Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:05 AM

What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? (60097 Views)

Cars Submerged By Flood In Calabar As Man Climbs On Top His Car And Relaxes / Sex In The Car And Its Consequences / Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by chukslawrence(m): 6:09pm On Mar 12, 2016
Visco 2000

3 Likes

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by greatJohnson(m): 6:21pm On Mar 12, 2016
I use Sinopec 10W40 4ltrs synthetic, @5k before dollar issues. it is expensive but cheaper cos of durability.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by Lamexx(m): 6:21pm On Mar 12, 2016
Castrol Edge (5W40 - fully synthetic) - N8,500 for my Infiniti FX 35. The oil gives me the best engine performance....no drag, no sluggish movement.

2 Likes

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by wagazala: 6:25pm On Mar 12, 2016
stelaar:
Mobil 1 5w 30 (imported) cost about 12k

I would be switching to the Nigerian produced 5w30 to support the naira in my next scheduled maintenance

PS: Nigeria Mobil formerly restricted customers to 20 w50 and 0 w40 but I guess they have realised customers clamour for other variants. The Nigeria mobile 5 w30 comes with a green cap on the gallon.

How do these oils differ in terms of performance. I have a 2014 Hyundai Accent, I noticed a sound like the timing chain from the engine sometime ago. That was only when I started servicing by the roadside, I have long returned to Hyundai for servicing and I can't seem to hear the noise anymore. Could it be the type of engine oil used by the roadside guys?
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by wagazala: 6:28pm On Mar 12, 2016
DMerciful:
I use total 20W50 both for my Hyundai accent, my wife's kia Picanto and Hiace bus. Though Hyundai recommends shell oil.

Bros, how's the performance of your Hyundai using this oil and what's the price?
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by allanphash7(m): 6:36pm On Mar 12, 2016
You got it all dear

There are just 2 cars in the world

Benz and the others
iyatrustee:

A german machine freak bro!

1 Like

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by DMerciful(m): 6:39pm On Mar 12, 2016
The performance is OK....though I just started using total when I started servicing in a workshop close to my place...its around N2700 or so. But before now I used d dealership where I bought d car for servicing but I've moved quite far from there.
wagazala:

Bros, how's the performance of your Hyundai using this oil and what's the price?
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by Lamexx(m): 6:41pm On Mar 12, 2016
wagazala:

How do these oils differ in terms of performance. I have a 2014 Hyundai Accent, I noticed a sound like the timing chain from the engine sometime ago. That was only when I started servicing by the roadside, I have long returned to Hyundai for servicing and I can't seem to hear the noise anymore. Could it be the type of engine oil used by the roadside guys?

Most possibly the type of engine oil used by the roadside guy. You need to understand that the composition of the engine oil road side mechanics use is pure base oil (BS 150 sometimes mixed with SN 500) without additives. Using pure base oil causes the oil to go plastic overtime in the engine and reduces the lubricating effect. There are many additives added to the base oil to boost its performance remember Lube oil = Base Oil + Additives. The road side guy just give u base oil and most probably the wrong one.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by DVALOROUS: 6:45pm On Mar 12, 2016
pragmatistm:
Lotos 10W40 semi synthetic. It costs N5000 before dollar increase. Don't know how much it is now.

ls there any particular (trusted) place one can buy either synthetic or semi synthetic oil in Lagos? I do buy at Ladipo but sometimes when you get there, you may notice that the particular brand you are used to has finished, hence, making you to switch to another brand.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by stevLegend: 6:49pm On Mar 12, 2016
boldx:
There are so many brands of engine oil in the market today. What type of engine oil do you use in your car? Is it synthetic or semi-synthetic and how much is it? I will start with mine.
Coastal oil 5w30, semi-synthetic N7000 (5 litres)
price increased cos of dollar rate

Since u buy dis ur car, we no hear word again.

Meanwhile, my Helicopter Bus Uses Oando Oil. Synthetic 7w30. #12,450. 4Ltrs.

1 Like

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by sukkot: 6:51pm On Mar 12, 2016
LoJ:

grin grin grin
Forever loyal brother. How much did it cost u to get the leggedez? grin

What happened of the Mercedes? Maybe you should dash it to me grin My own legs dey pain me now
it was free. what mercedes ? merci oloye na for big boys. na bicycle levels we dey bros. palm wine tappers bicycle grin

ermm seriously though, where i live, car is a luxury. the transportation system is extremely efficient its crazy.

1 Like

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by sospunky: 7:06pm On Mar 12, 2016
Masters Lubricants contact 08037028034 to get them..Distributors wanted nationwide.

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by jef131: 7:10pm On Mar 12, 2016
Whiz .it costs ,#2200 for a gallon of 5 litres
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Mar 12, 2016
sukkot:
it was free. what mercedes ? merci oloye na for big boys. na bicycle levels we dey bros. palm wine tappers bicycle grin

ermm seriously though, where i live, car is a luxury. the transportation system is extremely efficient its crazy.
yup I know. I was just joking. Here is the same. There is no real need for a car. wink
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Mar 12, 2016
sukkot:
what mercedes ?
Back in chicago, you said one day you used to drive a mercedes. It was with your former moniker.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Mar 12, 2016
I use 5w40 for my jetta, toal quartz 9000 cost N8,500= bloody expensive oil, seems to evaporate from the engine, am shifting to 20w50 now thats good for nigerian weather. grin

1 Like

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by nickxtra(m): 7:33pm On Mar 12, 2016
I use Total Quartz 7000- 10w 40 for 8,000 naira
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by asumo12: 7:33pm On Mar 12, 2016
iyatrustee:
Mobil 1 cost N11,500 embarassed

Na 8k for my area oooooo!
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by Osama10(m): 7:46pm On Mar 12, 2016
Mobil 1 5W 30.

One gallon cost 9k X 2 = 18k.

Last oil change was in January.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by stelaar(m): 7:48pm On Mar 12, 2016
Dieumerci:
Pls where have you seen the Nigerian made Mobil 5W30?

Any Mobil station, depending on stock availbilty.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by BushDoctor123: 7:49pm On Mar 12, 2016
ironMind:
if time reach for servicing and i have get plenty money for hand, i will buy mobile 1. they is sell it for N8,500. if money is not plenty in hand and i want to service, i am buy the one of N3,000. nothing is do my motor. it is working fine.
O"boy na nite school you go. Dat ur English fit make ur car Summersault o.

5 Likes

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by Aidenehi: 7:58pm On Mar 12, 2016
I use coastal 5W 30 and it cost 6500 for a 5 litre gallon
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by Sunbellar: 8:03pm On Mar 12, 2016
Use Toyota oil direct from Toyota motor company imported from Dubai
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by 989900: 8:24pm On Mar 12, 2016
osualaernest:
groundnut oil serves

Actually groundnut oil, palm oil, castor oil, all will work; how well is another discussion . . . there are trials currently going on with palm oil and vegetable oil.

1 Like

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by ALIMINE(m): 9:12pm On Mar 12, 2016
Trunaijian:
Just about to do some major maintenance on my car. Would apprec8 recommendation on which type of oil to use for optimal performance.
The oil depends on the type of car, preferably, check the cover of the Oil tank. The recommended oil is written on it.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by nanizle(m): 9:32pm On Mar 12, 2016
castrol or mobil 1 full synthetic 5w20 (manufacturer recommended spec)

N12,000.

1 Like

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by iyatrustee(f): 9:42pm On Mar 12, 2016
asumo12:

Na 8k for my area oooooo!

Used to be 9k but i bought 11.5k sometimes in February. Might be more now sef!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by Samscoz(m): 9:44pm On Mar 12, 2016
i use AZ and it cost 2500

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by Trunaijian: 10:18pm On Mar 12, 2016
ALIMINE:
The oil depends on the type of car, preferably, check the cover of the Oil tank. The recommended oil is written on it.
yea I understand what you mean. I was actually referring to the brand.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by nanotechy: 10:25pm On Mar 12, 2016
stelaar:
Mobil 1 5w 30 (imported) cost about 12k

I would be switching to the Nigerian produced 5w30 to support the naira in my next scheduled maintenance

PS: Nigeria Mobil formerly restricted customers to 20 w50 and 0 w40 but I guess they have realised customers clamour for other variants. The Nigeria mobile 5 w30 comes with a green cap on the gallon.
I use mobil 1 as well and I think it's expensive. I bought 10 litres for 22k last week. I'd be pleased if you can suggest to me a cheaper brand or variant. I'd also love to know the consequences, if any, of changing engine oil.

Ps: I use a 2005 Nissan frontier
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by Agbalanze(m): 10:27pm On Mar 12, 2016
Mobil XHP ...N3500
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by busky101(m): 10:50pm On Mar 12, 2016
RichDad1:

I hope you're not being sold adulterated? Cos as at my last service, I bought it for #3500.
I can't even remember the last time Mobil xhp sold for that price.
i usually buy from oando stations

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Container Falls Off Ojuelegba Bridge, Lands On Danfo Bus [PHOTOS] / Toyota Corolla Or Mini Bus Suzuki. Which One Is Suitable For Transport Business? / 2018 Mercedes-maybach G650 Landaulet Is The Most Expensive SUV Ever Made

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.