Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,584 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:43 PM

Biblical Archaeology Discoveries - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Biblical Archaeology Discoveries (3156 Views)

Archaeology Proves Exodus From Egypt / Archaeology Confirms The Bible / Modern Scientific Discoveries Verify The Scriptures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biblical Archaeology Discoveries by Richirich713: 12:13pm On Mar 12, 2016
Just a page on Archaeological Discoveries of the Bible. 

1) Pilate Stone

Pontius Pilate ( ??-  37 AD) ‎ was the fifth prefect of the Roman province of Judaea from AD 26–36. He served under Emperor Tiberius, and is best known today for the trial and crucifixion of Jesus.‎

In the 1800s several skeptics doubted the existence of Pilate, but in 1961 archaeologists found a carved inscription on a limstone block (82 cm x 65 cm) which dates to approximately AD 26–37. 

This inscription which reads "To Tiberius, Pontius Pilate, Prefect of Judea" confirms the historicity of Pontius Pilate Existence and that he was ruling in Judea under Tiberius (as Luke records)

"‎In the fifteenth year of the reign of Emperor Tiberius, when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea, and Herod was ruler of Galilee, and his brother Philip ruler of the region of Ituraea and Trachonitis, and Lysanias ruler of Abilene." (Luke 3:1)

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biblical Archaeology Discoveries by Richirich713: 1:11pm On Mar 12, 2016
2) Lysanias

For many years, Skeptics also said Luke didn't know what he was talking about when he referred to Lysanias as being the tetrarch of Abilene(Luke 3:1) in about AD 27.

This was considered an error, since the only Lysanias we knew of, lived much earlier and was Tetrarch of Chalcis as Jewish Historian Josephus records.

"Lysanias, Tetrarch of Chalcis, ruled from 40 to 36 BCE, until he was put to death by Marc Antony and his lands given to Cleopatra (Josephus' Jewish Antiquities 15.4.1 92).

However an inscription was later found in Abila, dating to the time of Tiberius (AD 14-37), which name's Lysanias as Tetrarch , just as Luke had recorded.

There were in fact two government officials name Lysanias and Luke was correct all along.

The inscription reads :

"For the salvation of the August lords and of all their household, Nymphaeus, freedman of Eagle Lysanias tetrarch established this street and other things."

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biblical Archaeology Discoveries by Richirich713: 1:16pm On Mar 12, 2016
3)Politarchs

Again people thought Luke got it wrong since there was no evidence available in ancient Roman documents that showed Romans used the term Politarchs. 

"'When they could not find them, they dragged Jason and some believers before the city authorities(Politarchs), shouting, “These people who have been turning the world upside down have come here also,'" (Acts 17:6)

But again an inscription popped up proving Luke had been right all along.

The inscription is dated to be 1st century AD and begins with "In the time of Politarchs . . .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biblical Archaeology Discoveries by resty4(m): 6:22pm On Mar 12, 2016
C agreem btw bible n his3. Some misguided wd errorneously say d original bible is misg. De hv no history.
Re: Biblical Archaeology Discoveries by asalimpo(m): 7:21pm On Mar 12, 2016
resty4:
C agreem btw bible n his3. Some misguided wd errorneously say d original bible is misg. De hv no history.
This your writing is so wacked- were u smoking or high on something!!.

2 Likes

Re: Biblical Archaeology Discoveries by Raphael81(m): 8:02pm On Mar 12, 2016
It confirms the authenticity of the Holy Bible
Re: Biblical Archaeology Discoveries by Gayjesus: 12:12am On Mar 13, 2016
Where is the burial tomb of King Solomon and David ?
Re: Biblical Archaeology Discoveries by Richirich713: 8:43am On Mar 13, 2016
4) Erastus of Corinth

Erastus, the treasurer at Corinth was a associate of Paul and is mention by Paul when he writes from Rome to Corinth (Romans 16:23)

"Gaius, who is host to me and to the whole church, greets you. Erastus, the city treasurer, and our brother Quartus, greet you". (Romans 16:23)

In 1929, a Latin inscription on a limestone pavement was discovered at Corinth, which dated to the mid-first century and reads as follows :

""Erastus curator of public buildings, laid this pavement at his own expense."".

Re: Biblical Archaeology Discoveries by Richirich713: 9:19am On Mar 13, 2016
Gayjesus:
Where is the burial tomb of King Solomon and David ?

I'm not sure about Solomon, but there is a traditional site for David Tomb, but its authenticity has not been verified by any scientific analysis.
Re: Biblical Archaeology Discoveries by Richirich713: 11:26am On Mar 13, 2016
5) Caiaphas

In June 2011 Archaeologists discovered an Ossuary bearing the name of a relative of the high priest Caiaphas.

Caiaphas was the official high priest during the ministry and trial of Jesus (Matt 26:3,57 ;Luke 3:2 ;John 11:49 ;18:13 ,14 ,24 ,28; Acts4:6).

The Israel Antiquities Authority declared the 2000 year old burial ossuary to be authentic and that microscopic tests confirm that the inscription is "genuine and ancient".

The Ossuary bears the following inscription :

"Miriam, daughter of Yeshua, son of Caiaphas, Priest of Ma’aziah from Beth ‘Imri"

Re: Biblical Archaeology Discoveries by Gayjesus: 5:37pm On Mar 13, 2016
I doubt the OP knows much about his ancestors but instead he is so interested about jewish people

1 Like

Re: Biblical Archaeology Discoveries by Richirich713: 5:45pm On Mar 14, 2016
6) Pool of Bethesda

In the late 19th century, archaeologists unearthed the Pool of Bethesda which is mention in John 5.

It is here where Jesus displays his miraculous power by healing a man who had been bedridden for 38 years.

Some time later, Jesus went up to Jerusalem for one of the Jewish festivals. Now there is in Jerusalem near the Sheep Gate a pool, which in Aramaic is called Bethesda and which is surrounded by five covered colonnades.

Here a great number of disabled people used to lie—the blind, the lame, the paralyzed. One who was there had been an invalid for thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition for a long time, he asked him,
“Do you want to get well?”

“Sir,” the invalid replied, “I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred. While I am trying to get in, someone else goes down ahead of me.”

Then Jesus said to him,
“Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.” At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked.

John also tells us that the pool had five porticoes, and when archaeologists dug it up they found that there were five porticoes which means colonnaded porches or walkways.

Re: Biblical Archaeology Discoveries by Richirich713: 2:57pm On Apr 02, 2016
7) The Pool of Siloam

Discovered in June 2004, mentioned in (Isaiah 8:6, 22:9) and (John 9:1–11) is of special significance to Christians since it's the location to which Jesus sent a blind man in order to complete the healing of the man.

"As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”

“Neither this man nor his parents sinned", said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

After saying this, he spit on the ground, made some mud with the saliva, and put it on the man’s eyes. “Go,” he told him, “wash in the Pool of Siloam”. So the man went and washed, and came home seeing.

His neighbors and those who had formerly seen him begging asked, “Isn’t this the same man who used to sit and beg?” Some claimed that he was.

Others said, “No, he only looks like him.”

But he himself insisted, “I am the man.”

“How then were your eyes opened?” they asked.

He replied, “The man they call Jesus made some mud and put it on my eyes. He told me to go to Siloam and wash. So I went and washed, and then I could see.”
(John 9:1-11)

Attached is a artist’s rendering of the Siloam Pool and a photo taken in 2004

Re: Biblical Archaeology Discoveries by Nobody: 4:17pm On Apr 02, 2016
Intresting and Intresting.....

Of course, I do not know a shit about History but still; it's intresting.
Re: Biblical Archaeology Discoveries by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:28am On Jan 05, 2017
Nice one bro Richirich713

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biblical Archaeology Discoveries by Richirich713: 4:11am On Jan 05, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:
Nice one bro Richirich713

Thanks bro, I thought I'll be able to keep at it but life and work has given me little time to keep up with a thread like this.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Lady Without Both Hands And Legs Leading Worship In Church / Pls Help Me With Christian Music Websites / The Mayor Of Dorval In Quebec, Canada Responded To The Muslim Community There Wh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.