Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,903 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:48 AM

What I Saw In An Airline Today. - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What I Saw In An Airline Today. (57113 Views)

Otedola Bridge, Lagos Tanker Explosion: 'Pictures Cannot Explain What I Saw' / What's The Seats Layout In An Airline? / A Policeman Hanging On A Danfo Bus! What I Saw On A Lagos Expressway Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by thegreengooner(m): 10:43pm On Feb 28, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

And will the passenger feed on their laps.

Nigerians

If you read my comment you would see that I said that 'an in-seat tray' will be used.

It's obvious that most of you commenting rarely fly or have probably never even flown before...OBAGADAFFI I suggest you learn more about airplane seats before you come here to spew rubbish.

1 Like

Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by sundoj08(m): 10:49pm On Feb 28, 2016
BeClever:

It's probably because the the tray may disturb movements close to the emergency door..

Just that the sign didn't look nice...

Please let us not take this thread serious as it just the paper that made it look like that..

Arik is a great airline and I have used it countless times.

I LOVE ARIK AIR !! !!!!!!!!

Pls don't ever say Arik is a great airline again. Worst Airline ever mtcheww angry

4 Likes

Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by OBAGADAFFI: 11:06pm On Feb 28, 2016
thegreengooner:

If you read my comment you would see that I said that 'an in-seat tray' will be used.

It's obvious that most of you commenting rarely fly or have probably never even flown before...OBAGADAFFI I suggest you learn more about airplane seats before you come here to spew rubbish.

You should have added I don't know the route to MMA 2. Ode.

So because we are critical of you airline's safty handlings, it means have never flown before.

It's neither you nor your airline's fault, in better country that plane will be spending time in the hangar until the issues are resolved.

Only on NL you meet people making senseless comments.

2 Likes

Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by talktimi(m): 11:17pm On Feb 28, 2016
banmee:

[s]And that mentality is the reason you and so many Nigerians are living in bondage. The things you should question you let slide. Soon, after a while, you'll start to ask how and when did things get so bad. Suffer no good i swear. It destroys the way people think[/s].
you're definitely the one living in bondage and not me. This is a matter of simple logic, how can paper and tape compromise safety ? And if you don't like the look of the warning which the airline gave you, kindly get down instead of yapping all over the internet. I've personally canceled a trip from ph to Lagos just because I didn't like the look of rust marks on the engine of the plane I was supposed to fly in
Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by banmee(m): 11:26pm On Feb 28, 2016
talktimi:
you're definitely the one living in bondage and not me. This is a matter of simple logic, how can paper and tape compromise safety ? And if you don't like the look of the warning which the airline gave you, kindly get down instead of yapping all over the internet. I've personally canceled a trip from ph to Lagos just because I didn't like the look of rust marks on the engine of the plane I was supposed to fly in

And this is why i say your mentality is a problem. You are looking at a picture of an air craft using tape to hold a compartment up. The question you should be asking is if they can cut corners there, where else could they be cutting corners? This is why it was ok for Nigerians to board an aircraft with a ladder. They did it because they had a mentality like yours. I have flown in and out of multiple countries and in all my travels i have never seen the deplorable standards that exist in Nigeria. The standards In Nigeria exist because of people like you who see nothing wrong it.

3 Likes

Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by rahman3853(m): 11:26pm On Feb 28, 2016
olumide4christ:

Bros, if you fly regularly, you will surely know, just like many commentators here, that this is Arik Air. In addition, Dana & Aero don't have aircraft that have inflight entertainment system which you see at the back of the seat, because their (Dana & Aero) aircraft are older, compared to Arik's which are a bit newer & more modern. I have flown on them all including First Nation, Medview & Discovery Air, so I know as so many others do.
well I dnt fly any other but Arik (locally) n to be honest I never saw that warning at that seat in any of their flights. I only guess those airline for I know their crafts are ancient unlike Arik.
Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by opribo(m): 11:31pm On Feb 28, 2016
BeClever:

It's probably because the the tray may disturb movements close to the emergency door..

Please let us not take this thread serious as it just the paper that made it look like that..

Hold it right there, airlines are known for precision no room for trial and error. If a tray isn't meant to be there then that seat ought not to be there. This can only happen here in Naija. where we change everything the original manufacturer has put in place.Of course if the tray is there then you can sure one Naija man must try it sign or no sign.

2 Likes

Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by rahman3853(m): 11:38pm On Feb 28, 2016
banmee:

And this is why i say your mentality is a problem. You are looking at a picture of an air craft using tape to hold a compartment up. The question you should be asking is if they can cut corners there, where else could they be cutting corners? This is why it was ok for Nigerians to board an aircraft with a ladder. They did it because they had a mentality like yours. I have flown in and out of multiple countries and in all my travels i have never seen the deplorable standards that exist in Nigeria. The standards In Nigeria exist because of people like you who see nothing wrong it.
I concur with u my brother, the way they fly somethings can keep u on the edge of ur seat. Like say na cargo be the humans wey dey inside. U go just notice say weather dey ok, yet the captain dey tilt at amost 45degree, weytin him dey dodge I no know? Yet Nigerians go say its normal. There ways a day I was even thinking we go crash for the way the captain take decend. He has started descending before the sill guy announce say make we tight seat belt. Abeg wat if I dey toilet nko. I no go wast my yansh before I come back seat be that o.

2 Likes

Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by banmee(m): 11:47pm On Feb 28, 2016
rahman3853:
I concur with u my brother, the way they fly somethings can keep u on the edge of ur seat. Like say na cargo be the humans wey dey inside. U go just notice say weather dey ok, yet the captain dey tilt at amost 45degree, weytin him dey dodge I no know? Yet Nigerians go say its normal. There ways a day I was even thinking we go crash for the way the captain take decend. He has started descending before the sill guy announce say make we tight seat belt. Abeg wat if I dey toilet nko. I no go wast my yansh before I come back seat be that o.

As much as i wanted to take your post serious, i couldn't help but laugh my head off. grin

1 Like

Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by Nobody: 11:54pm On Feb 28, 2016
BeClever:

yeah, I bet you also have stocks and shares in the nasty airline...how can you even try to excuse this sort of mediocrity

1 Like

Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by rahman3853(m): 11:58pm On Feb 28, 2016
banmee:

As much as i wanted to take your post serious, i couldn't help but laugh my head off. grin
abi nw....na tru now.

1 Like

Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by talktimi(m): 12:12am On Feb 29, 2016
banmee:

[s]And this is why i say your mentality is a problem. You are looking at a picture of an air craft using tape to hold a compartment up. The question you should be asking is if they can cut corners there, where else could they be cutting corners? This is why it was ok for Nigerians to board an aircraft with a ladder. They did it because they had a mentality like yours. I have flown in and out of multiple countries and in all my travels i have never seen the deplorable standards that exist in Nigeria. The standards In Nigeria exist because of people like you who see nothing wrong it[/s].
you still don't get it abi ? SIMPLE ENGLISH, LEAVE THE CRAFT OF YOU'RE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH WHAT YOU SAW AND STOP WHINING.
Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by banmee(m): 12:26am On Feb 29, 2016
talktimi:
you still don't get it abi ? SIMPLE ENGLISH, LEAVE THE CRAFT OF YOU'RE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH WHAT YOU SAW AND STOP WHINING.

True Nigerian. I doff my hat for you. With people like you around, Nigeria definitely has a future. A bright one at that. grin

3 Likes

Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by jstriker442(m): 12:52am On Feb 29, 2016
holamiday:
Those trays are obviously faulty. For those saying it's because of the emergency door undecidednonsense.
Didn't the manufacturer consider that before designing it that way. Abi una think say na Innoson make the plane? undecided
ara di na udi n' udi.
Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by Raymee(m): 1:17am On Feb 29, 2016
emorse:

You be Sherlock Holmes ni?
No be only...
Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by Raymee(m): 1:23am On Feb 29, 2016
pouch:
It's not Airik. I saw it on Airpeace last week
airpeace that are new?
Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by Gkemz: 1:40am On Feb 29, 2016
You probably must've boarded an economy class.
Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by ttmacoy: 2:52am On Feb 29, 2016
Please tell me you are joking...

BeClever:

1 Like

Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by ttmacoy: 2:53am On Feb 29, 2016
And how do other airlines operate without taping the trays located on exit seats?

That is a ridiculous excuse I'm sorry. I've never seen any airline prevent you from using the tray because it is an emergency exit seat.

Owoloku1:
OP it's because of the emergency exits located behind the seats

If those trays are in use and there's an emergency they could impede movement

2 Likes

Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by ttmacoy: 2:54am On Feb 29, 2016
And how do other airlines operate without taping do not use on trays located on exit seats?

That is a ridiculous excuse I'm sorry. I've never seen any airline prevent you from using the tray because it is an emergency exit seat.

Owoloku1:
OP it's because of the emergency exits located behind the seats

If those trays are in use and there's an emergency they could impede movement

1 Like

Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by ttmacoy: 2:57am On Feb 29, 2016
That is not true. I have flown with many airlines and I have NEVER seen where emergency seat trays are sealed. If that was the case airplane manufacturers would not bother to put trays there if they will end up being sealed.

The only restrictions to seating in an emergency exit seat is you cannot put your bags under the seat in front of you and you are expected to be ready to help evacate the plane in an emergency that's why they stress that people seating in the exit row read the safety guidelines.

ProAnti:
Trays on seats close to the emergency exit are usually sealed to prevent obstructions in emergency situations. The seal quality is poor though.

3 Likes

Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by ttmacoy: 3:11am On Feb 29, 2016
Use of an in seat tray has nothing to do with it being an exit seat. In seat trays are used in bigger planes where the gap between the seats on the exit row is wide or the seats at the beginning of a section eg the economy section where the gap between the seat and the panel in front is a wide gap which makes using a tray in front impossible.

It has nothing to do with an exit seat or safety.

Also you say there is nothing wrong with it. It shows the airline doesn't care about is image. They know Nigerians have no choice and will take it. We talk about the need to start exporting products and services to diversify from oil, well we must be ready to up our standards to compete shouldn't we?

How will accepting such poor services help us be competitive against other international airlines?

thegreengooner:
This is Arik...I've flown on this aircraft before.

Whilst it is tacky, there is nothing wrong with putting a sign there...best thing to have done however would have been to remove the tray from behind the seat.

For most exit row seats, an in-seat tray is used and not the one at the back of the seat in front of you.

1 Like

Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by ttmacoy: 3:46am On Feb 29, 2016
Really? No they do not, please stop making excuses for the airline.

HEIR:
These are old Boeing aircrafts, newer models have the trays fitted inside the arm rest for seats close to the emergency exits. It possess a serious safety hazard during emergency. Airlines abroad using such old planes also seal theirs too, albeit with better astestic appeal. Please don't be too hard on them.

1 Like

Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by MadCow1: 4:20am On Feb 29, 2016
amunkita:
Impede which emergency door

Re u all saying that u lot nd the flight attendant re wiser than the makers of the plane to ve installed a tray there..

Abii the flight attendant they expect the plane to crash anytime

The thing don spoil be say e don spoil, this is 9ja mates...

grin grin grin

I don nearly made for here..

See the opata wey people dey yarn.

Anybody wey don enter plane well sabi say the trays get hook wey dey lock am for up and if you look the photo well, hook no dey those trays. grin

Plane dey spoil dey go people say Na safety. grin

Na Arik plane first get emergency exit?

Okay, so people wey Sidon there, where dem go put their cup and things? grin

Instead wey people go start to shout make FAAN do their work and ground that plane for non conformance, people dey here dey talk nonsense until the day wey that tray matter go cost person ehn life in an emergency situation.

Arrant nonsense. angry

3 Likes

Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by MadCow1: 4:22am On Feb 29, 2016
ttmacoy:
And how do other airlines operate without taping the trays located on exit seats?

There is no hook/ latch to hold the trays up.

The latch is broken. It's even clear from the picture.
Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by Owoloku1: 6:48am On Feb 29, 2016
ttmacoy:
And how do other airlines operate without taping do not use on trays located on exit seats?

No airline allows you to use the tray behind those seats for emergency reasons..
They rather have a smaller and portable tray that is inserted in the arm-rest of your seat..that you can use and fold back in..thanks
Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by amunkita(m): 7:57am On Feb 29, 2016
MadCow1:

grin grin grin

I don nearly made for here..

See the opata wey people dey yarn.

Anybody wey don enter plane well sabi say the trays get hook wey dey lock am for up and if you look the photo well, hook no dey those trays. grin

Plane dey spoil dey go people say Na safety. grin

Na Arik plane first get emergency exit?

Okay, so people wey Sidon there, where dem go put their cup and things? grin

Instead wey people go start to shout make FAAN do their work and ground that plane for non conformance, people dey here dey talk nonsense until the day wey that tray matter go cost person ehn life in an emergency situation.

Arrant nonsense. angry

U dey mind all those people wey they enta plane 4 dream..

1 Like

Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by Nobody: 8:49am On Feb 29, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

Don't you notice one of the trays is falling off?

It untidy and not safe.

You are right. I missed that
Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by thegreengooner(m): 8:51am On Feb 29, 2016
ttmacoy:
Use of an in seat tray has nothing to do with it being an exit seat. In seat trays are used in bigger planes where the gap between the seats on the exit row is wide or the seats at the beginning of a section eg the economy section where the gap between the seat and the panel in front is a wide gap which makes using a tray in front impossible.

It has nothing to do with an exit seat or safety.

Also you say there is nothing wrong with it. It shows the airline doesn't care about is image. They know Nigerians have no choice and will take it. We talk about the need to start exporting products and services to diversify from oil, well we must be ready to up our standards to compete shouldn't we?

How will accepting such poor services help us be competitive against other international airlines?

I agree with you that the airline doesn't care about it's image...I think you may have got my point wrong. I don't consider the taped tray a serious safety issue. That's my personal opinion though. Note that I said 'serious safety issue' and not 'safety issue'.

I disagree with you on choice. If I am given a seat I don't like, I will ask to be relocated. If the airline is unable to relocate me I will get off the plane.

This is why I elect to do my research on the aircraft before the flight and pick my seat before check in to avoid inconveniences.
Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by thegreengooner(m): 8:53am On Feb 29, 2016
Owoloku1:

No airline allows you to use the tray behind those seats for emergency reasons..
They rather have a smaller and portable tray that is inserted in the arm-rest of your seat..that you can use and fold back in..thanks

I think most people are ignoring this point you are making. I've sat in the exit row of flights so many times. On no occasion did I make use of the tray behind the seat. It was always the in-seat tray that was used. Same also goes for the inflight entertainment system.
Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by ttmacoy: 9:19am On Feb 29, 2016
Unless that is particular to Nigerian airlines, I have NEVER been on an airline that does not allow you use trays for emergency reasons.

The use of the inserted in the arm seat tray is due to the fact exit seats tend to have wider leg room which means having the tray in front will be too far forward to eat on. It's not because of safety or emergency.

Think of it, isn't easier and quicker to put up a tray in front compared to the in the arm one?

Not all planes have in arm trays on exit row seats because not all planes have wide enough legroom there to require one. The driver for having an in arm tray is the width of the legroom ie how far in front will the tray be and not safety.

It is actually quicker to put up and latch an in front tray than an in arm one.

Owoloku1:

Re: What I Saw In An Airline Today. by Ugosample(m): 9:24am On Feb 29, 2016
BeClever:

Bros just tune it down.. .we can't rubbish them now Pls..
We need the save the naira by all means necessary...
They should sit up. Aril Air.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

African Woman Carries Her Luggage On The Head At The Airport In USA (Photo) / Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos) / What I Learnt After Visiting The Brazilian Presidential Palace(photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.