Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,845 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:14 AM

Why Can't I Side Load Window 8.1 With Ubuntu 15.10 - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Why Can't I Side Load Window 8.1 With Ubuntu 15.10 (1579 Views)

How Do I Activate Window 8 Os Online / Hint: Installation Of Autocad On Window 8 Pc / Upgrading From Window 8.1 To Window 10, Is It Safe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Can't I Side Load Window 8.1 With Ubuntu 15.10 by FrankLampard: 2:56pm On Mar 11, 2016
I have Windows 8.1 installed with my files in it, I want to install Ubuntu 15.10 but I couldn't.

Below is the screenshot to my Ubuntu upon installation and My BIOS Settings respectively.

Re: Why Can't I Side Load Window 8.1 With Ubuntu 15.10 by FrankLampard: 3:07pm On Mar 11, 2016
Please guys help, as I want to install Ubuntu on my PC HP 650.

Below is a screenshot of my Windows Disk Management.

Re: Why Can't I Side Load Window 8.1 With Ubuntu 15.10 by FrankLampard: 3:09pm On Mar 11, 2016
I have tried installing Windows 8.1 with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Yet is the same result.
Re: Why Can't I Side Load Window 8.1 With Ubuntu 15.10 by shawlxAk(m): 5:10pm On Mar 11, 2016
Are you trying to install Ubuntu on an NTFS partition?

Try the 'something else' option.

FrankLampard:
I have tried installing Windows 8.1 with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Yet is the same result.
Re: Why Can't I Side Load Window 8.1 With Ubuntu 15.10 by FrankLampard: 5:19pm On Mar 11, 2016
shawlxAk:
Are you trying to install Ubuntu on an NTFS partition?

Try the 'something else' option.

Yes my Partition is NTFS... How do I format it to ext4 or ext5 for Ubuntu.

I don't know how to use the "Something else" Option.

I don't want something to go wrong.

Thank you.
Re: Why Can't I Side Load Window 8.1 With Ubuntu 15.10 by blackweaver(m): 5:30pm On Mar 11, 2016
check this link:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/ng/en/ngbsdt1/SLN151841?c=ng&l=en&s=bsd&cs=ngbsdt1

You would probably have to delete the ubuntu partition before you can create a new partition
Re: Why Can't I Side Load Window 8.1 With Ubuntu 15.10 by shawlxAk(m): 5:36pm On Mar 11, 2016
Try deleting the said partition and recreating it without formatting.

FrankLampard:

Yes my Partition is NTFS... How do I format it to ext4 or ext5 for Ubuntu.

I don't know how to use the "Something else" Option.

I don't want something to go wrong.

Thank you.
Re: Why Can't I Side Load Window 8.1 With Ubuntu 15.10 by FrankLampard: 6:11pm On Mar 11, 2016
shawlxAk:
Try deleting the said partition and recreating it without formatting.

Thank you sir, I tried that, it was still the same. I can't get the Install Alongside Windows option.

It seems it is impossible to get that option.

I want to know if it will be possible by using the "Something Else" option. Using the screenshot below.

Re: Why Can't I Side Load Window 8.1 With Ubuntu 15.10 by shawlxAk(m): 6:21pm On Mar 11, 2016
Yes, you can proceed with the third partition for basic installation.

FrankLampard:

Thank you sir, I tried that, it was still the same. I can't get the Install Alongside Windows option.

It seems it is impossible to get that option.

I want to know if it will be possible by using the "Something Else" option. Using the screenshot below.
Re: Why Can't I Side Load Window 8.1 With Ubuntu 15.10 by FrankLampard: 6:27pm On Mar 11, 2016
shawlxAk:
Yes, you can proceed with the third partition for basic installation.

Can I still retain my Windows?

Can I boot between Windows and Ubuntu if I want to?
Re: Why Can't I Side Load Window 8.1 With Ubuntu 15.10 by shawlxAk(m): 7:09pm On Mar 11, 2016
Yes, as long as you don't touch the other NTFS partitions.

FrankLampard:

Can I still retain my Windows?

Can I boot between Windows and Ubuntu if I want to?
Re: Why Can't I Side Load Window 8.1 With Ubuntu 15.10 by FrankLampard: 7:33pm On Mar 11, 2016
shawlxAk:
Yes, as long as you don't touch the other NTFS partitions.

Thank you sir, I will try that.
Re: Why Can't I Side Load Window 8.1 With Ubuntu 15.10 by dabigjoe6(m): 10:58pm On Mar 12, 2016
I almost bricked my laptop, while trying to install ubuntu alongside windows, the next time I tried it again I just wiped windows and since have been using Ubuntu I don't regret it. But make sure you have access to internet and enough data.
Re: Why Can't I Side Load Window 8.1 With Ubuntu 15.10 by FrankLampard: 8:29am On Mar 13, 2016
It seems Microsoft and this Hardware Manufacturer have signed a deal that won't allow other OS's to install on the hardware.
Re: Why Can't I Side Load Window 8.1 With Ubuntu 15.10 by blackweaver(m): 5:50pm On Mar 13, 2016
FrankLampard:
It seems Microsoft and this Hardware Manufacturer have signed a deal that won't allow other OS's to install on the hardware.

How do you know? You can't disable secureboot in the bios?
Re: Why Can't I Side Load Window 8.1 With Ubuntu 15.10 by BedLam: 4:12pm On Mar 16, 2016
FrankLampard:
The best thing to do is to use a Virtual system. I for one think this your method is archaic because you can't run both OS same time unlike when you use VirtualBox or VMWare. VMware is the best when you want to run different OSs. It takse less than 10 minutes to set up and right now, I'm running windows 7 and Xubuntu on my windows 8.1, that's 3 OSs. just figure out how to do it, it's easy.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Microsoft Access,excel And Tally Accounting Training / Clean Neat HP Core I5 12gig 1 Terabyte Touch Screen With Keyboard Light For Sale / Please Help With My Direct3d Problem.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.