Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:31 AM

Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? (88304 Views)

Hero:king JAJA OF OPOBO Full Biography,history Battle With The British(pictures) / King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] / How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by EngrCGam: 8:40pm On Apr 14, 2010
This is an Opobo Indigene.

here are the facts,

We do not speak Ijaw, our Language is Ibani, although we are classed as Ijaw. Our Original language sounds like Kalabari.

We are not igbos and our Language is not igbo. We speak igbo due to centuries of slave trade, as our waters were used for shipping of slaves and export trade such as palm oil. Jaja was actively involved in this trade,

Our first King (Jaja) was igbo and was a slave in bonny before he departed with some of original Ibani cheifs and they formed Opobo. My great- grand-father was one of these chiefs,

The flooding of igbo slaves on our land had caused the gradual receeding of our original language, Ibani. Bonny is our ancestral route.

our brothers in Finima speak prestine Ibani.

Efforts have begun to re-introduce the Ibani Language,

2 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by EngrCGam: 8:51pm On Apr 14, 2010
@ udezue

Not all Ibani citizen of opobo have Igbo ancestry. The Jaja's are really the only major house with direct Igbo Ancentry. Jaja war canoe house is only 1 of a total of 67 war canoe houses. Take not.

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by EngrCGam: 8:55pm On Apr 14, 2010
@ Andre Uweh

No we are not happy with the igbo we speak hence we are working hard to revive our language,

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ow11(m): 10:22pm On Apr 17, 2010
^^^^

Finally some truths. . .

Ibani just like Kalabari is thought to be a dialect of Ijaw don't you think so?
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Abagworo(m): 12:00pm On Apr 18, 2010
ow11:

^^^^

Finally some truths. . .

Ibani just like Kalabari is thought to be a dialect of Ijaw don't you think so?
ibani is obviously a dialect of ijaw by all standards.ijaws cannot understand ibani,kalabari,okrika and nembe due to lack of a generally standardised version of ijaw dialects.the igbos have over the years developed a generally understandable kind of igbo.hence any igbo from igbanke through ndoki can understand the general igbo but on a dialect level there will be a serious inability to communicate.

2 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ChinenyeN(m): 6:53pm On Apr 18, 2010
edit.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by 006(m): 7:45am On Apr 19, 2010
Abagworo:

ibani is obviously a dialect of ijaw by all standards.ijaws cannot understand ibani,kalabari,okrika and nembe due to lack of a generally standardised version of ijaw dialects.[/b]the igbos have over the years developed a generally understandable kind of igbo.hence any igbo from igbanke through ndoki can understand the general igbo but on a dialect level there will be a serious inability to communicate.

If the Ijaws [b]cannot
understand Ibani at all, then they are not one language. I can understand every Igbo dialect, though some with difficulty at normal speach rate but better when spoken at a slower rate. I understand Igbanke, Izzi, Ikwerre, and Aro. All the extremes of Igbo language.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Abagworo(m): 9:26am On Apr 19, 2010
006:

If the Ijaws cannot understand Ibani at all, then they are not one language. I can understand every Igbo dialect, though some with difficulty at normal speach rate but better when spoken at a slower rate. I understand Igbanke, Izzi, Ikwerre, and Aro. All the extremes of Igbo language.
because you have interacted with them.it is thesame with an ijaw who has interacted deeply with various ijaw groups.which part of igboland are you from?
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:48pm On Apr 19, 2010
006, considering that you had to interact and familiarize yourself with those groups, it is safe to say that their respective speech forms can also classify as separate languages.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by 006(m): 10:01pm On Apr 19, 2010
Abagworo:

because you have interacted with them.it is thesame with an ijaw who has interacted deeply with various ijaw groups.which part of igboland are you from?

Not really, I have not interacted with them as you may think. I am an Enugu born Anambrarian and I schooled in Benin. The first time I ever heard Igbanke, I was shocked because I didn't know that an Igbo group was in Edo State. I was listening to a 7pm news in Igbanke in Benin and I was surprised I was understanding like 40-50% at normal speech rate, though I was able to infer what was said, though many of the words probably were bini/Igbanke dialect but the language structure was Igbo. (Mind you, I don't understand a word in Bini). The main problem was Igbanke accent and not the language. But when I had a friend from Agbor, sometimes we spoke Igbo, myself Central Igbo and himself Ika Igbo. I understood nearly 90% of what he said but at a slower to normal speak rate.

Again, in Enugu, I listened to Izzi news and I think it's the most difficult to understand mainly because of their accent rather than the language itself. At the first instance, I understood like 20%. The few times I met folks speaking Izzi, I often asked to repeat what they said, and when they do I understood them perfectly though they spoke at a slower speech rate.

I've heard Ikwerres and other Rivers Igbos on the news and I undertood them perfectly.

ChinenyeN:

006, considering that you had to interact and familiarize yourself with those groups, it is safe to say that their respective speech forms can also classify as separate languages.

I don't agree, you cannot classify a language separate simply because it’s a dialect with its own accent.
A language group is made up of several dialects and accents.
English was like that before London (Queen’s) English was adopted as the correct English. Yet, when you go to North of England, you'll find it had to understand what they say, not because of the language but because of the accent.
Accent makes a language seems entirely different but when they write it, if the written form was standardized, you'll find out it's the same thing.

In the case of Igbo, every dialect has a different way of writing their language and it makes it seem different, but when they say the word to you, then you'll know it's what you already know.

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:40pm On Apr 19, 2010
According to linguistics, two lects are considered separate languages, if there is no mutual intelligibility between them.  

Now, in regards to classifying the Igbo lects as respective languages, yes you can. Each lect has its own unique, and distinct syntax, morphology, and lexical content. Our lects differ in more respects than you think, and certainly much more than just simply accents. Then, to finalize, speakers of one Igbo lect MUST familiarize themselves with speakers of other Igbo lects before being able to comprehend their speech (evidence of lack of mutual intelligibility). I have yet to meet any Igbo who can understand all lects without first having to interact, or learn, or familiarize his/herself with them. And as such, I find it difficult to believe that you understand ALL Igbo lects, without having to have first really familiarized yourself with them.

The real truth about Igbo is that it is not one language, but a cluster of various language (since the function of language is communication, and members of the various Igbo lects cannot inherently communicate with each other).
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by 006(m): 11:24pm On Apr 19, 2010
Quote from ChinenyeN, I didn't appear but I feel I shoul respond to it.

According to linguistics, two lects are considered separate languages, if there is no mutual intelligibility between them.

Now, in regards to classifying the Igbo lects as respective languages, yes you can. Each lect has its own unique, and distinct syntax, morphology, and lexical content. Our lects differ in more respects than you think, and certainly much more than just simply accents. Then, to finalize, speakers of one Igbo lect MUST familiarize themselves with speakers of other Igbo lects before being able to comprehend their speech (evidence of lack of mutual intelligibility). I have yet to meet any Igbo who can understand all lects without first having to interact, or learn, or familiarize his/herself with them. And as such, I find it difficult to believe that you understand ALL Igbo lects, without having to have first really familiarized yourself with them.

The real truth about Igbo is that it is not one language, but a cluster of various language (since the function of language is communication, and members of the various Igbo lects cannot inherently communicate with each other).

From Oxford dictionary definition of a dialect:
A dialect is a form of a language that is spoken in one area with grammar, words, and pronunciation that may be different from other forms of the same language, e.g. Yorkshire dialect.

Also, you should get yourself acquainted with what they call language continuum.
Every Igbo dialect is at least mutually intelligible with its neighbouring Igbo group but as the distance increase, language continuum sets in and it becomes hard for the far distant groups to understand them except when spoken slowly like I explained.

2 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ChinenyeN(m): 11:58pm On Apr 19, 2010
The mutual intelligibility within the continuum is not as high as you'd think. For example, Umuahia and Ngwa share a border, but when Umuahia people get to speaking their real, unadulterated Umuahia, intelligibility almost goes away. Likewise, Ngwa and Mbaise are side by side. Yet, when I speak true, unadulterated Ngwa, my Mbaise friends struggle, and sometimes outright fail to comprehend what I'm saying, and vice versa.

We're not as mutually intelligible as you'd think, and since language is about mutual intelligibility, it can still be said that the various lects are respective languages. We cannot inherently communicate with each other, and because we lack that ability to inherently communication (even with those who border us), linguistic would classify our speech forms as respective languages.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ezeagu(m): 6:21pm On Apr 20, 2010
Opobo was originally Ibibio land, people should take note of this when talking about what language is 'native'.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by kliva6(f): 11:29am On Oct 31, 2011
IT SUCKZZ THAT I CAN'T SPEAK MY LANGUAGE!!!!!!!!!!! angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

however, my father couldn't teach it to me because his father never spoke it to him, so NOBODY in his family speaks the language enough to be able to teach me. If anything, I can only say a few things which i learn from a few other people from d same place (and of course what my name means) but I MUST learn the language (and I mean IBANI), sad thing is in Opobo people dont even speak d language,anymore it's been replaced by some messed up slangy version of pidgin Igbo (idk i heard this from my dad, i've never been there apparently u can learn if u go to the interior of Bonny) when people hear of dying languages they immediatley think of some lost tribe in India, when in fact so many of our languages are being forgotten. :''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Nov 01, 2011
kliva6:

IT SUCKZZ THAT I CAN'T SPEAK MY LANGUAGE!!!!!!!!!!!  angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

however, my father couldn't teach it to me because his father never spoke it to him, so NOBODY in his family speaks the language enough to be able to teach me. If anything, I can only say a few things which i learn from a few other people from d same place (and of course what my name means) but I MUST learn the language (and I mean IBANI), sad thing is in Opobo people dont even speak d language,anymore it's been replaced by some messed up slangy version of pidgin Igbo (idk i heard this from my dad, i've never been there apparently u can learn if u go to the interior of Bonny) when people hear of dying languages they immediatley think of some lost tribe in India, when in fact so many of our languages are being forgotten. :''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(

Obviously, some people are not telling the truth about Opobo.

Anyway, it's good. As a native Igbo speaker, I'll not have any trouble getting around if I find myself in Opobo.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Afam4eva(m): 2:55pm On Nov 02, 2011
-
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Chyz2: 3:42pm On Nov 02, 2011
Actually, due to the mass amount of Igbos there due to slavery, alot of or most of the Bonny Indigenes are Igbo. They were just accultured into Ijo. With that being said, there is nothing wrong with them speaking Igbo because it is the language for most of them whether now have Ijo names or not.

If the recent tests that supposedly can trace one's origination to a particular tribe is actually accurate, i think a lot of things would be settle and a lot of people there would be shocked of what they really are. grin
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by kliva6(f): 4:17pm On Nov 02, 2011
@ mbatuku2 If ur suggesting that my father lied then u obviously have smthing up :/ remember, he's nt exactly 100% familiar with the place cuz hisown father didn't familiarize him with it, i guess im asking u to explain what u mean by sme people arent telling the truth about Opobo. have u ever been there urself

@ Chyz* looolzzz i guess my history needs sum work cheesy nyway, id love 2 learn d language i really dont care how smiley smiley smiley
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Chyz2: 4:38pm On Nov 02, 2011
kliva6:

@ mbatuku2 If your suggesting that my father lied then u obviously have smthing up :/ remember, he's nt exactly 100% familiar with the place cuz hisown father didn't familiarize him with it, i guess im asking u to explain what u mean by sme people arent telling the truth about Opobo. have u ever been there urself

@ Chyz* looolzzz i guess my history needs sum work cheesy nyway, id love 2 learn d language i really dont care how smiley smiley smiley

Well if you want to learn the language(Ibani), Opobo is the wrong place for it. grin
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by PROUDIGBO(m): 5:26pm On Nov 02, 2011
There's close links through marriage between Opobo and my Mums place, Azumini in Abia state. Many Opobo men have married from there. smiley
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Nov 02, 2011
kliva6:

@ mbatuku2 If your suggesting that my  father lied then u obviously have smthing up :/ remember, he's nt exactly 100% familiar with the place cuz hisown father didn't familiarize him with it, i guess im asking u to explain what u mean by sme people arent telling the truth about Opobo. have u ever been there urself

I was just acknowledging your dad's candour concerning the pidgin Igbo spoken in Opobo, of which I remarked on the fact that I wouldn't have any problems getting around Opobo when I eventually visit there(it's one of the places I hope to visit in the future).

So when I said some people, I meant one poster here(not you) who never agree that Opobo is Igbo-speaking primarily.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by kliva6(f): 4:59am On Nov 03, 2011
oh kkk loll I guess my reading needs help too cheesy I hope u do visit tho, I'd love to as well wink

@ Proud Igbo, I know rite my mums from Abia 2, I wonder what they see in Igbo women hmmmm? cheesy
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 6:58am On Nov 03, 2011
kliva6:

oh kkk loll I guess my reading needs help too cheesy I hope u do visit tho, I'd love to as well wink

Well, for me it's just a historical place. I wish they have some kind of relics to re-visualize their history.

Does your dad speak Igbo?
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by kliva6(f): 11:27am On Nov 03, 2011
Yeah he does, its kinda crazy actually, he grew up in both areas, but he's always been closer to Igbo people I guess, thts where he met my mum smiley
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Nov 03, 2011
kliva6:

Yeah he does, its kinda crazy actually, he grew up in both areas, but he's always been closer to Igbo people I guess, thts where he met my mum smiley

Oh! I see. What about your uncles and aunts, do they also speak Igbo?(I mean from your dad's side)
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by kliva6(f): 7:30am On Nov 04, 2011
Yeah thats the funny thing u know, whenever they're around they always interact in igbo, (quite honestly i'm not sure they know the the language beyond hello,good morning, thats wht i mean by the language is dying sad absolutely nothing against igbo or whatsoever)
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 11:02am On Nov 04, 2011
kliva6:

Yeah thats the funny thing u know, whenever they're around they always interact in igbo,  (quite honestly i'm not sure they know the the language beyond hello,good morning, thats wht i mean by the language is dying sad absolutely nothing against igbo or whatsoever)

I must admit that the history of Opobo is more complex than I thought. Obviously, there's some missing links that need to be connected together to make sense. Still wondering how this supposed 'dying language' came about? If there were considerable number of native speakers of the language, what led to it's demise?

I just wish I could come across unbiased information concerning the ethnic composition of the folks King Jaja moved over to Opobo.

There are just too many questions begging for answers, which I hope to get to the truth.

Nne, i na-asu Igbo koma?
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Chyz2: 5:04pm On Nov 04, 2011
kliva6:

Yeah thats the funny thing u know, whenever they're around they always interact in igbo, (quite honestly i'm not sure they know the the language beyond hello,good morning, thats wht i mean by the language is dying sad absolutely nothing against igbo or whatsoever)

When it comes to politics and how Igbo people are discriminated against within the nigerian government, do your uncles,aunts,pops feel like its there people(the Igbos) or do see it as WE are Ijo and Igbo has nothing to do with us?
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Afam4eva(m): 5:09pm On Nov 04, 2011
Chyz*:

When it comes to politics and how Igbo people are discriminated against within the nigerian government, do your uncles,aunts,pops feel like its there people(the Igbos) or do see it as WE are Ijo and Igbo has nothing to do with us?

I'll like to know this too.

I've once come across an Ikwerre, even though he disclaims Igbo. Some guys were having an argument where they were bad-mouthing Igbos. The Ikwerre guy was looking kinda angry at the derogatory comments they directed at Igbos.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by kliva6(f): 8:51am On Nov 05, 2011
@mbatuku2 i know, such a small town, too much history lol smiley and as for Igbo yeah i do smiley my mum's dialect tho (she's 4rm ohafia)

chyz, I'm not so sure i understand what u mean. If asked, they will tell you they're from Rivers state, but from what i've seen and experienced, i'd say they're much closer to Igbos, but could u xplain what ur question means?

afam, it's really funny, isn't it? I mean Ikwerre people arent Igbo, or we would call them Igbo not Ikwerre. they do have ( i heard) some kind of a history [it's actually kinda obvious, the lang, their names etc] but i want to know [and please forgive my not knowing] are Ikwerre people Ijaw?? cuz i know of other minorgroups that are, but ive never heard of Ikwerre people being mentioned as such

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Photos Of The Rolls-Royces In Emir Sanusi’s Garage / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage / Corpse Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China Packaged; To Be Flown To Nig

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.