Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,857 members, 7,806,425 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:26 PM

Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind (29911 Views)

[superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons / Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] / Foreign Religions: The Bane Of Nigeria Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by sukkot: 10:37pm On Feb 25, 2016
taurus25:

well i saw a post today and it pricked my curiosity.......so we all know many scientists are atheists or not too devoted christains or religionists... and theyre facing some difficulties explaining some things right now so i want you to do the world a favour.......communicate with god and help them answer this questions

* can cancer be cured? and how?
* can AIDS be cured? and how?
* is there life outside the universe? and where?
* what is dark matter? how do we find it?
* is it possible to unify general relativity and quantum field theory? how do we go about it?
please sukkot the world is counting on you
let me indulge you

1- cancer is a disease of low electromagnetic vibration. stop cooking your food and eat only raw living foods and you will be cured
2-AIDS is not the disease it is made out to be. everyone has HIV antigens in them. when your immune system is run down is when the HIV is activated. you cure it by building your immune system with raw foods. cooked foods drain your bodily enzymes. raw food gives you enzymes. cooking destroys enzymes. eat raw and you will cure all diseases
3-there is no human life outside earth
4-dark matter is the higgs boson god particle and it has been found in CERN by colliding hydrogen protons. it is a very high electromagnetic frequency - the highest in our sphere.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by sukkot: 10:39pm On Feb 25, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I read the plot of the movie on Wikipedia and its ambigious - i[b]t supports your view that we are given a false perception of the earth[/b] and it portrays God in a repugnant manner (Its theological analogy)
exactly. hidden messages exist in all movies
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by sukkot: 10:41pm On Feb 25, 2016
omonnakoda:
How can I be a Christian ,I am a true Yoruba man but still a rational one.I am here to refute foolishness
well you need to go do that in the voodoo shrine and not here

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by blueAgent(m): 10:41pm On Feb 25, 2016
omonnakoda:
Chinese or Norwegians do not have higher IQ than Nigerians and some Chinese are superstitious.Superstition is embedded in Chinese culture and history. Superstitiousness is largely a function of acculturation.
The Chinese in large numbers believe that the Rhino horn is a powerful aphrodisiac and cure for most ailments even though science tell us it is Keratin just like our fingernails.
We did not have the Pentecostal culture 50 years ago .Now we have it and even our VP is on record as saying that his election was "foretold" or prophesied. High IQ people do not know everything. They are human and susceptible to human weaknesses like falling in love etc

Senseless writeup. Nigeria and Norway which country is more developed?

3 Likes

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by taurus25(m): 10:42pm On Feb 25, 2016
sukkot:
let me indulge you

1- cancer is a disease of low electromagnetic vibration. stop cooking your food and eat only raw living foods and you will be cured
2-AIDS is not the disease it is made out to be. everyone has HIV antigens in them. when your immune system is run down is when the HIV is activated. you cure it by building your immune system with raw foods. cooked foods drain your bodily enzymes. raw food gives you enzymes. cooking destroys enzymes. eat raw and you will cure all diseases
4-dark matter is the higgs boson god particle and it has been found in CERN by colliding hydrogen protons. it is a very high electromagnetic frequency - the highest in our sphere.

lol i thought as much wink....our chat ends here.....have a nice day

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:43pm On Feb 25, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I respect agnosticism . You are the rational one . An atheist says he does not know or cannot explain the genesis of the universe and its constituents but he is sure a creator (God) is not responsible .

I've excogitated on those words and cannot fathom the rationality of the statement . Do you find it rational ? If you do , explain

An atheist says that evidence presented for a God is insufficient and unconvincing. In the light of more evidence a rational atheist will reconsider!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by blueAgent(m): 10:45pm On Feb 25, 2016
taurus25:
well in some advanced societies 'witches' exists... but lemme explain how..

in some parts of the us, uk, austrailia and some other places in the world there is a set of people that practice the wiccan religion, they believe in existence of gods too, they belive both living and non living things has a life force , they use herbs for healing sick people etc etc, these set of people are the only ones reffered to as 'witches' in advanced societies.

but the coventional idea of 'witchcraft' in which certain people achieve some effects by supernatural means is actually pure fantasy

almost all advanced societies in the world has gone past the stage of belive that a wierd looking old woman in the village is responsible for your misfortunes in life and i think its high time africa moves past this stage as well.

as for some nigerian dudes that practice petty tricks some of which can do a great job of fooling both believers of magic or non believers, neuroscientists have carried out severall research that has shown that the brain and the eye can be deceived to perceive what isnt real as reality.....most advanced magicians use these mechanisms for thier tricks and some locall ones use them without even knowing

well as for things like stabbing pictures to kill people, they are totaly non-existent and unreal, otherwise countries wouldnt have militaries and physical weaponry wink

Lie, go and ask JK Rowling's. writer of harry porter if witches still practice their trade.

association of witches website.
www​.thewica.co.uk/Pentagram.htm
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:46pm On Feb 25, 2016
blueAgent:

Guy leave this idiots. even Ancient Civilizations like Egypt .Babylon,Greek and most of the successfull empires were highly religeous.
Egypt were deep into Babylonian mysetries and occultism .but yet had a great Civilization, built pyramiads, had knoweledge of astronomy,sciences,e.t.c or is it the Roman Empire that developed the Catholic church , we all know about Greek beliefs in gods and godess
IQ determines a countries development not religeon or culture. becos high IQ infuences peoples attitude torwards a particular religeous habit or influence.

Atheism is another name for Autism.
they just don't reason.

Brilliant points raised bro . Technological , architectural, astronomical advancement came from these countries that were overly religious and superstitious . E.g Egypt and Greece .

1 Like

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by taurus25(m): 10:49pm On Feb 25, 2016
blueAgent:

Lie, go and ask JK Rowling's. writer of harry porter if witches still practice their trade.

association of witches website.
www​.thewica.co.uk/Pentagram.htm
by trade you mean?
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by sukkot: 10:51pm On Feb 25, 2016
taurus25:

lol i thought as much wink....our chat ends here.....have a nice day
good. and stay gone wink
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by blueAgent(m): 10:51pm On Feb 25, 2016
[quote author=taurus25 post=43245278]well in some advanced societies 'witches' exists... but lemme explain how..

in some parts of the us, uk, austrailia and some other places in the world there is a set of people that practice the wiccan religion, they believe in existence of gods too, they belive both living and non living things has a life force , they use herbs for healing sick people etc etc, these set of people are the only ones reffered to as 'witches' in advanced societies.

but the coventional idea of 'witchcraft' in which certain people achieve some effects by supernatural means is actually pure fantasy

almost all advanced societies in the world has gone past the stage of belive that a wierd looking old woman in the village is responsible for your misfortunes in life and i think its high time africa moves past this stage as well.

as for some nigerian dudes that practice petty tricks some of which can do a great job of fooling both believers of magic or non believers, neuroscientists have carried out severall research that has shown that the brain and the eye can be deceived to perceive what isnt real as reality.....most advanced magicians use these mechanisms for thier tricks and some locall ones use them without even knowing

well as for things like stabbing pictures to kill people, they are totaly non-existent and unreal, otherwise countries wouldnt have militaries and physical weaponry .

Witchcraft & exorcism abuse rising in UK –
police .
The UK is experiencing an
alarming rise in children suffering from
accusations of ... was found by social services
standing in his bare feet,” he added, the Press
Association reported.

https://www.rt.com/uk/318290-witchcraft-uk-rise-children/

2 Likes

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by blueAgent(m): 10:54pm On Feb 25, 2016
Stupid Atheistic propangander.

In UK so called Atheist heaven

Witchcraft & exorcism abuse rising in UK –
police .
The UK is experiencing an
alarming rise in children suffering from
accusations of ... was found by social services
standing in his bare feet,” he added, the Press
Association reported.

https://www.rt.com/uk/318290-witchcraft-uk-rise-children/

1 Like

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by blueAgent(m): 10:54pm On Feb 25, 2016
taurus25:
by trade you mean?
Go and ask your teacher.
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by taurus25(m): 10:55pm On Feb 25, 2016
GeneralShepherd:

An atheist says that evidence presented for a God is insufficient and unconvincing. In the light of more evidence a rational atheist will reconsider!
very true!...dont all humans want to be amazed?....show me an extraordinary proof today and ill reconsider my position tommorow
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by blueAgent(m): 10:58pm On Feb 25, 2016
omonnakoda:
Is your father an Otondo? or your mother? I have no idea what it means but I guess that is what they are

Same to u and your parents
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by taurus25(m): 11:14pm On Feb 25, 2016
[quote author=blueAgent post=43255538][/quote]
lol read your article well....who were the people accusing the children of witchcraft??
"The pastor says there's a witch in this church today, looks around and points to a child - that means public humiliation for the family,” she said.
"The next step is exorcism which is not done for free. It's a money-making scam."

of course the religious ones!!!
are they no religous people in the uk? are some not still superstitious?
infact there is still a superstition in the uk that if you dont close your mouth while sneazing the devil would enter you..lolcheesy

now does this mean the whole of the country is superstitious? or even the majority of the country?
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by stainlex(m): 11:20pm On Feb 25, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I respect agnosticism . You are the rational one . An atheist says he does not know or cannot explain the genesis of the universe and its constituents but he is sure a creator (God) is not responsible .

I've excogitated on those words and cannot fathom the rationality of the statement . Do you find it rational ? If you do , explain

The atheist has his reasons for his stance. My own reason for not being an atheist lies solely on the fact that I don't find it rational (for now), just as I don't find theism rational. I'm of the opinion that neither side (theists and atheists) knows enough to come into an indisputable conclusion. This is my logomachy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by dalaman: 11:59pm On Feb 25, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
Another ignorant post from Johnydon22 . The Chinese are the MOST superstitious people on earth but have the fastest growing economy in the world - their rate of development makes America insecure.

That is because the Chinese policy makers are atheist. To join the ruling communist party in China you must not have a religion. The Chinese government that control everything in the country is officially an atheistic government.

http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-05-14/chinas-atheist-communist-government-embracing-very-capitalist-form-buddhism

Ethiopia is a very religious country and has the fastest growing economy in Africa , many business reports say they'll soon upstage China . Norway is the most advanced in the world and has over 76 percent of its population identify as Christians.

Norwegians are not christians, only 1 percent attend church regularly. Religion does not matter to them and has no major role in their lives. Ethiopia isn't developing because they are applying any religious principle.

Invariably , atheists equate unbelief in a deity to advancement - an egregious display of ignorance , a flagrant denial in the face of facts , and should be ashamed of their futile attempts to delineate the religious as backward .

I am not saying that despicable practices should be condoned but they do not impede advancement or development

Statistics after statistics have shown that the more religious the more backward a country is. Tell me why should people create space shuttles and make advances in their various aspects of life when you believe that you are not of the world, the world is just a transient place, we are living in the end time and Jesus will come during your life time for example?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by dalaman: 12:01am On Feb 26, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

When something supersedes nature then it is ... ?

What does it mean to supersede nature? Can you demonstrate that anything supersedes nature?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by CoolUsername: 12:08am On Feb 26, 2016
stainlex:

The atheist has his reasons for his stance. My own reason for not being an atheist lies solely on the fact that I don't find it rational (for now), just as I don't find theism rational. I'm of the opinion that neither side (theists and atheists) knows enough to come into an indisputable conclusion. This is my logomachy.

Something like this:

There are two extreme ends of a pole, on the extreme right we have Theism and on the extreme left, Gnostic Atheism. Right in the middle, we have Agnosticism, then between Agnosticism and Theism, we have Deism and between Agnosticism and Atheism, we have Agnostic atheism.

The Theist, is sure that God exists. The Gnostic Atheist is sure that God doesn't exist. The Agnostic, believes that it isn't possible to know whether God exists or not. The Deist believes in a First Cause God who doesn't influence the affairs of the world And finally, The Agnostic Atheist doesn't believe in God but doesn't rule out the possibility.

There are still other beliefs not covered here.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Nobody: 12:09am On Feb 26, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Thank you bro sukky for this .

But you also claimed that the earth is flat ... How true is this ? Any evidence ?
Here's a link.
http://www.atlanteanconspiracy.com/2015/08/200-proofs-earth-is-not-spinning-ball.html?m=1
Refuting all 200 of them is a very healthy exercise I urge every scientist to go through once in a while. very rewarding.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Nobody: 12:15am On Feb 26, 2016
blueAgent:

Lie ,but it has been proven that most of the Leaders belong to the same satanic cult. i guess that's not religeon?
Do you have proof of this claim? I'm still researching on facts and figures to back my opinions. I would respond to you and others sometime tomorrow.
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Nobody: 12:21am On Feb 26, 2016
This isn't funny, man. quit joking around and tell God to tell you the real answer.
sukkot:
[b] let me indulge you

Monkeys, who eat raw foods get cancers. Also, it has been demonstrated that tumors don't give a Bleep about what kind of food you eat. a stage four breast cancer isn't going to scram once you start eating salad #WRONG

I'm surprised our animal friends in the wild who totally eat raw aren't immortal. chimpanzees eat raw and they have half the lifespan of a human being. and yes, they do get cancer. and AIDs #WRONG

Tell that to the guys on the ISS. #WRONG

4-dark matter is the higgs boson god particle and it has been found in CERN by colliding hydrogen protons. it is a very high electromagnetic frequency - the highest in our sphere. [/b]
Dark matter is not even remotely related to the Higgs boson. Also, No. gamma rays have the highest electromagnetic frequency. Higgs boson isn't even an electromagnetic particle. #WRONG

Guys, this is the God sukkot desperately wants me to believe exists. the God that wouldn't pass the most basic of exams in either medicine or physics. A God who is asked 5 questions but responds to only 4 because it doesn't even understand the fifth question. A God who exists in the mind.

No thanks.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by lilliesboy(m): 12:27am On Feb 26, 2016
I doubt if even in the next 400 years up to 30% of Africans especially Nigerians, New Papua(ns) in Guinea, Ghanaians etc, will be rational in thinking. I sorry for this continent. Theistic religion/superstion? I SHIT on it!

4 Likes

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by taurus25(m): 12:32am On Feb 26, 2016
Teempakguy:
This isn't funny, man. quit joking around and tell God to tell you the real answer.

Monkeys, who eat raw foods get cancers. Also, it has been demonstrated that tumors don't give a Bleep about what kind of food you eat. a stage four breast cancer isn't going to scram once you start eating salad #WRONG

I'm surprised our animal friends in the wild who totally eat raw aren't immortal. chimpanzees eat raw and they have half the lifespan of a human being. and yes, they do get cancer. and AIDs #WRONG

Tell that to the guys on the ISS. #WRONG

Dark matter is not even remotely related to the Higgs boson. Also, No. gamma rays have the highest electromagnetic frequency. Higgs boson isn't even an electromagnetic particle. #WRONG

Guys, this is the God sukkot desperately wants me to believe exists. the God that wouldn't pass the most basic of exams in either medicine or physics. A God who is asked 5 questions but responds to only 4 because it doesn't even understand the fifth question. A God who exists in the mind.

No thanks.
lol you even have the strenght to analyse that poo
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by lilliesboy(m): 1:19am On Feb 26, 2016
And who said China is very religious/supersticious? What a lie! China has the largest number of ATHEISTS/Deists in the world; over 50% of Chinese are anti-religionists. In fact, the Govt. doesn't/rarely tolerates religion in the State. And Ethiopia is very backward in Africa!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by lilliesboy(m): 1:26am On Feb 26, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
Another ignorant post from Johnydon22 . The Chinese are the MOST superstitious people on earth but have the fastest growing economy in the world - their rate of development makes America insecure . Ethiopia is a very religious country and has the fastest growing economy in Africa , many business reports say they'll soon upstage China . Norway is the most advanced in the world and has over 76 percent of its population identify as Christians.

Invariably , atheists equate unbelief in a deity to advancement - an egregious display of ignorance , a flagrant denial in the face of facts , and should be ashamed of their futile attempts to delineate the religious as backward .

I am not saying that despicable practices should be condoned but they do not impede advancement or development

And who said China is very religious/supersticious? What a lie! China has the largest number of ATHEISTS/Deists in the world; over 50% of Chinese are anti-religionists. In fact, the Govt. doesn't/rarely tolerates religion in the State. And Ethiopia is very backward in Africa!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by freddaboh(m): 1:29am On Feb 26, 2016
The op got it alright and in one piece

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:18am On Feb 26, 2016
dalaman:

That is because the Chinese policy makers are atheist. To join the ruling communist party in China you must not have a religion. The Chinese government that control everything in the country is officially an atheistic government.

http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-05-14/chinas-atheist-communist-government-embracing-very-capitalist-form-buddhism

Another useless counter . The Chinese remain superstitious whether they purport themselves as atheists or not . They have they fastest growing economy in the world . From the first person in government to the last plebeian entity are overly superstitious

Norwegians are not christians, only 1 percent attend church regularly. Religion does not matter to them and has no major role in their lives. Ethiopia isn't developing because they are applying any religious principle.

Norwegians have 76.1% of the population officially belonging to the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Norway as recorded in 2013 . Nigerians are acclaimed to be religious yet their empty seats in Churches .

Ethiopia has the fastest growing economy in Africa and will soon upstage China and claiming the application of any religious principles is an idiotic statement .They are agriculture-based and they diversify into manufacturing , textiles etc . You just murdered facts in cold blood .

Interestingly , Congo is ranked third and has close to a 100 percent of its population as religious

http://www.weforum.org/agenda/2015/06/the-13-fastest-growing-economies-in-the-world/

Statistics after statistics have shown that the more religious the more backward a country is. Tell me why should people create space shuttles and make advances in their various aspects of life when you believe that you are not of the world, the world is just a transient place, we are living in the end time and Jesus will come during your life time for example?

Atheists claim that the human specie can be obliterated through AI Uprising , sudden asteroid attack , supervalcano , ecological collapse , nuclear war and possibly climatic change yet there are advances in various aspects of life why ? You dont seem to be a bright kind .

Russia grew from a communist country into a religious one between the 1980s and 2000s and are advancing technologically . With a religious president determined to end terrorism in Putin .

Interestingly , again , only 7 percent of the total population of European countries identify as atheists , 16 percent as agnostic , 2 percent as muslims and 72 percent as Christians

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism

1 Like

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:26am On Feb 26, 2016
GeneralShepherd:

Oh please ! Overwhelm me with the evidences you have termed "insufficient and unconvincing "

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:37am On Feb 26, 2016
lilliesboy:

If you dont know that the Chinese are the most superstitious people on earth and Ethiopia's economy is growing at a rocket-speed rate then you have no business in this thread
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:38am On Feb 26, 2016
taurus25:

lolgrin......first off all i commented from when i saw the link so i might have not seen any subsequent posts

So, my point is the article talks about modelling 700milion billion planets and assuming based on our knowledge of the universe that the earth is unique...whereas this is a poor scientific method....now based on their ASSUMPTIONS their result is accurate, but do you expect the scientific community to accept their result as FACT?

Retarded?? lool cheesy it seems your quick to insult........if you feel i dont get your point explain yourself....if you cant do that ignore

dont be childish biko wink

Oya sorry smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Your Thoughts On This Sticker Of Bishop Oyedepo? Blasphemy / Akulga Widows Pray For PDP Candidates In Rivers Over Assembly Rerun / Prophet Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin Gave Youths N3 Million (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.