Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,915 members, 7,806,660 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:03 PM

Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: (8611 Views)

Palm Wine In Islam / Is Contraception Allowed In Islam??? / Cousin Marriage in Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: by Amoto94(m): 2:57pm On Mar 08, 2016
Fertility Issues and Contraception

The Choice To Have Children

Fertility is the ability to produce children. Muslims believe fertility is a blessing from Allah. Most people in our times have the choice of having children or not. Many people nowadays wish to have a fulfilling sex-life without having children. To achieve this means that they must use some form of contraception. Contraception is a method used to prevent pregnancy taking place. This can be in form of a drug (a pill), or a barrier (such as a condom), or ‘coitus interruptus’ or ‘withdrawal’ (where the man does not allow his sperm to enter the vagina of the woman). If things go “wrong”, emergency contraception (the “morning-after pill”) is available as an option nowadays.

The question is: What is the Islamic perspective on childbirth and contraception? In Islam, children are believed to be a gift from Allah, and childbirth is encouraged. Unlike some other faiths, Islam has no problem with a married couple enjoying intimate marital relations with one another. Indeed it is one of the main reasons for marriage in Islam. However, also from the goals of marriage in Islam is to have children that can be raised as pious Muslims, who worship Allah alone and lead righteous, good lives, benefitting themselves and others. However, there are situations wherein Muslims are permitted to use contraception.

A Companion of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) called Jābir (may Allah be pleased with him) said: “We used to practice ‘withdrawal’ during the time of Allāh’s Messenger, and he heard of that but did not forbid us.” (Reported by Muslim in his Saheeh) On an occasion a man asked the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) about ‘withdrawal’ saying: “A man would have sexual relations with his wife who is breastfeeding a newborn, and he dislikes that she should get pregnant [again].” The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) replied: “You do not have to stop ‘withdrawal’. Allah has not decreed a soul except that it will be created.” (Reported by Muslim). So these narrations prove that safe forms of contraception are allowed for a good reason and need. However, in Islam, contraception and birth prevention is generally discouraged. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Get married so that on the Day of Judgement I will display you outnumbering the other nations. And do not practice celibacy like the Christians.” (Al-Bayhaqee, and authenticated by Al-Albānee). Note also from this hadith we understand that if Allah wills a child, then it will occur.

The Muslim scholars have discussed the situations wherein contraception is permitted. Shaikh Al-Albānee said: “If the use of contraception is based on the advice of trustworthy doctors in order to guard the wife’s health that has been adversely affected by having too many children, then this is allowed. However, if the incentive to use contraception is fear of poverty and financial loss, then it is not permitted.” (Al-Hāwee min Fatāwa, 2/14, abridged).

Shaikh Ibn `Uthaimeen stated: “If a woman wished to organise her pregnancies to one every two years or so, then it is permissible to use contraception with the condition that her husband permits that, and that it does not cause her harm. The evidence for this is that the Companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) performed `Azl (withdrawal prior to the sperm entering the woman) during the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) so that their wives would not get pregnant, and they were not prohibited from that.” (Fatāwa wa Rasā’il lin-Nisā, p. 87 – abridged).

These scholarly rulings bring forth other important factors: 1. That the use of contraception is a decision that is decided by both the husband and wife and not only the wife, nor only the husband, after considering whether the reasons are valid. 2. Since Islam forbids sex outside marriage, contraception is only discussed in the context of marriage. 3. Contraception in the form of drugs and chemicals are not permitted if they cause harm to the body. 4. Permanent methods of contraception (such as sterilization) are forbidden in Islam, unless there is a danger for the mother’s life or great harm. This is because one of the goals of marriage is to have children, and sterilization permanently prevents conception and childbirth. 5. Withdrawal was the most commonly practiced form of contraception in early Islam, but today other safe methods are permitted.

“Contraception” in the form of the morning-after pill is forbidden in Islam, as it is considered an “early abortion”. Refer to sheet “Ethics 1.4 Abortion” which discusses the limited situations where abortion is permitted.

Fertility Problems

This refers to either the husband or wife finding it difficult to have children. Centuries ago great Muslim scholars such as Ibnul-Qayyim discussed the merits of Prophetic and natural medicine to help with fertility problems – Islam has no issue with the use of medicine to aid with fertility as long as the treatment does not involve things forbidden in Islam or harmful chemicals. Advancements in modern medicine and science has led to treatments that may help with fertility. There is no problem with this. Shaikh Ibn `Uthaimeen in his Fatawa volume 17 has stated that there is no problem with these treatments if there is a need for it. Some people wrongly believe that ‘scientists have taken over from Allah in deciding who should have children.’ Allah has stated: “And no person can ever die except by Allah’s permission and at an appointed time.” (Qur’an 3:145) Muslims believe that whatever is pre-decreed by Allah will occur, so a person merely strives to get the best out of his situation, and the rest is in the Hands of Allah. In this regard, a Muslim embraces any proven medical or scientific advancement so long as it is not forbidden (e.g. contains pork, alcohol, etc) and it is does not cause harm. Furthermore it is authentically reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Strive in attaining that which will benefit you and seek Allah’s aid and do not sit back without acting.” (Sahīh Muslim)
www.abukhadeejah.com/fertility-issues-and-contraception-in-islam-the-choice-to-have-children-ethics-1-6/

15 Likes

Re: Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: by ademoladeji(m): 7:28am On Mar 09, 2016
Enlightening...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: by Saheed69(m): 11:27am On Mar 11, 2016
Jazakaallhu khyran may bless you for this enlightenment

2 Likes

Re: Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: by kolardzy(m): 11:31am On Mar 11, 2016
JAZAKUMULLAH KHAIR YA AKHIwink smiley

2 Likes

Re: Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: by olaglamour(f): 11:38am On Mar 11, 2016
Beautiful write up. I got something from this

1 Like

Re: Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: by Nobody: 11:42am On Mar 11, 2016
I disagree with the morning after pill. I find it hard to agree that a thing is a being.

Although I agree with the aspect of having children but unless you have experienced or witnessed families would ordinarily would have been able to manage the few resources they have with two or three kids but decided to go for six children, you cannot categorically say that it is forbidden to plan according to your purse.

We don't live in welfarist state. We live in a world where you and your kids will suffer if you make adequate plans. The world will overlook two or three kids if you are poor but not six kidsundecided. I won't tooundecided.

Allah knows best!

7 Likes

Re: Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: by smileyz16(m): 11:45am On Mar 11, 2016
jazakumu lahu khairan ..barka jumah
Re: Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: by yhemsy62(m): 11:47am On Mar 11, 2016
Jazakalahu khairan
Re: Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: by boyo123(m): 12:00pm On Mar 11, 2016
daretodiffer:
I disagree with the morning after pill. I find it hard to agree that a thing is a being.

Although I agree with the aspect of having children but unless you have experienced or witnessed families would ordinarily would have been able to manage the few resources they have with two or three kids but decided to go for six children, you cannot categorically say that it is forbidden to plan according to your purse.

We don't live in welfarist state. We live in a world where you and your kids will suffer if you make adequate plans. The world will overlook two or three kids if you are poor but not six kidsundecided. I won't tooundecided.

Allah knows best!
you are funny sha.although i understand what you are saying but have you thought of this way.
After working so hard to be rich,you decided to have more kids to the one you already have,then ALLAH decides that his not giving you anymore,and you need them badly.
The issue is this Allah decides what ever happns in our lives

as for me o,i will make up my mind on the number of kids i want to have in my life,either rich or poor.

2 Likes

Re: Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: by MurphyG1(m): 12:11pm On Mar 11, 2016
so what about the use of CD? Is that permissible?
Re: Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: by Nobody: 12:13pm On Mar 11, 2016
Morning after pill puts the woman in a state of menstruation and prevents implantation. I don't see how it is a form of abortion. The fetus is not yet formed by the morning after.

3 Likes

Re: Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: by Nobody: 12:23pm On Mar 11, 2016
Amoto94,

when you write articles on subject matters related to science or any profession that is not yours, it is important to make enough research and ask questions before writing so that you don't mislead other people.

1 Like

Re: Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: by Arjeeni: 1:01pm On Mar 11, 2016
Op really have the job done well, but something needs further clarification....
W must not deceive ourselves simply because the ways and manners our children will be taking care off has already predestined so all we need to do is bearing them as many as possible. NO NO AND NO
In the Holy Quran, Allah (SW) permitted four wives and strictly stated conditions that will led to marrying more than one. should issue of predestination blindly chosen in Islam, the conditions wouldnt have been there in the first place. we will resulted to, Allah will take care of all the four wives.
If thorough plan is put in place for marriage then why child bearing should be excepted which of course economic reason was one of the reason a man is head of the family as stated in the Quran.
What is understand from Holy Quran is that our children should not be killed anyway out of fear of being poor and we might not be able to take care of them, killing in this context went beyond physical killings, either before or after birth it include denying them basic means of living such as good education and access to world beyond there immediate environment this doesnt against proper regulation to which environment they will have access to.
But regulating Number of children as per capital income of the family is very important because if these children eventually become unwanted in the society due to lack of good parental care, the parent will be blamed.
There was Hadith where a man cried to the Prophet complaining that his child flog him when the child was summon he explained that his father responsible for the treatment because he failed to give him sound upbringing.,

5 Likes

Re: Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: by Nobody: 2:00pm On Mar 11, 2016
boyo123:
you are funny sha.although i understand what you are saying but have you thought of this way.
After working so hard to be rich,you decided to have more kids to the one you already have,then ALLAH decides that his not giving you anymore,and you need them badly.
The issue is this Allah decides what ever happns in our lives

as for me o,i will make up my mind on the number of kids i want to have in my life,either rich or poor.

If Allah decides not to give me anymore, it is my destiny. There are so many kids in the world that need love, I will gladly adopt them. I won't need kids badly, I am not youundecided

Yeah, have as many as you can. I hope you do not plan on disturbing family members and friends to feed your kids.

3 Likes

Re: Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: by Nobody: 2:03pm On Mar 11, 2016
Arjeeni:
Op really have the job done well, but something needs further clarification....
W must not deceive ourselves simply because the ways and manners our children will be taking care off has already predestined so all we need to do is bearing them as many as possible. NO NO AND NO
In the Holy Quran, Allah (SW) permitted four wives and strictly stated conditions that will led to marrying more than one. should issue of predestination blindly chosen in Islam, the conditions wouldnt have been there in the first place. we will resulted to, Allah will take care of all the four wives.
If thorough plan is put in place for marriage then why child bearing should be excepted which of course economic reason was one of the reason a man is head of the family as stated in the Quran.
What is understand from Holy Quran is that our children should not be killed anyway out of fear of being poor and we might not be able to take care of them, killing in this context went beyond physical killings, either before or after birth it include denying them basic means of living such as good education and access to world beyond there immediate environment this doesnt against proper regulation to which environment they will have access to.
But regulating Number of children as per capital income of the family is very important because if these children eventually become unwanted in the society due to lack of good parental care, the parent will be blamed.

There was Hadith where a man cried to the Prophet complaining that his child flog him when the child was summon he explained that his father responsible for the treatment because he failed to give him sound upbringing.,

I love your analysis

1 Like

Re: Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: by boyo123(m): 3:07pm On Mar 11, 2016
daretodiffer:

If Allah decides not to give me anymore, it is my destiny. There are so many kids in the world that need love, I will gladly adopt them. I won't need kids badly, I am not youundecided

Yeah, have as many as you can. I hope you do not plan on disturbing family members and friends to feed your kids.
there is no need for me to disturb family members becouse,based on my effort and Allahs blessing, my children will have best of everything they need,so relax sis.

Its so obvious that you didnt get the message i was trying to pass across to you,i never said you are wrong just that,do not do anything that is against islam all in the name of having birth control.

1 Like

Re: Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: by haliruali(m): 4:46pm On Mar 11, 2016
Jazakallah khair. May Allah SWT guide us onto d right path.

(1) (Reply)

What Makes A Real Man In Islam / Saudi Arabia Concludes Arrival Stage Of 2019 Hajj, Records 1.8m Pilgrims / Kano Declares Monday Public Holiday For New Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.