Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,903 members, 7,802,930 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:52 AM

Quotes Of Buddha That Will Change The Way You Look At Life! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Quotes Of Buddha That Will Change The Way You Look At Life! (1464 Views)

How Christians Look At Nude Photos And Videos Of Exposed Ladies / 13 Scriptures That Will Change Ladies From Entering Hell... By Watchman Peter / 10 Quotes Of Pastor Adeboye That Trended On Social Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quotes Of Buddha That Will Change The Way You Look At Life! by ojmaroni247(m): 2:23am On Feb 29, 2016
This is for everyone no matter the religion, for the record I am a Christian, but stumbled on this and found it interesting to share. If applied properly, it can help you become a better person and surf the waves of life easily. It's great to know what every religion has to say and nt condemn them from the outside, as most pple are into their religion by birth and not by choice.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Quotes Of Buddha That Will Change The Way You Look At Life! by ojmaroni247(m): 2:24am On Feb 29, 2016
More

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Quotes Of Buddha That Will Change The Way You Look At Life! by ojmaroni247(m): 2:26am On Feb 29, 2016
More b

2 Likes

Re: Quotes Of Buddha That Will Change The Way You Look At Life! by ojmaroni247(m): 2:27am On Feb 29, 2016
cool

Re: Quotes Of Buddha That Will Change The Way You Look At Life! by tsephanyah(f): 2:35am On Feb 29, 2016
Buddhism, keep quiet and u will understand everything. but some sapiens even if u put the Buddha temples in them they will still be the same

1 Like

Re: Quotes Of Buddha That Will Change The Way You Look At Life! by mumumugu(m): 4:51am On Feb 29, 2016
Buddha beta dan Christianity
Re: Quotes Of Buddha That Will Change The Way You Look At Life! by rottennaija(m): 6:30am On Feb 29, 2016
This religion seems interesting
Re: Quotes Of Buddha That Will Change The Way You Look At Life! by tanteta(m): 6:53am On Feb 29, 2016
Those were soul searching....... And truely touching. Thanks four sharing.
Re: Quotes Of Buddha That Will Change The Way You Look At Life! by ojmaroni247(m): 10:09am On Feb 29, 2016
Ur welcome
tanteta:
Those were soul searching....... And truely touching. Thanks four sharing.
Re: Quotes Of Buddha That Will Change The Way You Look At Life! by Nobody: 11:29am On Feb 29, 2016
Buddha a great philosophy.
Re: Quotes Of Buddha That Will Change The Way You Look At Life! by ojmaroni247(m): 5:03pm On Feb 29, 2016
wink
Re: Quotes Of Buddha That Will Change The Way You Look At Life! by Nobody: 6:04pm On Feb 29, 2016
Re: Quotes Of Buddha That Will Change The Way You Look At Life! by Nobody: 6:48pm On Feb 29, 2016
Meh, I think Buddhism is part crap, and the other half hinges on "meditations"
Re: Quotes Of Buddha That Will Change The Way You Look At Life! by onetrack(m): 8:26pm On Feb 29, 2016
SirWere:
Meh, I think Buddhism is part crap, and the other half hinges on "meditations"

Yeah I basically agree. While there are some real gems in the teachings of Buddha, Buddhism itself has plenty of superstitions and mystical beliefs like all the other major religions.
Re: Quotes Of Buddha That Will Change The Way You Look At Life! by cloudgoddess(f): 1:00am On Mar 01, 2016
In the US and the UK there has been a modern adaptation of Buddhism that moves the focus from the supernatural symbolism of the traditional religion, to the proven psychological benefits and personal growth that can be attained through Buddhist style meditation. The movement/pratice is called "mindfulness meditation", and there are now many phone apps, websites, programs, and books that teach it. It is actually quite simple to learn, no chanting or hypnosis, there are no dogma or supernatural beliefs required to practice it and the benefits are quite astonishing.

There have been several studies done backing its merits, and its application to many human woes like anxiety, depression, PTSD, even bad habits and addiction. This study discovered significantly increased gray matter in the brains of long-term meditators compared to non-meditators. Gray matter makes up the parts of the brain responsible for self control, emotion regulation, executive function, and overall happiness/peace of mind:
"Mindfulness practice leads to increases in regional brain gray matter density"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3004979/

A good, simple article referencing these studies and more:
https://hbr.org/2015/01/mindfulness-can-literally-change-your-brain

A quick google search of things like, "mindfulness meditation benefits", "mindfulness meditation research", "mindfulness anxiety/depression/stress" will pull up many hits of current and reputable web pages discussing the practice.

I started a year ago and I have to say it has truly changed my experience of life. I'm more in control of my reactions - rather than being controlled by emotional whims, I have learned to obtain a stillness of mind that allows me to pause more easily before making decisions. I am able to metaphorically "step out" of racing thoughts and emotions, and experience them from a less consumed point of view. My stress is down, my enjoyment of life is up, I can now see fears, upset, insecurities and worries for what they are - temporary events of the mind, nothing to fear or be controlled by. I am able to experience gratitude and compassion much more readily.

It's been referred to by experts as "a workout for your mind" -- you are gradually training your brain to be more focused, more "in the now" rather than consumed by habitual intrusive thought, more aware of your physical, emotional, and mental experiences, more in control of your actions, and less judgmental of yourself and others. Over time it becomes easier and more natural, and you begin to relate to your experiences in a way that leaves you so much less stressed, worked up, and battered by life.

In this video Dan Harris, agnostic-atheist meditator, newscaster, and author discusses the practical benefits and science.
"Dan Harris: Hack Your Brain's Default Mode with Meditation"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAcTIrA2Qhk

It's certainly something worth checking out, especially for any atheist or skeptic who's looking for a reliable, proven path towards self-growth that's not polluted by dogma.

1 Like

Re: Quotes Of Buddha That Will Change The Way You Look At Life! by ojmaroni247(m): 10:51pm On Mar 02, 2016
Very Tru,... cheesy
cloudgoddess:
In the US and the UK there has been a modern adaptation of Buddhism that moves the focus from the supernatural symbolism of the traditional religion, to the proven psychological benefits and personal growth that can be attained through Buddhist style meditation. The movement/pratice is called "mindfulness meditation", and there are now many phone apps, websites, programs, and books that teach it. It is actually quite simple to learn, no chanting or hypnosis, there are no dogma or supernatural beliefs required to practice it and the benefits are quite astonishing.

There have been several studies done backing its merits, and its application to many human woes like anxiety, depression, PTSD, even bad habits and addiction. This study discovered significantly increased gray matter in the brains of long-term meditators compared to non-meditators. Gray matter makes up the parts of the brain responsible for self control, emotion regulation, executive function, and overall happiness/peace of mind:
"Mindfulness practice leads to increases in regional brain gray matter density"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3004979/

A good, simple article referencing these studies and more:
https://hbr.org/2015/01/mindfulness-can-literally-change-your-brain

A quick google search of things like, "mindfulness meditation benefits", "mindfulness meditation research", "mindfulness anxiety/depression/stress" will pull up many hits of current and reputable web pages discussing the practice.

I started a year ago and I have to say it has truly changed my experience of life. I'm more in control of my reactions - rather than being controlled by emotional whims, I have learned to obtain a stillness of mind that allows me to pause more easily before making decisions. I am able to metaphorically "step out" of racing thoughts and emotions, and experience them from a less consumed point of view. My stress is down, my enjoyment of life is up, I can now see fears, upset, insecurities and worries for what they are - temporary events of the mind, nothing to fear or be controlled by. I am able to experience gratitude and compassion much more readily.

It's been referred to by experts as "a workout for your mind" -- you are gradually training your brain to be more focused, more "in the now" rather than consumed by habitual intrusive thought, more aware of your physical, emotional, and mental experiences, more in control of your actions, and less judgmental of yourself and others. Over time it becomes easier and more natural, and you begin to relate to your experiences in a way that leaves you so much less stressed, worked up, and battered by life.

In this video Dan Harris, agnostic-atheist meditator, newscaster, and author discusses the practical benefits and science.
"Dan Harris: Hack Your Brain's Default Mode with Meditation"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAcTIrA2Qhk

It's certainly something worth checking out, especially for any atheist or skeptic who's looking for a reliable, proven path towards self-growth that's not polluted by dogma.

(1) (Reply)

Thanksgiving (Time,how,advantages,ways,Results,Disadvantages) / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 04/06/16 / Throwback Pic Of Apostle Johnson Suleiman Before He Became A Clergyman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.