Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,360 members, 7,800,728 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:52 AM

Cures For A Shopaholic? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Cures For A Shopaholic? (4155 Views)

Divas, Here Comes Shopaholic!!! (pictures included) / Seeking Soap That Fades/cures Scars, Blemishes And Stretch Marks / Confessions Of This Shopaholic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cures For A Shopaholic? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 12, 2009
1. Don't go with your creidt card(s)

2. Don't go with a shopoholic friend

3. Go with cash so if it rund out, you're less likely to overspend

4. Know what you came for. . . .

Add your cure tongue
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by No2Atheism(m): 7:39pm On Jul 12, 2009
Always take a man along so that he can be blunt with you, grin
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by mohawkchic(f): 8:06pm On Jul 12, 2009
~Before following the Rules,lets find out what type of "Shopaholic" You are!! cheesy

"The term shopaholic used to mean someone who liked to shop, maybe a little too much. Now being a shopaholic may mean that you are a compulsive shopper who spends beyond your limits, buys things you have no use for, and[b] uses shopping as a way to feel better temporarily.[/b]

Some believe that the compulsive shopper or shopaholic is actually suffering from an addiction. Addiction is defined as having a compulsion to a commit a behavior, being unable to stop a behavior, and continuing the behavior despite harmful consequences. Research now shows that addictive behavior often provides a momentary lift in mood. A flood of “good feeling” producing hormones rewards a shopaholic. Unfortunately the lift is not permanent, and the shopaholic must go out and shop more in order to find the next boost in hormones.

In a sense, when one is shopping, they are given a few moments of good mood. This is a momentary mental reward. So it encourages one to repeat the pattern in order to feel that “high” produced by shopping and purchasing.

However, the shopaholic frequently begins to search for more and more “highs,” which translates to greater expense. Once the shopper begins to damage his or her own life by spending, or the compulsive shopping interferes with relationships, then true addiction exists, particularly if the person can’t stop shopping.

The shopaholic frequently spends beyond his or her means. This means they may sacrifice money for food, rent, utilities, or simply be unable to pay rising credit card balances. Once a shopaholic spends beyond limits, the disease, like an addiction to drugs can worsen. The shopaholic may indulge in compulsive theft, or may steal money from others in order to continue shopping.

What began as joy at finding a few good bargains can end in financial ruin, and even criminal prosecution. However, there is help to end such compulsions, which are just as likely to occur in men and women. Needing shopping, just like needing any other activity or drug to regulate mood suggests that mood is already in chemical imbalance.

Just like any other addict, the shopaholic must want to quit. Very little can be accomplished until there is a sincere desire to end the behavior. For some this only occurs when they hit rock bottom. Hopefully, recognizing the signs early can help one curb the behavior in its infancy, so it does not become an addictive behavior that controls one’s life.

Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jul 12, 2009
mohawkchic:

~Before following the Rules,lets find out what type of "Shopaholic" You are!! cheesy

"The term shopaholic used to mean someone who liked to shop, maybe a little too much. Now being a shopaholic may mean that you are a compulsive shopper who spends beyond your limits, buys things you have no use for, and[b] uses shopping as a way to feel better temporarily.[/b]

Some believe that the compulsive shopper or shopaholic is actually suffering from an addiction. Addiction is defined as having a compulsion to a commit a behavior, being unable to stop a behavior, and continuing the behavior despite harmful consequences. Research now shows that addictive behavior often provides a momentary lift in mood. A flood of “good feeling” producing hormones rewards a shopaholic. Unfortunately the lift is not permanent, and the shopaholic must go out and shop more in order to find the next boost in hormones.

In a sense, when one is shopping, they are given a few moments of good mood. This is a momentary mental reward. So it encourages one to repeat the pattern in order to feel that “high” produced by shopping and purchasing.

However, the shopaholic frequently begins to search for more and more “highs,” which translates to greater expense. Once the shopper begins to damage his or her own life by spending, or the compulsive shopping interferes with relationships, then true addiction exists, particularly if the person can’t stop shopping.

The shopaholic frequently spends beyond his or her means. This means they may sacrifice money for food, rent, utilities, or simply be unable to pay rising credit card balances. Once a shopaholic spends beyond limits, the disease, like an addiction to drugs can worsen. The shopaholic may indulge in compulsive theft, or may steal money from others in order to continue shopping.

What began as joy at finding a few good bargains can end in financial ruin, and even criminal prosecution. However, there is help to end such compulsions, which are just as likely to occur in men and women. Needing shopping, just like needing any other activity or drug to regulate mood suggests that mood is already in chemical imbalance.

Just like any other addict, the shopaholic must want to quit. Very little can be accomplished until there is a sincere desire to end the behavior. For some this only occurs when they hit rock bottom. Hopefully, recognizing the signs early can help one curb the behavior in its infancy, so it does not become an addictive behavior that controls one’s life.

Nice points. cheesy

Nowadays I'm the kind that just buy for "oh this will look good on me" or "it looks cue,I should buy it.

I don't even check my account online anymore to see how much I spent. Worst off, I have friends who have the money to buy what they want without thinking of any consequence.
So most time you hear "Oh that'll look totally cute on you, you should buy it" or "Why not, you NEED those shorts, and that, and that will go with this" .

However, I'm in the early stage and I do need to stop before. . . . . undecided lipsrsealed

No2Atheism:

Always take a man along so that he can be blunt with you, grin
LOL. They're worst.
They'll tell you to "just buy it and let's leave". At that point,t hey don't care, they want to leave ASAP so they won't be seen in a female department.
Do you wanna be seen with groups of women shopping for undies, shorts, bra etc? grin
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by Hauwa1: 1:12am On Jul 13, 2009
shop at dollar store and payless shoe  grin  shocked

buy one take 2 free  grin

where is ogidiboy by the way. he is our teammate (broke azz student  grin)
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by Busta(f): 2:32am On Jul 13, 2009
1. Don't go with your creidt card(s) - Wish I could do that  embarassed

2. Don't go with a shopoholic friend - end up borrowing from them to pay back later

3. Go with cash so if it rund out, you're less likely to overspend - The more cash I have, the more I spend . . Bling, its all gone

4. Know what you came for. . . . - thats the point, intend to go window shopping and at the end, I buy it all

I need help!!
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by gloriuss(f): 2:39am On Jul 13, 2009
ERM, Find a gentleman that can financially supply ALL UR NEEDS (mind u, u'l still be a shopaholic but this time around ul be spending HIS money instead of URS!!!!). . . . . tongue grin cheesy

Just kidding!
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by Nobody: 2:43am On Jul 13, 2009
Busta:

1. Don't go with your creidt card(s) - Wish I could do that embarassed

2. Don't go with a shopoholic friend - end up borrowing from them to pay back later

3. Go with cash so if it rund out, you're less likely to overspend - The more cash I have, the more I spend . . Bling, its all gone

4. Know what you came for. . . . - thats the point, intend to go window shopping and at the end, I buy it all

I need help!!
rotflmao, same thing here.

*Hauwa*:

shop at dollar store and payless shoe grin shocked

buy one take 2 free grin

where is ogidiboy by the way. he is our teammate (broke azz student grin)
uhm, dollar store? Hauwa, ewww embarassed grin I don't even trust their stationary section, talkless of important things grin grin

Yes oh, I'm now a poor student grin
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by Nobody: 2:44am On Jul 13, 2009
gloriuss:

ERM, Find a gentleman that can financially supply ALL UR NEEDS (mind u, u'l still be a shopaholic but this time around ul be spending HIS money instead of URS!!!!). . . . . tongue grin cheesy

Just kidding!

That's what one of my friend said. " I gotta marry me a rich man if I want to keep spending like this".

I sha hope she too dey joke grin
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by Busta(f): 2:44am On Jul 13, 2009
gloriuss:

Just kidding!

lol . . . yup, my next plan exactly!
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by mohawkchic(f): 3:22am On Jul 13, 2009
~Oh Dear!! Who let loose the shopaholics?  cheesy No one told me there was an SA meeting?  cheesy

~ Ha ha!It is a nice thought having someone else feed your habit huh? but guess what!? Even when one Marries into Money  or get a "Man" to fullfill the urges of a Shopaholic. . One's likely to become a "Spendthrift". . & then Bob's Your Uncle you end up w/ a "High Maintainance" Tag!  grin *Sigh*
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by SeanT21(f): 5:36am On Jul 13, 2009
FL Gators:

rotflmao, same thing here.
uhm, dollar store? Hauwa, ewww embarassed grin I don't even trust their stationary section, talkless of important things grin grin

Yes oh, I'm now a poor student grin

R U kidding?? I love the Dollar Store or Dollar General.Their shampoo, stationery's, perms, chap stick, large bag of peanuts for a dollar,etc.Love the place ooo.

@Topic

I agree with those points. Recently, I went to ROSS to buy swimsuit only and I ended up buying handbags,sunglasses and more. Next time I will take your advice and not take my card with me.
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by bawomolo(m): 6:35am On Jul 13, 2009
creditors and the collection agency

hold up, how did i get into this section,
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by oyinda3(f): 7:03am On Jul 13, 2009
buhahaha funny ppl

@topic, what's the difference between spendaholic and shopaholic?
i for one spend wayyy to much money on food
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by Nobody: 2:41am On Jul 14, 2009
bawomolo:

creditors and the collection agency

hold up, how did i get into this section,
rotflmao. How indeed grin

SeanT21:

R U kidding?? I love the Dollar Store or Dollar General.Their shampoo, stationery's, perms, chap stick, large bag of peanuts for a dollar,etc.Love the place ooo.

ehrrrm Dollar storeto buy paper plates, napkins, and those disposable stuff yea. But stuff for keeps,no.
I don't even trust their home office items anymore!!!

mohawkchic:

~Oh Dear!! Who let loose the shopaholics? cheesy No one told me there was an SA meeting? cheesy

~ Ha ha!It is a nice thought having someone else feed your habit huh? but guess what!? Even when one Marries into Money or get a "Man" to fullfill the urges of a Shopaholic. . One's likely to become a "Spendthrift". . & then Bob's Your Uncle you end up w/ a [b]"High Maintainance" Tag! grin *Sigh*
[/b]

rotflmao. . . .true.
grin
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by watever(f): 3:48pm On Jul 15, 2009
only one solution that i've found truly works. . . avoid stores like the plague!

don't know wat to do about d online part though undecided
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by mohawkchic(f): 7:25pm On Jul 15, 2009
~"Avoiding the Stores" to me will be like not acknowledging i have a problem!
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by watever(f): 7:48pm On Jul 15, 2009
not really. its more like admitting it, and doing wat u can in d absence of better more permanent solutions
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by mohawkchic(f): 8:34pm On Jul 15, 2009
~Hmm. . .when you put it like that it makes sense i suppose but i wudnt necessarily use that method!Wudnt work for me,i wud feel like a part of me died! grin

~I curbed Some of my enthusiasm to shop/my spendthrift ways by going to stores w/ cash but determined i wudnt buy anything. . . .The demons i battled then. . I'd be the lady who spent the longest in store,the security guard or CCTV wud prolly be following me around by then thinking "Suspicious Behaviour" cheesy I'd grab something, queue up then leave the queue,put the stuff back. . .browse around other stores & if the temptation was really bad,i'll end up back in the store. . .have a convo w/ the item/myself "I'm Not Buying!" ~ "Oh what Harm Wud It Be" ~ "Argh" . . . .sometimes i succumbed to the temptation and b/c i use to have this thing where i never take back something i'd bought,i had stuff i'd bought for ages & not even worn once! However once i shrugged off the uncomfy feeling of taking stuff back,for the times i did succumb to the temptation,i'll take the item back if i thoght i didnt Really need it . . . .which wasnt a lot of times BTW grin

~It has taken me years to gain some sort of "Will Power" that doesnt seem to work on [b]"Shoes" [/b]especially! I suppose i shud say I Refuse to let it work when it comes to shoes but its something i welcome for giving up on all the other things i've had to let go of buying in moderation or sensibly if you like!

Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by watever(f): 8:42pm On Jul 15, 2009
lol, it really is harder with shoes grin

everytime i make a conscious effort to not buy stuff i end up getting loads of jewellries and accessories cos they "don't count"

and is it just me, but wen am broke i usually find something i just have to have
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by Hauwa1: 2:35am On Jul 16, 2009
a place to buy stuff if smo you dont like is coming to visit Dollar store grin
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by oyinda3(f): 7:52am On Jul 16, 2009
mohawkchic:

I'd grab something, queue up then leave the queue,put the stuff back. . .

lol i do this sometimes. u kno u pick up stuff cause u want it but then u later ask urself if u actually need it. usually i leave it with the cashier though. i just tell them i changed my mind. i'm sure they're also employed to rearrange stuff. no need leaving the queue to come back to meet a longer line. lol
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by shilling(f): 8:56am On Jul 16, 2009
When going to the mall, I usually go with money just enough for transport and maybe, some food, to avoid being tempted. The credit card thing also works like crazy for my mom and I.

oyinda.:

lol i do this sometimes. u kno u pick up stuff cause u want it but then u later ask urself if u actually need it. usually i leave it with the cashier though. i just tell them i changed my mind. i'm sure they're also employed to rearrange stuff. no need leaving the queue to come back to meet a longer line. lol

I do that too.
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by crackhead: 10:20am On Jul 16, 2009
Is there a cure? I was a shopaholic till i went bankrupt. cheesy
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by mukina2: 1:07pm On Jul 16, 2009
FL Gators:

1. Don't go with your creidt card(s)

2. Don't go with a shopoholic friend

3. Go with cash so if it rund out, you're less likely to overspend

4. Know what you came for. . . .

Add your cure tongue
Go with me, you will be cured grin cheesy
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by Nobody: 4:18am On Jul 17, 2009
mukina2:

Go with me, you will be cured grin cheesy
Ma dear, I wouldnt mind. As long as I don't overspend. cheesy

@MC
Same with the long queue. I get pisse off, drop the item. Walk around the mall and grab something else.
But it'd be hard to just drop and leave esp if you're in a group. Soe in the group might be willing to stay in the long line, then you might as well stay and spend too grin grin grin

I just notice that I have the worse group of friends when it comes to shopping embarassed
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by Nobody: 4:22am On Jul 17, 2009
watever:

lol, it really is harder with shoes grin

everytime i make a conscious effort to not buy stuff i end up getting loads of jewellries and accessories cos they "don't count"

and is it just me, but wen am broke i usually find something i just have to have

Ohh with shoes and handbags, don't even try me!! I'll kill you to buy them cheesy cheesy

And its becoming hard to resist VICTORIA'S SECRET now.
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by mohawkchic(f): 4:43am On Jul 17, 2009
~Lol,You're far off from a cure just yet FLG!
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by busygirl(f): 12:52pm On Jul 17, 2009
There is hardly anyday i go out without getting something, And it has already become a part of me. The worst thing is dat i don't even get to use half of wateva i buy. I really wanna stop this habit coz i'm not concentrating on building my savings account. I must agree with mohawk that shopping does make you feel alot better. I rily wanna learn to save money, hence i must stop cry cry cry
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by oyinda3(f): 9:45pm On Jul 17, 2009
busygirl:

The worst thing is dat i don't even get to use half of wateva i buy.

then what do u do with it?
i suggest you leave your wallet at home when you go out.
also, involve yourself in other activities that don't require spending. ex when you "go out" with your friends, go to the beach instead of the mall.
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by busygirl(f): 10:39pm On Jul 17, 2009
oyinda.:

then what do u do with it?
i suggest you leave your wallet at home when you go out.
also, involve yourself in other activities that don't require spending. ex when you "go out" with your friends, go to the beach instead of the mall.
Good question. I rarely use them. Some times it will just stay dere in my wardrobe until i get tired of seeing it, then i give it out!
I think my problem is buying what i want not what i need lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Cures For A Shopaholic? by oyinda3(f): 11:27pm On Jul 17, 2009
u give them out? why not keep the receipt and return it?
also, next time, go with a blunt friend (one that's not a shopaholic lol) and ask his/her opinion.
there's nothing wrong with buying what u want sometimes. just don't buy something u "think you want."
don't buy something unless you're sure about it and it is something you can picture yourself wearing among your friends (rather than just in the dressing room).

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yvonne Nelson On The Cover Of Complete Fashion Magazine / Quality PU Flat Shoes Size 38 To 42 Available / Latest Wedding Gowns - 50 Top Wedding Dress Styles And Trends For 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.