBJ, from digging Nigeria out of the mud and placing her on the world economic map, clearing off debts in billions of dollars, increasing the nation's savings/reserves by over 1000% at a time when oil prices were lower, pushing Nigeria's GDP growth rate from 2% to a record 6-7%, creating a robust middle class etc. It's obvious she's good at what she does but she needs to be managed by someone strong, obviously not a GEJ, cos she apparently reversed all her achievements when she worked with GEJ. All these achievements you quoted require political clout or cover to achieve. Her brief is to present these ideas to the president and it is for the president to expend political capital to see the ideas to fruition. That jona no do am doesnt in anyway reflect badly on ngozi.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Stanley Lawson Purchased Le-Meridien Hotel In Port Harcourt For Diezani -SaharaR / List Of States Yet To Get Ministerial Nominees / Ben Murray-Bruce: If Those 3 Million Super Eagles Jerseys Were Made In Aba...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.