Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,817 members, 7,798,749 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:46 AM

A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) (20202 Views)

Rechargeable Mobile Phone Charger By Shalom Science & Tech Academy Enugu Student / Ugwuanyi Commissions Shalom Science And Technology Academy / Shalom Science And Technology Academy Nears Completion (pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by vickjoeobi(m): 5:11am On Feb 27, 2016
A Nairalander's Visit To The 1st Science And Technology College In Nigeria

I was on my usual research on the internet facebook to be precised when I discovered a school named Shalom Science and Technology Academy (SSTAC), acclaimed to be the first Science and Technology Academy in Nigeria. On further enquiry, it was discovered that the school is starting in September 2016 and situated at Enugu, and since I stay close to Enugu I decided to embark on this discovery journey.
The Journey was motivated by the following;

1. Is there a possibility of having a pure science and technology Academy in a country like ours after the good old days of Government Technical Colleges (GTC)?

2. If such school exist, what are the structures on ground to prove that they are equal to the task and what equipment if any differentiates them from the usual mainstream schools?

3. Due to the fact that I studied science and am yet to be gainfully employed, what plans is the so called First Science and Technology Academy making to gear these children towards self reliance?

4. Finally, do they have any plans for people that might not be able to afford the college but have what it takes apart from the financial aspect?
Having taken note of all these things, I contacted the school through their website www.sstac.sch.ng and notified them of my intention to visit the school on a personal accreditation and fact finding mission. The school approved my request and subsequently reverted back to me with an availability date.

On the set day, I was at Enugu by 9am and located the said school. The school structures were in the last phase of completion, the pictures and the prototypes are below;
I met with the International Brand Ambassador and board member by name Tochukwu, and he cleared some of my initial questions.

1. He took me round the laboratories and workshops that the students will be taught with. He explained to me that the first thing they intend to do, from the entrance examination is to identify the talent of the individual and then recommend science, computer or technology based club to the individual to encourage and further develop such natural gift . After classes which have lots of practical attached the student visits the laboratories or workshop for personal skill development under the careful watch of the workshop and laboratory supervisor. I was most amazed with the large space for the Lab and workshops especially the physics lab and Automobile/Mechanical workshop.

2. The school has a well-equipped ensuite accommodation to take care of the students. Has a two story block for female and another 2 story block for male accommodation.
Also the school has an ultra-modern ICT hub although it has not been equipped as they open in September 2016, they also have spacious laboratories and workshops. I was blown off when he showed me 2 rooms that he said are solely for research and development. I asked him Research kwa in secondary school? To which he said of cause, China has one of the largest manufacturing populace and industry because it grooms these experts from young.

3. He further explained that the main purpose of the school is to make the students self reliant before they finish their senior secondary school, he quickly drew my attention to those rooms he showed me as spaces for product research and development? That students should by their SS2 identify needs in the market, speak with their tutors and research and develop prototypes for the products. He told me that this idea of science, computer and technology colleges are not new in developed societies, that infact in the U.K. and U.S. such colleges are called U.T.C’s. He emphasized that the curriculum of the school is not only enquiry based using STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) methodologies, but also based on about 60% Practical and 40% theoretical. The implication of this is that even from JSS1 the students will start visiting and making use of the computer room, laboratories and workshops.
He also assured me that the students of the school will pay routine and agreed visits to industries that cover the Science, Computer and Technology sectors.

4. On the issue of people who could not afford the school by those who are probably developed science wise and does not have the capability to afford the school. He said that the school provides ranges of scholarship opportunities.
He also told me that this soon to start secondary school has a sister college called Shalom Academy Nsukka (SAN) that has even represented Nigeria in international Olympiad completions in India and Japan 2007 and 2008 respectively. He said that Shalom Schools believe in developing the youth, through qualitative education.
The only thing such students should do is to register for the entrance exam after which further follow ups would be done.
It was a very fulfilling trip and adventure as I got more than what I expected. Infact if we are beginning to have schools like this, then soon this society will be great again. However in the summary I believe that better soup, na good money make am.

Thanks.

PHOTOS:
1. The Main School Building
2. THe 3D ariel View
3. The Class room block/ Refectory View
4. The Refectory View

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by vickjoeobi(m): 5:13am On Feb 27, 2016
MORE PHOTOS:
5. Inside View of the hostel Structure
6. Back View of the Classroom Block
7. Inside View of the Refectory/ Dining Hall
8. Front View of the Hostel

THE SCHOOL IS THE FIRST PRIVATE SCIENCE, COMPUTER AND TECHNOLOGY SEC. SCH. IN NIGERIA

The Registration of the School is Currently on as the Entrance Exam is slated for 15th and 16th of April. Call: 09099256745
Visit the School Website for the Exam forms and Further details.
www.sstac.sch.ng
facebook.com/sstacsch
twitter: @sstacsch

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by vickjoeobi(m): 5:15am On Feb 27, 2016
MORE PHOTOS:
9. Staff Quarters/ Residential Building
10. After The tour

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by vickjoeobi(m): 5:21am On Feb 27, 2016
CC: Lalasticlala , Fynestboi, olawalebabs, Richiez ,
I think such acts need to be encouraged for Nairalanders to be going on a fact finding missions where the resources is available.

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by busuyem: 6:27am On Feb 27, 2016
Great adventure. At least this will bring on some jobless nigerians' tables.
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by vickjoeobi(m): 8:03am On Feb 27, 2016
busuyem:
Great adventure. At least this will bring on some jobless nigerians' tables.

you are right, I believe they will create hundreds of opportunities. I was happy I did go on the journey.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by McMayowa(m): 1:04pm On Feb 27, 2016
Nice one

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by Kangol99(m): 1:04pm On Feb 27, 2016
Welcome Nairalander!
How was your journey?

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by thamoswonder: 1:04pm On Feb 27, 2016
Cool labs but not standard to me sha
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by dguizman(m): 1:05pm On Feb 27, 2016
Nice structures
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by ThePeacemaker(m): 1:05pm On Feb 27, 2016
YAWNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

EDUCATION IS A SCAM IN NIGERIA

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by money121(m): 1:05pm On Feb 27, 2016
Seen
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by dovie002(m): 1:06pm On Feb 27, 2016
Ok
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by seunlayi(m): 1:07pm On Feb 27, 2016
When are we going to start having the "Unlike" option on Nairaland? This forum really need it.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by Kangol99(m): 1:07pm On Feb 27, 2016
ok
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by massinola(m): 1:07pm On Feb 27, 2016
that's my alma Mata. what he told you is nothing far from the truth. Shalom academy is a place to be and gain standard education. I was there 2008 ..we can never be the last, kpatakpata na draw, but in all we always lead. try and visit the prototype in nsukka and see for yourself. that's Toochukwu in between,the young Don Di

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by Marshallian(m): 1:07pm On Feb 27, 2016
Well... What do you know its indeed nice....
but seriously... which of the three is d Nairalander.... or is it Nairalanders
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by DankemzI(m): 1:08pm On Feb 27, 2016
Beautiful
Teachers should be HND holders to impact practical experience and knowledge on those upcoming technologists tongue

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by seunlayi(m): 1:10pm On Feb 27, 2016
in the absente of hot topics, the mods has decided to move this to FP grin grin

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by Nobody: 1:12pm On Feb 27, 2016
... WILL THOSE STRUCTURES REDUCE OUR HIGH LEVEL OF UNEMPLOYMENT OR WILL IT STOP BUHARI 4RM GALLIVANTING AROUND D WORLD?
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by Alexander001(m): 1:13pm On Feb 27, 2016
1st science and technology school? funny
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by bolt000(m): 1:13pm On Feb 27, 2016
You and who go read all this thing? :-/
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by anochuko01(m): 1:13pm On Feb 27, 2016
honestly, I was hoping to be the first person to do this
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by bebe2(f): 1:14pm On Feb 27, 2016
Very impressive,
I hope it's a private institution becos if it govt owned cry

I give it 5yrs max and u won't recognise that place any more

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by vickjoeobi(m): 1:15pm On Feb 27, 2016
Marshallian:
Well... What do you know
its indeed nice....

but seriously... which of the three is d Nairalander.... or is it Nairalanders

The one on strip Black came for the confirmation. The Middle Man is Tochukwu the Guy that gave me the Tour.
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by Brunel(m): 1:16pm On Feb 27, 2016
Great work of SAN.
Proud to be a SANOSA-ite
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by Nobody: 1:16pm On Feb 27, 2016
vickjoeobi:
MORE PHOTOS: 5. Inside View of the hostel Structure 6. Back View of the Classroom Block 7. Inside View of the Refectory/ Dining Hall 8. Front View of the Hostel
you are showing us incomplete building!
did you think the govt will ever finish that project?
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by amunkita(m): 1:16pm On Feb 27, 2016
Great..

But e no go tey the students will start molding locally made guns like that technical skool close to IMT enugu..

Obodo Ebeano..
Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by vickjoeobi(m): 1:16pm On Feb 27, 2016
Alexander001:
1st science and technology school? funny

It is the First School that studies only pure science and Technology from JSS1 - SS3. Please tell me another school that does that lemme go and confirm with their facilities.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Visit To Shalom Science and Technology Academy (PICS) by iebanehita(m): 1:23pm On Feb 27, 2016
seunlayi:
When are we going to start having the "Unlike" option on Nairaland? This forum really need it.

Yea. I agree with you.
this comment of yours needs a huge dose of unlike.

Nice adventure@Op

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 8 Most Wanted Medical Courses With Employment Opportunities / Which Of The Characters Below Describe You Back Then In Secondary School? / What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.