Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 (51920 Views)

Shehu Shagari Having Meeting With Buhari In 1983 Before He Was Overthrown / Buhari A Terrorist Who Committed Treasonable Felony In 1983 - Kanu, Co-Defendant / 19-Year-Old Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala And Her Husband (Throwback Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by lozanni(m): 11:02am On Feb 25, 2016
eyesofgod:

To the best of my knowledge. Ghanaians were well treated by Nigerians wlhile their stay lasted. The disposition of Rawlings as HOS in Ghana helped in this regard.

The common man had no beef with them. It is the ineffectual Shagari's regime that used them as scape goats.

You are right. Some of the Ghanaians that were to be deported were housed in the present Passport Office in Festac Town, then The Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) were usuing that place as their Border Patrol Office. Due to over-crowding and inadequate feeding some of the illegal Aliens were fainting; this caused Festac Residents living around there to mobilise food-stuffs, water, medication etc to help the poor ones affected.

2 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by Nobody: 11:02am On Feb 25, 2016
HungerBAD:
The sad thing is.

Today, Ghana is Economically stable than Nigeria, and what did they do to Nigerians trooping every 10 Minutes into their Country? they showed us love.

We should emulate how Ghana shows everybody love into our lives.

Do you think if the Nigerians in Ghana weren't rather successful business men and women, Ghanaians would welcome us?

Even Nigerians schooling in Ghana. Do you know how much we add to their economy or country?
Ghana has more to gain than Nigeria in this so called relationship.
Think!

I have nothing against them and I'm not saying don't be nice to em but I'm saying don't exaggerate anything.
Ghanaians are gaining from Nigerians!!!

3 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by Jessidaisy4(f): 11:03am On Feb 25, 2016
Hehe, i can see my name on the ship :p

1 Like

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by wheezie24(m): 11:04am On Feb 25, 2016
Stelvin101:

RIP to English Language. How were you able to register Nairaland cheesy
lol
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by Mynd44: 11:05am On Feb 25, 2016
Truckpusher:
It was your Messiah Buhari that embarked on that shameless journey of deporting fellow Africans from Nigeria ,blaming them for his economic woes after he failed with his draconian policies which seems to have reared it's ugly head once again and unfortunately people like you were chanting sai baba .
Well, I've always known that one can't give what they don't have in them.
Actually, it was President Shagari. tongue

3 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by mikeapollo: 11:05am On Feb 25, 2016
ednut1:
payback for deporting over 1m Nigerians from ghana in 1967or 1969 including my parents grin. Busia was no diff to buhari

It was President Shagari that deported Ghanaians, not Buhari. Buhari came to p0wer in late December 1983

1 Like

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by isuomo: 11:05am On Feb 25, 2016
A sad day in the history of Nigeria, Shagari took a most horrendous decision.
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by Kgdavid(m): 11:06am On Feb 25, 2016
tpiar:

Do they want to come back?

Isnt Ghana having a strong economy now?

Ghana's strong economy is a myth that refuses to go away. You people should read more

2 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by pyyxxaro: 11:07am On Feb 25, 2016
miqos02:
u saw them 1983?

E clear say na BlackBerry 3310 u de use

If I de lie

Ask Lie Mohammed

E go show u tongue
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by OfficialIYANU(m): 11:09am On Feb 25, 2016
HungerBAD:
The sad thing is.

Today, Ghana is Economically stable than Nigeria, and what did they do to Nigerians trooping every 10 Minutes into their Country? they showed us love.

Stop spreading lies!

1 Like

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by gbens2000(m): 11:09am On Feb 25, 2016
Raphael81:
because of the incident i still travel with my Ghana Must Go to any place
pinshure or u are. A first class liar
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by trulords(m): 11:11am On Feb 25, 2016
OXYGEN01:
See mumu.If you claim your country is better why are you then living in Ghana?UNGRATEFUL BEING.
And mind you, though the population of Ghana is estimated around 27million(i dnt believe in that though) Ghanaians dont produce 2 billion barrels of oil on daily basis unlike nigeria.
Even with that Ghana is far ahead of nigeria in everything positive.Infact you cant compare present day nigeria.nigeria is worse than poo
Charlie!!!! you still our brothers even if u guys are still novice and hoping you got a greener land like ours... you guys don't really have any economy structure .. let be frank with ourselves.. what we Went thru dis past 5years or so if nah Una temple call country . una no go dey ... ask sarkodie a million times , if he as a second coming where will he want to come or which country will he want to be a citizen of most definitely it naija nah... the land of milk and honey ... we the best bro don't beef... oya kill urself

1 Like

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by Truckpusher(m): 11:15am On Feb 25, 2016
Mynd44:

Actually, it was President Shagari. tongue
Who implemented it and made sure that after Shagari's govt was overthrown that it was successfully executed ? tongue

Where is your ban stick ? cheesy
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by datribune: 11:15am On Feb 25, 2016
SirJeffry:
But I can't see any "Ghana-must-go" bag so where did the name emanate from?

Chai, but Pa Bubu wicked oo.

Abeg, who don be adult in '83 mek he gist us well on this?

d "Ghana must go" saga happened during d Shagari era. Buhari came to power on 31st December 1983. Under Shagari, d thieving politicians wrecked d economy & plunged d nation into d greatest recession in our history & accumulated an unprecedented debt burden on d nation which Buhari started paying & which decades later OBJ completed. Rather than address corruption, d weak Shagari govt thought d solution was to expel foreigners, mostly Ghanaians. d Ghanaians left but our problems remained.
It's like history repeating itself all over.
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by trulords(m): 11:17am On Feb 25, 2016
musicwriter:
seun, lalasticlala.

I think this type of topic on the front page may cause tension between Nigeria and Ghana. If you check well, you'll find more important topics lying fallow all over this forum.

Anybody know this moderators should call their attention to this.
Oga forget Dem need to be told d truth.. forget bro... why compare Ghana with nigeria.. Ghanaian kon learn from us.. I know u guys are still learning ... maybe we will try to give u few actors and artist so people can acknowledge you guys still exist
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by kadree(m): 11:19am On Feb 25, 2016
Truckpusher:
It was your Messiah Buhari that embarked on that shameless journey of deporting fellow Africans from Nigeria ,blaming them for his economic woes after he failed with his draconian policies which seems to have reared it's ugly head once again and unfortunately people like you were chanting sai baba .
Bros pls kindly click on d link to elp salvage some lost of self worth and value http://www..com/how-shehu-shagari-expelled-a-million-ghanaians-from-nigeria/
Yes we knw our education system isn't encouraging but we can elp prevent washing our dirty linen in d open.Obviously, u aren't giving wht u don't av. Tnks.

2 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by Nobody: 11:21am On Feb 25, 2016
You can't compare Ghana to Nigeria in anything... The comparison should be between Ghana and lagos or ibadan not the whole of Nigeria for goodness sake. I visited Ghana, Accra precisely and I stayed few blocks away from Regional maritime academy where I went for a short course.
During my stay I noticed alot of questionable characters from d countrymen, the moment they hear you are a Nigerian For whatever reason they feel threatened, intimidated. I boarded a cab going to the airport and greeted the driver, he answered and asked if I was a Nigeria of which I responded, he parked and asked me to come down insulting me with a strange language cry see me see wahala, I came down and flagged down another one to my destination. Talking about their economy, a lecturer openly said it that Nigeria remains the backbone of the Ghanaian economy which is a sad truth.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by datribune: 11:22am On Feb 25, 2016
Truckpusher:
Who implemented it and made sure that after Shagari's govt was overthrown that it was successfully executed ? tongue

Don't get it twisted. There was no time lag. It happened immediately. President Shagari made d proclamation & within a few days/weeks, d Ghanaians fearful of being victims of Xenophobia flee home in droves immediately.

2 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by dacovajnr: 11:23am On Feb 25, 2016
Truckpusher:
Another Indomie Generation Spotted tongue

6 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by Mynd44: 11:25am On Feb 25, 2016
Truckpusher:

"You can see Ghanians being deported from the ship deck in Lagos on Feb 2, 1983 as they prepared to sail back to their country "

correct me if I am wrong but didn't President Buhari become HOS in December 1983?

3 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by gbrown(m): 11:28am On Feb 25, 2016
HungerBAD:
The sad thing is.

bro you ain't serious, Ghana dare not depot nigerians cos we keep their economy going, we are the number one patrons of all tiers of schools in Ghana, go to mokwola market in accra the entire place is littered with yoruba and igbo, nigerians own countless choice properties in Ghana, we keep their ports busy,our businessmen employ thousands of their people,the printing press business is dominated by yoruba,s

1 Like

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by akigbemaru: 11:30am On Feb 25, 2016
ghana must go we cannot forget.
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by Nobody: 11:31am On Feb 25, 2016
HungerBAD:
The sad thing is.

They did not get there easily.

They made a lot of hard economic choices in the late 1980's and 1990's. One of them was sacking excess government workers (Including school teachers.....imagine that) and eating SAP pap well well.

But it did work....

Try that in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by rabzy: 11:31am On Feb 25, 2016
I met a Ghanaian man in sierra leone and he mentioned the initial deportation of Nigerians from Ghana. He said a lot of Nigerians deported were successful businessmen, many ogbomosho people easily recognized with their tribal marks. He said he lost a lot of classmates whose parents were sent packing from Ghana and many Ghanaian took over their homes.

Many Nigerians living in Ghana before the deportation had been their for decades and were doing very well, they did not go because of any economic deprivations.

Most Ghanaians have conveniently forgotten this, re-hashing the story of their own deportation from Nigeria, even in Ghana they sell those bags as 'ghana must go' . Cant they give it a different name, children yet to be born would keep asking why the bag is named like that, so the animosity persists.

3 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by temmydee181(m): 11:36am On Feb 25, 2016
dey were even happy sef
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by omozu1(m): 11:37am On Feb 25, 2016
Sending them home was a mistake. Our gov. Then no try .
But they first did the same thing to us in the 50s they send so many nigerians home.
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by ojkalito(m): 11:44am On Feb 25, 2016
HungerBAD:
The sad thing is.

Ghanaians forced Nigerians out of their country n acquired their properties n d Nigeria government responded in kind n sent them packing not solely because of lack of jobs for Nigerians
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by iamord(m): 11:46am On Feb 25, 2016
repogirl:
They look so excited to be leaving sef.....
cos there is no place like home
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by NgwalandAbia(m): 11:47am On Feb 25, 2016
HungerBAD:
The sad thing is.

What makes it stable to that of Nigeria,economy that can be compare to that of Lagos.

Please receive sense.
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by iamord(m): 11:47am On Feb 25, 2016
magoo10:
they should be grateful to Nigeria for
helping them find solution to their problem,if they hadnt been sent back probably their country would be less developed
of you know ghana's history you will shut up

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ghana Begs Buhari To Open Closed Border / Man Who Praised Buhari In A Salon In Benin Gets A Hug / How Much Did It Cost Ambode To Build These Flyover-bridges? (see PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.