Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,402 members, 7,781,160 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:04 AM

Suv's And Jeep - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Suv's And Jeep (1243 Views)

Man Calls Out Customs Officers For Seizing The Lexus Jeep He Bought (pics / New Prado Jeep Burnt In Abuja This Morning (Photos) / The Army Jeep Innoson Motors Produced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suv's And Jeep by Originalsly: 3:40pm On Mar 13, 2016
Why do we call SUV's Jeep...when we know Jeep is a brand just like Toyota, Mercedes Benz, Nissan, Ford ? Can anyone try to explain?...I have my idea....but let me hear yours first....and is about time we enter the 21st century using correct names.
Re: Suv's And Jeep by wtfCode: 3:49pm On Mar 13, 2016
Its like asking why do we call noodles indomie. Maybe because its the first or the best sold out of the product type.
Re: Suv's And Jeep by Nobody: 4:07pm On Mar 13, 2016
Same reason we call all seasoning maggi.when u go to the market, and u want to buy knorr,u are most likely to say 'i want to buy knorr maggi'.trust me, i stil do it even when i know it's wrong.trying to stop tho.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suv's And Jeep by apexquest(m): 7:33pm On Mar 13, 2016
same way we call every toothpaste 'MacLean', even though we know its wrong.

1 Like

Re: Suv's And Jeep by joefredd006(m): 9:25pm On Mar 13, 2016
in all my days on Nairaland, i have never seen people reply with so much reason and accuracy like this.

Where have you folks been all this while.
Anyway, in Nigeria, the first product always gets maximum advantage of exposure. I bet many people still call all sausages and beef roll 'gala'. So when you see Cherokee Jeep for many years and you grow hearing your senior ones saying 'Jeep'. it unconsciously sinks in.

I recently broke out of the jinx with the help of some Hollywood movies

1 Like

Re: Suv's And Jeep by Originalsly: 9:48pm On Mar 13, 2016
I'm back....to add some more fuel. Fair comments... we see Toyota etc and we refer to them as Jeep... now why we never ever call a Land Rover jeep??...every thing else is jeep except Land Rover...why
Re: Suv's And Jeep by grimadult(m): 10:07pm On Mar 13, 2016
grin grin grin and that's how my cousin in Wyoming went to a dealership to buy a vehicle (highlander) and said he wanted a jeep,they took him to the Jeep section (cheeroke,compass,liberty etc) and he was furious saying he wants a highlander jeep grin grin grin .

4 Likes

Re: Suv's And Jeep by joefredd006(m): 11:00am On Mar 14, 2016
grimadult:
grin grin grin and that's how my cousin in Wyoming went to a dealership to buy a vehicle (highlander) and said he wanted a jeep,they took him to the Jeep section (cheeroke,compass,liberty etc) and he was furious saying he wants a highlander jeep grin grin grin .

very funny ! just like when i ask for indomie and they hand me a golden penny

1 Like

Re: Suv's And Jeep by lonelydora: 11:06am On Mar 14, 2016
Same reason we call every detergent 'OMO'

1 Like

Re: Suv's And Jeep by ivoryhouse(m): 4:52pm On Mar 14, 2016
Land rover is king, no one will take a lion for a goat no matter how dumb or ignorant he is. Highlander jeep. grin
I went to renew my vehicle documents and the lady was arguing with me with regards to the brand of suv i drive..smh, she wanted to rename my jeep commander to a toyota something... grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Suv's And Jeep by Originalsly: 4:00am On Mar 16, 2016
Back. I want to believe the reason is because way back Land Rover and Jeep were the only two 4X4 brands....with Land Rover having one style while Jeep had more than one. There was no doubt about a Land Rover... so from since then until now...if it's not a Land Rover then it has to be Jeep ..... Highlander Jeep...Pathfinder Jeep.... MDX Jeep Benz Jeep.....ehmmm...Jeep Jeep?Really?
Re: Suv's And Jeep by Lexusgs430: 6:46am On Mar 16, 2016
Or simply calling all vacuum cleaners, hoover. When hoover is a brand name!!!
Re: Suv's And Jeep by ogawisdom(m): 7:54pm On Mar 16, 2016
D same reason we call 1999 Camry tiny light, Benz 230 v boot
Re: Suv's And Jeep by Nobody: 8:24pm On Mar 16, 2016
In my opinion I fink SUV'S ARE CALLED JEEPS because we r just used 2 jeeps.

For those of us into vehicle registration, we differentiate suvs by refering 2 dem as jeeps. For instance, Toyota 4runner is refered 2 as jeep while Toyota COROLLA is refered 2 as saloon car.
Another fin we put into consideration is d vehicle's shape and it's engine capacity.
We're just used 2 dis and will be difficult 2 change.

My experience : I wanted 2 buy meemee noddle and I asked 4 indomie 4geting dat indomie and meemee are 2 different noddles.

(1) (Reply)

Cost Of Obtaining Commercial Vehicle Number Plate / What I Saw Today At Egbeda, Lagos / Interprete Your Scan Codes On This Site.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.