Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,582 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:46 PM

Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions (11667 Views)

What's The Most In-demand Field Of Computer Science/programming? / How To Get Your First Data Science/programming Job / For Computer Science Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by airsaylongcon: 8:33am On Mar 02, 2016
ultimatex:

All you have to do is register and start living life easy and smooth.

Can you calculate the worst case scenario in big O notation of mergesort?
Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by Fulaman198(m): 9:32am On Mar 02, 2016
I have a good problem for you guys to solve. I remember one of my professors years back giving me this one.

Implement a method double getRoot(double x, int n, double tolerance)

that returns the nth root of x to the given tolerance (plus or minus). Use a binary search algorithm

Assume all parameters are positive. Avoid infinite loops when tolerance is too small.

Make sure the code works when 0< x < 1. It should work for values of n in the hundreds, provided tolerance isn't too small.

Only basic operations may be used (+, -, *, / etc.).

Upload your function/method with a driver to prove that it works smiley

2 Likes

Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by airsaylongcon: 9:40am On Mar 02, 2016
Fulaman198:
I have a good problem for you guys to solve. I remember one of my professors years back giving me this one.

Implement a method double getRoot(double x, int n, double tolerance)

that returns the nth root of x to the given tolerance (plus or minus). Use a binary search algorithm

Assume all parameters are positive. Avoid infinite loops when tolerance is too small.

Make sure the code works when 0< x < 1. It should work for values of n in the hundreds, provided tolerance isn't too small.

Only basic operations may be used (+, -, *, / etc.).

Upload your function/method with a driver to prove that it works smiley

Explain the function of the tolerance variable and how it works
Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by DonSegmond(m): 2:01pm On Mar 02, 2016
Tosinosu2011:
please i need a program that allow users to enter d number of tyres and it would be evenly divided through bicycle, car, and trycycle tyres. eg 9 tires will be: 1car, 1trycycle and 1bicycle. the program sud be in java. tenks
I know this is for your homework, but I want to open your eyes that school might not be enough.
I want you to know there is more out there, and that you can learn to do more and you should seize control of your life and constantly keep learning.

Here is the solution in prolog.

:- use_module(library(clpfd)).

solve(Tires, Cars, Tricycle, Bicycle):-
Vars = [Cars,Tricycle,Bicycle],
Vars ins 0..sup,
Cars*4 + Tricycle*3 + Bicycle*2 #= Tires,
label(Vars).

When we solve, we get the truth. With 9 tires, there are 3 solutions.
?- solve(9, Car, Tricycle, Bicycle).

Car = 0, Tricycle = 1, Bicycle = 3 ;
Car = 0, Bicycle = 0, Tricycle = 3 ;
Car = 1, Tricycle = 1, Bicycle = 1 ;

Anyways, have fun with Java, but know there is more out there.

1 Like

Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by Fulaman198(m): 7:44pm On Mar 02, 2016
Tosinosu2011:
please i need a program that allow users to enter d number of tyres and it would be evenly divided through bicycle, car, and trycycle tyres. eg 9 tires will be: 1car, 1trycycle and 1bicycle. the program sud be in java. tenks

I would write it for you, but you need to be more serious and read your textbook. Who is the author of your text?
Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by Fulaman198(m): 11:28pm On Mar 02, 2016
Tosinosu2011:

If you attempt to write the program, I will help you with the rest.
Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by airsaylongcon: 8:57am On Mar 03, 2016
I will post questions over the weekend as I am out of town guys
Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by airsaylongcon: 2:50pm On Mar 07, 2016
Here we go guys

Consider the following function
int t ()
{
int q, output;
output = 0;
for ( q = 0; q < 5; q++ )
{
if ( ( q % 3 ) == 1 )
output = output + q;
else
output = output + 1;
}
return output;
}
What value is returned as a result of the call t () ?
Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by codemarshal08(m): 5:44pm On Mar 07, 2016
airsaylongcon:
Here we go guys

int t ()
{
int q, output;
output = 0;
for ( q = 0; q < 5; k++ )
{
if ( ( q % 3 ) == 1 )
output = output + q;
else
output = output + 1;
}
return output;
}

A call to this function will cause an infinite loop. it will never return as the value of q is never incremented
Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by airsaylongcon: 5:54pm On Mar 07, 2016
codemarshal08:

A call to this function will cause an infinite loop. it will never return as the value of q is never incremented

Sorry that's a typo. My brain meant to type q++ while my hand typed k++. My apologies
Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by codemarshal08(m): 6:02pm On Mar 07, 2016
airsaylongcon:

Sorry that's a typo. My brain meant to type q++ while my hand typed k++. My apologies

OK. the return value is 8

----------

1st comparison, q = 0 ----- 0%3 =====> 0, output = 0 + 1 = 1-----------1
2nd q = 1------1%3=====> 0. output = 1 + 1 = 2------------2
3rd q = 2------2%3=====> 0, output = 2 + 1----------------3
4th q = 3------3%3=====> 0, output = 3 + 1---------------4
5th q = 4------4%3=====> 1, output = 4 + q = 4 + 4-------8
Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by airsaylongcon: 6:11pm On Mar 07, 2016
codemarshal08:

Ok the return value is 8

That was straight forward. Well done
Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by airsaylongcon: 6:15pm On Mar 07, 2016
Consider the following pseudocode.

program main ()
begin
integer p, q, r, s
p = 6
q = 7
r = 8
s = fxn (p, q, r)
print s, p, q, r
end

integer fxn (integer a, integer b, integer c)
begin
if (a > 6) then b = 25
c = a + b
return b + c
end

If fxn uses call-by-reference, what values would be printed as a result of executing the pseudocode?
Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by codemarshal08(m): 6:32pm On Mar 07, 2016
airsaylongcon:

program main ()
begin
integer p, q, r, s
p = 6
q = 7
r = 8
s = fxn (p, q, r)
print s, p, q, r
end

begin
if (a > 6) then
b = 25
c = a + b
return b + c
end

If fxn uses call-by-reference, what values would be printed as a result of executing the pseudocode?

Please, Does the if in the function have an [b]else [/b]part. Just want to be clear. I am not too convenient with pascal Syntax(i guess)
Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by airsaylongcon: 6:36pm On Mar 07, 2016
codemarshal08:

Please, Does the if in the function have an else part. Just want to be clear. I am not too convenient with pascal Syntax(i guess)

I have edited the problem. I tried to put a space indicating that the if applied only to b=25 but some how that space vanished grin
Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by codemarshal08(m): 6:43pm On Mar 07, 2016
airsaylongcon:

program main ()
begin
integer p, q, r, s
p = 6
q = 7
r = 8
s = fxn (p, q, r)
print s, p, q, r
end

begin
if (a > 6) then b = 25
c = a + b
return b + c
end

20, 6 , 7, 13

1 Like

Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by asalimpo(m): 6:45pm On Mar 12, 2016
sad that this this thread dead. I wanted to learn from it.
Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by Fulaman198(m): 8:05am On Mar 13, 2016
Tosinosu2011:

Did you ever figure it out? Let me know so I can help you with it.
Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by Argonn(m): 11:57am On Apr 07, 2017
Please I need a pro to check this code for m. Its a program should accept input for user and count the number of vowels and consonants.

The Code:

v_count = 0
c_count = 0
alphabets = []
vowels = ['a', 'e', 'i', 'o', 'u']
consonants []

for i in vowels:
....vowels.append(chr(ord(i)-32))
....#update the vowels list with caps
for i in range(65, 91):
....alphabet.append(chr(i))
....alphabet.append(chr(i+32))
....#update the alphabets list
for i in alphabets:
....if i not in vowels:
........consonants.append(i)
........#update the consonants list

text = input("Enter text:\t" )

for letter in text:
....if letter in vowels:
........v_count += 1
....elif letter in consonants:
........c_count += 1
....else:
........continue

print("vowels: " + str(v_count))
print("consonants: " + str(c_count))
Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by Kidstell: 1:55am On May 12, 2017
airsaylongcon:
OK warm up with this. Remember that these are exam questions meant to be answered in approximately 2 minutes. Without the use of a compiler or stuff like that

double p (double b, unsigned int e)
{
if (e==0)
return 1.0;
else
if (even(e))
return p(b*b, e/2);
else
return p(b*b, e/2)*b;
}

How many multiplication are executed as a result of the call p(5.0, 12). Divisions SHOULD NOT be included in this total
Answer = 8

Given that I had to do it without paper. I think it's a very good brain task.
Though I am yet to see another answer claiming that I am right I must also say that I noticed the condition for an even number input is never executed
Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by Kidstell: 2:08am On May 12, 2017
airsaylongcon:
Here we go guys

int t ()
{
int q, output;
output = 0;
for ( q = 0; q < 5; q++ )
{
if ( ( q % 3 ) == 1 )
output = output + q;
else
output = output + 1;
}
return output;
}

answer = 8
Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by Craigston: 11:48am On May 14, 2017
airsaylongcon:
This one is deep. Old school Pascal programming.

var a, b, c :integer;
read (c) ;
a:=1;
b:=1;
while a <10 do
begin
b=b*a;
a=a+1;
If a = c then exit
end

For the fragment of code above, which of the following statements about variables a and b must be true after execution of the fragment?

A) (b=(c-1)!) AND (a>=c)
B) (b=9!) AND (a=10)
C) (b=10!) AND (a=10)
D) ((b=10!) AND (a=10)) OR ((b=(c-1)!) AND (a=c))
E) ((b=9!) AND (a>=10)) OR ((b=(c-1)!) AND (a=c))

The answer is E.
If the loop runs until the first a < 10, we cannot compute a b *= 10, but we must have done that from a = {1, 2, ..., 9}. At that point, a >= 10 is true after the last iteration.
Similarly, we introduced a second termination condition that brings the iteration count closer, at a = c. This condition will be reached only if the integer read into c is less than 10. The same procedure above applies, with the range of a being
{a: 1 <= a < c}

during the execution of the loop's body. Then b = (c -1)! Is true after the loop exits, since a = c terminates the loop, just after a become equal to c.
Re: Computer Science/programming Challenging Questions by Craigston: 12:00pm On May 14, 2017
Damn! I thought it was an active topic.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Convert Folder/file To Jpeg Format / Can Obfuscated Php Script Be Decoded? / For Django Developer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.