Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,259 members, 7,807,892 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:59 PM

Fortune City Series: The Liquid Wealth. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Fortune City Series: The Liquid Wealth. (1624 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Makes Fortune Magazine's List Of World's 50 Greatest Leaders / Pls, I Need To Get Soldiers Of Fortune PDF For Free. / Fate And Fortune(a Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fortune City Series: The Liquid Wealth. by Divepen1(m): 3:15pm On Mar 09, 2016
I will so take my time with this... Dedicated to cry

You

1 Like

Re: Fortune City Series: The Liquid Wealth. by Divepen1(m): 3:30pm On Mar 09, 2016
Liquid Wealth

Happiness. He smiled. He reread it.
‘Whoa!’ Olu shouted. He covered his mouth immediately he remembered where he was. The people around him smiled at him, and he reciprocated by closing his eyes for some
seconds, giving them a very big grin.

‘Bros! Wetin be that?’ Someone said, and tried to look at the newspaper. He smelt like break oil.

‘Buy your own’ He said and closed the paper hurriedly. The information was for him and him alone. He withdrew from the crowd, still staring at the newspaper. The people around the newspaper stand kept arguing about issues especially that which didn’t concern them- Nigeria. They had the issue of Fortune City to solve. The mysteries that had been happening in the town ever since they had elected Gulibus Matthias as the leader, things had worsened. However, he wasn’t concerned. His concern right there was the newspaper in front of him.

Ever since the day had been reading newspapers, he had never seen such advertisement in the newspaper. He glanced over his shoulders to be sure no one was
reading what he was reading.
‘Bros. Bros you never give me money for that paper’ the vendor said, jolting Olu out of his daydream.

Olu smirked and looked around. Some people stared at him as though he was the tenth wonder of the earth, maybe because he was fat or because things were hard. People needed someone to blame, an offender. He couldn’t blame them because he himself had had the opportunity of beating a man to a pulp until the woman who screamed for help said they were just playing. He had never bought newspaper since the day he was born, he snipped the little information he had from Radios and others newspapers but not his.
‘How much?’
‘Five hundred naira’. He hated the fact that
they used Nigeria’s money in the city. Now
the newspaper was five hundred naira.
‘Five hundred naira? Eh?’ His voice rose above normal.
‘When did it become five hundred naira?
Some people turned to him; others shook their head, while some laughed.
‘For two years now, since 2012’ someone said.

He only had five hundred naira but there was nothing in the world that would make the newspaper part with him. The money was meant to feed him and his mother.
Not knowing what to do, he moved towards the vendor to return the paper.

‘Yeh- Yeh- look at,’ Olu shouted at the top of his voice. People had complained to him times without number that his voice was a natural megaphone. The readers looked at him and hurriedly looked at the place he pointed at. Luckily for him, a bike man (from the side
he pointed to) heard the noise also and lost concentration. He ran into a car. So, people focused on the man.

Seeing the opportunity, he ran with all his might like an elephant who escaped the zoo and was bent on getting to the forest that night. He climbed the flyover before anybody could realise it.
‘Thief. Catch him’ the paper vendor shouted and ran after Olu.

Olu sprinted off. His weight made the flyover squeak in pain but no one heard it. The only thing people heard was a man shouting at the top of his voice, chasing Olu. He preferred to be termed a thief than to release that newspaper. Even if his dead father promise to resurrect if he released the paper, he wouldn’t agree. He crossed to the other side of
Ajetunmobi bus stop. Luckily for him, a bus was waiting to move.

‘Panama bus stop’ He shouted at the top of his lungs the moment he entered the bus’.
‘Two hundred naira’
Thief people screamed from afar. He wouldn’t give it up.
‘150 na’
‘Why you no trek?’
‘Oya… Oya let’s go’. He looked at the other side and saw the vendor and some sympathisers crossing the road towards him.

‘Driver, go na’ He yelled as he poised himself to jump if the bus didn’t move.
‘Abeg, free me.Na your mama buy bus for me’ the driver said, Igbo language lacing his language.
‘If no be wetin dey do me, I for show you wen’, Olu said. His darted through the crowd, mapping out a way for him.
The men drew nearer.

‘Carry go ‘The conductor shouted and hit the side of the bus with vigour. Olu who was just about to jump from the bus held himself and held the edge of the bus as the driver sped off. He sighed.

The newspaper. He opened it again and smiled at it. He would be rich. His mother wouldn’t only enjoy, but she would also be a source of wealth to him.
He looked back again to be sure they had left the reach of his pursuers. He hummed Olamide’s Eni duro as the driver drove as though he was the one being pursued.

Passengers screamed and yelled for him to reduce his speed. But instead of answering them, he played one of his best Igbo highlife records, increased the volume, and accelerated as though the song was nicotine.
‘Bros.’ someone said to Olu.’ Can I see that
paper?’
‘No’.
‘Just for some min-‘
‘No… I said no… You don’t understand no’ He said and face the newspaper. Nobody should disturb him. He was laying down the most suitable plan and it was sure to work.

The person hissed. Olu looked at her, took in a deep breath, and growled.

‘What?’ The lady said. She was sitting beside a fair bald man who seemed to be lost in his thought. Olu loved that. Everyone should be in his or her place, enjoying the ride in the best way he or she could.

Normally, he would have appreciated her beauty but he wasn’t in need of beauty now. He needed money. After which, women could surface.

He rested his head on the chair in front of him, and imagined how it would look like to live in wealth.

Last two years when Matthias vied to be the president, he promised improvement. No one knew he meant in improvement in ones struggle. With everything in him, he was tired of struggling. He needed fresh cash.
He stared at the newspaper and smiled as the heat of the day licked his body. The only problem now was for his mother to agree. All he needed was her agreement. But she was adamant, and too uptight.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fortune City Series: The Liquid Wealth. by joanee20(f): 5:57pm On Mar 09, 2016
Following bumper to bumper
Re: Fortune City Series: The Liquid Wealth. by Omoalhaja7: 6:08pm On Mar 09, 2016
Any story 4rm Divepen is nofin but a bomb.
Lemme quikly register b4 sitting down to read d 1st update.
Re: Fortune City Series: The Liquid Wealth. by Divepen1(m): 6:07pm On Mar 10, 2016
Omoalhaja7:
Any story 4rm Divepen is nofin but a bomb.
Lemme quikly register b4 sitting down to read d 1st update.
Welcome. I will surely deliver.
Re: Fortune City Series: The Liquid Wealth. by Divepen1(m): 6:07pm On Mar 10, 2016
joanee20:
Following bumper to bumper
Thanks
Re: Fortune City Series: The Liquid Wealth. by Nobody: 8:16pm On Mar 10, 2016
Nice one Divepen. please check your mail. I need your help on something.
Re: Fortune City Series: The Liquid Wealth. by Divepen1(m): 7:41pm On Mar 12, 2016
Wininiel:
Nice one Divepen. please check your mail. I need your help on something.
I can't find it
Re: Fortune City Series: The Liquid Wealth. by Nobody: 7:58pm On Mar 12, 2016
Divepen1:
I can't find it
. here's my number ,please if you don't mind let's chat on Watsapp 08060994692. Though I sent you another, just check it. Thanks
Re: Fortune City Series: The Liquid Wealth. by Iolite(f): 8:26pm On Mar 12, 2016
I am here o. Me ma like those people at the vendor's, want to know what is the mysterious write-up in the paper. Write on.
Re: Fortune City Series: The Liquid Wealth. by Nobody: 2:01pm On Mar 13, 2016
Divepen1:
Thanks
Oga Divepen1 please attend to you PM...It's very important.
Re: Fortune City Series: The Liquid Wealth. by Divepen1(m): 2:15pm On Mar 13, 2016
PushPlay:
Oga Divepen1 please attend to you PM...It's very important.
Replied
Re: Fortune City Series: The Liquid Wealth. by Nobody: 7:36pm On Mar 13, 2016
When are you updating again?? we are waiting
Re: Fortune City Series: The Liquid Wealth. by Divepen1(m): 7:57pm On Mar 13, 2016
Wininiel:
When are you updating again?? we are waiting
Ask Buhari to give us light
Re: Fortune City Series: The Liquid Wealth. by Nobody: 9:07pm On Mar 13, 2016
Divepen1:
Ask Buhari to give us light
So it's the same everywhere...... Eyah...... I'll see if I'll have chance to call him tomorrow.....,,,,

(1) (Reply)

My Deep Thoughts And Poems / The Rossy Lifestyle Of Pyunskid / Hole In My Skin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.