Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,693 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:30 PM

9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities (40729 Views)

Top 15 Courses That No Longer Exist In Nigerian Polytechnics / JAMB Fixes Cut Off Marks For Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges Of Education / 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Universities Are Better Than Polytechnics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by aolumaxi(m): 12:22pm On Feb 25, 2016
This is a counter thread to the thread: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Universities are Better than Polytechnic: www.nairaland.com/2954796/9-reasons-why-nigerian-universities

Here are my own 9 Reasons why Nigerian Polytechnics are Better than Universities.

1. Easy of study: The polytechnic system is split into two programs; two years National Diploma (ND) and two years Higher National Diploma(HND) programs. Splitting the two program offers many people the chance to follow a step by step approach to education unlike the four or five year course duration in the university which is quite long and tiring. I have a boss, who after obtaining his ND, went to hustle, became an established CEO with what he has lent and came back for HND 7 years after.

2. Entrepreneurial Skill: Because Polytechnic teaching are practical in nature, the students are more inclined in starting their own little business from the practical experience they have acquired. For example, a Quantity Surveying Student (ND) in my school can successfully start preparing Bills of Quantities. A Building Student with the little practical experience can specialize in a tiling business or any business he deems fit based on the experience he acquired while in school.

3. Equal Certificate: all polytechnic results have the same value either private, northern or eastern polytechnic . However, the varsity certificate are not equal and Federal University certificate is more valuable and wanted to any varsity certificate.

4. Change of Study or Environment: you can decide to change your course of study after your national diploma if there is any reason to do so. Moreso, you can run a national diploma course in Lagos and continue your HND in another polytechnic in any part of Nigeria. You can also go further to study in the university in any preferred state.

5. Easy Admission: there are some individuals who have been running after university for over 5 to 6 years without any breakthrough. Polytechnic have made admission easier, with one or two trials, you will conquer the problem of admission. People have now been enlighten to this and are now even taking poly as first choice.

6. Affordable School Fees: the polytechnic has made education affordable to all Nigerian unlike the varsity that some of them charge huge fees

7. Classroom Situations: in polytechnics, there are classroom situations in contrast with the universities which makes use of theatre halls and auditorium for lectures which are mostly overcrowded. This creates opportunity for better understanding.

8. Pratical Approch to Teaching this is one thing we see often in a polytechnic setting. During my ND days, our project was to construct a workshop extension from foundation to the roof level with the next set taking the roofing of the project. A year two student in a university by then is still studying what is construction whereas a polytechnic ND II student of my course already has taken practicals on painting, carpentry, joinery, concrete and blockwork etc.

9. They are better in field works: due to the practical training in school and exposure during SIWES and IT, they tend to be better in field works than their BSc. Mates who most times are always hiding behind a desk.
I drop my pen at this point.

PROUDLY LASPOTIAN

97 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by Nobody: 12:24pm On Feb 25, 2016
some polytechnics are good.. but dont you ever compare polytechnics to universities.. if you have entered oau, UI. ABU,etc.. you will hate poly.

why do you think most polytechnics are filled with cultits..? especially kwara poly

someone close to me graduated from poly 5 years ago. belive me,she is still searching for a job till now..

the day i first entered unilorin, i promised myself never to go to a polytechnic in my life..

have you seen those law chicks in oau? the sight of their smart and beautiful faces will make you forget about all those mgbeke girls wey full our polytechnics

96 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by Akkord4gov: 12:27pm On Feb 25, 2016
As expected

Soon,NCE students too go come claim they are better

That guy above me didn't make any sense. He can't even go to a debate competition cos all his points will be a waste
Unemployment is general,never limit it to a Poly graduate,i have seen Uni graduate of 8yrs without employment
Cultist also,go to Eksu,Osu and Lasu and you will realise that cultism there too isn't something of joke
I gave up on him when he talked about beautiful OAU law Students.
Painful even though he might be a product of overrated Uni Graduate but couldn't even give reasonable reasons why Uni is better than Poly

Before you ask me,i am a graduate of a Uni(Eksu to be precise)

70 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by vosquare: 2:19pm On Feb 25, 2016
grin grin

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by Nobody: 2:20pm On Feb 25, 2016
Well u can say dat d polytechnics are as gud as d universities. But saying dat they are better even with d reasons given, is not tenable.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by Sunnycliff(m): 2:20pm On Feb 25, 2016
Cheap Consolation. Why do you have to run a PGDE before Masters program unlike a University Graduate in the same field??

Mediocrity is not celebrated pls

24 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by petux(m): 2:20pm On Feb 25, 2016
quy.....therez no point here xcept no. 8....every1 knows universities are far better dhan poly....read for jamb u no qo read u qo kum get admin go poly kon dae defend am.
#teamakokite

9 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by Nobody: 2:21pm On Feb 25, 2016
all I know is 'favour'

most recruiters don't really recon with poly tho.
Recruiter like Sumeru will rate HND alongside university third class and pass for a 40k foot soldier job while workforce will find it very difficult to invite HND holders at all

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by hakeem4(m): 2:21pm On Feb 25, 2016
Counter thread

Dropping out ti takeover

2 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by lanwrex(m): 2:21pm On Feb 25, 2016
Stop consoling ursef because u wentu a Poly.. Ifyu enter oau ui or unilag, u will never compare with polytechnic

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by chinchum(m): 2:21pm On Feb 25, 2016
yinmu lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by nduprincekc(m): 2:22pm On Feb 25, 2016

3 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by mizlolar(f): 2:22pm On Feb 25, 2016
you are a fool

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by greatestman(m): 2:22pm On Feb 25, 2016
We are all better than our certificates be it ND, be it HND, be it degree, be it PGD, be it Masters, be it Ph.D..
As long as you have enough money to solve your immediate needs, community needs, societal needs and the problems in the world, I think your certificate(s) doesn't matter... make sure with you ND, HND, Degree.. You have enough money that can keep your wife mouth shut at home... Comparison is a game of people with low self esteem..

43 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by mizlolar(f): 2:22pm On Feb 25, 2016
[size=35pt]Are you crazy?[/size]

6 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by tomdon(m): 2:23pm On Feb 25, 2016
easy
aolumaxi:

1. Easy of study:

I haven't even read past the first line than I've had to throw the article into the recycle bin

15 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by chyckxx(m): 2:23pm On Feb 25, 2016
cheesy
Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by Tylive(m): 2:23pm On Feb 25, 2016
and in the Labour Market??
Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by Nienie(f): 2:23pm On Feb 25, 2016
I saw this coming Oya fight or quiz it out jorh
Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by ewizard1: 2:23pm On Feb 25, 2016
viickerz:
some polytechnics are good.. but dont you ever compare polytechnics to universities.. if you have entered oau, UI. ABU,etc.. you will hate poly.

why do you think most polytechnics are filled with cultits..? especially kwara poly

someone close to me graduated from poly 5 years ago. belive me,she is still searching for a job till now..

the day i first entered unilorin, i promised myself never to go to a polytechnic in my life..

have you seen those law chicks in oau? the sight of their smart and beautiful faces will make you forget about all those mgbeke girls wey full our polytechnics
Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by Parkac(m): 2:23pm On Feb 25, 2016
viickerz:

Your reasons are daft

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by Rilwayne001: 2:23pm On Feb 25, 2016
sad
Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by Nobody: 2:24pm On Feb 25, 2016
Na wa ooo. Consolation time.
Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by chimah3(m): 2:24pm On Feb 25, 2016
We no still go tongue
Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by Nobody: 2:24pm On Feb 25, 2016
viickerz:

U were making sense until u said these.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by laprince(m): 2:25pm On Feb 25, 2016
viickerz:

Poor shot!!!

Our national problems are not theoretical.They are practical and industrial.

So, only Polytechnic graduates are jobless.
you need laying of hands and legs.

Polytechnics are great. The universities have more aesthetic features.

Somehow, in Nigeria, university graduates feel like superheroes, even when they have not yet gotten anything doing.

DID YOU KNOW THAT Aare Afe Babalola got his SAN by correspondence?

You had better strived to be relevant, rather than romancing your almighty BSc.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by drolanight(m): 2:25pm On Feb 25, 2016
U must b high on osogbo weed
Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by Habidab: 2:26pm On Feb 25, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin This guy have not for ones step outside lagos state before

1 Like

Re: 9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities by abdultek: 2:28pm On Feb 25, 2016
lols. this is serious. though I'm a university graduate... i believe both institution is great!!!!!! but Nigeria needs practical situations to counter it problems regardless of where u studied from... let join hands together to forge a beautiful and strong Nigeria with what we have upstairs.

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Student Beaten Mercilessly By His Teacher For Leaving His Hair Bushy. Photos / WAEC Announces Date For 2021 WASSCE Examination / FG Approves Abolition Of HND/BSC Dichotomy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.