Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,175 members, 7,780,214 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:57 AM

23,846 Ghost Workers And N2.29 Saved: The Only Way We Should Believe This. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 23,846 Ghost Workers And N2.29 Saved: The Only Way We Should Believe This. (782 Views)

BVN Saves N2.293b, Exposes 23, 846 Ghost Workers / FG Removes 23,846 Ghost Workers From Government Payroll / 'FG To Handover 23,000 Ghost Workers And Banks To Efcc'-finance Minister,adeosun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

23,846 Ghost Workers And N2.29 Saved: The Only Way We Should Believe This. by Nobody: 5:58pm On Feb 29, 2016
I have to confess, although I have never had much faith in the Buhari Administration, the BVN idea is one of the best ideas ever conceived and executed in the Nigerian economy to hold back leakages especially with its recent outcome as reported in the media: 23,846 ghost workers unraveled and N2.29 billion saved the country. And it just came when we needed it the most: At these hard economic times. Kudos to the Federal Government for this. This is to tell you we are not biased in our criticism. We really mean well.

But, we still need something done for us to really believe these figures were not invented to win accolades. This is it: The money paid to these ghost workers over the years was not paid into bank accounts belonging to ghosts; No, instead, they belong to real human beings, many of whom are alive at this very moment enjoying the funds stolen from us, or their families are enjoying them. It should be remembered that this huge theft from our common patrimony has led to many people losing their lives to insecurity, hunger, disease and more, among other huge costs to us as a nation and as individuals. So, for us to really believe these figures, let the FG trace the accounts that were receiving these funds to their owners, and let them refund the funds with interest and let us see them punished according to law to address the injustice done and discourage further occurrence of such in our beloved nation of good majority.

Also, if you ask me, I find it hard to believe that salaries paid to 23,846 supposed workers over so many years only would amount to just N2.29 billion. Let the FG look further into the figures. These funds should be refunded considering the fact that when they were stolen, a dollar was probably as low as N100. It's only when the FG does this that Nigerians will be satisfied with the results. It is actually wrong for the media to report that N2.29 billion was 'saved' unless it has been refunded and the appropriate punishment meted to the thieves involved.
Re: 23,846 Ghost Workers And N2.29 Saved: The Only Way We Should Believe This. by pendusky(m): 6:04pm On Feb 29, 2016
BreketeMind:
I have to confess, although I have never had much faith in the Buhari Administration, the BVN idea is one of the best ideas ever conceived and executed in the Nigerian economy to hold back leakages especially with its recent outcome as reported in the media: 23,846 ghost workers unraveled and N2.29 billion saved the country. And it just came when we needed it the most: At these hard economic times. Kudos to the Federal Government for this. This is to tell you we are not biased in our criticism. We really mean well.

But, we still need something done for us to really believe these figures were not invented to win accolades. This is it: The money paid to these ghost workers over the years was not paid into bank accounts belonging to ghosts; No, instead, they belong to real human beings, many of whom are alive at this very moment enjoying the funds stolen from us, or their families are enjoying them. It should be remembered that this huge theft from our common patrimony has led to many people losing their lives to insecurity, hunger, disease and more, among other huge costs to us as a nation and as individuals. So, for us to really believe these figures, let the FG trace the accounts that were receiving these funds to their owners, and let them refund the funds with interest and let us see them punished according to law to address the injustice done and discourage further occurrence of such in our beloved nation of good majority.

Also, if you ask me, I find it hard to believe that salaries paid to 23,846 supposed workers over so many years only would amount to just N2.29 billion. Let the FG look further into the figures. These funds should be refunded considering the fact that when they were stolen, a dollar was probably as low as N100. It's only when the FG does this that Nigerians will be satisfied with the results. It is actually wrong for the media to report that N2.29 billion was 'saved' unless it has been refunded and the appropriate punishment meted to the thieves involved.

Before you give credit to Buhari for BVN, Let me lecture you on this

banks in Nigeria on February 14, 2014 launched a centralized biometric identification system for the banking industry tagged Bank Verification Number (BVN).

BVN started far back 2014. I was enrolled in December 2014

Be properly guided.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 23,846 Ghost Workers And N2.29 Saved: The Only Way We Should Believe This. by megaik: 6:16pm On Feb 29, 2016
pendusky:

banks in Nigeria on February 14, 2014 launched a centralized biometric identification system for the banking industry tagged Bank Verification Number (BVN).

Be properly guided.

ALWAYS TRYING TO REAP WHERE THEY NEVER SOWED. THANKS FOR CORRECTING HIM.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 23,846 Ghost Workers And N2.29 Saved: The Only Way We Should Believe This. by chinchum(m): 6:22pm On Feb 29, 2016
BreketeMind:

You need to get the point, it means FG pays N2.29 billion naira less than it used to pay. If an entrepreneur of a 10 man company used to pay n500,000, and she discovers that 2 out of the 10 workers are ghost workers, excluding the 2 ghost workers, the total wages she pays then drops to say n400,000, then one can say she has saved n100,000
Re: 23,846 Ghost Workers And N2.29 Saved: The Only Way We Should Believe This. by Nobody: 6:54pm On Feb 29, 2016
pendusky:

Be properly guided.

Thank you Mr. Lecturer. No one knows it all. Yet the Buhari Admin still deserves some credit for carrying on with a laudable program they met on board. And you still need to cite authoritative sources to prove your own point.
Re: 23,846 Ghost Workers And N2.29 Saved: The Only Way We Should Believe This. by Nobody: 5:58am On Mar 01, 2016
megaik:

ALWAYS TRYING TO REAP WHERE THEY NEVER SOWED. THANKS FOR CORRECTING HIM.
I realize many of you just come here to read first paragraphs (because you're too lazy to read the whole post) and then, you begin to make comments based on your half education. Your reply implies that I'm on Buhari's side, and it's a clear proof you didn't read the entire post. Many of you lack the ability to have a balanced judgment of situations. It's either you're supporting or you're against someone line-hook-and-sinker. It makes you very ridiculous in the eyes of any reasonable person. And no reasonable person will believe you if you are always supporting or against a particular person. So, read the post well and CORRECT yourself. There is absolutely no good reason to just throw up such terse comment from your basic Tecno phone about someone "trying to reap from where they never sowed". Who's reaping from where he never sowed here?

3 Likes

Re: 23,846 Ghost Workers And N2.29 Saved: The Only Way We Should Believe This. by Standing5(m): 6:54am On Mar 01, 2016
pendusky:

Be properly guided.

Where did he give Buhari the credit of concieving the BVN or executing it? Insecurity is your problem dude. You are insecure.
Re: 23,846 Ghost Workers And N2.29 Saved: The Only Way We Should Believe This. by Ovamboland(m): 6:58am On Mar 01, 2016
BreketeMind:

I agree we need to be more objective in our analysis of issues, or else we appear retarded in thinking, see the following quote from news report of the discovery:

“Further investigation into other suspected cases of non-existent workers will continue in conjunction with operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC),” Mr. Akanbi said.

He said the federal government was also pursuing the recovery of salary balances in bank accounts as well as any pension contributions in respect of the workers whose names have since been removed from the payrolls.

As citizens, our job is to follow up the investigations and not let our usual short memory of events make us forget, we want to see the faces of those collecting the money for ghost workers no matter how highly placed. The data is sitting with the banks, it should be a fairly easy investigation.
Re: 23,846 Ghost Workers And N2.29 Saved: The Only Way We Should Believe This. by ericuzor(m): 11:00am On Mar 03, 2016
anybody that can't access his account due to bvn irregularities should hola me

(1) (Reply)

Flash Back: How-senator-ndume-funds-boko-haram (senate Leader From Apc) / Breaking News: Minister For Labour (state), James Ocholi Is Dead / Dogara Mourns As Reps Member Dies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.