Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,770 members, 7,798,576 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:13 AM

Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide (34484 Views)

Power Sector Unbundling Executed Prematurely – Idika Kalu / Senate Probes NNPC Unbundling, Says Buhari’s Action Illegal-vanguard / Nigerian Twitter Reacts To NNPC Workers' Protest Of Unbundling Of NNPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by repogirl(f): 12:22pm On Mar 09, 2016
rusher14:

Perhaps you know more about the Law than Kachickwu?
knowing about it is not the same as following it.
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by Ephemmm: 12:23pm On Mar 09, 2016
WiseBully:
And the turmoil continues... "Sai Barber"
Disregard for lawful processes by this administration will eventually scuttle most of its well intended policies and moves. Implosion...

"GEJ my heroe-chanting zombie"! What achievements has following the due process brought to Oil Sector since the inception of democracy in Nigeria apart from massive looting and inefficiency?

1 Like

Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by flokii: 12:24pm On Mar 09, 2016
repogirl:
well, the law is still the law and it should be upheld, or else we open ourselves to worse dangers.

yeah.. I agree

buh our Judicial arm of Govt. still needs to seat up and help move d Nation forward

cos we won't tolerate judges collecting bribes or delivering 'padi padi' judgements.
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by ibietela2(m): 12:31pm On Mar 09, 2016
MansaMoussa:
In saner countries, the Military will be drafted to take over production pending when it is resolved, to prevent hardship on the population.but are they trained for anything else other than fighting ?
Egyptian military took over bread production in 2011 to avoid shortages when bakers went on strike.
Recently, Brazilian military, doing house to house fumigation and person to person awareness on the Zika Virus.
South Africa deploys Police to take over mines, from strikers.
Etc.

The one they killed 41 men?
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by ibietela2(m): 12:34pm On Mar 09, 2016
Xionez:
Rubbish!!!!

These people had knowledge of everything yet they decided not to partake in it, but decide to act AFTER the announcement of the unbundling. Read the link well and you will see where their knowledge of it was mentioned.
#throwingspannertotheworks

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/nupeng-pengassan-threaten-showdown-over-planned-sack-of-nnpc-staff-pib/

10pm meeting...wtf! They should have pressed the Govt and not waiting till all has been said and done. What manner of STAKEHOLDERs are these?

BTW. NNPC is long due for restructuring. Its too bloated. One can hide his responsiblity behind another, and that one can hide behind another and it continues down the chain.
Even Microsoft (2014), Apple (1997), General Motors (2009) etc underwent restructuring. Successful ones at that. Sony are in process of theirs. Same with Toshiba and all other conglomerates that if you ask me, are much more complex in structure and workforce compared to NNPC due to the effect it can have on other countries.

You are comparing Companies with Government? Did the company board not discuss about the restructuring?
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by rusher14: 12:35pm On Mar 09, 2016
repogirl:
knowing about it is not the same as following it.

And you've made this conclusion based on the "stakeholders" agitation, you were part of the discussions or basically because you can't stand Buhari?

1 Like

Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by Xionez(m): 12:36pm On Mar 09, 2016
theoptimist298:

U don't get it do u? All these multinationals u mentioned will never lift a finger without consulting all stakeholders involved. Infact they will do it in such a way that the employees will even look forward to it. There is what is called change management or else nomatter how good ur policies may be, it is bound to fail. I'm assuming u work somewhere? How would u feel when Tommorow morning u get to work only to be told ur workplace is doing some sorta restructuring and u would be adversely affected for the greater good? Wouldn't u prefer to have been a part of the discussions from the get go inorder to mentally prepare urself?‎

Ogbeni, check the link. They were consulted and fully aware yet, they didnt inform the members of the workforce of the impending change with weekly updates. Since January?!!!!!!!. Trust indeed.
The fact that they had a 10pm fire brigade meeting just goes to show their attitude towards the whole issue.
I always hear NLC updates weeks before any issue comes up to prepare for showdown.

If the members were duly notified, do you think anyone would come to work surprised.

Check wikipedia of Characteristics of Restructuring and you will see its inevitable. If you are indispensible in the office, why shiver?!

A true Nigerian knows that nothing is permanent. Even the electricity brought today will be gone for the month.
The fact that you got a job doesnt mean you should relax. You have to be more active and have good relations and dealings with whomever you meet. I wouldnt wait until NNPC packs up before i know my time is up.

Im not supporting any government because i yet to see the change i didnt vote for but lets call a spade a spade.
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by eluquenson(m): 12:41pm On Mar 09, 2016
Serious wahala dey for naija
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by Coolcash1: 12:41pm On Mar 09, 2016
This is a great and decisive move by PMB...NNPC is rotten and riddle with inefficiency, waste and corruption. What the government has done is very much in line with international best practice but enemies of progress, people who benefit from current deficient system won't want it successfully implemented. Ask your self, what is in this reorganization for me as an ordinary Nigerian i tell you a lot. I will mention just a few;

Better petroleum products delivery that enhances efficiency and seamless distribution
Reduces if not eliminates fuel scarcity
More job employment
Nigerians (common man or masses) to take ownership by buying into its shares; this step prepares NNPC for listing on stock exchange
Sound and better management
Eliminates CABAL
Bye bye to bureaucracy; unnecessary and deliberate prolonged approval process.
Improved revenue generation
Nigerians can hold each head of division for accountability and demand performance
transparency is guaranteed

The benefits are endless...Nigerians lets support PMB on this...Great move i would say.
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by repogirl(f): 12:45pm On Mar 09, 2016
rusher14:

And you've made this conclusion based on the "stakeholders" agitation, you were part of the discussions or basically because you can't stand Buhari?
I do not have to be a part of the discussions... The news is out here for all to see, isnt it? Would they have embarked on this strike if it wasn't within their rights or if their grouse wasn't legitimate?

Like someone said above, these decisions need to be passed into the constitution or else it can be overturned when another government comes in.

You don't wake up and begin tampering with a federal institution as important as the NNPC and that's that.
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by Xionez(m): 12:51pm On Mar 09, 2016
ibietela2:

You are comparing Companies with Government? Did the company board not discuss about the restructuring?

Please check the strategic restructurings of Korea in 1997 (that doesnt even have a viable natural resource). Also Japan, Russia and even post- war Germany that started from scratch.

Im not ready to burn my MB.
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by rusher14: 12:57pm On Mar 09, 2016
repogirl:
I do not have to be a part of the discussions... The news is out here for all to see, isnt it? Would they have embarked on this strike if it wasn't within their rights or if their grouse wasn't legitimate?

Like someone said above, these decisions need to be passed into the constitution or else it can be overturned when another government comes in.

You don't wake up and begin tampering with a federal institution as important as the NNPC and that's that.

I don't think the constitution comes into play for restructuring government owned enterprises. In fact, most of these companies are under the purview of the Executive.

In the coming days we would find how lines of communication were drawn and who has ultimate power over such businesses.

Knowing a trained Lawyer with in-depth knowledge of the industry oversees its day to day affairs makes it easier to trust government's action.
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by Nobody: 12:58pm On Mar 09, 2016
Fuel scarcity has already hit Lagos State.

You go to a filling station to buy fuel at an exorbitant rate and meet hundreds of people. Worst still, no light!!!!!
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by Monalisa185(f): 1:01pm On Mar 09, 2016
BluStreak:

Babe I dey tell you. Light no dey, fuel no dey, then the fuel wey no dey dem wan come strike put on top. IKEDC dey strike and people thrown into deeper darkness from the big drakness wey been dey. Chai! Which way Nigeria?

I think whoever sang NIGERIA JAGA JAGA needs to come back for a remix, this is the perfect opportunity and condition
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by repogirl(f): 1:04pm On Mar 09, 2016
rusher14:

I don't think the constitution comes into play for restructuring government owned enterprises. In fact, most of these companies are under the purview of the Executive.

In the coming days we would find how lines of communication were drawn and who has ultimate power over such businesses.

Knowing a trained Lawyer with in-depth knowledge of the industry oversees its day to day affairs makes it easier to trust government's action.
We'll see.
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by FixAm(m): 1:07pm On Mar 09, 2016
Haha, I see this set of striking workers as those been sponsored by the oil cabal besides what right as an employee the government pays your dues ask some of them if not all why the strike they don't know unbunding NNPC does not affect their salary non take their jobs from them rather it. Will create room for employment are they striking against the government over what it has right over. PMB do the needful if it will warrant sacking those that won't be at their duty post do it let's see how they will approach the court. I pity some of them cos their jobs are at stack people like us are praying to take over. Say amen if u concur
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by Monalisa185(f): 1:09pm On Mar 09, 2016
gbens2000:
pls adopt me if u are going oh,this kantry tire me cry

hehehehe, if and only iff you are willing to trek to Togo...
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by Agbalanze(m): 1:10pm On Mar 09, 2016
Its obvious that PMB is a curse to Nigeria. Things are going from bad to worse daily...
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by olaoreawofele: 1:21pm On Mar 09, 2016
Go meet am na o

ojoyentalk:
I miss Yar Adua
President due process
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by onyxo76(m): 1:27pm On Mar 09, 2016
i knew it will come to this...fuel that is not even readily available to buy will now become 2000/gallon....mind you i buy at 120/litre currently.
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by Nobody: 1:34pm On Mar 09, 2016
TippyTop:
This administration would end up being the worst administration in history.
u must not comment on this higher than ur comprehension
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by jydeskill1(m): 1:46pm On Mar 09, 2016
Senseless talk from a senselence youth without a vision
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by gbens2000(m): 1:50pm On Mar 09, 2016
Monalisa185:

hehehehe, if and only iff you are willing to trek to Togo...
shocked,it could be better than the suffering in this country for nw.i can risk it.
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by Babacele: 2:02pm On Mar 09, 2016
modath:

NNPC Pengassan & Nupeng executive members know the unbundling will whittle down their powers & avenues to enrich themselves... there is zero altruistic reason for this...

Elections into the both unions worse pass do or die!! This country is bedeviled on too many fronts aswear!!
God go help us..
..no turning back n no sitting on d fence. u either love Naija or u hate her.
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by frugal(m): 2:52pm On Mar 09, 2016
WiseBully:

What is cabal? You didn't read their grouse. The govt played into their trap. Lesson: When taking down your adversary, ensure you exploit the law to do so. If you flout lawful processes because you are doing something right, failure awaits you at the end point. Buhari must exploit the law to effect changes, not his will. This same careless behavior was what gave him a bad name during his military stint.

Can't find their grouse anywhere in the article.
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by bigass123(m): 3:33pm On Mar 09, 2016
Let them go home quickly, they will know this era isn't the business as usual era.
Too many jobless but willing and ready to work people people to replace them. So please we are praying they downtool, so better hands can take up the tools and work..

wristbangle:
Oh my God! With this news, I will also advice NLC to go on strike. Everybody should be @ home oo
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by Wallade(m): 4:29pm On Mar 09, 2016
WiseBully:

What is cabal? You didn't read their grouse. The govt played into their trap. Lesson: When taking down your adversary, ensure you exploit the law to do so. If you flout lawful processes because you are doing something right, failure awaits you at the end point. Buhari must exploit the law to effect changes, not his will. This same careless behavior was what gave him a bad name during his military stint.

Do you ever think this government can achieve meaningful result if they choose to repeal the NNPC Act? I think the government effort will be frustrated by the house of representative and senate.

I think the approach of the minister and GMD of NNPC is in order, given the expected result.
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by paulodangelo(m): 5:10pm On Mar 09, 2016
Someone here posted a link saying pengassm and nupend threatened showdonw based on the unbundling of the NNPC. My brother, Baba is most of the time going about the right thing the WRONG way.

The reorganization of the NNPC is changing the structure and policies of the organization. And it being a federal parastatal set up not by executive decision alone but a bill passed by parliament and signed into law by the Executive. Baba should not continue to undermine the powers of the legislature. Good intentions, bad approach to execution. Not good fro our economy man.
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by ceejay80s(m): 6:07pm On Mar 09, 2016
HungerBAD:
Kudos to the Govt.

These same set of people, are the reason why our Refineries are in the comatose state they are in now. The Government should not negotiate anything with them, and should go ahead with its plan of breaking them up.

These criminals keep calling themselves Stakeholders.

For those workers that join the strike, please they should be dis-engaged from the Federal Government Service(NNPC) as there are thousands of jobless Nigerians, waiting to take their spots.

Nigerians say no to the CABAL holding the NNPC to Ransom.
True talk
Re: Unbundling: NNPC Shuts Down Nationwide by Nobody: 6:07pm On Mar 09, 2016
HungerBAD:
Kudos to the Govt.

These same set of people, are the reason why our Refineries are in the comatose state they are in now. The Government should not negotiate anything with them, and should go ahead with its plan of breaking them up.

These criminals keep calling themselves Stakeholders.

For those workers that join the strike, please they should be dis-engaged from the Federal Government Service(NNPC) as there are thousands of jobless Nigerians, waiting to take their spots.

Nigerians say no to the CABAL holding the NNPC to Ransom.

I salute the courage of Buhari for taking this decisive action at the right time. I know it is not going to be easy. Ruling Nigeria is a very tough battle, the lazy and lousy staff collaborating with oil cabals and those collecting fat salaries doing less are now exposed with the unbundling. Some of them are very proud & arrogant and always want to show off by telling you they work in NNPC. Also, before the oil ministry becomes over bloated as it is now, Late chief Awolowo has warned against having a large oil ministry as it will become drain pipe consuming a reasonable proportion of the crude oil money that comes into the nation treasury. Nobody saw what he has seen. No wonder, he is a sage.

This is an opportunity for political class opposing to Buhari to join NNPC staff. They are indirectly killing themselves. The same people fought OBJ. The last government spent billions of dollar paying subsidies that cannot be ascertained to the effect that madam okonjo cried out that she was tired of paying subsidy and called for the cancellation of subsidy. As at this time, it is very impossible because of those benefitting at the national assembly, the various unions in NNPC and the media cartel funded with the money couple with highly impoverished populace with low exposure or good thinking as a result of poverty who never wanted price increment as it worsens their plight economically. They cannot reason about the long time gain because their sense of reasoning have been beclouded by poverty.

NNPC staff on strike still relies on the factors mentioned above to get support from the poor masses and the national assembly legislators. GMB above 70 years should be prepared to stake his life for the battle to cleanse Nigeria of these bad eggs. I have a lot of friends in NNPC, I am not envious of them and their easy work life and flamboyant life style. OBJ had initially wanted to unbundle NNPC but there were so many works going on simultaneously in other sectors coupling with feud with his vice. This time around, if senators want to impeach GMB and if NNPC want to strangulate business they should go ahead. NNPC must be unbundled.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Begins 425-Kilometre Walk For Tinubu From Gombe To Abuja / Jonathan Congratulates Ghana President Mahama For Conceding Defeat / Presidency Reacts To EU Submissions On 2019 Polls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.