Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,061 members, 7,807,188 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:50 AM

NASS Goes Against Buhari On N1.04 MTN Fine-naij.com - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NASS Goes Against Buhari On N1.04 MTN Fine-naij.com (1219 Views)

See How Igbos Reacted As Another Igbo King Goes Against Nnamdi Kanu(pics) / Unbelievable: Whistle Blower Turns Down Commission On N1 Billion / Elderly Woman From Maiduguri: "Anybody Who Goes Against Buhari Is A Boko Haram" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NASS Goes Against Buhari On N1.04 MTN Fine-naij.com by mile12crises: 5:49pm On Mar 09, 2016
The National Assembly is set to go against President Muhammadu Buhari on the N1.04 trillion fine against the mobile network provider MTN for selling unregistered Subscriber Identification Modules (SIM cards).

President Muhamadu Buhari on Tuesday, March 8, directed that the Nigeria Communications Commission (NCC) should give room for the fine on MTN to be renegotiated.
However, the House of Representative on Wednesday, March 9, insisted that MTN must pay in totality, the N1.04 trillion imposed on it by the NCC in October 2015.
The chairman, committee on communications, Saheed Akinade-Fijabi (APC-Oyo) said that the fine if paid will redefine the relationship between the telecommunications operators and the regulator. He said that the N50 billion paid by MTN as a down payment for negotiations out of court was not adequate to make up for allegedly undermining government’s efforts to tackle security challenges in the country.

“The law is there to serve as deterrent for you not to go against them.” MTN has been trying to circumvent the process and find a way of running away from the law instead of them facing the music.” A member of the committee, Johnson Agbonayinman (PDP-Edo) said that MTN violated sections 19 and 20 of the Telephone Subscribers Regulations under the Communications Act 2010. Section 19 of the Act reads: “Any licensee who fails to capture register, deregister or transmit the details of every individual or corporate subscriber to the central data base as specified in the regulation or as may be stipulated from time to time by the Commission is liable to a penalty of N200 000 for each subscription medium.

“Therefore MTN’s failure to deactivate 5.2million SIM cards should be liable to a fine of N2.8 trillion,’’ Agbonayinman said. However, the Executive Vice Chairman of the NCC, Prof. Umar Danbatta said that the commission was committed to ensuring compliance by telecommunication operators to register all SIM cards in the country. “SIM card registration is a continuous process. There is ongoing registration exercise by all operators and NCC will do enforcement checking to ensure compliance,’’ he said. Meanwhile, he said that NCC was not in receipt of the N50 billion so far paid by MTN.
“I do not know the account where the money was paid into. The commission only received a letter from the Attorney-General of the Federation indicating that MTN had paid the amount into the federal government account,’’ Danbatta said.

In a related development, the Senate summoned the minister of communication technology, Adebayo Shittu and the attorney general and minister of justice, Abubakar Malami, to explain their roles on the reported payment of N50 billion out of the N780bn fine on MTN Nigeria. The chairman of the Senate committee on communications, Gilbert Nnaji announced the invitation of the minister as well as the executive vice-chairman of NCC, Umar Garba Danbatta, the accountant-general of the federation, Ahmed Idris and the chief executive officer of MTN Nigeria, Phuthuma Nhleko.

Read more: https://www.naij.com/757889-nass-goes-president-buhari-n1-04-mtn-fine.html
Re: NASS Goes Against Buhari On N1.04 MTN Fine-naij.com by mrphysics(m): 5:50pm On Mar 09, 2016
Really?? the national assembly is confused
Re: NASS Goes Against Buhari On N1.04 MTN Fine-naij.com by lukecent: 5:53pm On Mar 09, 2016
Watching in 3D
Re: NASS Goes Against Buhari On N1.04 MTN Fine-naij.com by Imortal001: 5:54pm On Mar 09, 2016
For the first time, am not supporting pmb on this.....
Re: NASS Goes Against Buhari On N1.04 MTN Fine-naij.com by mile12crises: 5:54pm On Mar 09, 2016
The NASS has just woken up to their responsibilities.

The impunity and brazen usurpation of judiciary and the legislature by the hollow-looking and junketing Duara herdsman has got to be checked.

1 Like

Re: NASS Goes Against Buhari On N1.04 MTN Fine-naij.com by evy1(m): 6:00pm On Mar 09, 2016
mrphysics:
Really?? the national assembly is confused
What makes them confuse.
Re: NASS Goes Against Buhari On N1.04 MTN Fine-naij.com by Olusanya333(m): 6:04pm On Mar 09, 2016
idiotic of the FG.
Re: NASS Goes Against Buhari On N1.04 MTN Fine-naij.com by mynd1(f): 6:04pm On Mar 09, 2016
Mtn must pay our fine!
Anyway,Nigeria sai Buhari. grin
Re: NASS Goes Against Buhari On N1.04 MTN Fine-naij.com by Nobody: 6:06pm On Mar 09, 2016
Should we believe that this people are fighting for us?? Or Saraki and his GANG are trying to fight BUHARI??
Re: NASS Goes Against Buhari On N1.04 MTN Fine-naij.com by mrphysics(m): 6:15pm On Mar 09, 2016
evy1:
What makes them confuse.
You are asking??

If MTN choose to leave, you guys will say PMB is scaring away Foreign investors, now that he want to make Nigeria a good place for them to work, NASS is moving against him simply because they are interested in the money.

1 Like

Re: NASS Goes Against Buhari On N1.04 MTN Fine-naij.com by Ejanla07: 6:37pm On Mar 09, 2016
mrphysics:

You are asking??

If MTN choose to leave, you guys will say PMB is scaring away Foreign investors, now that he want to make Nigeria a good place for them to work, NASS is moving against him simply because they are interested in the money.

Bro it will be wise if mtn leave. so a Nigerian company can take its place. Do you kno how much the south African company take away to south Africa from Nigerian economy.

A working government should restrict some sector of the economy to Nigerians and Nigerian companies
Re: NASS Goes Against Buhari On N1.04 MTN Fine-naij.com by mrphysics(m): 6:40pm On Mar 09, 2016
Ejanla07:

Bro it will be wise if mtn leave. so a Nigerian company can take its place. Do you kno how much the south African company take away to south Africa from Nigerian economy.

A working government should restrict some sector of the economy to Nigerians and Nigerian companies

No, MTN is still the best network, left for glo or etisalat, call rate would have been very high. it's still you guys that will criticise buhari for sending them away.

Naija
Re: NASS Goes Against Buhari On N1.04 MTN Fine-naij.com by Ejanla07: 7:05pm On Mar 09, 2016
mrphysics:

No, MTN is still the best network, left for glo or etisalat, call rate would have been very high. it's still you guys that will criticise buhari for sending them away.

Naija

Believe me. I have both mtn and etisalat..
Etisalat beat mtn

Network
Incentives
Call rate.

I only respect mtn wit coverage
Re: NASS Goes Against Buhari On N1.04 MTN Fine-naij.com by mrphysics(m): 7:55pm On Mar 09, 2016
Ejanla07:

Believe me. I have both mtn and etisalat..
Etisalat beat mtn

Network
Incentives
Call rate.

I only respect mtn wit coverage

Oga, I have all of them. infact I have three MTN Sims. How can you compare etisalat with MTN, it's like comparing death with sleep. MTN beat all of them
Re: NASS Goes Against Buhari On N1.04 MTN Fine-naij.com by naijagobetter(m): 8:36pm On Mar 09, 2016
Imortal001:
e too, but dont you think he is trying to secure the jobs of nigerians working with for mtn, by extention the business community in s africa?
Re: NASS Goes Against Buhari On N1.04 MTN Fine-naij.com by naijagobetter(m): 8:37pm On Mar 09, 2016
Imortal001:
me too, but dont you think he is trying to secure the jobs of nigerians working with for mtn, by extention the business community in s africa?
Re: NASS Goes Against Buhari On N1.04 MTN Fine-naij.com by Ejanla07: 9:01pm On Mar 09, 2016
mrphysics:

Oga, I have all of them. infact I have three MTN Sims. How can you compare etisalat with MTN, it's like comparing death with sleep. MTN beat all of them

Lyn is death here right.

The same network dat find it hard to register it's customer base. Do u kno how many times my mother registered her SIM in January
Re: NASS Goes Against Buhari On N1.04 MTN Fine-naij.com by gentle007(m): 9:29pm On Mar 09, 2016
Ejanla07:

Have glo been able to live up to expectations even in face of competitions? How much more when they become a dominant network?
Besides the market is still open for new investors especially indigenous ones as I know the government will support them to the fullest. But the issue remains if they have what it takes?

(1) (Reply)

What Is Wrong With This Buhari's Photo? / See The Hillarious Cartoons PDP Use To Mock Buhari And Other APC Member (photos) / Abia: INEC Reacts To OGAH's Swearing in Delay.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.