Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,502 members, 7,770,261 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:17 AM

Who Is More Important In Building:- Architect Or Structural Engineer - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Who Is More Important In Building:- Architect Or Structural Engineer (2672 Views)

Man Shares How His Wife Who Is An Architect Suffers Sexism In Her Profession / what software should a young Civil/Structural Engineer learn? / Rochas Construction Company Worker Dies In Building Site (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is More Important In Building:- Architect Or Structural Engineer by hakeem4(m): 6:48pm On Mar 11, 2016
Structural engineer :-

Structural engineers are responsible for engineering design and analysis. Entry-level structural engineers may design the individual structural elements of a structure, for example the beams, columns, and floors of a building. More experienced engineers may be responsible for the structural design and integrity of an entire system, such as a building.

Structural engineers often specialize in particular fields, such as bridge engineering, building engineering, pipeline engineering, industrial structures, or special mechanical structures such as vehicles, ships or aircraft.

Architect :-

An architect is a person who plans, designs, and oversees the construction of buildings. To practice architecture means to provide services in connection with the design and construction of buildings and the space within the site surrounding the buildings, that have as their principal purpose human occupancy or use.
Re: Who Is More Important In Building:- Architect Or Structural Engineer by Blizzy9ja: 7:00pm On Mar 11, 2016
With all due respect to the architect anybody that is versertile and creative can design a building but if the structural analysis of the building is faulty then everything is wrong with that building... There is more to a building than just aesthetics, so I give it to the structural engineer

2 Likes

Re: Who Is More Important In Building:- Architect Or Structural Engineer by feran15(m): 7:24pm On Mar 11, 2016
The Structural engineer is obviously more important because stability in a building comes before aesthetics. If the role of the stucural engineer is ignored especially in buildings with multiple stories, the structural components of the building will fail and the building will come crashing down.

I think its better for a building to be ugly and structurally sound, than for it to be beautiful and then come down crashing in a few years.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is More Important In Building:- Architect Or Structural Engineer by hakeem4(m): 9:39pm On Mar 11, 2016
Blizzy9ja:
With all due respect to the architect anybody that is versertile and creative can design a building but if the structural analysis of the building is faulty then everything is wrong with that building... There is more to a building than just aesthetics, so I give it to the structural engineer
thanks
feran15:
The Structural engineer is obviously more important because stability in a building comes before aesthetics. If the role of the stucural engineer is ignored especially in buildings with multiple stories, the structural components of the building will fail and the building will come crashing down.
I think its better for a building to be ugly and structurally sound, than for it to be beautiful and then come down crashing in a few years.
thanks
Re: Who Is More Important In Building:- Architect Or Structural Engineer by Lordbinsmar: 11:57pm On Mar 11, 2016
feran15:

don't mix things up.the work of an architect in building design is not all about aesthetics,its more about functionality and spatial relationship of the spaces in the building,which is the most difficult stage of building design.in any building project,the architect,not the engineer is always the head of the building team.any building project starts and ends with an architect.
Re: Who Is More Important In Building:- Architect Or Structural Engineer by engineerjimmy: 1:00am On Mar 12, 2016
I'm a structural engineer,the architect is more important,they head the team,architects can do structural calculations&analysis such as load calculations,bending moments,shear forces etc,but structural engineer can hardly do an architect job,I give to architects but we structural engineers are needed as well.
Re: Who Is More Important In Building:- Architect Or Structural Engineer by feran15(m): 6:50am On Mar 12, 2016
Lordbinsmar:
don't mix things up.the work of an architect in building design is not all about aesthetics,its more about functionality and spatial relationship of the spaces in the building,which is the most difficult stage of building design.in any building project,the architect,not the engineer is always the head of the building team.any building project starts and ends with an architect.

in some cases, sure. But lets be honest when the structural engineer says," this design will not work", the architect will have to make changes to his design to make it more stable and buildable
Re: Who Is More Important In Building:- Architect Or Structural Engineer by Lordbinsmar: 9:15am On Mar 12, 2016
feran15:

in some cases, sure. But lets be honest when the structural engineer says," this design will not work", the architect will have to make changes to his design to make it more stable and buildable
i don't agree with you.i don't think a sensible architect will design a building that is not structurally stable unless the architect is not sensible enough,because the two main concept of architecture is Form and Function.to back up my point,you can watch the documentary of the seven star hotel in dubai.the structural engineer is only needed to help the architect make his dream come true.
Re: Who Is More Important In Building:- Architect Or Structural Engineer by feran15(m): 10:51am On Mar 12, 2016
Lordbinsmar:
i don't agree with you.i don't think a sensible architect will design a building that is not structurally stable unless the architect is not sensible enough,because the two main concept of architecture is Form and Function.to back up my point,you can watch the documentary of the seven star hotel in dubai.the structural engineer is only needed to help the architect make his dream come true.

Okay then
Re: Who Is More Important In Building:- Architect Or Structural Engineer by itstpia8: 6:42am On May 23, 2016
both are important no doubt.
Re: Who Is More Important In Building:- Architect Or Structural Engineer by General2COAS(m): 6:48am On May 24, 2016
Lordbinsmar:
Head of only building projects not civil engineering projects

1 Like

Re: Who Is More Important In Building:- Architect Or Structural Engineer by General2COAS(m): 6:51am On May 24, 2016
Lordbinsmar:
Research diff BTW Architects and Engineers bro

(1) (Reply)

EXCLUSIVE: Earn Up To $500 Per Month As a Video Animation Expert / How Do I Get Big Companies To Advertise On My Website? / Certification Edge: How True Is This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.