Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,134 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:42 AM

Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job (19233 Views)

A Lesson On Getting A Better Job After Being Fired / I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? / Confused About Contract Job And A Permanent Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by adepiero: 8:53pm On Feb 25, 2016
ladyF:
grin
Late comer tongue
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by austine4real(m): 8:53pm On Feb 25, 2016
Give me 30k so that i'll consult the gods on ur behalf
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by Bukaiske: 8:53pm On Feb 25, 2016
Patini147:
Transportation alone will finish the 50k in Lagos
LaurelP:
If you are very sure that the company has potentials and u trust them enough, then stay there. The skills u will acquire are more valuable than the salary.
Coming to Lagos, ur expenses will double making the salary to be inconsequential. Its like starting all over from the scratch with such meagre salary in an expensive place like Lagos.
Patini147:
Transportation alone will finish the 50k in Lagos
True talk......You can't compare d standard of living in Lagos to Ibadan.... Another thing about Lagos is d hold up issue........ Ibadan is very okay for you........
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by Lakesydha4real(m): 8:55pm On Feb 25, 2016
This is my candid advice bro. U talked about the Ibadan company having great potentials to grow bigger and u have time to do some other stuffs. U need to think about the living conditions in Lagos( cost of feeding, transportation etc). Wen u start earning the 50k in Ibadan u will live better than someone earning that amount in Lagos. If I were in your shoes bro I will continue with the Ibadan job. Use ur head bro. All the best!!
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by bodeoni: 9:04pm On Feb 25, 2016
davide470:
See the deals through. Stay with your present firm in IB.

From your comment, you really believe the IB firm has a great future, so why leave when you have become an integral part of it

Well Said David
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by ladyF(f): 9:04pm On Feb 25, 2016
adepiero:
Late comer tongue
lol bad belle people just dey tif my spot anyhow cry
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by modik(m): 9:06pm On Feb 25, 2016
ladyF:
You better stay in IB. You want to come and be squatting with relative for how long? You think they won't get tired of you? When they chase you out, will you rent a place and furnish on that salary?

The fact that the Lagos job is strictly marketing, what happens when they start giving you u realistic targets and cutting your pay because you didn't meet target? Lagos is expensive to live in, transport alone can slash your salary by half, IB would be the wisest decision. Gives you time for yourself, lower cost of living, etc, etc. Please use your tongue to count your teeth.

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

I stand with LadyF

Stay at Ibadan, advance your skills, enhance your competitive edge then spread your job search net for a BIGGER catch.
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by Orlarmie(m): 9:15pm On Feb 25, 2016
I would advise you stay in Ibadan. You have time to do your thing(very paramount). Cost of living (very paramount). Don't forget you will be waking up by 5am in Lagos. Lagos can make you crazy I swear. On a light note-REMEMBER Heineken is 250 naira in Ibadan but 500 naira in Lagos. Think twice

1 Like

Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by kaysce(m): 9:20pm On Feb 25, 2016
LaurelP:

The earlier u stop depending on relatives and think independently the better for u. U said the Ibadan job gives u time and u have other side stuff ur doing and there is a chance of acquiring useful skills.
Why do u want to leave it and come to an already saturated Lagos because of 50k and ur brother.

Also, ibadan is not even half saturated so u ave great chances to harness ur skills for ur self. Lagos is overchoked and that 50k!............
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by Nobody: 9:21pm On Feb 25, 2016
Lakesydha4real:
This is my candid advice bro. U talked about the Ibadan company having great potentials to grow bigger and u have time to do some other stuffs. U need to think about the living conditions in Lagos( cost of feeding, transportation etc). Wen u start earning the 50k in Ibadan u will live better than someone earning that amount in Lagos. If I were in your shoes bro I will continue with the Ibadan job. Use ur head bro. All the best!!

But the truth is that am not being paid a dime at the moment. Just 5k, to facilitate movements. So the pressure to switch over to Lagos is much. Even though I dislike the city. But am also looking at the prospects of staying in a place like lagos and opportunities that abound there. What do you think Sir??
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by Teddeebear: 9:22pm On Feb 25, 2016
Agubushmenyo:
I am presently working for an IT firm in Ibadan (Upcoming company). We partner with Institutions to train them on IT skills. I am yet to receive a major salary apart from Logistics since december because we are yet to finalize deals with most Institutions.

They rely a lot on my expertise in Marketing so I set the pace for them. Even though things are rough now, but I keep sensing that the future of the company is Bright. We were told that we will be trained in the company on various IT skills so as to help out as Instructors when the deals starts landing. Even though I was told they will pay 50k when the company seals enough deals, but I don't know how long it will take till I start earning that Amount.

Another IT firm in Lagos saw my marketing skills through a client I know, and agreed to pay me 50K excluding movement costs from one place to another, just to do the same thing I do with my present company just that I will be restricted to just marketing.

So I am so confused whether to move to Lagos or to stay with this present company.

Please put your self in my shoes and advice me.

I have just this night and tomorrow morning to accept the offer!! Pleaseeee.

don't leave your present job, the Lagos firm wants to take advantage of you.

as side from that, you may not be able to survive in Lagos with 50k, whereas 50k is big money in ibadan.

you will not enjoy the stress of every day work in Lagos for 50k
unless they will pay 70k upwards

stay with your coy and pray things get better, they will value you more in a long run than the Lagos firm

btw, Google netpro international and apply for freelance similar role, you can work at your own time and pace, but the Lagos firm will put you under unnecessary pressure
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by Teddeebear: 9:25pm On Feb 25, 2016
Agubushmenyo:

But the truth is that am not being paid a dime at the moment. Just 5k, to facilitate movements. So the pressure to switch over to Lagos is much. Even though I dislike the city. But am also looking at the prospects of staying in a place like lagos and opportunities that abound there. What do you think Sir??
stay in Ibadan stop considering money,
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by SeedofAfrica(m): 9:33pm On Feb 25, 2016
Agubushmenyo:

I have a Bro in lagos, which makes feeding and accommodation free. But in Ibadan, I stay alone and feed myself. So what do you think?

Soro niye

The lesser you dream of depending on families/people the more likely you are to make it on time! angry
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by Nobody: 9:33pm On Feb 25, 2016
Agubushmenyo:
I am presently working for an IT firm in Ibadan (Upcoming company). We partner with Institutions to train them on IT skills. I am yet to receive a major salary apart from Logistics since december because we are yet to finalize deals with most Institutions.

They rely a lot on my expertise in Marketing so I set the pace for them. Even though things are rough now, but I keep sensing that the future of the company is Bright. We were told that we will be trained in the company on various IT skills so as to help out as Instructors when the deals starts landing. Even though I was told they will pay 50k when the company seals enough deals, but I don't know how long it will take till I start earning that Amount.

Another IT firm in Lagos saw my marketing skills through a client I know, and agreed to pay me 50K excluding movement costs from one place to another, just to do the same thing I do with my present company just that I will be restricted to just marketing.

So I am so confused whether to move to Lagos or to stay with this present company.

if you're certain your present company has prospects stick with em, albeit the new job would be limiting right?
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by galantjoe(m): 9:36pm On Feb 25, 2016
Never trust any boss they are chemelom. They can sack any time they want after getting all they need from u. Now u re getting paid. U hope for future. Na your father business . please accept lagos job sharp sharp. Lagos is a city with opportunities
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by Nobody: 9:40pm On Feb 25, 2016
engrkenny:

if you're certain your present company has prospects stick with em, albeit the new job would be limiting right?

Yeap strictly marketing. I was just told few hrs ago from the HOD that they will finance my marketing movements. All I have to do is just keep chasing deals!
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by Bobbybube(m): 9:43pm On Feb 25, 2016
Agubushmenyo:

My brother, no body makes it in life without calculated risks. If u want to be a great man, a guru in ur field, if u want 50k to be ur stepping stone; Then u MUST come to Lagos. Because that is where you will make it.
If u stay in ibadan,u are sure of ur job and ur 50k but Lagos offers more. OPPORTUNITY!! However, U must be prepared to be very smart, hard working, and amiable... if not remain in Ibadan where it'll be easy for u.
ps:make sure end things well cos u never know what the future holds.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by olumaxi(m): 9:54pm On Feb 25, 2016
kingofchess:
if I am in ur shoes, I will go 4 the lagos job.....some organizations don't want 2 know if u started with them from the scratch or nt....if they want 2 sack u bro they will sack u without looking back.
i seconded d above....i worked for a private firm in dat same ibadan for 3yrs.....was promoted from mixer to quality control officer without any increment of salary...d company too had just started then and i also saw a brighter future ahead,hence,i didnt bother....but lo,dis january,i and som others have been asked to go home,based on d fact that the company is havin low sales and they cant afford to pay salaries...the people left at d company r peeps from d MD's home town......so bro,i wil advise u to grab d lag job cos i also had other opportunities then,but was reluctant to go owing to d illusion of brighter future of wea i was workin

1 Like

Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by Cavenchy(m): 9:55pm On Feb 25, 2016
Okay I have seen your thread. Time to analyse.

First look and weigh your options
IBADAN VS LAGOS

IBADAN
No current pay, but 'likely' in the future (How soon is this?) and how do you pay for your house where you currently live? Are the other things you do to make up for the non salary payment specific to Ibadan alone? How soon is your house rent due for renewal?

Freedom to work other jobs, 'Is this freedom likely to continue after you start getting paid 50k by the firm? What are the reasonably foreseeable prospects of the firm? Do you get to progress with the firm? Possible promotion to lead trainer or professional consultant for the company on training affairs? or do you remain in the same role indefinitely?

LAGOS
50k from the start and housing provided by brother, does your brother live close to the place of work? What would be the cost of transportation compared to the salary? Trust me Lagos is not so big but it could appear so due to the traffic issues and you might end up spending more money on transportation as well as time and stress coupled with getting from one part of lagos to the other.

Restricted freedom on jobs, Can you continue the other businesses you were doing while at ibadan in lagos too? Is it possible to finance your own place (yes, you most likely would eventually need to get yours) with the wages + business profit in Lagos? Likewise, do you get progression or are you likely to learn and expand your professional portfolio with their client base? Are they a larger company with more opportunities for intellectual growth and earnings?

SOME RECOMMENDATIONS
Based on your answers to the above, most of your indecisions would be rectified, but i'll add a few points. If your cost is more than earnings in the lagos coy, you can suggest a higher pay if you think it is still possible, if they refuse, you can still stay back to work in Ibadan.
Similarly, if it appears the Ibadan firm would not be likely to pay you in the nearest future, then they might just be using you and in that case you need to move.

However, I think 50k for a professional trainer is not a fair deal, but I might be wrong as I have heard some people can actually survive on less than 5 dollars a day in Nigeria, I doubt that is applicable to someone who works in a place like lagos, where they are likely to spend twice that amount on transportation alone to commute to and from their place of work. If you do the metrics, the pay is almost not commiserate with the standard of living and the skills and experience you bring the firm imo, so if you must work in the lagos firm, I think they should offer something more attractive. As my signature says, value is relative. You can apply that to your situation, weigh the pros and cons of where you are and where you need to be based on the value you attach to your situation.

3 Likes

Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by Dething: 9:59pm On Feb 25, 2016
My brother, stay in Ibadan jejely! Lagos is very crazy now! U will hate itself!
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by Nobody: 10:15pm On Feb 25, 2016
Cavenchy:
Okay I have seen your thread. Time to analyse.

First look and weigh your options
IBADAN VS LAGOS

IBADAN
No current pay, but 'likely' in the future (How soon is this?) and how do you pay for your house where you currently live? Are the other things you do to make up for the non salary payment specific to Ibadan alone? How soon is your house rent due for renewal?

Freedom to work other jobs, 'Is this freedom likely to continue after you start getting paid 50k by the firm? What are the reasonably foreseeable prospects of the firm? Do you get to progress with the firm? Possible promotion to lead trainer or professional consultant for the company on training affairs? or do you remain in the same role indefinitely?

LAGOS
50k from the start and housing provided by brother, does your brother live close to the place of work? What would be the cost of transportation compared to the salary? Trust me Lagos is not so big but it could appear so due to the traffic issues and you might end up spending more money on transportation as well as time and stress coupled with getting from one part of lagos to the other.

Restricted freedom on jobs, Can you continue the other businesses you were doing while at ibadan in lagos too? Is it possible to finance your own place (yes, you most likely would eventually need to get yours) with the wages + business profit in Lagos? Likewise, do you get progression or are you likely to learn and expand your professional portfolio with their client base? Are they a larger company with more opportunities for intellectual growth and earnings?

SOME RECOMMENDATIONS
Based on your answers to the above, most of your indecisions would be rectified, but i'll add a few points. If your cost is more than earnings in the lagos coy, you can suggest a higher pay if you think it is still possible, if they refuse, you can still stay back to work in Ibadan.
Similarly, if it appears the Ibadan firm would not be likely to pay you in the nearest future, then they might just be using you and in that case you need to move.

However, I think 50k for a professional trainer is not a fair deal, but I might be wrong as I have heard some people can actually survive on less than 5 dollars a day in Nigeria, I doubt that is applicable to someone who works in a place like lagos, where they are likely to spend twice that amount on transportation alone to commute to and from their place of work. If you do the maths, the pay is almost not commiserate with the standard of living and the skills and experience you bring the firm imo, so if you must work in the lagos firm, I think they should offer something more attractive. As my signature says, value is relative. You can apply that to your situation, weigh the pros and cons of where you are and where you need to be based on the value you attach to your situation.

I love your analysis bro. Let me tell you some facts
1) I will spend about 400 naira on transportation everyday in Lagos
2) I won't do any Time involved business when I start this job.
3) My immediate elder bro will house me, feed me, so as to enable me save for a while(according to him).

So what do you think?
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by Nobody: 10:29pm On Feb 25, 2016
Agubushmenyo:

Yeap strictly marketing. I was just told few hrs ago from the HOD that they will finance my marketing movements. All I have to do is just keep chasing deals!

i understand, but what happens when u should i say stop being lucky with the deals? I'd rather have more relevance. Marketing jobs are even more lucrative when u work on commission basis, if you've got the skills.
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by walexsho(m): 10:30pm On Feb 25, 2016
I had similar Issue of recent, I work in a firm that offer me X amount as Salary+accomodation and no transport cost, as a way to move back to Lagos to pave way for other opportunities I had an interview with another Firm of the same nature of job in Lagos, I've stated the amount I wanted them to pay as salary in a form prior to the interview, Unknowingly, they had noted down some counter points as means to let me beat down my price, despite all their tricks, I refused to accept their offer of X+N5000 amount as salary which transport fare will exhume 50percent and eventually I will be left with peanut. Why I rejected the offer is that I have a business which is still at an early stage in the town where I work presently, they tried to play smart at the interview, the salary of just N5000 increment, 50percent of the salary on transport, cost of feeding, Leaving home for work by 6am. With all this, I did my permutation and Combination.
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by Cavenchy(m): 10:33pm On Feb 25, 2016
Agubushmenyo:

I love your analysis bro. Let me tell you some facts
1) I will spend about 400 naira on transportation everyday in Lagos
2) I won't do any Time involved business when I start this job.
3) My immediate elder bro will house me, feed me, so as to enable me save for a while(according to him).

So what do you think?
There is more to this decision than just present cost of transportation, or your brother's statements (These things aren't set in stone and can change as they are outside your control and are mostly short term). I would rather suggest you focus more on the prospects of your future progression at the moment and how you see yourself actually turning out better equipped professionally and financially independent in the long term. So I would repeat these questions again, and you can answer them in your heart as you are in best position to know what's best, I'm only spurring you to critically analyse yourself personally. So here goes..
How soon would the Ibadan firm start paying? what are their plans for you in the long term based on your observation (not theirs)? how soon would they get their contracts/clients all set up? Would the Ibadan coy still give you time for the business when they start paying you 50k? Cos you can always find contract jobs in Lagos for those days you wont be working and Ibadan isn't far away, your brother could offer a temporary pad to rest for when you have to drop in to deliver a quick weekend training to a firm and you wouldn't become such a huge responsibility for him. As for the Lagos coy, what savings do you intend to make if you would not find time for other businesses which I believe previously helped you pay up your accommodation in Ibadan? You best know what you are saving for, and if the money is more important to you than career progression, it's a good opportunity to maximize the opportunity to save depending on your target considering how much you are currently being offered vs how much you currently make from your side businesses. If you see working in Lagos as an opportunity to move to other well paying firms later on, this might work, but also consider that if you would be working round the clock all week, you might not even find the time to attend an interview. But the choice is yours.

1 Like

Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by Nobody: 10:34pm On Feb 25, 2016
engrkenny:

i understand, but what happens when u should i say stop being lucky with the deals? I'd rather have more relevance. Marketing jobs are even more lucrative when u work on commission basis, if you've got the skills.

Its a yearly target. I am given a maximum of 6mnths to prove myself or else I am shown the way out. Lolz
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by Nobody: 10:45pm On Feb 25, 2016
Cavenchy:

There is more to this decision than just present cost of transportation, or your brother's statements (These things aren't set in stone and can change as they are outside your control and are mostly short term). I would rather suggest you focus more on the prospects of your future progression at the moment and how you see yourself actually turning out better equipped professionally and financially independent in the long term. So I would repeat these questions again, and you can answer them in your heart as you are in best position to know what's best, I'm only spurring you to critically analyse yourself personally. So here goes..
How soon would the Ibadan firm start paying? what are their plans for you in the long term based on your observation (not theirs)? how soon would they get their contracts/clients all set up? Would the Ibadan coy still give you time for the business when they start paying you 50k? Cos you can always find contract jobs in Lagos for those days you wont be working and Ibadan isn't far away, your brother could offer a temporary pad to rest for when you have to drop in to deliver a quick weekend training to a firm and you wouldn't become such a huge responsibility for him. As for the Lagos coy, what savings do you intend to make if you would not find time for other businesses which I believe previously helped you pay up your accommodation in Ibadan? You best know what you are saving for, and if the money is more important to you than career progression, it's a good opportunity to maximize the opportunity to save depending on your target considering how much you are currently being offered vs how much you currently make from your side businesses. If you see working in Lagos as an opportunity to move to other well paying firms later on, this might work, but also consider that if you would be working round the clock all week, you might not even find the time to attend an interview. But the choice is yours.

You nailed it Bro... Am so grateful.
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by Nobody: 10:48pm On Feb 25, 2016
God bless everybody that contributed on this thread... Different Logical and brilliant Ideas.
I cherish you all...! Thanks so much.
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by Cavenchy(m): 10:51pm On Feb 25, 2016
Agubushmenyo:

You nailed it Bro... Am so grateful.

No worries mate, best wishes for whatever decision you finally take, if you believe in God, pray about it as well. I see a lot of views on this thread, so don't forget to let us know what you eventually decide to do, it might help others in similar situation.

Cheers.
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by Nobody: 11:16pm On Feb 25, 2016
Cavenchy:

No worries mate, best wishes for whatever decision you finally take, if you believe in God, pray about it as well. I see a lot of views on this thread, so don't forget to let us know what you eventually decide to do, it might help others in similar situation.

Cheers.

I will, but I will start by requesting for an Increase in Salary with the Lagos firm. If No is the answer, I will weigh the options, using your analysis. I got a million ideas on this thread. Most Nairalanders are just so Intelligent.
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by rydow(m): 11:37pm On Feb 25, 2016
OP,

If I come to Ibadan next weekend and I found out that u are still hanging around. U will see what I will do for you.

An organization that has not fully confirmed your appointment?
They haven't played U a dime

Yet u want to sleep and wake with them abi. I pity U. Font just be surprised when contracts start tripping in and they categorically tell U that its there strategy that's working and not your marketing contributions.

Don't be surprised when they bring in there people to replace you, wen there national cake is booming.

Don't be surprised wen u are fired for smiling too much at a client.

The truth is **Lagos is Challenging just as UK, US, Germany and Canada are. Racism exist right and our people survive.How

If u can answer how they survive, my brother U will survive Lagos. Lagos Is a Land of Many Opportunities. Only the Lazy ones complain.

About the 50k pay, though it can be so small to start but I can bet wen u start and u are hardworking as u claim. Beter offers are already waiting.

Cheeeers smiley
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by Nobody: 11:51pm On Feb 25, 2016
Agubushmenyo:

Its a yearly target. I am given a maximum of 6mnths to prove myself or else I am shown the way out. Lolz

Lol, consolidate on ur current job. Become an almost invaluable part.
Re: Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job by AreaFada2: 11:54pm On Feb 25, 2016
Agubushmenyo:
Just that I am not tied to this my present Job. It gives me time to do some other things. I only move out when I have some marketing thing to do. But the Lagos job is from Monday to Friday. Non stop!!

If you're so crucial to their work, you're not really getting paid, and you like the current flexibility, then they should bring you on board as a shareholder. That way, you share the risk but also potential benefit with them.

If they won't bring you on board, and no prospect of a decent pay in the near future, move on.

Because after you have helped them to grow, they can ditch you for somebody currently understudying you. I have seen it a few times before.

Everyone is dispensable sooner or later.

In the early days, Facebook gave shares to workmen & others renovating their offices because they had no cash to pay. Those people made a mint years later when they cashed in. cheesy grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Steps To Enhancing Valuable Job Connections In 2014 / Inspector Held For ‘forging’ Colleagues’ Promotion Signals (photo) / Nigerian Policeman Vows To Quit After Experiencing Extortion By His Colleague

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.