Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,315 members, 7,780,766 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:32 PM

Why Do Nigerians Treat Foreigners Differently? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Nigerians Treat Foreigners Differently? (1012 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Carry Babies On Their Backs? / Foreigners On A Courtesy Visit To Ooni Of Ife Refuse To Kneel Before The Monarch / Why Do Nigerians Confuse Bride Price And Dowry. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Treat Foreigners Differently? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Feb 21, 2016
Sometimes I ask myself if Africa will ever be emancipated from butt licking and low self-esteem issues. I have seen people’s composure, demeanor and carriage fall apart and turn embarrassing just because they are in the presence of foreigners, and I ask myself, why should it be so, does it mean we actually accept that they are ‘more equal’ than we are .
So, on Friday I was at the Corporate HQ of a firm, but given that the person I came to see was in a meeting, I just decided to hang on a balcony which was adjacent to the gate.
Now, before unidentified vehicles drive in, the security guys will first of all inquire if u have an appointment, and with who, look inside your car, and still ask you to open your boot for them to take a look, all these will be done before they open the gate. To me all these were routine, but then the cars that have driven in so far where ‘regular ‘ cars, so I thought deep down that a sophisticated car may skip those checks, but this was not to be, as a Range Rover 2015 model that drove in still was checked.
Now came the shocker, after few minutes 4 Chinese men drove to the gate, and right in front of me , the security guy at the sight of the Chinese men, did not utter a word or even step outside before he threw the gates wide open . I was bewildered, he even stood in salute for them as they drove in, seeing what happened, his colleague shouted and asked him, ‘you don start, why you no check that one’, he answered ‘nawa for you oo, that one no go carry anything, you think say he go just come here if he no get appointment?’
At that juncture I understood that to the security man, just because those guys were Chinese, they are beyond crime. Then I wondered why we treat these people like gods in their own country, and still treat them like gods in our own country.
Lalasticlala Mynd44

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Treat Foreigners Differently? by theshaderoom: 9:55pm On Feb 21, 2016
Exactly. It can be annoying
Re: Why Do Nigerians Treat Foreigners Differently? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Feb 21, 2016
theshaderoom:
Exactly. It can be annoying
sometimes I ask myself why Nigerians are so sycophantic, I often feel disgusted at this
Re: Why Do Nigerians Treat Foreigners Differently? by Nobody: 4:26am On Feb 22, 2016
I've seen this story here before. My friend, stop recycling two year old stories!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Treat Foreigners Differently? by Junior66(m): 7:16am On Feb 22, 2016
nigerians generally treat visitors specially irrespective of their colour.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Treat Foreigners Differently? by ksynya2015(f): 11:56am On Feb 22, 2016
People treat the others completely differently most because of cultural misunderstanding between different nationalities. The thing which is considered exceptable for one, may supposed as the strongest way of expressing neglection and unrespection. Wiev more inadmissible things not to do in Nigeria -
https://ask.naij.com/culture/what-are-cultural-taboos-in-nigeria-i23988.html
Re: Why Do Nigerians Treat Foreigners Differently? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Feb 22, 2016
7Alexander:
Sometimes I ask myself if Africa will ever be emancipated from butt licking and low self-esteem issues. I have seen people’s composure, demeanor and carriage fall apart and turn embarrassing just because they are in the presence of foreigners, and I ask myself, why should it be so, does it mean we actually accept that they are ‘more equal’ than we are .
So, on Friday I was at the Corporate HQ of a firm, but given that the person I came to see was in a meeting, I just decided to hang on a balcony which was adjacent to the gate.
Now, before unidentified vehicles drive in, the security guys will first of all inquire if u have an appointment, and with who, look inside your car, and still ask you to open your boot for them to take a look, all these will be done before they open the gate. To me all these were routine, but then the cars that have driven in so far where ‘regular ‘ cars, so I thought deep down that a sophisticated car may skip those checks, but this was not to be, as a Range Rover 2015 model that drove in still was checked.
Now came the shocker, after few minutes 4 Chinese men drove to the gate, and right in front of me , the security guy at the sight of the Chinese men, did not utter a word or even step outside before he threw the gates wide open . I was bewildered, he even stood in salute for them as they drove in, seeing what happened, his colleague shouted and asked him, ‘you don start, why you no check that one’, he answered ‘nawa for you oo, that one no go carry anything, you think say he go just come here if he no get appointment?’
At that juncture I understood that to the security man, just because those guys were Chinese, they are beyond crime. Then I wondered why we treat these people like gods in their own country, and still treat them like gods in our own country.
Odumchi, bigfrancis21

I hope they can tell Arabs apart from other foreigners. Those are the ones that load vehicles with weapons of mass destruction.

(1) (Reply)

Meet The Unsung Heroes, Scientist And Scholars Of African Origin / Photos : Two Nigerian Muslim Women Under Serious Fire For “dabbing” In Mecca - / What Do You Think About Superstitious Beliefs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.