Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,492 members, 7,808,821 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:26 PM

8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships (19299 Views)

10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid / Complete Resource for SCHOLARSHIPS Around The World For Nigerians & Africans / Apply For Scholarships Overseas 2016/2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by study4free(m): 4:41pm On Mar 04, 2016
Applying For Scholarships can be tricky. There are currently several scholarships going on. You can check them out here.

However many students fail to get selected for scholarships, several times, why is this the case?

1. Applying when not eligible: Scholarship schemes are targeted at a specific class of students or audience (200 level students, Medical students, graduates of specified courses etc). Your application is bound to be denied if you do not belong to the desirable audience. Ensure you meet the scholarship requirements before applying.

2. Providing inaccurate or inconsistent information on the application form: Ensure you fill in your information accurately. Even the smallest detail counts, if you were admitted in 2012, enter 2012 not 2013.

3. Not providing complete documentation: Some scholarship schemes specify required documents to be uploaded, ensure you have all listed documents available and upload appropriately.

4. Submitting multiple applications: Create one account and apply using that account only. Applications from a single candidate using multiple accounts will surely be detected.

5. Uploading pictures as passport: Upload an appropriate passport photograph not a picture.

6. Applying to the wrong scheme: For scholarship schemes with multiple scholarship categories i.e Host-community based Scheme (e.g Nigerian Agip Oil Company scholarship scheme) and Merit-based scheme applications (e.g Agbami Medical and Engineering Professionals scholarship) simultaneously open from the same sponsor, ensure you apply to the scheme you are eligible to appropriately.

7. Using a computer centre operator/friends to complete your application: You know yourself better than anyone else, do not hire a computer centre operator or engage your friends to apply on your behalf.

8. It is highly competitive: Thousands of candidates apply for scholarship schemes regularly. This means a good chance that you are not selected even after meeting all the requirements exists. To enhance your chance of selection, ensure your avoid these common mistakes.

If you know of any other things that can likely cause mistakes in scholarship applications, do drop your comments below.

http://study4free.com.ng/8-mistakes-must-avoid-applying-scholarships/

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by busuyem: 4:55pm On Mar 04, 2016
Noted!

1 Like

Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by looseweight: 5:51pm On Mar 04, 2016
Good Info
Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by politricks: 5:52pm On Mar 04, 2016
All the scholarship i applied for was a miss back to back like say them dey follow me.

4 Likes

Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by lonelydora: 5:52pm On Mar 04, 2016
Except PTDF scholarship because na "man know man" dey get am whether you do it well or not.

1 Like

Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by Mopolchi: 5:53pm On Mar 04, 2016
Okay I don hear.
Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by Donfamous(m): 5:54pm On Mar 04, 2016
did everything stated their yet still not shortlisted for many

like Exxon mobile/nnpc, they award mostly akwa ibom and rivers stage indigenes,
agbami awards mostly ondo and Lagos state indigenes
shell, that one is mostly ss and ondo indigenes,
while peeps who are not privileged to come from such areas (oil producing states) are only left with a very minute slots even though their results and applications are spot on.

to be candid most people knows the requirements but not just opportune because of state of origin issue

2 Likes

Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by Wizzy14418(m): 5:54pm On Mar 04, 2016
This is good...thanks op
Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by Nobody: 5:54pm On Mar 04, 2016
OK
Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by Deivid10(m): 5:54pm On Mar 04, 2016
I purposely did not want to comment.
Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by wizgrin(m): 5:54pm On Mar 04, 2016
grin thank God I make Front page today grin
Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by Nobody: 5:55pm On Mar 04, 2016
Tnx bt I don't do scholarship !!
Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by skywalker495(m): 5:56pm On Mar 04, 2016
OK...

Finally made FP

2 Likes

Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by Ekowise(m): 5:57pm On Mar 04, 2016
Thanks for the tips.
Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by politricks: 5:57pm On Mar 04, 2016
Lacomus:
Tnx bt I don't do scholarship !!
Only scholarplane right?

1 Like

Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by Abukc(m): 5:58pm On Mar 04, 2016
Thnks for the info
Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by Nobody: 5:59pm On Mar 04, 2016
One scholarship am going for demands that I must have engaged in a charity work with a reference letter from the charity organisation ( privilege info from one of their beneficiaries )

I have done the charity work, but the CEO of the organisation is not helping matters with the reference letter saying am not part of the organisation (After helping them to run a charity Road show)

Am thinking of getting a reference letter online. Hope they won't be able to detect it?
Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by KayTash(m): 6:02pm On Mar 04, 2016
buhari why
Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by Nobody: 6:02pm On Mar 04, 2016
end time scholarship
Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by Kangol99(m): 6:03pm On Mar 04, 2016
Thanks for d tips
Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by orlarbissy(f): 6:07pm On Mar 04, 2016
Thanks for the information @ OP
Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by cana882(m): 6:08pm On Mar 04, 2016
Op please what are the available scholarships for medical students that's ongoing?
Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 6:17pm On Mar 04, 2016
lonelydora:
Except PTDF scholarship because na "man know man" dey get am whether you do it well or not.
Not true! At least when I got it.
Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by GreatManBee: 6:18pm On Mar 04, 2016
study4free:
Applying For Scholarships can be tricky. There are currently several scholarships going on. You can check them out here.

However many students fail to get selected for scholarships, several times, why is this the case?

1. Applying when not eligible: Scholarship schemes are targeted at a specific class of students or audience (200 level students, Medical students, graduates of specified courses etc). Your application is bound to be denied if you do not belong to the desirable audience. Ensure you meet the scholarship requirements before applying.

2. Providing inaccurate or inconsistent information on the application form: Ensure you fill in your information accurately. Even the smallest detail counts, if you were admitted in 2012, enter 2012 not 2013.

3. Not providing complete documentation: Some scholarship schemes specify required documents to be uploaded, ensure you have all listed documents available and upload appropriately.

4. Submitting multiple applications: Create one account and apply using that account only. Applications from a single candidate using multiple accounts will surely be detected.

5. Uploading pictures as passport: Upload an appropriate passport photograph not a picture.

6. Applying to the wrong scheme: For scholarship schemes with multiple scholarship categories i.e Host-community based Scheme (e.g Nigerian Agip Oil Company scholarship scheme) and Merit-based scheme applications (e.g Agbami Medical and Engineering Professionals scholarship) simultaneously open from the same sponsor, ensure you apply to the scheme you are eligible to appropriately.

7. Using a computer centre operator/friends to complete your application: You know yourself better than anyone else, do not hire a computer centre operator or engage your friends to apply on your behalf.

8. It is highly competitive: Thousands of candidates apply for scholarship schemes regularly. This means a good chance that you are not selected even after meeting all the requirements exists. To enhance your chance of selection, ensure your avoid these common mistakes.

If you know of any other things that can likely cause mistakes in scholarship applications, do drop your comments below.

http://study4free.com.ng/8-mistakes-must-avoid-applying-scholarships/

Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by lonelydora: 6:21pm On Mar 04, 2016
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

Not true! At least when I got it.

I know a friend that didn't even apply not to mention taking the test all because his uncle is one of the directors. That was in 2008 set.

Well, I got mine genuinely but refused to go because of my job. Afterall, all na hustle.
Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by GboyegaD(m): 6:22pm On Mar 04, 2016
lonelydora:

I do not agree because I have at least 3 friends who got this scholarship on merit. Some might also get theirs through cutting corners no doubt.

1 Like

Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 6:24pm On Mar 04, 2016
lonelydora:

I know a friend that didn't even apply not to mention taking the test all because his uncle is one of the directors. That was in 2008 set.

Well, I got mine genuinely but refused to go because of my job. Afterall, all na hustle.
There are several people that get it through their connections but there is much room for merit. I got mine in 2008 too

1 Like

Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by Nobody: 6:25pm On Mar 04, 2016
politricks:
Only scholarplane right?
LoL, yu no well ooo grin grin grin
Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by GboyegaD(m): 6:25pm On Mar 04, 2016
I will also add that a good statement of intent on how the scholarship would benefit you, how your program will make you a better person, why your choice of program and school will also help a long way in pushing your application to the top.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by Nobody: 6:30pm On Mar 04, 2016
I find this useful!
Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by Nobody: 6:32pm On Mar 04, 2016
Useful info for Nigerian undeegrads
Re: 8 Mistakes You Must Avoid While Applying For Scholarships by eph12(m): 6:47pm On Mar 04, 2016
How is number 8 a mistake?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

ESAE University 2016/2017 Admission / ASUU Strike: What's Next If Demands Are Not Met By May 15? / University Of Ibadan Produces 26 First Class Graduates At The Law School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.