Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:12 AM

Obasanjo Tasks International Community On Global Insecurity. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Tasks International Community On Global Insecurity. (482 Views)

Biafra : FGN Under Pressure, Warns International Community, Plans Genocide. / Biafra: Fg Warns International Community / GEJ Warns International Community To Be Wary Of Lai Mohd's Lies On His FB Page (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Obasanjo Tasks International Community On Global Insecurity. by Dangbo(m): 5:00pm On Mar 05, 2016
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Friday challenged the international community to rise up to the challenges of global insecurity,urging them to engender justice , fairness and understanding in their relationship with others.

He advised the international leaders not fold their arms at the detriment of their citizens .

He said this gesture was the only way to ensure sustainable peace, as opposed to the current pockets of insurgency in some countries across the globe.

Obasanjo stated this at the 2016 National Summit and 4th International Colloquium,with the theme,’Human Security,Violent Extremism and Radicalisation seeking a Sustainable Solutions’ at his 79 birthday,which was organised by Centre for Human Security,held at Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library,Abeokuta.

He pointed out that,international community should also be cautious of need to ensure there is justice and fairness in whatever they are doing towards battling insecurity,stressing that that was only way to sustainable peace.

He said “I went to Syria when I was President of Nigeria,one of the places I was taken to was refuge camp,where those refugees have been since 1948,nothing is been done to them. How do you want their children to think’,he stated.

“In Norway,I met some members of the Talibans,we spent two days together. They are in the second echelon of the leadership,I was told the top ones will not come out,and when we listened to them,we are bound to say yes,they can get something better than they were getting’, Obasanjo said .

While speaking on the roles of parents on the situation of the country, Obasanjo Using a Yoruba proverb, said,”There is a Yoruba adage that says ‘four eyes give birth to a child, 200 eyes will nurture such a child.’ When we were young, it took the whole community to raise a child. All that no longer exist.

“Do we have homes today or houses? Parents have neglected their duty of proper upbringing of their children. They expect the schools to mould their children for them.

“If we do not get it right from home,we have started loosing the battle.”

The former president also noted that the challenge of impunity was another cause for concern, because according to him “we do everything with impunity.”

In his paper presentation, the Vice-Chancellor, University of Maiduguri, Prof. Ibrahim Ndoji, said education being the bedrock of development, remained the only potent weapon against violent extremism.

He noted that as the nation continued its search for solutions to violence, extremism and radicalism, government all levels, must provide functional education to the populace, especially the youth who were potential targets for recruitment.

cc

lalasticala

mynd44

ijebaby

Source: http://www.newsfacebook.co.uk/2016/03/obasanjo-tasks-international-community.html

Re: Obasanjo Tasks International Community On Global Insecurity. by slimthugchimee(m): 5:05pm On Mar 05, 2016
h
Re: Obasanjo Tasks International Community On Global Insecurity. by jane0000(f): 5:10pm On Mar 05, 2016
Baba Iyabo d most experience Nigeria president grin

(1) (Reply)

NNPC Restructuring Is Illegal-Falana / Boko Haram Still Holds Territory In Nigeria - U.S. General / NFF Never Paid Me N20M -sunday Oliseh Releases Evidence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.