Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,145 members, 7,807,465 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:51 PM

Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' (67906 Views)

Breaking: DSS Arrests Ifeanyi Ubah Over N11b Oil Theft / Take A Look At Ifeanyi Ubah's House / Ifeanyi Ubah's Car Gift To Ikechukwu Emeka Onyia's Wife (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by ellabooz(f): 2:53pm On Feb 22, 2016
Bevista:
Ordinarily, I should not comment on this thread since Ubah has not mentioned how he would go about it. However, for the benefit of those who might get swayed by his cheap claims, I'll say something.
---
The exchange rate (PRICE of dollars) is determined primarily by SUPPLY of dollars (through exports, FDIs, foreign borrowing, etc) and DEMAND for dollars (through imports, payments of foreign school fees/medical bills, online purchases, etc). The NET flow of these transactions determine the Balance of Payments (BOP) account with the Central Bank. Elementary economics tells us that when demand exceeds supply, prices go up!
---
Coming back to Nigeria, it is well known that oil accounts for 95% of our FX earnings. As oil prices have collapsed from ~$100 in 2014 to ~$30, our supply of dollars has dropped tremendously. This is even worse when one considers that our cost of oil production is ~$20/bbl, meaning that our dollar revenue from oil has dropped from ~$80/bbl to ~$10/bbl. On the demand side, the request for imports are increasing. With such supply shock and increasing demand, there is only one way for the exchange rate to go. This is basic economics and has nothing to do with Emefiele or Buhari, except you are simply being mischievous or grossly ignorant.
---
When oil collapsed from around $147 to $38 due to the 2008 Global Financial Crisis (GFC), Nigeria had a Foreign Reserve of ~$62bn. The then CBN Governor had to spend ~$20bn from the Reserves to meet import demand thereby preventing devaluation/depreciation. Between 2011 & 2014, oil price was above $100, meaning that the administration never had a dollar supply problem and so could maintain a stable exchange rate. Fast forward to late 2014 when oil prices slid to ~$60, the CBN had to devalue the Naira twice within a period of 6 months (Nov 2014 & Feb 2015) because the Reserves were too low (<$35bn) to deplete to support imports. Now in 2016, oil prices are around $30/bbl while FX Reserves is less than $28bn. The supply shock has reached unprecedented levels, yet demand for imports has not decreased. There is absolutely no way that the exchange rate can stay below N250/$. Simple economics says that price will continue to move till a new equilibrium is reached where demand equates supply.
---
There is no policy from Emefiele, Soludo, Greenspan, Bernanke or any other Central Bank governor that can strengthen the Naira in the near term. Except we want to completely deplete the Reserves or go to the IMF to borrow SDRs just to meet import demands. Brace up folks, if oil price collapses to $20 (thereby increasing the supply shock) the exchange rate shall hit N1000/$ and I repeat, this has nothing to do with Emefiele or Buhari but simply economic forces. The only thing that can save the Naira is either for SUPPLY of dollars to increase (through high oil price) or DEMAND to reduce. Since we do not have control over the supply side, we can at least focus on managing the demand side.
---
So Mr Ifeanyi Ubah, you have zero knowledge on what you are talking about. With all the money you made from the last government, you can start by building a refinery or some other manufacturing facility (like Dangote) to help us substitute for imports. That would help the Naira more than you seeking cheap consultancy from the government. Or except you want to broker a deal for the government to give amnesty to your Dasuki-Gate friends, so they can bring out stashed up dollars from soakaways and graveyards to support the economy.

Choi ,so you knew all these and you kept quiet when they were calling for GEJ ' s head for this issue in last administration.
You shall be dealt with thesame measure used for Jonathan, no excuses.
Your narration is here by declared absurd and useless.
Thanks

But you try shaaaa

1 Like

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by Favolly(f): 2:53pm On Feb 22, 2016
They should allow him perform his magic...

Afterwards, he will join the presidency race in 2019 and we shall vote for him tongue

Afterall, we didn't learn maths in school for nothing; If it takes Ubah 1 month to bring 1 dollar to N200 from N400, how long will it take him to bring 1 dollar to N1 from N200?

I kid! I kid! tongue tongue
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by Bevista: 2:54pm On Feb 22, 2016
mcgaius:
In case you don't know,anything that has to do with the government has to follow a due process.Uba cannot force himself on the government.He has made his claim.Its now left for the government to give him a trial.
So, assuming the government does not reach out to him, can't he discuss the issues publicly? That way, anyone in government can hear and maybe implement it. Why is the information coded?

1 Like

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by ozoemenaca: 2:54pm On Feb 22, 2016
Ifeanyi Uba can do it

2 Likes

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by Mboi: 2:54pm On Feb 22, 2016
fortune1968:
Some people can believe Anything !
Including you who believed Buhari when he said he'll make $1 equal to N1 and voted for him. If they talk if those zombies that believe anything, you are one of them.

2 Likes

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by repogirl(f): 2:55pm On Feb 22, 2016
Lol, these are tall promises o but I won't be surprised sha if he can do it, our problem is Boooohari and his team of dullardettes.

Bunch of incompetent people deceiving themselves.

Employing media advisers but no single economic adviser, cheiiii!!!

1 Like

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by blackboy(m): 2:56pm On Feb 22, 2016
APC started the lies to Nigerian but this man soes not understand, Nigerian want big lies not realistic lies say something like I will make 50kobo to 50cents. Nigerians will listen to you. Now you are making yourself an object of ridicle
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by Bevista: 2:56pm On Feb 22, 2016
ellabooz:
Choi ,so you knew all these and you kept quiet when they were calling for GEJ ' s head for this issue in last administration.
You shall be dealt with thesame measure used for Jonathan, no excuses.
Your narration is here by declared absurd and useless.
Thanks

But you try shaaaa
It's not about me. I'm not taking sides for/against Buhari or Jonathan. I am only making an objective economic analysis of the situation.

1 Like

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by yaki84: 2:56pm On Feb 22, 2016
Bevista:
Ordinarily, I should not comment on this thread since Ubah has not mentioned how he would go about it. However, for the benefit of those who might get swayed by his cheap claims, I'll say something.
---
The exchange rate (PRICE of dollars) is determined primarily by SUPPLY of dollars (through exports, FDIs, foreign borrowing, etc) and DEMAND for dollars (through imports, payments of foreign school fees/medical bills, online purchases, etc). The NET flow of these transactions determine the Balance of Payments (BOP) account with the Central Bank. Elementary economics tells us that when demand exceeds supply, prices go up!
---
Coming back to Nigeria, it is well known that oil accounts for 95% of our FX earnings. As oil prices have collapsed from ~$100 in 2014 to ~$30, our supply of dollars has dropped tremendously. This is even worse when one considers that our cost of oil production is ~$20/bbl, meaning that our dollar revenue from oil has dropped from ~$80/bbl to ~$10/bbl. On the demand side, the request for imports are increasing. With such supply shock and increasing demand, there is only one way for the exchange rate to go. This is basic economics and has nothing to do with Emefiele or Buhari, except you are simply being mischievous or grossly ignorant.
---
When oil collapsed from around $147 to $38 due to the 2008 Global Financial Crisis (GFC), Nigeria had a Foreign Reserve of ~$62bn. The then CBN Governor had to spend ~$20bn from the Reserves to meet import demand thereby preventing devaluation/depreciation. Between 2011 & 2014, oil price was above $100, meaning that the administration never had a dollar supply problem and so could maintain a stable exchange rate. Fast forward to late 2014 when oil prices slid to ~$60, the CBN had to devalue the Naira twice within a period of 6 months (Nov 2014 & Feb 2015) because the Reserves were too low (<$35bn) to deplete to support imports. Now in 2016, oil prices are around $30/bbl while FX Reserves is less than $28bn. The supply shock has reached unprecedented levels, yet demand for imports has not decreased. There is absolutely no way that the exchange rate can stay below N250/$. Simple economics says that price will continue to move till a new equilibrium is reached where demand equates supply.
---
There is no policy from Emefiele, Soludo, Greenspan, Bernanke or any other Central Bank governor that can strengthen the Naira in the near term. Except we want to completely deplete the Reserves or go to the IMF to borrow SDRs just to meet import demands. Brace up folks, if oil price collapses to $20 (thereby increasing the supply shock) the exchange rate shall hit N1000/$ and I repeat, this has nothing to do with Emefiele or Buhari but simply economic forces. The only thing that can save the Naira is either for SUPPLY of dollars to increase (through high oil price) or DEMAND to reduce. Since we do not have control over the supply side, we can at least focus on managing the demand side.
---
So Mr Ifeanyi Ubah, you have zero knowledge on what you are talking about. With all the money you made from the last government, you can start by building a refinery or some other manufacturing facility (like Dangote) to help us substitute for imports. That would help the Naira more than you seeking cheap consultancy from the government. Or except you want to broker a deal for the government to give amnesty to your Dasuki-Gate friends, so they can bring out stashed up dollars from soakaways and graveyards to support the economy.

with ur analysis up there it means american dollar shud be superior to uk pounds cos thier foreign reserve is much than that of uk, or is uk economy better than usa own
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by kalebsky: 2:57pm On Feb 22, 2016
Bevista:
---
---
---
---
---

I guess...u are still a learner....
its possible and realistic... QUOTE me anywhere
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by jtjohn(m): 2:57pm On Feb 22, 2016
Bevista:
---
---
---
---
---
Nice one
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by MissingBudget: 2:57pm On Feb 22, 2016
APC fans will attack him but they believed Buhari's $1=#1.
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by josnig1980(f): 2:58pm On Feb 22, 2016
THE MAN NA FROM ANAMBRA STATE NNEWI IGBO GET TOO MUCH MONEY grin grin grin grin
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by mcgaius: 2:59pm On Feb 22, 2016
Bevista:
So, assuming the government does not reach out to him, can't he discuss the issues publicly? That way, anyone in government can hear and maybe implement it. Why is the information coded?

He has to be consulted because of APC propaganda kind of governance.Its all their making when the going is good and its another mans fault when the going is bad.The government has to accept the fact that they need help.
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by onyxo76(m): 2:59pm On Feb 22, 2016
i wonder how someone will so bold to tell us this on National Tv, is there something this man sees that we are not seeing? We have seen some very good economic write ups on this issue on this thread, but then for someone to even boast of having his properties and business seized if he fails to achieve what he says he will speaks volumes....
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by banmee(m): 3:00pm On Feb 22, 2016
I can too. All I need is pen and paper.
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by Mboi: 3:01pm On Feb 22, 2016
ubah84:
who stop him?what chance does he want?
He needs to get a chance and approval from govt because what he wants to follow formal procedure and due process. Before someone say such publicly, he already has his blue print. Everybody is not Bubu who just say things anyhow.
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by Itydee(m): 3:02pm On Feb 22, 2016
DId Buhari proffer any solution to Boko Haram debacle even when The Boko Boys asked him to come mediate on their behalf?
Why are you asking Ubah to proffer solution when he is not asked to do. Do you know the conditions prevalent prior to rendering such solutions?
mcgaius:

You are part of our problem.Nigeria has many people like you and yet we suffer in the mist of plenty.Imagine you have this knowledge yet we are still sinking in hardship.I guess if the guy that invented air plane has shared his idea with you,you would have discouraged him saying its not possible and quoting all the ancient science that you know.lets give that guy a chance lets know if he really has something to offer so that we do not treat him like a certain Dr Agbalaka who claimed he has the cure for HIV only for the Nigerian medical association threatened him till they killed his dream. You are a typical black man
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by emi14: 3:03pm On Feb 22, 2016
millionaireman:
Buhari to consult you?

Why can't you be president of Nigeria to achieve the feat?

Because the skewed political structure of Nigeria that makes Arewa politicians largely dictate who presides over Nigeria won't let Uba become president of Nigeria.

Nigerians must first understand that the skewed political structure of Nigeria which made once one northern Nigeria federating unit become 20 federating units, while the two southern federating units yielded only 17 federating units, that's the problem with Nigeria.

Restructure the polity first such that Arewa politicians shall no longer have the capacity to throw out such leaders like Obasanjo, Buhari, etc.
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by Bevista: 3:03pm On Feb 22, 2016
dancewith:
I beg to disagree on some of your assertion. Contrary to your position we do have control over the supply side. Which is by encouraging and promoting exports. At the moment the FG's policies doesn't .

I stated earlier that the current mismatch of demand and supply giving rise to galloping prices present's a unique opportunity for Nigerians to boost export and export initiatives. Woods, charcoal, lead ore, zinc, cash crops abound which we could easily take advantage of to earn foreign exchange thereby boosting supply

But what does the FG do? They force exporters to sell their export proceeds to the already rich commercial banks at the ridiculous rate of N197. This clearly is a policy targeted against boosting export. Pray, why won't prices continue to rise when you are discouraging imports and exports at the same time
I said that there is nothing that can be done "in the near term". Of course, export promotion can help supply but that is long term. No export policy today can yield results in the next 12 months Our priority should even be import substitution before thinking exports.

1 Like

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by nikaleyot: 3:03pm On Feb 22, 2016
SegunAdewole:

Don't worry my family and I are safe,some are even citizens of saner countries uninhabited by zombies. You zombies brought this government into power. Those of us who knew you were scammed started preparing for this eventuality long ago. The zombies are the only ones shocked and unprepared, we were prepared. The country is going to crash on you and YOU ZOMBIES ALONE for your political stupidity. When you all die of hunger and starvation and go into existinct for the curse you brought upon yourself, the prepared ones like us will continue to exist. A natural evolutionary phenomenon key for the existence of ONLY sane humans.

Are you for real? Do you have a brain? We re talking about global economics and you re talking about who the people decided to vote into office. I hope you won't die of your hatred for Bubu.

1 Like

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by emi14: 3:03pm On Feb 22, 2016
Out of point
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by Infinitikoncept(m): 3:04pm On Feb 22, 2016
kumakunta:

From 130 to 225 under 7months?

And why should it rise in progression when we sold oil for 70dollars during his tenure. We had better balance of payment due to better crude oil sales.
Quote your source abeg
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by banmee(m): 3:05pm On Feb 22, 2016
Bugatie:

Stop the grammar and give him a chance, besides he has not asked to be paid or given appointment.

Which chance? Nigerians will never learn. Have you forgotten that is how Buhari became president? I will do this and that, and nobody bothered to ask how.
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by stevecantrell: 3:06pm On Feb 22, 2016
kumakunta:
Why didn't he stop the dollar from rising during his master GEJs tenure.

That's the golden question.
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by Krismart(m): 3:06pm On Feb 22, 2016
simplycarro:

If you so much trust that dude, how do you think he can do it.?
If everybody knows then no need consulting him. He has been a successful business man. Why not FG call him and listen to d nonsense he has to say after all noting will be lost by that

1 Like

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by millionaireman: 3:07pm On Feb 22, 2016
Bevista:
---
---
---
---
---

Didn't former Nigerian governments quickly adjust to oil price falls, as you conveniently mislead your ignorant followers with the untenable excuse that the crumbling value of the Naira is because of shortfall from oil revenues?

Do you even know that oil proceeds are not paid to Nigeria immediately after sourced?

Is this the first oil down-price shock in Nigeria?

Good leadership entails being capable to adjust to shocks, and not let shocks drown your country.

How did countries battered by the last depression of 2008 quickly adjust to normalcy?

Did they wait for income from exports to halt a possible downward drift of their country's currencies? No.

Continue with your devil's advocate position.

3 Likes

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by mcgaius: 3:07pm On Feb 22, 2016
onyxo76:
i wonder how someone will so bold to tell us this on National Tv, is there something this man sees that we are not seeing? We have seen some very good economic write ups on this issue on this thread, but then for someone to even boast of having his properties and business seized if he fails to achieve what he says he will speaks volumes....

You wonder?but you believed PMB's 1usd = 1 naira.thats f00lishzess on your part
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by simplycarro: 3:08pm On Feb 22, 2016
Krismart:
If everybody knows then no need consulting him. He has been a successful business man. Why not FG call him and listen to d nonsense he has to say after all noting will be lost by that

He should freely give the advice. He doesn't need to make a show out of it.
Like other Nigerians are contributing to the debate on how to help the Naira.
He should simply use his newspaper outfit to organize a talk show like the Cable newspaper did and espouse his ideas.
We need everyone to help deepen the debate on the way forward, and not this cheap attempt at attention.

1 Like

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by Nobody: 3:08pm On Feb 22, 2016
Well I trust the guy I remember what haPpend last may.maybe he has so magic up in his sleeve

1 Like

Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by toma3: 3:09pm On Feb 22, 2016
anambarian hold Nigerian economy
Re: Ifeanyi Ubah: 'I Can Bring The US-Dollar To N200 In One Month' by Nobody: 3:11pm On Feb 22, 2016
ubecharles:
. Why are very poor countries like Zambia, Malawi, gambia, Ghana etc without a drop of oil to export have favourable exchange rate with the dollar and even superior to the naira

They obviously have other exports and not as much imports.

DT was also d case for Nigeria in d 50's, 60's and 70's when we had insignificant imports. At least everything in our kitchens were Nigerian made. Down to d wood and charcoal we used to cook.

And 80% of d clothes we wore were Tailor Lauren wtout all d fake things women attach these to their hair, skin & body these days.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Femi Otedola's First Automobile As A Kid In Throwback Photo / See What I Saw In My Save After Six Month's (Photos) / Help!!! I Mistakenly Sent N1m To A Uber Driver

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.