Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,698 members, 7,802,061 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:34 AM

Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? (4705 Views)

Lady Dumps BF After Discovering His Porsche Cayenne Is Actually China-made / Benz Vs BMW – Which Is Actually Better? / Which Will You Pick If You Are To Stick To 1 Car Brand For The Rest Of Your Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? by luvluvluv: 10:38am On Feb 27, 2016
Hello guys...
I don't rili hav much experience in autos. But often times I hear the above coments.
Pls let's shed some light in this and explain thr pros nd cons... in all, wch is actually the best of specs?
Re: Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? by nedu2000(m): 10:45am On Feb 27, 2016
In terms of their manufacturers?
Ford....US,Bmw-germany,rolls royces....british kind of stuff?
Re: Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? by DGD1(m): 12:00pm On Feb 27, 2016
it is usually used for cars who have different plant assembly. Eg toyota, Honda etc
A corrola / camry/ accord produced in japan has little difference with the one produced in the US and Europe

1 Like

Re: Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? by luvluvluv: 6:41pm On Feb 27, 2016
Hmm? Learning...
So how come people place lots of emphasis on American specs expecially wen it's for sale
Re: Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? by Nobody: 8:37pm On Feb 27, 2016
luvluvluv:
Hmm? Learning...
So how come people place lots of emphasis on American specs expecially wen it's for sale

America has very similar climatic conditions like Nigeria. So such cars can easily operate without issues or slight modifications...
Re: Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? by DGD1(m): 10:45pm On Feb 27, 2016
adeniyisavage:

America has very similar climatic conditions like Nigeria. So such cars can easily operate without issues or slight modifications...

I beg to differ
Re: Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? by Originalsly: 11:00pm On Feb 27, 2016
I think these countries have certain requirements/specifications/standards cars must have before they are allowed in the country. Two main areas are safety and emissions.... e.g a Hyundai Whatever made for the US market....among other safety requirements .... must have dual air bags, side curtain airbags and can safely withstand a front collision at let's say 60Kph while the same type Hyundai marketed to Asia/South America/Africa a would be crushed at the same speed. Same with Toyota or any other brand.

3 Likes

Re: Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? by oluwaseunla(m): 11:18pm On Feb 27, 2016
Between European specs and American specs, there is technically none that is 'better'. It's all down to individual choices.

On a general note, European cars tend to be more luxury oriented than their American counterparts, while American cars generally tend to be performance oriented. So it depends on what you want.

Personally, I'll take luxury over performance (that's just me though).

4 Likes

Re: Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? by kingreign(m): 11:28pm On Feb 27, 2016
oluwaseunla:
Between European specs and American specs, there is technically none that is 'better'. It's all down to individual choices.

On a general note, European cars tend to be more luxury oriented than their American counterparts, while American cars generally tend to be performance oriented. So it depends on what you want.

Personally, I'll take luxury over performance (that's just me though).
Hmmm. Tell me something.
Re: Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? by luvluvluv: 2:01pm On Feb 28, 2016
What I can deduce from the coments so far is dat it depends on a user's demand. Luxury, reliability etc....
Av seen 2 camry 2001 models. One of American spec while 5 other, british. I kinda like the American cos it looks lower and kinda stylish. I would like to think the American spec has more stability expecially on high speed.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? by kingreign(m): 2:33pm On Feb 28, 2016
luvluvluv:
What I can deduce from the coments so far is dat it depends on a user's demand. Luxury, reliability etc....
Av seen 2 camry 2001 models. One of American spec while 5 other, british. I kinda like the American cos it looks lower and kinda stylish. I would like to think the American spec has more stability expecially on high speed.

Theres bo such thing as British camry. Camry is N american, Middle east and Australian thing.
Re: Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? by luvluvluv: 4:02pm On Feb 28, 2016
kingreign:

Theres bo such thing as British camry. Camry is N american, Middle east and Australian thing.

Oh I c

1 Like

Re: Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? by sultaan(m): 6:34pm On Feb 28, 2016
kingreign:

There is a difference

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/honda/accord/saloon-2003/

body used as Acura TSX in US

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/ford/fusion/estate/

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/fusion/2012/

A 5-series in Europe might have 4 cylinder 523 as base US might be 525 I6
There might either be difference in standard equipment
Re: Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? by luvluvluv: 9:35pm On Feb 28, 2016
Hehe...all thiz analysis. Pls tell us Hw it affects/contributes to performance
Re: Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? by redcliff: 12:06am On Feb 29, 2016
kingreign:

True. Its super difficult to see one in europe
Re: Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? by sultaan(m): 4:53am On Feb 29, 2016
luvluvluv:
Hehe...all thiz analysis. Pls tell us Hw it affects/contributes to performance

Basically American specs have bigger and more powerful engines for highway driving more base options like standard A/C, hd radio, 6 airbags, cd player, and safer when it comes to accidents.
Re: Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? by luvluvluv: 8:37pm On Feb 29, 2016
Sultan tnx a lot for that explanation...
Re: Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? by honmusa(m): 5:43pm On Mar 01, 2016
the major difference between American spec cars and others is the presence of bigger and more effective emission controls system cos most US States especially California and other EPA controlled states has a very strict emission law relatively to others and their major aim is to achieve Zero emission level vehicle .
In US spec cars u will find a more responsive powertrain system, bigger evap/ charcoal canister,more robust catalytic converter ,wide band O2S etc .
Other country spec cars has to have their emission system reconditioned so as to be compliant with ''CARB'' states strict emission law before they can be driven on US soil.
https://forcechange.com/1133/california-to-implement-strictest-emissions-standards-in-us/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_emission_standards
Re: Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? by PehaKaso: 6:56pm On Mar 20, 2016
kingreign:
Hmmm. Tell me something.

Pls pardon my ignorance. My question goes thus; Can Canadian cars be called US specs?
Re: Which Is Actually Better Btwn American Spec, British And The Rest? by proffeess: 3:24pm On Jan 17, 2020
Look in Car Check

(1) (Reply)

Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? / Cars I Saw On The Road Today / Honda Crv

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.