Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,749 members, 7,802,294 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:04 PM

Thread For Health Safety And Environment Personnel. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Thread For Health Safety And Environment Personnel. (1734 Views)

What Is Health Safety And Environment (HSE)? / Enquiries: Chartered Institute Of Personnel Management [CIPM] Membership / Immigration Service To Reinstate 2000 Sacked Personnel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thread For Health Safety And Environment Personnel. by Nobody: 6:47pm On Mar 07, 2016
Hello People... This thread is opened to sensitize people on d importance of Health and Safety @ all times and also for us to share our experience in our respective companies, the challanges we face, the good tidings of each companies and compare it with each.

Let me set the Ball rolling.

Im from an Environmental Engr Tech background but back then in sch i used to feel safety was of less importance in work not until i ventured into it and found out that dias more to it than just d simple acronym HSE

@ d moment i work in as an HSE personnel but i can tell you. Its very challenging trying to enforce d real standard of what workplace safety ought to be but for me as long as my conscience doesnt trickle me then i good to go.

Attimes when i watch the video footage of incidents and accidents i begin to see reasons why they say human beings are higher animals.

So my fellow HSE People in the house be it occupational Health, Public health Practitioner etc. share ur experience. This thread is also not limited to only one sector please.

Everyone is welcomed Please feel free to share yours.
Re: Thread For Health Safety And Environment Personnel. by Nobody: 7:17pm On Mar 07, 2016
coolcoolYaay. ..
Re: Thread For Health Safety And Environment Personnel. by Nobody: 7:29pm On Mar 07, 2016
Sempumping:
coolcoolYaay. ..
Share ur experience
Re: Thread For Health Safety And Environment Personnel. by Nobody: 7:52pm On Mar 07, 2016
HSE Personnel. .Still searching for a job ,I was excited when i saw the thread , I have been searching for something like this on this platform for a while .....

I hope to learn and pray i ll get a job from this ....
Re: Thread For Health Safety And Environment Personnel. by Nobody: 8:38pm On Mar 07, 2016
Sempumping:
HSE Personnel. .Still searching for a job ,I was excited when i saw the thread , I have been searching for something like this on this platform for a while .....

I hope to learn and pray i ll get a job from this ....
Ohk. dats gr8. U shall surely get d job. Just keep being optimistic. It demand dedication n comitment. continous studying to know current trends

Hope u ve got some Safety certifications
Re: Thread For Health Safety And Environment Personnel. by Greatken007(m): 4:29am On Mar 10, 2016
https://www.nairaland.com/190295/hse-professionals-house... There is already an existing forum like this here on nairaland, follow the above link,
Re: Thread For Health Safety And Environment Personnel. by Nobody: 8:23pm On Mar 10, 2016
Greatken007:
https://www.nairaland.com/190295/hse-professionals-house... There is already an existing forum like this here on nairaland, follow the above link,
Yea. I knew it existed b4 creating this however d scope of the thread u mentioned centered round acquiring certifications i ve not read how u relate ur certification to case scenarios. However it may interest u to know that dis dayz no one is interested in ur certifications cos u can acquire certifications if u av ur dough. But they are more interested in how u put ur certifications into work practise. HSE profesional is not by acquiring certificate but ur experience. This can also help those who hasnt got d experience on what it entails. Thank U.
Re: Thread For Health Safety And Environment Personnel. by Boltam(f): 5:07pm On Mar 11, 2016
have been looking for something like this...no experience yet..stil job hunting.....hope to learn from the thread
Re: Thread For Health Safety And Environment Personnel. by Greatken007(m): 5:54am On Mar 12, 2016
Your objective well defined... Now I can follow you up
Re: Thread For Health Safety And Environment Personnel. by Nobody: 3:57pm On Mar 15, 2016
akinsal:

Ohk. dats gr8. U shall surely get d job. Just keep being optimistic. It demand dedication n comitment. continous studying to know current trends

Hope u ve got some Safety certifications

Thanks... I have the Basic and NEBOSH
Re: Thread For Health Safety And Environment Personnel. by Nobody: 6:25pm On Mar 15, 2016
Got these excerpts i got from someone although it may seem Unimportant but i think is Very necesary especially for those who desire to be an HSE Person.

Helen Cameron - Senior Health and Safety Officer with Worcester City Council

How long have you been in this particular job / industry?

12 years

What do you do in a typical day at work?

Currently I work in an enforcement role for a local authority which includes routine inspections of a wide range of premises (from children's nurseries to catering, gyms, shops, tyre fitters, hairdressers), accident and complaint investigation and specific project work, e.g. hairdressers, slips, trips and falls. The Health & Safety Executive inspects garages, building sites, chemical plants, railways, hospitals, etc. The role in private sector work is very similar but industry specific. Large companies will have their own Health and Safety officers. Small to medium enterprises can often do it themselves with either local authority support or external advice.

What do you like about the job?

No two days are ever the same and it's a great job for meeting a wide range of people from individuals on the shop floor to managing directors.

What do you dislike about the job?

H&S is still unimportant to some organisations which means it can be an uphill struggle to implement improvements. The other issue is that H&S has become a bit of a joke due to the impression that the media give about H&S. The need for H&S to be managed has been hi-jacked by those who use it as an excuse to refuse events, flower baskets, swings and playing with conkers etc because of concerns over costs and personal injury claims.

What advice would you give to someone thinking of doing this job?

Firstly, go for it but don't always expect to be popular or listened to. Secondly, you need to be people oriented to get things done and thirdly, it is not highly paid but rewarding in other ways.

What other inside-information can you give to help people considering this career?

H&S is a complex and sometimes challenging field of work. You need to be tenacious and persistent to succeed. Legislation requires a 'competent person' to deal with H&S, the level of which will vary according to the type of business. A small low risk business, e.g. small shop, can get by with background reading and advice from their enforcing authority. For many areas you will, however, need an appropriate level of training. This could range from a basic CIEH (Chartered Institute of Environmental Health) certificate, NVQs or a full NEBOSH diploma or a University Masters; the latter are essential requirements if you work in high risk areas such as transport, chemicals, or building etc. Whatever route you take, expect to go on having to update your knowledge to prove competency. Individuals can also train in specific areas such as manual handling, risk assessment, fire etc.

What Skills are required

you will need to be calm with the ability to work in potentially high-stress environments. For example you may have to advise and create a case for prosecution following a death or serious accident at work. This may involve taking photographic evidence of the incident.

1. communication skills are paramount

2. technical skills, as mentioned in the qualifications section above

3. you will be expected to work efficiently with other professionals but HSOs are largely responsible for building and maintaining their own inspection records. You will therefore need to be self-motivated and well organised.

4. in some industries you might have to use ladders or go on scaffolding, into roof spaces or work in factories or in outdoor conditionsetc. so an unfit person is likely to struggle in these environments.

5. you will need to be able to think on your feet at times to try and resolve dangerous situations

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 IT Certifications Of 2017 / Understanding Theoretical Framework And Conceptual Framework / How Easy Getting Oil &gas Career Jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.