Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,908 members, 7,802,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

I'm Now Ready For AC Work! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I'm Now Ready For AC Work! (10873 Views)

Most Nigerian (AC)Technicians & Mechanics are Quacks >:( / Picture: First Fully Covered Bike With AC (made In India) / Mercedes AC Advice Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by Piyke: 8:47pm On Mar 08, 2016
I was in Lagos recently and picked up all I need to correctly charge an AC system! Thanks to Gazzuzz who gave me the right market to get these in Lag.

I've already used the tools to give the perfect charge to my AC. I documented the DIY procedure here: http://www.diyautoworksng.com/recharge-car-ac-system/

I had to do this because when my magnetic clutch was replaced 3 years ago, no vacuum was applied on the system angry. I just couldn't find a shop with a vacuum pump. Now I know better.

My cabin now feels like trekking unclothed in Antarctica cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:56pm On Mar 08, 2016
Piyke:
I was in Lagos recently and picked up all I need to correctly charge an AC system! Thanks to Gazzuzz who gave me the right market to get these in Lag.

I've already used the tools to give the perfect charge to my AC. I documented the DIY procedure here: http://www.diyautoworksng.com/recharge-car-ac-system/

I had to do this because when my magnetic clutch was replaced 3 years ago, no vacuum was applied on the system angry. I just couldn't find a shop with a vacuum pump. Now I know better.

so nah the great piyke I been de chat with? Why you no tell me nah... I for take the day off go find am for you... did you buy harp gas?

5 Likes

Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by Piyke: 9:16pm On Mar 08, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

so nah the great piyke I been de chat with? Why you no tell me nah... I for take the day off go find am for you... did you buy harp gas?

Oh Gazzuzz. I thought you knew it was me all along o. Na you be the great o. I did buy Harp gas. Was told it's one of the best available in Naija. Is it true? Was shown the chinese version and the genuine one undecided

3 Likes

Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:19pm On Mar 08, 2016
Piyke:

Oh Gazzuzz. I thought you knew it was me all along o. Na you be the great o. I did buy Harp gas. Was told it's one of the best available in Naija. Is it true? Was shown the chinese version and the genuine one undecided

harp is very good. Will buy a few cartons next week.

1 Like

Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by Piyke: 9:34pm On Mar 08, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

harp is very good. Will buy a few cartons next week.

That's good to hear. Thanks again!
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by IdaraCHODB(m): 9:49pm On Mar 08, 2016
Piyke:

I go come your side so you go do my A/C too!

Well done
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by mayor2013: 10:02pm On Mar 08, 2016
Is this pump a single stage or dual stage vacuum pump
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by Piyke: 10:08pm On Mar 08, 2016
mayor2013:
Is this pump a single stage or dual stage vacuum pump

Single stage.
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by Piyke: 10:15pm On Mar 08, 2016
IdaraCHODB:

I go come your side so you go do my A/C too!

Well done

Thanks boss. Coming to think of it I need to put the investment to good use you know. cheers!
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by mayor2013: 10:35pm On Mar 08, 2016
Piyke:

Single stage.

Ok thanks. Whats the horse power?
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by Piyke: 10:43pm On Mar 08, 2016
mayor2013:

Ok thanks. Whats the horse power?

1/4HP
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by grimadult(m): 10:43pm On Mar 08, 2016
Oga Piyke good evening...abeg you go tell us how we go locate you make u follow u enjoy. My Motor A/C no dey too cool oh(2008 Accord I4)
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by chukel(m): 11:55pm On Mar 08, 2016
Pyike, I read ur blog. Weldone. But I tend to disagree with the way u filled your gas. I was made to understand that liquid refrigerant must not go into the low side pressure valve. Only the high side pressure valve should take that. As a result, if u are recharging through the low side valve, u don't turn the can. U only leave at 12 O'clock position as turning it will introduce liquid refrigerant. Also read that recharging through the low side alone takes a long time. Charging through the high side is only done with vehicle off and can turned upside down. I still stand to be corrected. I sent u a pm.

1 Like

Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by Nobody: 12:33am On Mar 09, 2016
Piyke is living my dream. I tried to get a set of those to no avail.
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by Piyke: 12:43am On Mar 09, 2016
chukel:
Pyike, I read ur blog. Weldone. But I tend to disagree with the way u filled your gas. I was made to understand that liquid refrigerant must not go into the low side pressure valve. Only the high side pressure valve should take that. As a result, if u are recharging through the low side valve, u don't turn the can. U only leave at 12 O'clock position as turning it will introduce liquid refrigerant. Also read that recharging through the low side alone takes a long time. Charging through the high side is only done with vehicle off and can turned upside down. I still stand to be corrected. I sent u a pm.

I simply followed the directions on the refrigerant can. The Harp gas (made in UK) says alternate between 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock every 2-3 seconds. Charging through the low side as gas does take longer, but for now I prefer to stick to that as I am not conversant with charging via high side.
But going by first principles, if you intend to charge through the high side with the engine off, I doubt that this small can will have enough pressure to deliver the total amount of charge to the system. It will probably deliver to a point and stop. The compressor plays a big role in drawing in refrigerant into the system except you are using one of those charging stations.
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by chukel(m): 6:00am On Mar 09, 2016
Piyke:

I simply followed the directions on the refrigerant can. The Harp gas (made in UK) says alternate between 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock every 2-3 seconds. Charging through the low side as gas does take longer, but for now I prefer to stick to that as I am not conversant with charging via high side.
But going by first principles, if you intend to charge through the high side with the engine off, I doubt that this small can will have enough pressure to deliver the total amount of charge to the system. It will probably deliver to a point and stop. The compressor plays a big role in drawing in refrigerant into the system except you are using one of those charging stations.
OK. Weldone pyike. Please how did you introduce the oil into the system and at what point. U haven't responded to my pm.
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by Piyke: 7:41am On Mar 09, 2016
grimadult:
Oga Piyke good evening...abeg you go tell us how we go locate you make u follow u enjoy. My Motor A/C no dey too cool oh(2008 Accord I4)

Sorry I missed this earlier. Would be happy to assist for a small fee especially if it would require me charging the system. Are you in Owerri?
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by Piyke: 7:44am On Mar 09, 2016
chukel:
OK. Weldone pyike. Please how did you introduce the oil into the system and at what point. U haven't responded to my pm.

Oil is introduced after you have placed a vacuum on the system. Measure out the oil, add it to the yellow service line, connect to refrigerant can, purge air, and then charge.
Responding to your pm...
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by Kashif(m): 9:01am On Mar 09, 2016
I thought a two-stage pump is better for AC works? (though not easy to find).
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by grimadult(m): 9:16am On Mar 09, 2016
Piyke:

Sorry I missed this earlier. Would be happy to assist for a small fee especially if it would require me charging the system. Are you in Owerri?

Good morning. Yes, am in Owerri.
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by mayor2013: 9:16am On Mar 09, 2016
Kashif:

2 stage pumps are available but from my research they are better off on systems with low pressure so using on an HVAC ystem might not be of an advantage
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by Piyke: 9:54am On Mar 09, 2016
grimadult:

Good morning. Yes, am in Owerri.

You can send me a PM then or if on whatsapp mail your number to piyke(at)diyautoworksng(dot)com
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by Piyke: 9:57am On Mar 09, 2016
Kashif:

More expensive and added to what mayor just said single stage is perfect for this kind of work.
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by boldx(m): 10:21am On Mar 09, 2016
Piyke, please I need you to troubleshoot and refill my A/C. Its a 2000 Sienna. Please how much will it cost. Send sms to 08034533668 as per cost let me make the arrangements.

Thanks Chiebube
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by Piyke: 3:04pm On Mar 09, 2016
boldx:
Piyke, please I need you to troubleshoot and refill my A/C. Its a 2000 Sienna. Please how much will it cost. Send sms to 08034533668 as per cost let me make the arrangements.

Thanks Chiebube

Sorted.
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by Piyke: 12:30pm On Mar 10, 2016
noxide:
Piyke is living my dream. I tried to get a set of those to no avail.

My brother its really difficult or should I say more expensive sourcing tools when your outside the key cities; chiefly Lagos. You may want to get from there if you ever have cause to visit. That's exactly what I did. I shoved acquiring the tools into my business visit cheesy
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by earthrealm(m): 2:28pm On Mar 10, 2016
Piyke:

WITH THE SYSTEM UNDER VACUUM, IE HAVING VACUMMED THE SYSTEM..U CAN REFILL QWUICKLY tru the side..by adding liquid refrigrant...the car must be off...turn the can upside down...the vacuum will suck in the liquid through the high side...very fast...u reduce ur refill time from the average 45mins to abt 15mins...using this method..

its best you use a weight balance to measure out the excat qty of refrigant specified for your car.
congrats on ur aquisition...i bought mine 2yrs ago.....n never let those clowns called ac techs touch my ac again [refill]
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by cocoduck: 2:56pm On Mar 10, 2016
good but don't forget UV DYES, PAG OILS, and black light for leakage detection. for electrical issues, echefula bbbind.com

3 Likes

Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by Piyke: 7:46pm On Mar 10, 2016
earthrealm:

WITH THE SYSTEM UNDER VACUUM, IE HAVING VACUMMED THE SYSTEM..U CAN REFILL QWUICKLY tru the side..by adding liquid refrigrant...the car must be off...turn the can upside down...the vacuum will suck in the liquid through the high side...very fast...u reduce ur refill time from the average 45mins to abt 15mins...using this method..

its best you use a weight balance to measure out the excat qty of refrigant specified for your car.
congrats on ur aquisition...i bought mine 2yrs ago.....n never let those clowns called ac techs touch my ac again [refill]

Thanks Earthrealm, for now I'll leave high-side charging for the pros wink will be managing the longer charge time through the low-side. I'm a very patient person cheesy
But seriously I read on one HVAC forum that depending on the proximity of the high-side port to the compressor, damage can still after liquid charging when the car is started.
I actually added 539g of refrigerant using a scale. A full charge is 500-550g for the 2003 -2007 4cyl Accord.
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by Inception(m): 4:33pm On Mar 16, 2016
bros Piyke no vex abeg,

how much did you get the complete kit for the ac recharging (gauges, vacuum pump, scale for weighing, refrigerant gas and compressor oil)

and pls can i have a contact (yours and/or the seller)?

thanks.
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by Piyke: 6:56pm On Mar 16, 2016
Inception:
bros Piyke no vex abeg,

how much did you get the complete kit for the ac recharging (gauges, vacuum pump, scale for weighing, refrigerant gas and compressor oil)

and pls can i have a contact (yours and/or the seller)?

thanks.

Got the weighing scale locally at 2200, vacuum pump 20-28k( I give this range because only one seller sold at 20k, others claimed new stock + dollar), gauges 3500-15000 depends on the brand you get, couplers 800, Harp was the most expensive gas at 1500(I hear it's now around 1800 for 340g), ND-8 oil 500. The oil you need depends on your compressor so I didn't price other PAG oils.
You can pm me for my phone or seller contact
Re: I'm Now Ready For AC Work! by jodeci(m): 8:05pm On Mar 16, 2016
Is your AC works for commercial or private.
Please if for commercial i will like to bring my car to your workshop,my car AC has lost that factory cooling it came with and need vacuuming and professional touch.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng / See How To Correctly Pronounce Car Brands Names / My Terrible Experience With Luvinhubby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.