Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,431 members, 7,800,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:35 AM

KFC, Eateries And The Lack Of Chips - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / KFC, Eateries And The Lack Of Chips (1400 Views)

Sun Dry Cassava Chips Now Available! / Quality Rotary Dryer For Cassava Chips,ginger,e.t.c / Plantain Slicing Machine For Making Plantain Chips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

KFC, Eateries And The Lack Of Chips by Nobody: 9:03am On Feb 29, 2016
So recently there has been a a social media outcry or shock over the fact that KFC does not have chips to serve customers.

Apparently all the major eateries buy imported frozen chips and the scarcity of dollars has crashed supplies.

Lets discuss how frozen chips can be supplied domestically to bridge this gap. I believe this is a great opportunity.
I'm not an expert in agriculture so questions I have are
Can potatoes only be grown in the north?
What standard for potato is required for frozen chips?
How do you transport frozen chips?
What cutters do you require?
Has anyone ever tried supplying frozen chips locally

Solutions are the focus here
Re: KFC, Eateries And The Lack Of Chips by Nobody: 6:05pm On Feb 29, 2016
Re: KFC, Eateries And The Lack Of Chips by router123(m): 6:38pm On Feb 29, 2016
Wht u mention is good new & an oppurtunity as far as am concern. Am into sweet Potatoe chips. But let me answer ur questions to d best of my knowledge

I think so cos of d type of soil needed
No real standard. There is a machine dat peels & slice it. Though its imported & expensive.
Like u transport frozen food. In a van with refrigerator.
It's a machine though there are small cutters for home use. There are those plastic graters. They don't use power supply.
Has anyone ever tried supplying frozen chips locally?
I v nt
U can whatsapp me on 08131360160

1 Like

Re: KFC, Eateries And The Lack Of Chips by Nobody: 10:44am On Mar 02, 2016
[quote author=router123 post=43364194]Wht u mention is good new & an oppurtunity as far as am concern. Am into sweet Potatoe chips. But let me answer ur questions to d best of my knowledge

No real standard. There is a machine dat peels & slice it. Though its imported & expensive.
It's a machine though there are small cutters for home use. There are those plastic graters. They don't use power supply.
I v nt
U can whatsapp me on 08131360160 [/quote
]

Thanks.

About the cutters for commercial chips the potatoes must be a a certain size though.
I say this because commercial chips that are imported taste different and are regular size unlike local potatoes
Re: KFC, Eateries And The Lack Of Chips by Fumbaby: 6:14am On Mar 03, 2016
[quote author=salsera post=43409874][/quote]

The different in taste it's the preservatives use in preserving it, I have the manual machine and it's very easy to use and the sizes are the same

2 Likes

Re: KFC, Eateries And The Lack Of Chips by Nobody: 11:49am On Mar 03, 2016
Fumbaby

Is the machine for home use or commercial use? That is if you are bot talking about those potato cutters /slicers that you have to peel first.

Where did you get it to buy?
Re: KFC, Eateries And The Lack Of Chips by Fumbaby: 11:53am On Mar 03, 2016
salsera:
Fumbaby

Is the machine for home use or commercial use? That is if you are bot talking about those potato cutters /slicers that you have to peel first.

Where did you get it to buy?

My own machine is for home use, I got a manual peeler separately and the chipper separately, I got it in idumota

2 Likes

Re: KFC, Eateries And The Lack Of Chips by Curiouscity(m): 12:28pm On Mar 03, 2016
This is one area I think FG should ban permanently. Why do we have to import frozen chips when potato is rotting away in naija?

Freshly cut chip taste far better that frozen and healthier, but sadly we are now used to the frozen types. Hence, the taste of imported chip is used as a benchmark.

The cutter can be imported from India, China, Indonesia etc. All that is needed after that is a clean processing facility to wash, peel, cut and package the chips here.

1 Like

Re: KFC, Eateries And The Lack Of Chips by Nobody: 2:28pm On Mar 04, 2016
@curiouscity

I honestly don't think the problem is that simple that banning would stop it.

See frozen chicken imports have been banned for years but its readily available.
On the other hand though ban on frozen chicken imports did push the poultry industry to sit up and supply frozen chicken too.
However our domestic needs are far more than internal supply can meet.

And I suspect the same issue will persist with potatoes. People should take advantage of this opportunity because there is a large demand for chips
Re: KFC, Eateries And The Lack Of Chips by bowile4u(m): 11:45am On Apr 15, 2016
router123:
Wht u mention is good new & an oppurtunity as far as am concern. Am into sweet Potatoe chips. But let me answer ur questions to d best of my knowledge
I v nt
U can whatsapp me on 08131360160

please do you know about any where the machine can be imported? i mean a real and good source. Thanks
u can whatsapp me on 08068562004

(1) (Reply)

New Massey Ferguson 375, 75hp TRACTORS. Available 4 Sale / Where Exactly Is Owowo Model Farm Settlement? / 500 Tons Of Cleaned Neem Seed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.