Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know (52702 Views)

Nigerian Christians Protesting In Akure Against Killings In Benue And Others / Why Do Nigerian Christians Avoid Naming Their Children Jesus? / Sam Omatseye: "Nigerian Christians Should Arm Themselves Against Attacks" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by NJPot(m): 10:01am On Mar 06, 2016
[img]http://4.bp..com/-s-HudAZnhb8/VjM4mdOh7PI/AAAAAAAACcw/v7AqtViCzEA/s640/kill%2Byour%2Benemies.jpeg[/img]

2000 years ago, a new way of life was born. A way of agape love, simplicity, righteousness and truth. A way of imitating Jesus Christ who suffered to redeem mankind from the power of death. A way of life introduced to us by unselfish missionaries from Europe. This way of life which is called Christianity today is under treat in Nigeria. It is gradually losing it’s value and taste as a result of some negative attitudes of the believers. Let me quickly identify 10 ways Nigerian Christians are killing Christianity but don’t know.

1. False Prophesy: Simply put, any prophesy that did not eventually come to pass is a false prophesy. Many Christian leaders in the country are fond of making predictions out of their own imaginations or dreams claiming they were revelations from God. Failure of such prophesies makes caricature of Christianity.

2. Hypocrisy: This is the worst killer. Majority of Nigerian Christians are hypocrites. Some pastors, reverend fathers, bishops and so on give sound preaching but don’t live by their words. They do opposite of what they preach. Also, our Christian politicians are not Christ-like in their leadership. How can a Christian governor owe workers and pensioners for over six months even after the federal government has released bailout funds. They still go to church on Sundays to raise their hands up in praise and worship. Church ceiling fan will cut off such hands one day.

3. Mixing Christianity with paganism: Reading Zodiac signs, osu caste system, animal and human sacrifices and other superstitious practices are still rampant despite the numerous churches in the nooks and crannies of the country. Some Christians would even go to any length to defend such practices in the name of preserving their culture and tradition. What about Christians including pastors who patronize native doctors? Some use charms to perform signs and wonders and to win souls for their churches. Some belong to occult societies and still go to church. It is very common in Nigeria to see someone who is both a member of a Christian denomination and Ogboni confraternity or any other evil cult. This is destroying the Christian faith.

4. 'Men of God' milking their shepherds while living ostentatiously: Our pastors are cruising expensive cars, acquiring private jets and living in multimillion naira mansions while majority of their followers live in poverty. No wonder they lay too much emphasis on paying of tithes and seed sowing. They lick the asses of corrupt politicians instead of telling them the truth point-blank. This lifestyle is gradually killing the credibility of the Christian faith.
5. Fornication receiving little or no condemnation compared to other sexual sins: Sometimes I wonder if gays and lesbians will go to a hotter part of hell fire than fornicators and adulterers. Boyfriend and girlfriend relationship is on the increase among the Christian youths. Baby mamas are now celebrated. Pre-marital sex is no longer viewed as a taboo. It is very common to hear of a Christian thanking God for delivering him from the spirit of masturbation while the person is still a fornicator. This is self-deception and a distortion of Christianity which strictly condemns all sexual immoralities.

6. Praying and wishing evil for their enemies: Christ, who Christians claim to follow, taught them to love and pray for their enemies. On the contrary, Nigerian Christians hate and pray for the death of their enemies. “Die by fire”, “holy ghost fire them” and so on are common prayers in many churches today. Judging our enemies and wishing them dead is fake Christianity.

7. Lack of charity: When last as a Christian did you help the poor or someone in need without looking for something in return? Many Christians show less concern for the less privileged. They show more interest in tithing and seed sowing for their progress forgetting that agape love is the most important thing in the Christian faith.

8. Associating God with prosperity: Nowadays, if you are rich, it means that God is with you. Poverty is seen as a curse. Most churches now preach prosperity more than salvation. The rich are being celebrated as those favoured by God. This stupid mentality promotes corruption and is gradually killing Christianity in our country.

9 Weird church adverts and programs: Just in the name of attracting members, many churches have devised somewhat weird means of seducing people to their church services. Some use popular celebrities to draw crowds to their churches. For instance, of what spiritual value is it to feature Terry G, Mama G, Wizkid, I Go Dye and so on in a Christian program? Some churches also use funny posters and attractive themes to lure people to their church. I have seen church posters with themes like ‘miracle extravaganza’, ‘prison break’, ‘auntie wetin I do you’, ‘who tie the goat’ and so on. This makes Christianity look like a joke.

10. Denominations fighting one another: Some Christian denominations believe that they are the genuine Christians and members of other Christian denominations would all go to hell. They fight one another with hate words and sometimes the fight goes physical. Instead of thinking of ways to dialogue and unite, more Christian denominations are being created. Sometimes, I begin to wonder if there are more than one Jesus Christ.

262 Likes 41 Shares

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by NJPot(m): 10:04am On Mar 06, 2016
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by drstainlex: 10:06am On Mar 06, 2016
FTC...anything is possible
RIP Ugo. A 100 level Microbiology student from DELSU Abraka.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by SomaliGuy7(m): 10:07am On Mar 06, 2016
NO ONE CARES

1 Like

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by SUPERPACK: 10:17am On Mar 06, 2016
i think christianity should revert to the use of the old testament because the new testament have given people soft landing for their sins. Time has come for us to start using::
1. an eye for an eye.
2. kill and be killed
3. curse God and die
4. Commit adultery or fornication and face the music.
extreme time require extreme measures.

19 Likes

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by kimond101: 10:24am On Mar 06, 2016
11. Not worshipping God the way the Bible prescribed

Nehemiah 8New International Version (NIV)

1 all the people came together as one in the square before the Water Gate. They told Ezra the teacher of the Law to bring out the Book of the Law of Moses, which the Lord had commanded for Israel.

2 So on the first day of the seventh month Ezra the priest brought the Law before the assembly, which was made up of men and women and all who were able to understand. 3 He read it aloud from daybreak till noon as he faced the square before the Water Gate in the presence of the men, women and others who could understand. And all the people listened attentively to the Book of the Law.

4 Ezra the teacher of the Law stood on a high wooden platform built for the occasion. Beside him on his right stood Mattithiah, Shema, Anaiah, Uriah, Hilkiah and Maaseiah; and on his left were Pedaiah, Mishael, Malkijah, Hashum, Hashbaddanah, Zechariah and Meshullam.

5 Ezra opened the book. All the people could see him because he was standing above them; and as he opened it, the people all stood up. 6 Ezra praised the Lord, the great God; and all the people lifted their hands and responded, “Amen! Amen!” Then they bowed down and worshiped the Lord with their faces to the ground.

7 The Levites—Jeshua, Bani, Sherebiah, Jamin, Akkub, Shabbethai, Hodiah, Maaseiah, Kelita, Azariah, Jozabad, Hanan and Pelaiah—instructed the people in the Law while the people were standing there. 8 They read from the Book of the Law of God, making it clear[a] and giving the meaning so that the people understood what was being read.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every prophets mentioned in the monotheistic religions used this Way of saying thanks or praying to GOD, the postures use is also beneficial when you are at a mediated state of mind (also it improves your respiratory functions which is miraculous) since this question is specific on Jesus, in Islamic context we believe he worshipped GOD in this way, as Muslim believes he was not lord himself as there is one God! However prior to Jesus many prophets before him prayed in this way. Since the modern alternatives being adapted into the Christian faith this way of praying may not have been highly interpreted or used as Islam brought the 5 times prayer system where muhammad constantly used the same posture for his prayers.

However, please see below references to illustrates the same :

These are some of the Prophets whom GOD blessed. They were chosen from among the descendants of Adam, and the descendants of those whom we carried with Noah, and the descendants of Abraham and Israel, and from among those whom we guided and selected. When the revelations of the Most Gracious are recited to them, they fall prostrate, weeping." – Qur’an English Translation [19:58]

"And he (Jesus) went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." - New Testament (Matthew 26:39)

"And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid." - New Testament (Matthew 17:6)

"And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying," - Old Testament (Tanakh) (Genesis 17:3)

"Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall a child be born unto him that is an hundred years old? and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear?" - Old Testament (Tanakh) (Genesis 17:17)

"And Moses made haste, and bowed his head toward the earth, and worshipped." - Old Testament (Tanakh) (Exodus 34:cool

“And Moses and Aaron went from the presence of the assembly unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and they fell upon their faces: and the glory of the LORD appeared unto them.” - Old Testament (Tanakh) (Numbers 20:6)

"And the LORD spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, saying, Separate yourselves from among this congregation, that I may consume them in a moment. And they fell upon their faces, and said, O God, the God of the spirits of all flesh, shall one man sin, and wilt thou be wroth with all the congregation?" - Old Testament (Tanakh) (Numbers 16:20-22)

And Ezra blessed the LORD, the great God. And all the people answered, Amen, Amen, with lifting up their hands: and they bowed their heads, and worshipped the LORD with [their] faces to the ground. - Old Testament (Tanakh) (Nehemiah 8:6)

"And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my Lord unto his servant?" - Old Testament (Tanakh) (Joshua 5:14)

"And it came to pass, while they were slaying them, and I was left, that I fell upon my face, and cried, and said, Ah Lord GOD! wilt thou destroy all the residue of Israel in thy pouring out of thy fury upon Jerusalem?" - Old Testament (Tanakh) (Ezekiel 9:cool

"And Jehoshaphat bowed his head with his face to the ground: and all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem fell before the LORD, worshipping the LORD." - Old Testament (Tanakh) (2 Chronicles 20:18)

"And it came to pass, when I prophesied, that Pelatiah the son of Benaiah died. Then fell I down upon my face, and cried with a loud voice, and said, Ah Lord GOD! wilt thou make a full end of the remnant of Israel?" - Old Testament (Tanakh) (Ezekiel 11:13)

101 Likes 16 Shares

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by Royalmic24(m): 10:24am On Mar 06, 2016

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by Nobody: 10:25am On Mar 06, 2016
That's how they've successfully frustrated me out of church. My house is now my church and my church is my house

"They asked me why I don't go to church no more
Cause church is the new club and wine is the new bub
And lies is the new drugs
My sister the next stripper, my brother the next victim
My usher the next tricker"
- A$AP ROCKY

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by ROCKHARDDK(m): 10:25am On Mar 06, 2016
KuliKuli kpon kan ti di naira kan. Una go talk oun te ri lobe te fi wa iru sowo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by Nobody: 10:25am On Mar 06, 2016
Christians killing Christianity ND still be forming holier dan thou

4 Likes

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by ateizaa(m): 10:25am On Mar 06, 2016
Na wa
Hmmm
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by Sasuwa(f): 10:26am On Mar 06, 2016
Expecially CAN for politicizing it leadership , naija christains are hypocrite , them go form holy but devilish in nairaland romance section good op but for students like me , u can post ur physics assignment, questions and get it solved

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by obinna2nv(m): 10:26am On Mar 06, 2016
Good Read. The one that gets to me is the hostility among Christians. Someone will travel out of town, because the nearby Church is not his/her denomination. He/She will stay back home.

You see people losing their God given life partner because of where the wedding ceremony will be held, or which denomination to attend as a couple really?

I remembered when I was in NYSC camp, the Muslims had just the one mosque, but Christians had NCCF, Deeper life corpers, Anglican corpers Redeemed corpers, Catholic corpers, Winners Corpers, etc etc. The God of this church and that church, or this Man of God or that Pastor. What madness!!

70 Likes 14 Shares

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by fasho01(m): 10:26am On Mar 06, 2016
Well said
Hope they'll listen
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by RoyalBoutique(m): 10:27am On Mar 06, 2016
Leave catholics out of this.

It's all these new generation churches with "pastors" and "men of god" that do that.

Catholics no get time for long thing, always straight to the point.

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by binsanni(m): 10:27am On Mar 06, 2016
End time relligion. Am proud being a muslim

68 Likes 11 Shares

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by nigeriapolitics(f): 10:27am On Mar 06, 2016
Very true but not only in Christianity

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by laurel03(m): 10:30am On Mar 06, 2016
CAC and MFM no dey joke wt enemies tinz.... Anybody dt is planning evil against us will not succeed IJN...
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by oduastates: 10:31am On Mar 06, 2016
A Christian crusader jihadist post right there.
Such a hypocritical post.
You should have added

11 christains should not use computers and mobile phones because the inventors are gays , atheist and children of satan.

That idea that theirs are religions better than others even though at their core, they are backward and have not yet attained the level the Ifa religion attained 1000 years ago.
The Yoruba religion has an humanist core . The reason why it is spreading like wildfire amongst the enlighten all over the world .
You refer to traditional religions as paganism and made mention of sacrifices .
What exactly are those turkey , cocks and goats killed during Christmas and Easter if not the celebration of paganism ? Even the bible and Koran stole most of their myths , stories and teachings from ancient Egyptian pagan beliefs
They are not original.
Plant sacrifice?
Talking about blood and human misery , it will take a million years for the so called pagans to match the quantity of blood shed by you Abrahamic( Islam and Christainity ) adherents.
I am only talking about the blood shed in you r holy books here. Not talking about those not there.
I will take the pagans who express my culture , values and traditions over confused folks anytime .
Yorubas Pagans like these practicing the yoruba religion in the purest form and who will form a major part of the future Yoruba empire.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by Nobody: 10:31am On Mar 06, 2016
W
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by Horlufemi(m): 10:32am On Mar 06, 2016
binsanni:
End time relligion. Am proud being a muslim

Islam is worse. Fundamental Islam is an affront to humanity.

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by emeths: 10:32am On Mar 06, 2016
hmmmm!
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by leofab(f): 10:32am On Mar 06, 2016
Hipocrism is the nickname for Christians in Nigeria.. Very quick to label other school of thought evil.. They are worst than Islamic jihads.

I just wonder if apostle Paul mistakenly wrote on one of his epistle that "killin a fellow is the shortest cut to heaven"

The real zombies are the Nigerian Christians and Muslim... Their brains has been derided and replaced with tissues papers...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by Nobody: 10:32am On Mar 06, 2016
Alhamdulillaah

18 Likes

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by tobechi20(m): 10:32am On Mar 06, 2016
Lies
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by hungryboy(m): 10:33am On Mar 06, 2016
I still remember working for one contractor like that were dey too like quote Bible for every situation, that man paid us the worst wage we have ever earned, and he treated us badly too,
Since that day, i no dey judge human being again based on how many Bible or Quoran him carry for him Motor, or his ability to quote bible verses or recite the Quoran off hand,

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by jreyez(m): 10:33am On Mar 06, 2016
This country and religion.
Churches - companies
Pastors - business MEN.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by Nobody: 10:33am On Mar 06, 2016
It's all signs of the end time

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by olaide92(m): 10:33am On Mar 06, 2016
hmmmm
Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by DrayZee: 10:34am On Mar 06, 2016
kimond101:
11. Not worshipping God the way the Bible prescribed

Nehemiah 8New International Version (NIV)

1 all the people came together as one in the square before the Water Gate. They told Ezra the teacher of the Law to bring out the Book of the Law of Moses, which the Lord had commanded for Israel.

2 So on the first day of the seventh month Ezra the priest brought the Law before the assembly, which was made up of men and women and all who were able to understand. 3 He read it aloud from daybreak till noon as he faced the square before the Water Gate in the presence of the men, women and others who could understand. And all the people listened attentively to the Book of the Law.

4 Ezra the teacher of the Law stood on a high wooden platform built for the occasion. Beside him on his right stood Mattithiah, Shema, Anaiah, Uriah, Hilkiah and Maaseiah; and on his left were Pedaiah, Mishael, Malkijah, Hashum, Hashbaddanah, Zechariah and Meshullam.

5 Ezra opened the book. All the people could see him because he was standing above them; and as he opened it, the people all stood up. 6 Ezra praised the Lord, the great God; and all the people lifted their hands and responded, “Amen! Amen!” Then they bowed down and worshiped the Lord with their faces to the ground.

7 The Levites—Jeshua, Bani, Sherebiah, Jamin, Akkub, Shabbethai, Hodiah, Maaseiah, Kelita, Azariah, Jozabad, Hanan and Pelaiah—instructed the people in the Law while the people were standing there. 8 They read from the Book of the Law of God, making it clear[a] and giving the meaning so that the people understood what was being read.

That is the way they did it at that time not a prescription from the Bible.
If that's the way it's supposed to be, that means everybody in the New Testament: the disciples, Paul, even Jesus were all doing nonsense.
Don't say what you don't understand.
#KnowThyself

12 Likes

Re: 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know by ITbomb(m): 10:34am On Mar 06, 2016
One day I was listening to some church across the street through their loudspeaker and something dawned on me; it was sounding as a joke, I swear if I was not raised a christian, I would be thinking Christians are jokers.

The greatest undoing of Christianity is the attitude that the Christian faith starts and stops in the church.
Nigeria would have been a better country if Christians live their faith as a way of life like the Muslims. This hypocrisy is our worst enemy

18 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Primate Ayodele: "I Warned Keshi, Wrote A Letter To Him" / Masquerade Uses Statue Of Jesus Christ For His Performance. See Reactions / South African Pastor 'Heals' Woman's 'Vagina Pimples' With His Shoe (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.