Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,274 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:43 AM

Gotv Magic - The Musical Chair Model (are We Being Scammed?) - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Gotv Magic - The Musical Chair Model (are We Being Scammed?) (1119 Views)

Win Big Brother Naija Head Of House Chair Plus N1,000,000 Naira! / Screenshot Of How Nollywood Actress Sola Kosoko Scammed A US Base Man. PHOTOS!!! / How I Was Scammed By Nigezietv VJ Pam Briggs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gotv Magic - The Musical Chair Model (are We Being Scammed?) by tiwiex(m): 12:02pm On Mar 04, 2016
GoTv debuted a while back i believe in response to Star Times domination of low priced TV subscription. A lot of people like me jumped on the Go Tv wagon. i am not really into sports so it seemed like a great deal at less than N2,000.00 a month. I watch Sony, CNN, Channels and maybe two other channels regularly so it was a great deal. The first surprise was the removal of CI (Crime Investigation) a while back. Now i notice something very strange. Most of the time, many of the channels don't show. Especially all my favourites mentioned above which was the selling point. If you reboot multiple times, you could get lucky and get all the stations back. Initially, I thought it might be a signal issue but my signal is very HIGH.

After sometime of observing this trend, i have come to a simple conclusion. We have been scammed. I think GoTV has a maximum limit of those allowed to see all channels paid for probably due to licensing cost. Rather than increase the fee, they put all the subscribers in a pool and the first set of subscribers to connect get full bouquet while the rest stay in queue. This explains why you can get lucky after a reboot. It is similar to playing musical chairs in a party (anyone ever played that game in a party?) and missing out because there are fewer chairs than contestants. In the game, you have one chair less which means the odd still favour you by much. In the case of GoTV, i won't be surprised if we have 60% full bouquet subscriptions less. So assume you have 1m subscribers, there are only 400k full bouquets up for grabs (Just saying). I have two friends with a similar experience like mine. To prove this, try rebooting in the middle of the night when viewers are few. You would be luckier than peak periods.

I also notice this got worse as subscribers increased + the change in exchange rate. Have we wondered why they have not increased price by much even though dollar ti won.

Has anyone else been experiencing this? I wish this can be pushed to FP. It also falls under business. This is not entertainment oh. We are being scammed big time.
Re: Gotv Magic - The Musical Chair Model (are We Being Scammed?) by Nobody: 8:44pm On Mar 05, 2016
tiwiex:
GoTv debuted a while back i believe in response to Star Times domination of low priced TV subscription. A lot of people like me jumped on the Go Tv wagon. i am not really into sports so it seemed like a great deal at less than N2,000.00 a month. I watch Sony, CNN, Channels and maybe two other channels regularly so it was a great deal. The first surprise was the removal of CI (Crime Investigation) a while back. Now i notice something very strange. Most of the time, many of the channels don't show. Especially all my favourites mentioned above which was the selling point. If you reboot multiple times, you could get lucky and get all the stations back. Initially, I thought it might be a signal issue but my signal is very HIGH.

After sometime of observing this trend, i have come to a simple conclusion. We have been scammed. I think GoTV has a maximum limit of those allowed to see all channels paid for probably due to licensing cost. Rather than increase the fee, they put all the subscribers in a pool and the first set of subscribers to connect get full bouquet while the rest stay in queue. This explains why you can get lucky after a reboot. It is similar to playing musical chairs in a party (anyone ever played that game in a party?) and missing out because there are fewer chairs than contestants. In the game, you have one chair less which means the odd still favour you by much. In the case of GoTV, i won't be surprised if we have 60% full bouquet subscriptions less. So assume you have 1m subscribers, there are only 400k full bouquets up for grabs (Just saying). I have two friends with a similar experience like mine. To prove this, try rebooting in the middle of the night when viewers are few. You would be luckier than peak periods.

I also notice this got worse as subscribers increased + the change in exchange rate. Have we wondered why they have not increased price by much even though dollar ti won.

Has anyone else been experiencing this? I wish this can be pushed to FP. It also falls under business. This is not entertainment oh. We are being scammed big time.

Switch to another pay tv to solve the brouhaha
Re: Gotv Magic - The Musical Chair Model (are We Being Scammed?) by Nobody: 9:04pm On Mar 05, 2016
You"re very right bro. Noticed the same thing. ONTV, NTA, MITV and some stations removed as well. I can only imagine what they have up their sleeve as time unfolds. That is pure scam.
Re: Gotv Magic - The Musical Chair Model (are We Being Scammed?) by FriendNG: 7:54pm On Sep 27, 2017
@tiwiex hello I have send you an email. I want to discuss something with you.

(1) (Reply)

Best Of Sex Mermaids Movies / Top 4 Best Movie To Watch This Month / Politics Of Nollywood: Igbo Marginalising Yoruba?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.