Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:04 AM

Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers (1629 Views)

Fashola Got Tongue Lashed For Saying*lagos Won't Vote For GEJ* / Why We Barred Females From Wearing Trousers In Offices – Plateau Govt / Dress Code In Benue; Ladies Banned From Wearing Trousers! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by WildOne(f): 7:56am On Jul 14, 2009
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by MrCrackles(m): 8:31am On Jul 14, 2009
Some stupid shit right there. . . . Why lash women who wear trousers?
Trousers are made for human beings with legs so why exempt ladies/women?
Stupid move! angry
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by kokoA(m): 8:50am On Jul 14, 2009
This is why Africa will never develope
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by back2back(f): 9:40am On Jul 14, 2009
MrCrackles:

Some stupid shit right there. . . . Why lash women who wear trousers?
Trousers are made for human beings with legs so why exempt ladies/women?
Stupid move! angry

who are we to judge other people's law?

when you are in Rome, do like Romans!

This is how they came to us and tell us we worship idols.

Same Idols are in their Museum bringing money.

And they ended-up destroying our talented 'wood carvers'
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by kokoA(m): 9:43am On Jul 14, 2009
back2back:

who told you it is part of their law?
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by Tudor6(f): 10:03am On Jul 14, 2009
It's some usless sharia bullshit.
What a bunch of moronic fools those islamic fundamentalist are!
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by MrCrackles(m): 10:41am On Jul 14, 2009
back2back:

Regardless of some stupid laws, it is unfair and inhumane! angry
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by back2back(f): 11:01am On Jul 14, 2009
MrCrackles:

Regardless of some stupid laws, it is unfair and inhumane! angry

So they told AFRICAN that we are evil, woship idols.

alas, same idols we worship ended-up in their museums.

There is no law that is stupid, so long the people in that place believe in it.
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by FBS: 11:07am On Jul 14, 2009
but I have seen some muslim women wearing trousers to school and "mosque".
What is going on in this world?
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by FBS: 11:11am On Jul 14, 2009
back2back:

So they told AFRICAN that we are evil, woship idols.

alas, same idols we worship ended-up in their museums.

There is no law that is stupid, so long the people in that place believe in it.

True but you are still at liberty to worship at the place of your choice.
Why lash and beat women because they wore trousers?
Some laws are damn right stupid if it take away your freedom. You can't tell me that wearing trousers is a crime of any form. If they believed in it, why did they wear it then?
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by Olaolufred(m): 11:32am On Jul 14, 2009
I remember an Alhaja. A student in my alma matter. Who covers and use veil.
Miraculously became pregnant under her veil to another student outside marriage.
I think this is more of deceit.
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by Nobody: 11:32am On Jul 14, 2009
What I don't quite understand is why people are suprised  
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by Nobody: 11:36am On Jul 14, 2009
Which brand of sharia law is that? I thought women wear trousers in Saudi, Pakistan and Iran?

What is wrong with black men?
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by Nobody: 11:38am On Jul 14, 2009
while i agree it is inhumane to mete such punishment to anyone for whatever reason i also believe the residents and citizens of the country ought to be aware of the laws of the land and act by it.

I'm not conversant with the laws of Sudan but if it is against the law to wear trousers then they shouldn't wear trousers
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by generalzango(m): 11:47am On Jul 14, 2009
@Mr. Poster,check Deuteronomy 22:5 & see where God prohibited it.
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by MrCrackles(m): 11:49am On Jul 14, 2009
nuzo:

Which brand of sharia law is that? I thought women wear trousers in Saudi, Pakistan and Iran?

What is wrong with black men?

I dont understand. . . . .Some people take things to the extreme
Regardless of religion, extremists make it difficult for tolerance to work amongst religious and non-religious people!
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by muhsin(m): 12:05pm On Jul 14, 2009
MrCrackles:

I dont understand. . . . .Some people take things to the extreme
Regardless of religion, extremists make it difficult for tolerance to work amongst religious and non-religious people!

Well said; extremism is what lead to all these probs.
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by WildOne(f): 12:17pm On Jul 14, 2009
@ generalzango
How old are you, really? Read down to verse 9 where "God" also prohibited mixed cropping; and verse 11 where you are forbidden to wear clothing made of wool & linen. Verse 12 commands that you put tassels on the 4 corners of your robe. So, go figure.
Besides, since when did the bible become a code of conduct manual for civil society?
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by jimmysho(m): 12:29pm On Jul 14, 2009
kokoA:

This is why Africa will never develope

what has lashing woman got to do with development in africa. abeg cut the crap!
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jul 14, 2009
jimmysho:

what has lashing woman got to do with development in africa. abeg cut the crap!

Are you serious? angry
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by muhsin(m): 12:34pm On Jul 14, 2009
nuzo:

Are you serious? angry

I think he is.
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by GEW: 12:35pm On Jul 14, 2009
muhsin:

Well said; extremism is what lead to all these probs.
extremists like you and your henshmen.
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jul 14, 2009
muhsin:

I think he is.

Would that be your view too?
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by muhsin(m): 12:46pm On Jul 14, 2009
GEW:

extremists like you and your henshmen.

How do I become an extremist? LOL grin

nuzo:

Would that be your view too?

Yap. It has nothing to do with African development. If it has can you a bit more elaborate? Thanks
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jul 14, 2009
muhsin:

Yap. It has nothing to do with African development. If it has can you a bit more elaborate? Thanks

Sorry oo, am not used to engaging nigerian religious fanatics in any form of debate. Even when the truth is glaring, nothing usually comes out of it.

Do have a good day sir.
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by buffead(f): 7:28pm On Jul 14, 2009
lol dis till dey happen for this century i no suprise sha
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by Fhemmmy: 7:33pm On Jul 14, 2009
Another talibanistic idea
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by naijaking1: 7:39pm On Jul 14, 2009
Lashing women for wearing trousers grin
When will Africans stop pretending
If you just want touch woman nyas, just touch am. Tell am say you've always wanted to do that, she might even like it too undecided
When you begin to pretend like say God told you to do it under sharia law, sharia law that; you really begin to look childish and stupid.
Who never see women on trouser in Iran, Iraq, and other muslim nations, why blend extremism with pretence.
Only in Africa cool
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by sosisi(f): 7:47pm On Jul 14, 2009
Sudan women 'lashed for trousers'

Several Sudanese women have been flogged as a punishment for dressing "indecently", according to a local journalist who was arrested with them.

Lubna Ahmed al-Hussein, who says she is facing 40 lashes, said she and 12 other women wearing trousers were arrested in a restaurant in the capital, Khartoum.

She told the BBC several of the women had pleaded guilty to the charges and had 10 lashes immediately.

Khartoum, unlike South Sudan, is governed by Sharia law.

Several of those punished were from the mainly Christian and animist south, Ms Hussein said.

Non-Muslims are not supposed to be subject to Islamic law, even in Khartoum and other parts of the mainly Muslim north.

She said that a group of about 20 or 30 police officers entered the popular Khartoum restaurant and arrested all the women wearing trousers.

"I was wearing trousers and a blouse and the 10 girls who were lashed were wearing like me, there was no difference," she told the BBC's Arabic service.

Ms Hussein said some women pleaded guilty to "get it over with" but others, including herself, chose to speak to their lawyers and are awaiting their fates.

Under Sharia law in Khartoum, the normal punishment for "indecent" dressing is 40 lashes.

Ms Hussein is a well-known reporter who writes a weekly column called Men Talk for Sudanese papers. She also works for the United Nations Mission in Sudan.
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by sosisi(f): 7:48pm On Jul 14, 2009
The laws of allah at it again
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by Fhemmmy: 7:49pm On Jul 14, 2009
naijaking1:

Lashing women for wearing trousers grin
When will Africans stop pretending
If you just want touch woman nyas, just touch am. Tell am say you've always wanted to do that, she might even like it too undecided
When you begin to pretend like say God told you to do it under sharia law, sharia law that; you really begin to look childish and stupid.
Who never see women on trouser in Iran, Iraq, and other muslim nations, why blend extremism with pretence.
Only in Africa cool

Nice one
Re: Sudan Women Lashed For Wearing Trousers by RichyBlacK(m): 7:57pm On Jul 14, 2009

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ndlea Arrests Four Igbo Drug Suspects At Lagos Airport / Establish A National Guard Service - Employ 36,500 Yearly / British Election : Who Is Nigerian's Choice?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.