Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,343 members, 7,808,209 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:44 AM

N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities (15479 Views)

Why Nigerian Universities Rank Low- Buhari / Private Nigerian Universities Better Than Public Ones, Ex-governor Akpabio Says / 1998 Obasanjo Worths N20,000, Today He Worth N180 Billion ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Abagworo(m): 8:16am On Jul 20, 2009
Guess education is now for the rich

fter initial seven days warning strike action, the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU) has ordered its members to embark on an indefinite action that may totally cripple activity in the nation’s universities in protest against government’s plan to increase students tuition fees to N180,000 per session.

Rising from an emergency National Executive meeting in Abuja at the weekend, the association resolved to protest the anti-people policy that is aimed at protecting and granting access to the children of only the rich and those in position of authority in the country.

National President of SSANU, Comrade Promise Adewusi who read the resolutions of his association’s emergency meeting, said that it was worrisome that while minimum wage still stood at N5,000, the government was moving to impose on the same parents a whopping N180,000 fee per child.

According to Comrade Adewusi, “Even at the paltry N20,000 or N25,000 they pay in the federal universities, most parents can still not conveniently and comfortably do this. If this is allowed to happen, what that means in effect is that education will be priced out of the reach of the children of the poor, which we do not want. It means the ministers will continue to produce ministers, the governors will continue to produce governors and the peasants, the labourers, the gardeners will produce gardeners because they will not go to school.”

The SSANU president further said; “So, we want a fair playing field because we have been blackmailed in most times that, look, if you want an enhanced condition of service, accept introduction of school fees in our universities. We have always maintained this solidarity with our students because even our children are in these universities, because we cannot afford to send our own children out of the country, like other government public functionaries who hardly have any of their children in Nigerian universities.”

In this wise, Comrade Adewusi announced that the association, having painstakingly studied the consequences of the government’s plan, directed all of its members to resume its suspended strike with effect from July 20, 2009 even as it also rejected the proposed salary increase for its members but insisted on the full implementation of the product of its collective bargaining with Federal Government.
According to Comrade Adewusi; “What this means, is that the universities have to be shut down, because our members are the one maintaining the services that keep the students in comfort, now we cannot guarantee this comfort.

I think the best advice in this circumstance is for parents to reach out to their wards and their children because we cannot guarantee that there will be facilities that will continue to sustain them in classes and hostels. For avoidance of any untoward thing, even our members in the clinics, the doctors and nurses, we are withdrawing them until government sees reason. We are withdrawing all our personnel from the works and services, electricity, water.”

The SSANU national president also described the purported inauguration of the minimum wage committee last week Thursday as an exercise in futility saying that it was merely a ploy by government to buy time like what it did to members of the association in the past, if allowed to get away with it.
Adewusi stressed; “It will just be for the purpose of buying time and by the time they take us on a rollercoaster and rigmarole for the next two years, they will say gentlemen, elections are here and a new government will be inaugurated soon, why not wait for the new government to be the one to implement it. It is difficult for us to trust the government with what they have done with this.”

Commenting on universities funding, Comrade Adewusi said that it was one of the issues that arose from the 2001 agreement during which it was agreed that government was supposed to progressively improve funding, adding that when former President Olusegun Obasanjo came, funding was inadequate but the administration managed to get to 11 per cent.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2009/july/20/national-20-07-2009-05.htm
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by samparian(m): 10:18am On Jul 20, 2009
It will be a disaster if implemented cos more militants will arise and Nigeria will officially dis integrate shocked
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by mayrho(m): 11:48am On Jul 20, 2009
wahala dey for Naija
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by FBS: 11:55am On Jul 20, 2009
Dear Lord save our children!
What is going on in this country?
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by presido1: 12:05pm On Jul 20, 2009
This is very good development. Pls nobody should question anybody for us to save our "One Nigerianess".
Bravo YaraDoGood.
I will deffinitely vote you for 3rd term and 4th term.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by mrperfect(m): 12:06pm On Jul 20, 2009
What is it this Country has not witness? is it war, coup, strike, riot name them.
Well, I think Nigeria needs a special prayers and deliverance.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by kokoA(m): 12:08pm On Jul 20, 2009
Do we still have a president in Nigeria?  Please am serious,somebody tell me. Everybody is on strike, who then is working?
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by hackney(m): 12:08pm On Jul 20, 2009
I say bomb every higher institution if that happens.
The education budget loot is not enough for them.
The students are equal to the task of burning down all those shacks anyway.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by asha2: 12:09pm On Jul 20, 2009
presido1:

This is very good development. Pls nobody should question anybody for us to save our "One Nigerianess".
Bravo YaraDoGood.
I will deffinitely vote you for 3rd term and 4th term.

Naija 4 lyfe as they say  shocked  grin
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by kokoA(m): 12:11pm On Jul 20, 2009
Why is all this hapening during my time cry cry.Please God if I ever return to this world again after now, please do not make me a Nigerian again please.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by TheSeeker(m): 12:13pm On Jul 20, 2009
Nigeria is the most pathetic country I've ever known. Yaradua is about to turn this country into a haven of criminals. Now, the poor, who have some comfort in good education will end up having no hope in the end and what do you think we will have in the end? We will have criminals all over everywhere. I am foreseeing a situation where money ritual will be on the rampage, children kidnapping, armed robbery and assassination. People will do anything to survive especially the poor. This government has no sense in whatever they do, and they are all concerned with their own pockets. How many of them have their wards in Nigerian universities? I don't think there's any of them. This sickened-yet-to-die president should be thrown in a deep sea and drowned with a lump of rocks on his neck. It's a shame Nigeria still has the same sets of leaders since 10 years.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by tboy1(m): 12:13pm On Jul 20, 2009
kokoA:

Why is all this hapening during my time cry cry.Please God if I ever return to this world again after now, please do not make me a Nigerian again please.

Nigeria might be better by then, and you'll miss out ooooo tongue
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by baronB(m): 12:15pm On Jul 20, 2009
well what do you expect from a man like yaradua and his PDP brothers.the best thing for  this country is to disintegrate it  into tiny pieces
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by MrCrackles(m): 12:15pm On Jul 20, 2009
This is a joke. . . . . 180K for a shambolic and substandard education shocked
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Witi(m): 12:16pm On Jul 20, 2009
A road to nationwide unrest, revolution or civil war. I now Know that our leaders are indeed mentally derailed.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by la1(m): 12:17pm On Jul 20, 2009
coup de tat, simple.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by debosky(m): 12:18pm On Jul 20, 2009
Another ridiculous dereliction of duty from the Yar'adua government. . . and we thought OBJ was bad.

At least he did increase salaries for University employees, unlike this sham of a government.

In a time with more 'professors' and 'lecturers' in government (President, VP, Education Minister, Information Minister) the educational sector is suffering terrible neglect and denial of working resources.

To top it all off, the 'minister' of education spends 120m on a birthday bash to laugh in our face and confirm he has absolutely no regard for the suffering of Nigerian students.

If NLC knows what it is doing, there should be nationwide strike to ensure that this gross injustice to both the staff in universities and schools and to our children does not continue. Our leaders obviously don't care, so till we strike them where it hurts, nothing will happen.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by presido1: 12:20pm On Jul 20, 2009
debosky:

Another ridiculous dereliction of duty from the Yar'adua government. . . and we thought OBJ was bad.

At least he did increase salaries for University employees, unlike this sham of a government.

In a time with more 'professors' and 'lecturers' in government (President, VP, Education Minister, Information Minister) the educational sector is suffering terrible neglect and denial of working resources.

To top it all off, the 'minister' of education spends 120m on a birthday bash to laugh in our face and confirm he has absolutely no regard for the suffering of Nigerian students.

If NLC knows what it is doing, there should be nationwide strike to ensure that this gross injustice to both the staff in universities and schools and to our children does not continue. Our leaders obviously don't care, so till we strike them where it hurts, nothing will happen.
Remember OBJ gave us this bad man.

Why Nation Wide strike when we want to preserve our democrazy and one nigeria. You people are not serious. grin
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Afam4eva(m): 12:21pm On Jul 20, 2009
What do those universities offer that they want to start collecting 180,000 for tuition.

With the way things are going in nigeria, another civil war is iminent.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jul 20, 2009
I don't agree with all of you.
As a matter of fact, this is the only reasonable plan that i have seen from this administration.
University education is not for everybody. Free education up to secondary school stage is enough.
If you really want to go to college, then you should have the brain for it. If you do, there are bursaries and scholarships available.
The reason we have the type of college grads that we have today is because 99% of them used EXPO to get into school.
What is the point of graduating 1 million students every year when you only have 100,000 jobs available.

If you feel you really need to go to college and you are poor and not smart enough, go get a loan.
This may seem harsh but is the best thing that will happen to the education system.
Tertiary education in Nigeria should not be FREE.

1 Like

Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by presido1: 12:25pm On Jul 20, 2009
afam4eva:

What do those universities offer that they want to start collecting 180,000 for tuition.
With the way things are going in nigeria, another civil war is iminent.
Don't think of civil war cuz those that can fight won't want to fight again. Unless another section of the country will gather courage otherwise itz biz as usual(suffring and smilling) for "One Nigeria"
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by presido1: 12:27pm On Jul 20, 2009
A-town:

As a matter of fact, this is the only reasonable plan that i have seen from this administration.
University education is not for everybody. Free education up to secondary school stage is enough.
If you really want to go to college, then you should have the brain for it. If you do, there are bursaries and scholarships available.
The reason we have the type of college grads that we have today is because 99% of them used EXPO to get into school.
What is the point of graduating 1 million students every year when you only have 100,000 jobs available.

If you feel you really need to go to college and you are poor and not smart enough, go get a loan.
This may seem harsh but is the best thing that will happen to the education system.
ALL If you have ear you berra listern. They have spoken tongue
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by TheSeeker(m): 12:27pm On Jul 20, 2009
presido1:

Remember OBJ gave us this bad man.
I don't think he knew he'll be so capable of ruining this country this way.

debosky:

I should also say that Sam Egwu is the immediate former governor of Ebonyi State. A state that has the lowest educational standard in the whole of the south-east. It disappoints me greatly that, in spite, of the pride his people have in him owing to his revamping of the state's educational system(the best thing they are proud of him for), he could stoop so low with a stupid president to increase tuition fees -- one which at least that I know -- 97% of people from his state cannot afford.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Afam4eva(m): 12:27pm On Jul 20, 2009
A-town:

What a waste of bandwidth for a retarded post. Even in the west scholarship is offered to people based on need.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by landis(m): 12:28pm On Jul 20, 2009
Free education up to secondary school stage is enough.

and where is that free education?
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by debosky(m): 12:28pm On Jul 20, 2009
A-town:

Nonsense - in a country where you have virtually NO benefits from the government, the last remaining hope should be taken away?

If the government was providing roads, hospitals and power to Nigerians, then maybe we would be able to afford tuition fees. But when almost all disposable income is used to provide basic needs that the government should be providing, they have NO RIGHT to dictate fees.

Deal with the basic issues and then maybe we can consider the fees.

PS - whose fault is it that only '100,000 jobs are available'? Is it not the ridiculous government who cannot even supply power/basic infrastructure needed for job creation?

Again I say NONSENSE.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Afam4eva(m): 12:30pm On Jul 20, 2009
I now wonder how much schools like Covenant, babcock, Igbenedion and APTI american university will start collecting. It will be not only foolish but moronic for anyone to pay 180,000 for a crappy education like ours. Instead they will stick with their certificate, afterall there's really no much difference between most graduates that are been churned out on a yearly basis and secondary school leavers.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by asha2: 12:34pm On Jul 20, 2009
@debosky

You are right you know.At times when i hear people saying only a limited amount of jobs are available in nigeria and there is no need graduating millions i ask whose fault is it?

If there was constant electricity in the country most guys i know probably might be engaged in private biz.Not everyone whats a white collar job or work for someone.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Witi(m): 12:34pm On Jul 20, 2009
A-town:

@ A-Town: You are suppose to be stoned to death in the Village square. You are a monster.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by TheSeeker(m): 12:35pm On Jul 20, 2009
A-town:

Another PDP miscreant on the block. You say free education up to the secondary school level should be free, where's the freeness? If people want to go to college, they should have brain for it, and what has brain got to do with increase in tuition fee? You obviously are the one with brain deficiency here because your point are stupidly incoherent. Where are the scholarships? Where are the places to get loans from? MTN, GLO and other companies are busy dishing out millions to customers for bullshit that aren't worth it instead of giving scholarships in a country that boasts of poor people; so my dear friend, who will give the scholarships here? Huh? What kind of college grads do we have? Tell me. Every company openly employ people with influence and that's the way it is: You don't know anyone, you won't get a job.

There's 100,000 jobs available, who provides them? Who operates JAMB? Who operates WAEC and NECO? If they cheat at these exams, who sells out the exam papers? Quit being stupid and analyze your arguments intelligently.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by Nezan(m): 12:40pm On Jul 20, 2009
Lets wait and see how it will play out.
Re: N180,000 Tuition Fees For Nigerian Universities by zerocool(m): 12:42pm On Jul 20, 2009
@A-Town; i can see frm ur post u are mentally disturbed & need to be remanded in the psychiatry hospital. Even in some european countries where the system is working; electricity,water, employment, politics etc, cost of education is FREE FOR FOREIGNERS. This country is FU#kD, and i kip telling pple i doubt if it will ever advance, not in this generational lifetime.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari Says Only God Can "Effectively Police" Nigeria, Niger Border / Insecurity: Tension Mounts In Imo, Abia, Rivers / Public Opinion, Attacks On Judges Can't Influence Court Decisions - CJN Ariwoola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.