Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,619 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:23 PM

Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay (14425 Views)

Alleged N8bn Fraud: EFCC Closes In On JAMB Directors, Employees / OAU 2016/17 Admission Screening Starts, To Be Based On Jamb And WAEC Result / Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Itse-sagay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by chemistry101: 7:54am On Mar 10, 2016
By Dayo Adesulu,

Legal luminaries have said that the resolutions passed by the Senate last week, reducing the cost of UTME form from N5,650 to N2,500 and the extension of results validity to three years are not binding on the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB. Itse Sagay Recall that the Senate had, on November 17, 2015, adopted a resolution and directed its Committee on Tertiary Institutions and TETFund to inquire into circumstances surrounding the new JAMB policy, including allegations of favouritism as well as review of JAMB admission.

In that light, the Senate reacted to the Chairman, Senate Committee on Tertiary Institutions and TETFUND, Senator Binta Masi Garba’s submission and consideration on JAMB admission policies, by fixing N2,500 as fee payable to JAMB. Similarly, it has also extended the validity of JAMB results from one to three years while institution and course forms and all other incidental activities around the examination should be free.

The new JAMB policy entails that a candidate will make a choice of one university, one polytechnic and one college of education and then sit for a computer based test (CBT) to gain admission into any tertiary institution in the country. Very good resolution Reacting to the development, parents and students say the resolution is a welcomed development that would save cost and hassles of sitting for the exams every year if one fails to gain admission into a university.

A mother who has trained four children through school and is happy for other parents still training children, who wishes to be known as Mrs Duru said; “It is a very good resolution, it would save us the trouble of buying the form every year. It is not that we pray that they would not get admission but sometimes post UME does not favour them, the school might give them a course that they don’t like and they have to retake the exam. Now that the result will still be valid for three years, it means parents will not have to spend afresh, JAMB lesson, scratch card, etc. It going to help a lot because people that really want to train their children should not be made to suffer.

Even though, by the grace of God, this is the last time I will patronise JAMB, it will help others. I have 4 children, the last one is taking this JAMB. Since I was not educated as I would have liked, in want my children to be well educated. I have bought JAMB form at least  12 times. I spent a lot of money, JAMB lesson and the rest. JAMB result form If it is not that they are using it to make money, they would have done it since. What is stopping the JAMB result form being valid for life like WAEC?” A student, Chiamaka Ikemefuna, who is yet to write the UTME, said the decision of the Senate is a welcomed idea as it will save parents a lot of money and bring relief to students. She said “This is a big relief to students and parents because it will save us, the students the stress of sitting for UTME every year, and it will also check the excessive profit made by JAMB.”

Though Towolawi Babajide, a corps member currently serving in Osun State and teaches students preparing for UTME writing Jamb, supports the Senate’s decisions, he however cautioned JAMB to put its home in order so that the validity period would worth the wait. But despite these high expectations, some legal luminaries have said the resolution is not binding as the resolution is like an appeal since it has not been passed into law. Speaking on the legal perspective, Professor Itse Sagay said: “It is not binding because JAMB is an executive body. They cannot pass a resolution on such body, but  can only give an advice.

The resolution is like making a request. Only the Minister of Education, or the Council governing JAMB can take such decisions. The National Assembly is a legislative body. It is a different thing if they have passed a bill signed into law to that effect.” In  the same vein, Mrs. Funke Adekoya (SAN) said: ‘’The resolutions by the Senate is not binding on JAMB. The House of Representatives are yet to make a law and not a resolution that is binding on JAMB. It is mere advice and it is not binding. If JAMB does not obey, there is no law that has been broken or breached. The resolution only indicates that the Senate is concerned about the high cost, but they have not made a law to back up their resolution.’’ Legislative procedure Also, Chief Morah Ekwunoh, a legal practitioner said: ‘’The resolutions of the Senate is not binding on JAMB because it is a resolution and not a legislation.

The Senate should have come by way of legislative procedure to enact appropriate law and get presidential assent. Then it becomes a law binding on everybody including JAMB. Without that, all their motions constitute appeal, not force. Another way this cost could be reduced and binding on JAMB is by executive fiat, because JAMB is within the arm of the executive. In the constitution, the executive legislative and judiciary are separated, so there can be no interference.’’ Our investigations revealed that while JAMB registered over 1.5 million candidates in 2016,  it succeeded in making N8.5 billion from the sale of forms to candidates at N5,650 each. In 2015, it made approximately N7.9 billion from the sale of UTME forms to 1.4 million candidates. Also, in 2014, having sold forms to 1.6 million candidates, it raked in N9 billion, just as it also made N9.6 billion from the sales of 1.7 million forms.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/senate-resolutions-not-binding-on-jamb-sagay/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by ajoskele(m): 8:02am On Mar 10, 2016
I just dey luk ol' o dem formin baddo.

Someone should teach those pot-bellied chiefs real business in the red chamber. Maybe oga Lalasticlala would do.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by ajoskele(m): 8:09am On Mar 10, 2016
ajoskele:

Someone should teach those pot-bellied chiefs real business in the red chamber. Maybe oga Lalasticlala would do.
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by johnwizey: 8:18am On Mar 10, 2016
Oboy!! People dey buy jamb form o....#9b from form alone.
Kwantinue
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by Psalm351(m): 9:23am On Mar 10, 2016
Chisu! JAMB is indeed a profit making organisation.
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by DONSMITH123(m): 11:13am On Mar 10, 2016
smiley

2 Likes

Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by Taeewo(m): 11:14am On Mar 10, 2016
K
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by Mutuwa(m): 11:15am On Mar 10, 2016
ajoskele:

Always trying to exercise some sort of power,when there is really none.
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by marycool18(f): 11:15am On Mar 10, 2016
This JAMB sef, it has brought both happiness and tears to Nigerian youths, whatever they wanna do it should be worth the stress, undecided
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by Flexherbal(m): 11:15am On Mar 10, 2016
Yes, because it has not been passed into law. After it has been passed, jamb must abide by it.
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by seunlayi(m): 11:15am On Mar 10, 2016
failure to probe JAMB is a failure of the anti-corruption war-

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by ajoskele(m): 11:16am On Mar 10, 2016
Mutuwa:

Always trying to exercise some sort of power,when there is really none.
The resilience of the executives is getting to them.

1 Like

Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by Stanleywaxy(m): 11:16am On Mar 10, 2016
This country matter just de tire me ... Pls give me the Olajuju news than Jamb say Jamb no say biko
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by adedam007(m): 11:16am On Mar 10, 2016
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by iambabaG: 11:16am On Mar 10, 2016
With the number of people that purchase tell form every year (over 1.3 million) and the amount generated (over 7 billion)
E sure me die say dem no go agree.. Na market senate won spoil for them so!!

It will be a welcomed development if it is followed.
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by OsusuMustFlow(f): 11:17am On Mar 10, 2016
ok

1 Like

Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by Jaycool18(m): 11:18am On Mar 10, 2016
Jamb is going to make their exam extremely difficult for students so more people can keep coming back to write...

If u ask me I'd say they should just scrap it

2 Likes

Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by omanifrank(m): 11:19am On Mar 10, 2016
really
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by greatness22(m): 11:19am On Mar 10, 2016
This Sagay lips sef, e be like say he wife dey apply lip gloss for him lips. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by ITSaWRAPPP: 11:19am On Mar 10, 2016
In other words, the senators can go to hell? undecided
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by richidinho(m): 11:20am On Mar 10, 2016
dis jamb sef
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by Fynist(m): 11:20am On Mar 10, 2016
Joke Examination body. Joke Senate. Joke resolutions
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by Parkac(m): 11:27am On Mar 10, 2016
WAEC conducts paper SSCE in several subjects and still pays examiners with N11,500 but JAMB uses N5,500 to conduct CBT examination. Ojerinde is taking Nigerians as jokers
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by crazyclown07(m): 11:32am On Mar 10, 2016
Statistics shows that JAMB generates trillions of naira annually as revenue Its a business making board God knows how much commissions mr dibu gets *smh*
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by Pavore9: 11:32am On Mar 10, 2016
As long as it is not passed into law,he is right!
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by danjaba(m): 11:34am On Mar 10, 2016
Sagay for my tribe mean MUMU
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by Iamrichie: 11:34am On Mar 10, 2016
Abeg me too wan start to dey organize entrance exam for pple :pcheesywink
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by kosokoadeyemi: 11:38am On Mar 10, 2016
Rubbish talk from people cal themself lawyer, lies is not their fault when there children is nt among( roges,thieves,dasuki people,God soon catch them by buhari regime,pls oga buhari,oshibajo help us see to this another set of theives before is too late,let efcc go after them tnx.
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by dyn1800: 11:38am On Mar 10, 2016
hmm! Over to you MR SENATORs do the NEEDFUL.

thanks
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by babyfaceafrica: 11:39am On Mar 10, 2016
We know naw..no be the same NA say make dem increase copa allawi...dem don increase am?...No....national assembly can bark but not bite
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by litetias(m): 11:41am On Mar 10, 2016
Wicked Senators that don't really care about the masses.
They wouldn't make a legislation to restructure JAMB in such a way that the forms would be cheap and the admission process less stressful but if its to close the people's mouth with anti social media bill they will make that legislation because it favours them.

By the way if JAMB alone makes so much billions yearly then it seems that the Internally Generated Revenue of Nigeria should be enough to fund the yearly budgets but then lack of proper accounting means such money disappears into thin air.
I sorry for Africa
Re: Senate Resolutions Not Binding On JAMB – Sagay by dyn1800: 11:41am On Mar 10, 2016
read very well before you criticize. The Nigerian senate need to sign it to law and get the Presidential assent before it is bind on Jamb.... not that the lawyers were against it

kosokoadeyemi:
Rubbish talk from people cal themself lawyer, lies is not their fault when there children is nt among( roges,thieves,dasuki people,God soon catch them by buhari regime,pls oga buhari,oshibajo help us see to this another set of theives before is too late,let efcc go after them tnx.

(1) (2) (Reply)

UNN Rejects Jamb's 120 Cut-off Mark, Fixes Post-utme Dates / National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) Scholarship 2017/2018 / Between Nursing And Medical Laboratory Science

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.