Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,291 members, 7,807,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:30 AM

Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) (53430 Views)

Peter Rufai's Car Bashed By American Embassy Officials Who Pursued Him / Stephen Keshi, Sam Okwaraji And Peter Rufai (Throwback Photo) / Kanu Nwankwo, Peter Rufai In Bauchi For Novelty Match.Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by apeda73(m): 2:43pm On Mar 03, 2016
Dodo mayana,
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by efilefun(m): 3:12pm On Mar 03, 2016
Dexema:
kai! stop it there in jesus name! I would have put my aged grandma in between the sticks instead of baruwa, the same baruwa that wanted to turn to Ronaldinho against yugoslavias in form striker Mijatovic?
lmao that Bros fuckup self
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by badesco(m): 3:18pm On Mar 03, 2016
He is not the best keeper. How about Peter fregene, mike okala and joe erico.
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by LagosEconomist: 3:18pm On Mar 03, 2016
LastMumu:

I think say na only me the thing dey affect. Despite how good Rufai was for us, he really messed up in France 98. angry
His biggest problem then was parrying shots into dangerous areas which obviously allowed our opponent strikers easy tap-ins

France 98 was 17 years after Rufai debuted. He should not have been there. Some of our guys stay on too long, and in Rufai's case, it was worse as he had taken 3-4 years away from pro-football to go to University.

For anyone who saw Rufai in the 80's (CIV 84, Maroc 88), there is no argument about who Nigeria's best ever keeper is.

Vincent maintained a high level for longer, and put up one of the best outings of a Nigerian keeper in the 2013 CAN, but even that level was below Rufai at his best.

5 Likes

Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by shadrach77: 3:31pm On Mar 03, 2016
LagosEconomist:

France 98 was 17 years after Rufai debuted. He should not have been there. Some of our guys stay on too long, and in Rufai's case, it was worse as he had taken 3-4 years away from pro-football to go to University.

For anyone who saw Rufai in the 80's (CIV 84, Maroc 88), there is no argument about who Nigeria's best ever keeper is.

Vincent maintained a high level for longer, and put up one of the best outings of a Nigerian keeper in the 2013 CAN, but even that level was below Rufai at his best.

Thanks o bros. People are always reffering to the 98 Denmark match forgetting the fact that Rufai was semi-retired at that time. Go and watch Maroc 88 then you'll know how good Rufai was in his hey days. He was the best goalkeeper not only in Nigeria but in Africa. He was very good at stopping penalties, something Enyeama hasn't been noted for. Rufai is by far, Nigeria's best goalkeeper angry angry angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by easyelliot(m): 3:39pm On Mar 03, 2016
I still remember him signing my book when they played a nations cup qualifier in Sierra leone 1987.....when he shook my hand, this boy at the time was awestruck....

Still my fav goalie of all time!!!
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by babafirst(m): 4:41pm On Mar 03, 2016
Dooooodooooo. Mayanaaaaaaa, chop knuckle chop knuckle.
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by mysticwarrior(m): 4:50pm On Mar 03, 2016
He is the first nigerian goalkeeper to ever appear in a world cup match, he is Dodo Mayana.

1 Like

Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by bakenda(m): 5:26pm On Mar 03, 2016
Reminds me of Abiola Babes back in the days.
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by Jaonnyster: 5:27pm On Mar 03, 2016
southniyikaye:
who is peter rufai? Nigeria only has one best keeper and his name is

Keeper rufai

You are very funny... lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by rapmike(m): 5:48pm On Mar 03, 2016
ikubch:

Peter Rufai, he took Nigeria to No 5 on FIFA ranking. Dodo Mayana!

If enyeama instead of Rufai kept during that time, we would have been in number 3 and maybe Enyeama would have kept for a top European team like Juventus or Dortmund/Bayern.
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by rapmike(m): 6:12pm On Mar 03, 2016
oodua1stson:
funny how people who have never done anything good for their own family will come online to tarnish someone who actually did something for the whole Nigeria.

A man who under him we were the 5th best team in the world.

In 98 he was old and not the 1st choice. It was the injury to Ike Shorunmu that made him start at the world cup 98 and he did very well considering that was when FIFA and Adidas went the way of rubber balls instead of leather.

And your hero Enyeama also cost us qualification to the world cup in 2006 when he conceded one of the cheapest goals ever against Angola

But why am I wasting my time. A fool will never see greatness even if it hits him on the head

What's it? Why venting your anger on the post? What happened, whether he was 2nd choice or last choice, happened and he has part of the blame! We know that Enyeama had his faults but does that make him less than Rufai? In fact, you that is claiming that someone cannot see greatness may have the same issue, only picking Enyeama's faults.
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by rapmike(m): 6:17pm On Mar 03, 2016
shadrach77:

Thanks o bros. People are always reffering to the 98 Denmark match forgetting the fact that Rufai was semi-retired at that time. Go and watch Maroc 88 then you'll know how good Rufai was in his hey days. He was the best goalkeeper not only in Nigeria but in Africa. He was very good at stopping penalties, something Enyeama hasn't been noted for. Rufai is by far, Nigeria's best goalkeeper angry angry angry

Bros, what do you mean that Enyeama was not know for stopping penalties? Did you watch Enyeama in Enyimba? Do you watch the dude when he keeps for Lille? I know that Rufai was awesome but stop looking down on Enyeama like he was one inferior goalkeeper or that he was not good. For heavens sake, Enyeama has been the best Goalkeeper in Africa before; he was even nominated for the best player in Africa. Nigerian football history owes a lot to Enyeama, same as Rufai!

1 Like

Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by cardoctor(m): 6:42pm On Mar 03, 2016
Same old Peter Rufai. Still looking good but I wonder how life has been treating him.
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by cruzita(f): 7:05pm On Mar 03, 2016
PeinDanzo:

Am sorry, but don't u have a jamb to prepare for, IPOB teenager with anger issues sad
hian!!!who is this one again
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by dungburu: 7:15pm On Mar 03, 2016
winkmart:
[size=20pt]haaaaaa, emi PETER RUFAI......that was the kids' slogan then[/size]

check my SIGNATURE
you are damn right man. We used to struggle to bear the name any time we want to play ball. we call him kepper rufai.
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by ikubch(m): 7:16pm On Mar 03, 2016
rapmike:

If enyeama instead of Rufai kept during that time, we would have been in number 3 and maybe Enyeama would have kept for a top European team like Juventus or Dortmund/Bayern.
You don't compare the panache of rufai with enyeama
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by kannymoore(m): 9:05pm On Mar 03, 2016
rapmike:

Bros, what do you mean that Enyeama was not know for stopping penalties? Did you watch Enyeama in Enyimba? Do you watch the dude when he keeps for Lille? I know that Rufai was awesome but stop looking down on Enyeama like he was one inferior goalkeeper or that he was not good. For heavens sake, Enyeama has been the best Goalkeeper in Africa before; he was even nominated for the best player in Africa. Nigerian football history owes a lot to Enyeama, same as Rufai!

Enyeama had never been renown for penalty kicks in Enyimba oh! Back in the day, when it came to spot kicks, a substitution involving dele ayenugba in for Enyeama would suffice due to Ayenugba's progress @ stopping penalty kicks.

The first round of penalty kicks I can remember Vincent coming tops was against Zambia in the knockout stages of the nations cup in 2010.

By then, Enyeama was already a super eagles Legend In his own right.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by Segadem(m): 1:11am On Mar 04, 2016
babafirst:
Dooooodooooo. Mayanaaaaaaa, chop knuckle chop knuckle.
mysticwarrior:
He is the first nigerian goalkeeper to ever appear in a world cup match, he is Dodo Mayana.
dungburu:
you are damn right man. We used to struggle to bear the name any time we want to play ball. we call him kepper rufai.
I have read through all the post and what I can deduce is that the younger ones prefer Enyeama over Rufai just because many of them may not see Keeper Rufai in action in his hey days. It's just like saying messi is better than Diego Maradona or Pelle just because messi is 5 times footballer of the year and these two people have never had the opportunity to win this award because there is nothing like such in their time.
Another thing is that we are in the era of rocket science technology unlike the olden days that we only rely solely on NTA to give us lives transmission of those matches but today you watch the replay in your tablet or your android phone, you can download the highlight from youtube etc. But the issue I can have with someone is that when you see both of them playing and you still say Enyeama is still better then you are like Louis Val Gaal selling Chicharito and Angel di maria and replaced them with Lingard. grin

1 Like

Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by babafirst(m): 5:37am On Mar 04, 2016
Segadem:

I have read through all the post and what I can deduce is that the younger ones prefer Enyeama over Rufai just because many of them may not see Keeper Rufai in action in his hey days. It's just like saying messi is better than Diego Maradona or Pelle just because messi is 5 times footballer of the year and these two people have never had the opportunity to win this award because there is nothing like such in their time.
Another thing is that we are in the era of rocket science technology unlike the olden days that we only rely solely on NTA to give us lives transmission of those matches but today you watch the replay in your tablet or your android phone, you can download the highlight from youtube etc. But the issue I can have with someone is that when you see both of them playing and you still say Enyeama is still better then you are like Louis Val Gaal selling Chicharito and Angel di maria and replaced them with Lingard. grin
Looool
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by mysticwarrior(m): 2:34pm On Mar 04, 2016
Watching his brilliant performance in Morocco 88, senegal 92, Tunisia 94( where you save 2penalty kick during the shootout against a tough michel basoli ivorian side in the semi final) and assisted us in winning the Trophy for the first time in a foreign soil. despite being disappointed by his blonder especially in the match against Denmark in France 98, i still have every reasons to be convinced that Peter Rufai is a goalkeeper with an outstanding abilities, graced with exceptional talent and glow with a formidable rigidity. There is no doubt that peter rufia remain the most feared Nigerian goal keeper of all time. My Dodo Mayana.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mcgregor Vs Mayweather, More Photos From The Arena. / Messi Gets A Broken Nose And Swollen Eye After Collision With Chris Smalling / Carles Puyol Reacts As Iker Casillas Comes Out As Gay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.