Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,725 members, 7,805,969 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:31 AM

Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad (25917 Views)

"My Sister Sold My Land In Ogun" - Deported Man Who Came Back From Abroad / Vacant / Do You Import Building Materials From Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 9:37pm On Mar 23, 2016
More view of the space for the building
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 9:51pm On Mar 23, 2016
I wonder how long would this iron rods be on ground before it becomes unusable. Or does it ever become unsuable for lying on the ground for so long. It has been in that position for about a month less the long with the supplier.

Any better storage methods. I intend buying them in bits untill they are complete. And for the 5bedroom duplex I have been told that 120-Y16 400-Y12 & 300-Y10 will go a long way and I am working at getting those on ground b4 commencing the project.

Ant suggestions as storage, quantity estimated, etc please help

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by LondonCool(m): 4:54am On Mar 24, 2016
Good job. I started a similar poject from the diaspora (still ongoing).

You can check my thread for updates and comparable experiences.

https://www.nairaland.com/2599016/construction-3-bedroom-bungalow-penthouse

2 Likes

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 12:22am On Mar 25, 2016
LondonCool:

Thanks Boss

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Nobody: 12:32am On Mar 25, 2016
Mayor78:

Thanks Boss

Ask LondonCool what happened in 1945? grin

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by spyder880(m): 12:50am On Mar 25, 2016
Mayor78:
I wonder how long would this iron rods be on ground before it becomes unusable. Or does it ever become unsuable for lying on the ground for so long. It has been in that position for about a month less the long with the supplier.

Any better storage methods. I intend buying them in bits untill they are complete. And for the 5bedroom duplex I have been told that 120-Y16 400-Y12 & 300-Y10 will go a long way and I am working at getting those on ground b4 commencing the project.

Ant suggestions as storage, quantity estimated, etc please help

This is great bro! I pray it all goes smoothly till we see the beautiful pictures of the completed house.

On the iron rods, keeping them off the ground will prevent elongated contact with the moist grounds in this wet season. They can do this by placing some wood on the ground before loading the rods on it. But I pray you get to use them soonest. Well done Sir.

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 3:27am On Mar 25, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Ask LondonCool what happened in 1945? grin

Abi 1976 as e don tell us the Eta Bassey '93 soujourn.

LondonCool:
Abeg wetin happen for 1976 and EgunMogaji wan know wetin happen for 1945 too. Chineke! Abasi tuomumbo!

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 3:33am On Mar 25, 2016
spyder880:

This is great bro! I pray it all goes smoothly till we see the beautiful pictures of the completed house.

On the iron rods, keeping them off the ground will prevent elongated contact with the moist grounds in this wet season. They can do this by placing some wood on the ground before loading the rods on it. But I pray you get to use them soonest. Well done Sir.

Thanks a lot Prof. for shipping in that valuable advise. I will ask them to keep the rods off the ground immediately.

What would you say about the quantity guestimated to complete the project?
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Nobody: 9:16am On Mar 25, 2016
Mayor78:

Abi 1976 as e don tell us the Eta Bassey '93 soujourn.

Abeg wetin happen for 1976 and EgunMogaji wan know wetin happen for 1945 too. Chineke! Abasi tuomumbo!

Im not sure about the date, heck I'm not sure about most stuff anymore.

I've been sick since I landed here sad
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 9:24pm On Mar 28, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Im not sure about the date, heck I'm not sure about most stuff anymore.

I've been sick since I landed here sad

Welcome Naija.
The sun no be moi moi. It has this potential to discomfort fresh entrants. But don't worry, you will overcome it bruv!
If you think it's getting out hand just reconfirm your ticket quick. Quick recovery though.

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 3:22am On Mar 31, 2016
The borehole project is now completed, the borehole diggers have found a clear water at a depth of 90feet. Quite below what we were meant to envisage. The waterpump and aluminium pan have been inserted, the pipes totalling 7 lenghts out of 9 purchased have been inserted and the water is now flowing freely from the borehole to the tanks. That's great, innit? The borehole project was achieved on a total cost of N332K covering the following items;

Workmanship - N210,000
Mechanical whyner - N22,000
Blower fan/cable/rope - N20,000

Pump 1HP- N40,000
Aluminium pan - N23,000
Clamp/cables/rope - N5,000
Transport - N2,000
Welfare - N10,000

Total cost - N332,000

This includes a N10k welfare to a friend that helped to buy the pumps and later listed items.

I want to believe that the real cost could have been considerably lower if I had interrogated the cost of earlier listed items ie the whyner and blower. This view was formed from the result of my intervention on the workmen qoute of N138,000 for the later items.

When my cousin informed me of the cost which includes quotes of N75k and N35k for pump and aluminium pan respectively, I decided to ask around for the real cost of the pump.

I got in-contact with Prof. Spyder who hinted me that the cost of pump should be b/w N35-40k, I smelled that something is unsual about the workmen quotes. At that point I contacted a friend at Onitsha who after verification informed me that N70k would cover the cost of the items (pump, pan, clamp, cable, rope, and transport).

Viola! I collect his bank account, wired N80k to him in minutes and told my cousin and workmen to wait for the items to be delivered. They got the items, confirmed the authenticity, and N58k saved including a renewed contact with old friend.

A saving of N58k was OK for me to ignore further queries on other borehole related costs afterall you can't win always, and besides the final cost of N332k was a good value to me and within my targeted N400k for the borehole project even including the costs of cements that were used for the internal plastering of the well.

Here are some pictures

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 3:40am On Mar 31, 2016
The 8feet aluminium pan inserted into the borehole to bridge the deep sandy cavity of the borehole to avoid sand collapse and blockages.

I was told that we require some shipping to be scattered down the borehole to avoid rustling sandy water entering the pump. But the workmen confirmed that it was unnecessary because the sandy soil they met down the borehole were stable.

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 3:56am On Mar 31, 2016
Further updates on blocks achieved from a numbered bags of cements, trips of sands, water, and labour costs including parking of dried cements, damages, and time would be presented.
Observing the above may help to further appreciate in favour of or against the cost of self moulding of blocks for housing project.

Keep an eye out for that..............................including the total cost on the project so far.

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 3:58am On Mar 31, 2016
We have water now for the build........

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 4:06am On Mar 31, 2016
New Lodging around the neigbourhood. First in the town. So you have a place to lodge if you ever decide to visit..... grin grin grin
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by redcap: 11:12am On Mar 31, 2016
[quote author=Mayor78 post=43636948]

OK I want to believe that this is definitely more than three tipper trips, It looks like 3 trips and at N28k its very close to N8,500 we buy per trip.
The sand is clean.

This thread has been helpful and encouraging at the same time.pls I need to know if you buy sand at 8500#,kindly post contact of your supplier.thx

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Arnoldo(m): 4:03pm On Mar 31, 2016
Mayor78:

Your dam too lucky. A friend told me earlier that it cost his about N400K inclusive at Kubwa but the interesting thing to me was that he said it was done under 2hrs with a drilling machine by an Indian company. I am like Waoh!

If only I was able to find one at that price around Onitsha, I wouldn't complain. You are lucky @90K. Welldone
we drill with machine @5k per mtr..the survey determiner d depth..though we are at far away kwara

3 Likes

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Shine1177: 5:16pm On Mar 31, 2016
Well done brother. God will empower you till the end. Your detailed update is of great help to me, also in diaspora.

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by ken4jj(m): 9:54pm On Mar 31, 2016
Please guys, i have a half plot of land i want to develop. I am thinking of building two 3 bedroom flat that will be occupied by tenants.

First, is half plot of land enough for a simple two 3 bedroom flats (not upstairs)?

What should be the rough estimate (cost) to get it from start to finish? 3m,4m etc.

I just want to know for planning purposes.

Any suggestion for me?

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 6:11am On Apr 03, 2016
[quote author=redcap post=44276850][/quote]
Yeah, we buy sand at N8,500 per trip. I can get you the number of my supplier but mind you that my site is at Anambra East and the supplier is based local, unless your site is around same area cost of transporting the sand may vary as they buy from omambala river. It would be better to get somebody especially a supplier that owns his own tipper and closer to your site to supply you. Transport cost will add to the cost of sand if site is far from source of sand.

I came to realise as I mentioned above that you need to source a supplier with own tipper to get better price, or go to the river where they sell the sand, buy the sand and look for tipper their to hire right there for delivery, its always cheaper.

The importance of sourcing a consistent and cheaper sand supplier from onset cannot be over emphasised considering that you needs loads of sand through the duration of the project.

I used a friend after getting an initial quote of N12,000 per trip to cut the price down to N8,500 saving me N3,500 per trip or equivalent of two bags of cement ever since. Shine your eyes bruv!
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 6:57am On Apr 03, 2016
Arnoldo:
we drill with machine @5k per mtr..the survey determiner d depth..though we are at far away kwara

Good to know that drillings are charged at certain amount per meter basis.

With 5k/metre and mine was said to be 90ft (is it?) Or 27 abd half meters, it could have cost me around N140k to get it done by you. Oh! I missed out a saving os around N70k for labour as mine was N210k. Meaning I did it at a little short of N8k per meter. Good lesson though as prospecting clients would now have a reference point to bargain from. Thanks @Arnoldo.

2 Likes

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 7:07am On Apr 03, 2016
Shine1177:
Well done brother. God will empower you till the end. Your detailed update is of great help to me, also in diaspora.

Thanks Shine1177. Its good to hear that we are being useful, because the idea here is to learn and share so that others will learn.

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 7:48am On Apr 03, 2016
ken4jj:

Please guys, i have a half plot of land i want to develop. I am thinking of building two 3 bedroom flat that will be occupied by tenants.

First, is half plot of land enough for a simple two 3 bedroom flats (not upstairs)?

What should be the rough estimate (cost) to get it from start to finish? 3m,4m etc.

I just want to know for planning purposes.

Any suggestion for me?

Well done, good way to start focusing but a friend once told me the best way to start is to start the project. If you determine to build a house and have steady source of reasonable income, then start your project. He points out that getting the cost estimate although is good but often can discourage starting the project.

Once you have the land, start with thinking of the materials that would get you to a particular milestones say to DPC level, then to lintel, deck, etc and do your thing in stages. Building will surely cost you millions but not at once.

Somebody like me that has no millions cash would rather forget the millions and start with the thousands at hand. Millions I know would be spent without one knowing it, and I prefer not to think of it else I would be overwhelmed.

I have come to learn here that you dont have to have millions and millions to start a project of reasonable size and capacity.

All these bearing in mind that one cannot realistically have the thought of building a 6x3bedroom flats without some commensurate source of income and only hoping in miracles.

If you wish to get estimate though may also try the link below where you are more likely to find bunch of experts and old timers with wealth of experience in building construction.
https://www.nairaland.com/2550211/off-topic-thread-discuss-anything-everything
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by redcap: 9:13am On Apr 03, 2016
@ mayor78,kindly post the contact,I will take it up from there.thx for your input.

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by kopell: 2:23pm On Apr 03, 2016
Arnoldo:
Hello where are you located in Kwara, I need to get more information about your borehole company and some of the jobs you did before. I have looked through your page profile, all I saw was recruitment advertisement.

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by twinskenny(m): 2:47pm On Apr 03, 2016
Mayor78:

Thanks Shine1177. Its good to hear that we are being useful, because the idea here is to learn and share so that others will learn.
well done sir the ministry is moving

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 6:35am On Apr 04, 2016
twinskenny:
well done sir the ministry is moving

Na so twinskenny
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by agarawu23(m): 6:40am On Apr 04, 2016
Mayor78:

Na so twinskenny
Oga, I hail. God will provide to move the project forward.

Silent follower.

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 5:20am On Apr 08, 2016
agarawu23:
Oga, I hail. God will provide to move the project forward.

Silent follower.

Thanks @Agarawu23, keep those prayers coming, I need them badly!
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 5:23am On Apr 08, 2016
redcap:
@ mayor78,kindly post the contact,I will take it up from there.thx for your input.

Here is the contact 0808483141 his name is Isaac
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by agarawu23(m): 5:24am On Apr 08, 2016
Mayor78:

Thanks @Agaraw u23, keep those prayers coming, I need them badly!
na so e go be cool

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Construction Of Six Unit Of 2 Bedroom Flat At Lekki Ajah Lagos State. / Petrol Tanker Burnt In Egbeda Estate, Lagos. Properties Destroyed (Video) / Surulere Super Shopping Plaza On Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.