Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,209 members, 7,807,703 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:43 PM

Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind (29919 Views)

[superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons / Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] / Foreign Religions: The Bane Of Nigeria Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:01pm On Feb 25, 2016
stainlex:

Bro, I know you didn't feed me this to chew, but the aroma was inviting.. grin
Which scientists? Can you please provide a link to the journal where this claim was made?

Its all over the internet .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3455512/Earth-really-special-None-700-million-trillion-planets-known-universe-similar-study-finds.html
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by stainlex(m): 8:01pm On Feb 25, 2016
johnydon22:
I think this below is a better question for now..

Lets first of all know what "UNIQUE" Implies here and then take it from there... I am particularly interested in this one grin

Touché.
Saw it immediately I posted mine and I was happy that the statement had piqued someone else's interest. Let's wait and see sha.
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by omonnakoda: 8:03pm On Feb 25, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

You are missing the point . Believing in God is admitting He is your Lord and Creator . Can you provide any compelling evidence that life has no creator .

Let me give you something to chew on .

Scientists recently discovered that outta 700 quintillion planets , the earth is unique . Now if you believe we got the uniqueness of earth - its propensity to support and sustain life -through serendipity then the demise of this planet would automatically mean the nascence of the existence of the universe was a pointless event . Energy was useless , matter was useless , intelligence was useless . Everything is useless .

Do you agree to do this ?
Can you provide any compelling evidence that there are no little orange eyed green men on the planet Zugumaga who control your every word and action

1 Like

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:03pm On Feb 25, 2016
stainlex:

Touché.
Saw it immediately I posted mine and I was happy that the statement had piqued someone else's interest. Let's wait and see sha.

ive posted a link . You can read the comments too
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by johnydon22(m): 8:08pm On Feb 25, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3455512/Earth-really-special-None-700-million-trillion-planets-known-universe-similar-study-finds.html
Am very curious here... Similar in terms of "Cannot harbour life" or just doesn't look like Earth?

lets see in what way similar this implies
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:09pm On Feb 25, 2016
GeneralShepherd:

However, I can confidently say that highly educated countries are largely irreligious. Knowledge and religion are often at loggerheads as history has shown.

Highly educated countries like which countries are LARGELY IRRELIGIOUS ? Can you name these countries ?
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by donkross1(m): 8:11pm On Feb 25, 2016
stainlex:

Listen to yourself. Read and re-read what you just typed. Televising of the banning of Edo State witches. Bro, cool down nao.

Na you suppose calm down n ask what was televised. A debate was held between Bishop Benson Idahosa and the representative of the witches and wizard organisation. Baba you sef check google na.

1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:13pm On Feb 25, 2016
johnydon22:
Am very curious here... Similar in terms of "Cannot harbour life" or just doesn't look like Earth?

Cannot sustain life . No planet at all . This new development in the science world have shut the mouths of conspiracy theorists . And the dilettantes like ifeness who have an interest in extraterrestrial life with no indept knowledge are now sulking their thumbs
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by omonnakoda: 8:13pm On Feb 25, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Did you read the article? Can you interpret it? For the purpose that you introduced it it is worse ,I repeat worse than useless. It means absolutely nothing
Let us think about this for 2 minutes( Firstly they did not say quintillion but no matter let us put that down to poetic licence)

Even if they decided on 4 just 4 criteria they have not demonstrated any capacity to measure these criteria in 700 planets with any accuracy never mind 700 million so what did they do They "GUESSED" yes that is right the GUESSED and then modelled their guesses.This is important because it is not clear how many people and how much time will be required to process the information if they had it.

One thing is clear you do not have the capacity for the rigor required to critique such studies. You are of a more dogmatic "The Book of Galatians says" bent.That is your territory so refrain from science or Pseudo-science as a buttress for your superstitions.
Still what doe unique mean.

Every human is unique FACT

Every HUMAN is made by god opinion

Even if the earth were UNIQUE (hatever unique means) what interpretative value do we give to that? Did they say any other two planets are IDENTICAL?
more likely

EVERY PLANET IS UNIQUE

so what

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by pacespot(m): 8:14pm On Feb 25, 2016
johnydon22:

So everybody in the world is a witch then... You are not only confused but lacks simple basis for such simplistic beliefs..

And please tell me how the little children accused of witchcraft by your pastors and Christians guilty of the things you listed above?

Please show us how this boy is guilty of the above listed characters and tell me how you have never done any of the listed characters.... so how come you are not accused of witchcraft and a little innocent boy is

You have simply shown everyone here, not only that you have no basis to accuse anyone of being a witch, you are also confused on what your basis are and cannot even in the least substantiate the abstract notion of witches..

It's obvious that you only hold a baseless nonsensical superstition as truth which is mor0nic in the real sense..

First you moved from this ^^^ (demonic possession) to listing human behaviours (works of the flesh) as signs of witchcraft

Oga you need help ASAP, your confusion is out of the world. . . Just proved my point that Superstition destroys the Nigerian mind, you are a very good case study

Kai! So this is a little girl rescued by a Danish woman that was accused of witches. Africans are terribly and wickedly religious.

What Africans practice are occultic religions. Some of them know that religion is a total deceit but just want to keep to it because it benefits the ruling elites.

The bane of Africa is not actually religion, but primitiveness and insensitivity.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:17pm On Feb 25, 2016
omonnakoda:
Did you read the article? Can you interpret it? For the purpose that you introduced it it is worse ,I repeat worse than useless. It means absolutely nothing
Let us think about this for 2 minutes( Firstly they did not say quintillion but no matter let us put that down to poetic licence)

Even if they decided on 4 just 4 criteria they have not demonstrated any capacity to measure these criteria in 700 planets with any accuracy never mind 700 million so what did they do They "GUESSED" yes that is right the GUESSED and then modelled their guesses.This is important because it is not clear how many people and how much time will be required to process the information if they had it.

One thing is clear you do not have the capacity for the rigor required to critique such studies. You are of a more dogmatic "The Book of Galatians says" bent.That is your territory so refrain from science or Pseudo-science as a buttress for your superstitions.

Lmao ... I should ask you the question . Did you even understand the article ?

Quintillion means million trillion .

Actually , its an outcome from a research . The news is like 3 days old .
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:19pm On Feb 25, 2016
omonnakoda:

One thing is clear you do not have the capacity for the rigor required to critique such studies.

I'm a computer scientist and you are ?
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by johnydon22(m): 8:22pm On Feb 25, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Cannot sustain life . No planet at all . This new development in the science world have shut the mouths of conspiracy theorists . And the dilettantes like ifeness who have an interest in extraterrestrial life with no indept knowledge are now sulking their thumbs
[b]This is a huge blunder and i wonder if this ludicrous googled up conspiracy theory in itself has gotten any peer review yet?

-First you are an earth based life so all your assumptions about Life will be based on what you know of earth..

-That you require oxygen doesn't mean every life form does, many organisms even on earth thrive in severe conditions humans regard impossible for life to thrive yet life thrives on them.

Our criteria for habitable planets are.

a)Must be in the goldilocks zone (where liquid water can exist)
b)Must be rocky

In fact from the Kepler Mission thousands of Planets has been observed in the habitable zone of their host stars, in a good condition to have liquid water and rocky enough....

As a matter of fact in terms of composition Kepler438B is considered 88% like earth which is based on our own relation to earth, if we lived on Mars it would have been our standard of measurement.

The kepler observations have already debunked such thesis even before it is born

I do not know how or who came up with this but only a basic knowledge in Astronomy is enough to laugh at this.
[/b]

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:22pm On Feb 25, 2016
omonnakoda:

Still what doe unique mean.

I've always said that the existence of extraterrestrial life is a demonstration of God's power . I just asked GeneralShepherd what he thinks in relation to the new research

Every human is unique FACT

Every HUMAN is made by god opinion

Even if the earth were UNIQUE (hatever unique means) what interpretative value do we give to that? Did they say any other two planets are IDENTICAL?
more likely

EVERY PLANET IS UNIQUE

You dont even understand why I asked GeneralShepherd that question , apparently
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:26pm On Feb 25, 2016
johnydon22:

I do not know how or who came up with this but only a basic knowledge in Astronomy is enough to laugh at this. [/i][/b]

The news is all over the internet - science blogs , news websites . Like I said its 3 days old . You can do the research yourself and then laugh at the scientists that came up with the 'ludicrous' conclusion .
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by omonnakoda: 8:29pm On Feb 25, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Lmao ... I should ask you the question . Did you even understand the article ?

Quintillion means million trillion .

Actually , its an outcome from a research . The news is like 3 days old .
We are making progress

What kind of research EXACTLY

They modelled some ASSUMPTIONS with a computer.

So we know they are not based on reality but let us assume it is and they are right what was their conclusion.
No other planet is like earth. That is not and earth shattering discovery . How does that translate into the conclusion you have added on to it namely that:
The Uniqueness is the capacity to sustain life. THIS IS THE POINT WHERE YOU STARTED TELLING LIES
No reputable scientist would say that because quite simply they have no knowledge of all the possible permutations that "LIFE" may take

PLEASE RESTORE YOUR REPUTATION BY SHOWING WHERE THE SCIENTISTS SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THE EARTH BEING UNIQUE IN REGARD TO ABILITY TO SUSTAIN LIFE> YOU ARE A LIAR

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by johnydon22(m): 8:29pm On Feb 25, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

The news is all over the internet - science blogs , news websites . Like I said its 3 days old . You can do the research yourself and then laugh at the scientists that came up with the 'ludicrous' conclusion .
There are Islamic scientists who still think the Earth is flat of course such persons don't near conventional science communities..

when someone brings up the earth is flat based on what those Islamic scholars think then i will laugh at that person.

You brought it up here, at least you should have checked well before doing that..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by stainlex(m): 8:30pm On Feb 25, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

'It's certainly the case that there are a lot of uncertainties in a calculation like this. Our knowledge of all of these pieces is imperfect.'

There are some drawbacks to the model. For instance, the team had to guess how planets might form around stars with fewer heavy elements.

But despite these concerns, they say the conclusion is accurate.

Bro, I think the discovery is incomparable to the discovery of Higg's Boson and Gravitational waves if you know what I mean. Having said that, why not take a look at the emboldened statements and arrive at your own conclusion. An article that identified such kinds of limitations cannot be relied upon to make the claims you make. The conclusion is accurate no doubt in the sense that earth is unique, just as every human is unique. But using it as a premise to arrive at the conclusion you're arriving at is erroneous.
That's my take. I'll follow the developments pertaining the 'discovery' though.
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by omonnakoda: 8:32pm On Feb 25, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I'm a computer scientist and you are ?
I do not argue by qualification and am not biographical on Nairaland.Anyone can claim to be anything.Let the quality of your debate speak for itself.
If you are indeed a computer scientist you would not argue about the validity of a computer model based on guesses
Without it there is every likelihood the earth is unique but not in its ability to sustain life

THE RESEARCHERS NEVER MADE THAT CLAIM DID THEY?
Even if the earth is unique in its ability to sustain life

SO WHAT?

how does that reinforce any superstitious position?
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:34pm On Feb 25, 2016
omonnakoda:
We are making progress

What kind of research EXACTLY

They modelled some ASSUMPTIONS with a computer.

So we know they are not based on reality but let us assume it is and they are right what was their conclusion.
No other planet is like earth. That is not and earth shattering discovery . How does that translate into the conclusion you have added on to it namely that:
The Uniqueness is the capacity to sustain life. THIS IS THE POINT WHERE YOU STARTED TELLING LIES
No reputable scientist would say that because quite simply they have no knowledge of all the possible permutations that "LIFE" may take

PLEASE RESTORE YOUR REPUTATION BY SHOWING WHERE THE SCIENTISTS SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THE EARTH BEING UNIQUE IN REGARD TO ABILITY TO SUSTAIN LIFE> YOU ARE A LIAR

Mr Man read the article and stop asking me funny questions
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by johnydon22(m): 8:35pm On Feb 25, 2016
stainlex:

Touché.
We have seen and it was quite disappointing

1 Like

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by omonnakoda: 8:37pm On Feb 25, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Mr Man read the article and stop asking me funny questions
I have read it and the thread of discussion below . I suggest YOU read those. YOU ARE A LIAR
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:38pm On Feb 25, 2016
johnydon22:
There are Islamic scientists who still think the Earth is flat of course such persons don't near conventional science communities..

when someone brings up the earth is flat based on what those Islamic scholars think then i will laugh at that person.

You brought it up here, at least you should have checked well before doing that..

I read that article the first day I saw it - 2 days ago . Its not by any religious organisation so its the plain truth , no bias or predilection .

I am still shocked and I want to know sukkot 's view on this
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:39pm On Feb 25, 2016
omonnakoda:
I have read it. YOU ARE A LIAR

Then you dont understand the article .
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by omonnakoda: 8:40pm On Feb 25, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Then you dont understand the article .
OK can you provide a QUOTE where they claimed only earth can sustain LIFE?
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:42pm On Feb 25, 2016
stainlex:

Bro, I think the discovery is incomparable to the discovery of Higg's Boson and Gravitational waves if you know what I mean. Having said that, why not take a look at the emboldened statements and arrive at your own conclusion. An article that identified such kinds of limitations cannot be relied upon to make the claims you make. The conclusion is accurate no doubt in the sense that earth is unique, just as every human is unique. But using it as a premise to arrive at the conclusion you're arriving at is erroneous.
That's my take. I'll follow the developments pertaining the 'discovery' though.

I never said I was in support of the article or deemed it tenable . Im asking a question in relation to the new research . More data are need obviously - the research was done by creating exoplanets based on the ones discovered already and that does not provide a representation of every planet in existence
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by stainlex(m): 8:44pm On Feb 25, 2016
donkross1:

Na you suppose calm down n ask what was televised. A debate was held between Bishop Benson Idahosa and the representative of the witches and wizard organisation. Baba you sef check google na.
Are you aware that any internet savvy person can do what the owner of that Facebook page did? If the owner of that page posted that Sani Abacha was shot in the head, would you believe him/her? My point here is, ascertain the authority and veracity of your sources before relying on them. What I found on Google was pure bullshît!
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by sukkot: 8:44pm On Feb 25, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I read that article the first day I saw it - 2 days ago . Its not by any religious organisation so its the plain truth , no bias or predilection .

I am still shocked and I want to know sukkot 's view on this
you mean is the earth flat ? of course the earth is flat. NASA has been lying to us all this time. they never went to the moon neither. but its a flat plane in a globe. kinda like this

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:45pm On Feb 25, 2016
omonnakoda:

Here is another article that elucidated the aforeposted one

http://www.sciencealert.com/earth-could-be-unique-among-700-quintillion-planets-in-the-universe-study-finds

Here's a snippet in case

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by omonnakoda: 8:47pm On Feb 25, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Here is another article that elucidated the aforeposted one

http://www.sciencealert.com/earth-could-be-unique-among-700-quintillion-planets-in-the-universe-study-finds

Here's a snippet in case
Interesting but DIVERSIONARY . IT WON'T WORK!!

Please answer the question

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:47pm On Feb 25, 2016
sukkot:
you mean is the earth flat ? of course the earth is flat. NASA has been lying to us all this time. they never went to the moon neither. but its a flat plane in a globe. kinda like this

[img]https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M87774900519b82b405efdd728854b609H0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300[/img]

Wow . We will surely come to that . But I mean : A new research postulates that only earth has the propensity to sustain life in the entire universe . What's your view on this ?
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:48pm On Feb 25, 2016
omonnakoda:
Interesting but DIVERSIONARY . IT WON'T WORK!!

Please answer the question

A quote from the article or from the scientists ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Prophet Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin Gave Youths N3 Million (Photos) / Saying Hello Is A Sin - Mummy G.O, Funmi Adebayo (Video) / Nigerians Will Soon Smile Again – Kumuyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.