Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,859 members, 7,802,751 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:48 PM

No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps (15763 Views)

Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki / Senate To Strip Buhari Of Power Of Assent / List Of Lawmakers In The 7th Assembly Who Didn’t Sponsor A Single Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by Amaudeogu(m): 1:11am On Mar 14, 2016
The House of Representatives has adopted a piecemeal approach to the fifth effort by the National Assembly to further amend the 1999 Constitution, the Deputy Speaker, Mr. Yusuf Lasun, disclosed on Sunday.

The House, according to him, would jettison the practice in the past whereby all amendments proposed to the constitution were reduced to a single constitution amendment bill and forwarded to the President for his assent.

Lasun, who is the Chairman, House Ad Hoc Committee on Constitution Review, said the practice caused casualties for such proposals in the event the President withheld his assent to the single bill or the bill was not even passed by the legislature itself.

It will be recalled that in 2007, there were many amendments proposed in the second alteration bill, including a proposal for a tenure elongation that would have given former President Olusegun Obasanjo a third term.

When the bill failed to pass at the National Assembly on the account of the opposition to the third term proposal, all other amendments also failed.

Similarly, in 2015, the fourth alteration bill also failed along with many other proposals after former President Goodluck Jonathan withheld his assent to the bill.

Jonathan’s grouse was that the bill contained several proposals that would ultimately usurp the powers of the executive arm of government.

To avoid the pitfalls of the past, the Lasun-led committee has opted to treat issues separately and present the bills in piecemeal for the President to either sign or withhold his assent.

The Chief Press Secretary to the Deputy Speaker, Mr Wole Oladimeji, said in a statement in Abuja that the idea was a fallout of a series of meetings the committee had held to review strategies for the assignment.

He added, “The committee, which is chaired by Lasun, has concluded to review the constitution in piecemeal instead of codifying it in a single bill, which is easy to trash due to one or two errors.

“This new system will be embarked upon and before the end of the 8th Assembly, all the sections of the constitution that need to be amended would have been concluded and assented to by the President.

“The review exercise will be presented to the President in piecemeal manner and not in a single bill as was done in the 7th Assembly. In other words, bills on the same subject matter will be presented to the President as a single bill.

“So at the end of the day, the committee may come up with four or more bills to be presented to the President for assent.”

Both the Senate and the House of Representatives are conducting separate constitution review exercises, but will later harmonise their differences before making any new amendments.

In 2010, the National Assembly voted N1 billion for the constitution review project and shared N500million apiece by the two chambers.

A similar budget was also expended between 2014 and 2015 in passing the fourth alteration bill, which Jonathan declined to sign before his tenure ended on May 29 last year.

It is not clear how much will be spent on the exercise by the 8th Assembly, coming at a period the country is facing financial stress.

http://www.punchng.com/no-more-single-bill-for-presidential-assent-reps/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by amtaken(f): 2:44am On Mar 14, 2016
So Buhari wants to amend the Constitution to suit his dictatorial style of leadership?

Thank you National Assembly for saying no.

For the hungry zombie kids who have been crying under this post, I have one phrase for you:

CRY ON!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by modath(f): 3:31am On Mar 14, 2016
[img][/img]
amtaken:
So Buhari wants to amend the Constitution to suit his doctoral style of leadership?

Haaaa? Where in the article did you get the crap you came up with? shocked shocked ...

Why is reading & comprehension such a major problem for you people for heaven sake? Did you even it read at all? undecided

Where did you see Buhari proposing a constitutional ammendment? & what is doctoral style of leadership? Stop using expressions that are far above your mental capacity!!

Everyday, all over the world, people's preferred candidates lose elections & these people move on to lead productive lives & hope for another chance ... not you people, you have decided to stay wailing on your split milk & be reductive , no one should have to live like this..what a pity. undecided

119 Likes 10 Shares

Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by lawydewy(m): 3:43am On Mar 14, 2016
amtaken:
So Buhari wants to amend the Constitution to suit his doctoral style of leadership?

And you will think you can make a good house wife material?

Do you even read passage?

Nigerians nowadays!

I want to sleep, na Buhari....

I want pee, na Buhari......

For ladies, I miss my period, na Buhari......

My GF mistakingly got pregnant, na Buhari.....

That hen is sick, na Buhari......

No rain, na Buhari.......

People are too far from reality.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by lawydewy(m): 4:00am On Mar 14, 2016
amtaken:

You have a negative mind!

If you continue like this,God is not in control of your life.

If you continue like this you can't be a wife material as you claim female.

How dear you for sentiment reasons, just accused someone for allegations he was not even subject matter to.

This is barbaric in nature of you lady/woman.

From now on, I will support him and challenge anyone who come across his way.

God bless Nigeria!

God bless Nigerians!

God bless Mr President!

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by Volksfuhrer(m): 5:07am On Mar 14, 2016
modath:
[img][/img]

Haaaa? Where in the article did you get the crap you came up with? shocked shocked ...
Why is reading & comprehension such a major problem for you people for heaven sake? Did you even it read at all? undecided

My broda, e tire me o!

12 Likes

Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by BaddieKay(f): 6:07am On Mar 14, 2016
Una good morning jawee

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by BlackPeni5: 6:52am On Mar 14, 2016
Our constitution is overdue for review. Things like sharia and other nonesense should be removed.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by Tunami(m): 7:20am On Mar 14, 2016
amtaken:

which one be doctoral again?

9 Likes

Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by amtaken(f): 9:01am On Mar 14, 2016
I meant dictatorial.

Tunami:
which one be doctoral again?
Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by amtaken(f): 9:06am On Mar 14, 2016
You are not my God and whatever you say about me is inconsequential.

"Who is he that says a thing and it comes to pass when my God has not spoken?".

BYE.

lawydewy:

You have a negative mind!

If you continue like this,God is not in control of your life.

If you continue like this you can't be a wife material as you claim female.

How dear you for sentiment reasons, just accused someone for allegations he was not even subject matter to.

This is barbaric in nature of you lady/woman.

From now on, I will support him and challenge anyone who come across his way.

God bless Nigeria!

God bless Nigerians!

God bless Mr President!

9 Likes

Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by Monalisa185(f): 9:15am On Mar 14, 2016
dunno if it's just me or there's someone else who likes to cook another cup of rice on a Monday morning just to finish the Sunday stew?tonguetongue

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by Tunami(m): 9:15am On Mar 14, 2016
amtaken:
I meant dictatorial.
which one come be meant again?

3 Likes

Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by shamecurls(m): 9:16am On Mar 14, 2016
amtaken:

Sigh.....

Have you had breakfast this morning?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by wizkidblogger(f): 9:17am On Mar 14, 2016
amtaken:

Use your head before rushing to drop shitty comment just because of FTC. Mtchew*

6 Likes

Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by demarc001: 9:18am On Mar 14, 2016
Una jus wan give Bubu wahala
Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by TippyTop(m): 9:18am On Mar 14, 2016
A similar budget was also expended between 2014 and 2015 in passing the fourth alteration bill, which Jonathan declined to sign before his tenure ended on May 29 last year.

Illiterate Buhari would sign anything in front of him.

3 Likes

Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by massinola(m): 9:18am On Mar 14, 2016
k
Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by looseweight: 9:19am On Mar 14, 2016
Ok
Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by Nobody: 9:19am On Mar 14, 2016
see idleness
Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by powerfulsettingz: 9:19am On Mar 14, 2016
Really?
Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by IME1: 9:19am On Mar 14, 2016
Ok
Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by marycool18(f): 9:20am On Mar 14, 2016
tongue
Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by gentlesoul196: 9:21am On Mar 14, 2016
Buhari you promised us Job..... where is it? I won't be on nairaland if i had a job angry
Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by demarc001: 9:21am On Mar 14, 2016
amtaken:

Learn to read & understand before commenting

10 Likes

Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by shogz89: 9:22am On Mar 14, 2016
amtaken:
You are not my God and whatever you say about me in inconsequential.

"Who is he that says a thing and it comes to pass when my God has not spoken?".

BYE.

guess you got more than you bargained for? Read with your eyes not your ass, understand with your brain and not your Anus. To think you are a Christian self, how do you understand the bible especially the one you just quoted sad

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by IME1: 9:22am On Mar 14, 2016
IME1:
Ok
looseweight:
Ok
TippyTop:
Ok
IME1:
Ok

Ok crew, we gentle abi wink
Now back to the story
The NA should not re-surface unnecessary bills
Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by AleAirHub(m): 9:23am On Mar 14, 2016
Serious
Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by WebSurfer(m): 9:24am On Mar 14, 2016
angry
Re: No More Single Bill For Presidential Assent –reps by Nobody: 9:25am On Mar 14, 2016
modath:
[img][/img]

Where did you see Buhari proposing a constitutional ammendment? & what is doctoral style of leadership? Stop using expressions that are far above your mental capacity!!

Everyday, all over the world, people's preferred candidates lose elections & these people move on to lead productive lives & hope for another chance ... not you people, you have decided to stay wailing on your split milk & be reductive , no one should have to live like this..what a pity. undecided

I have come to realize that many Nigerians (especially the Youths) have serious problems with reading comprehension.
I do not know if that subject is still a part of our curriculum in the Primary, Secondary and University Freshman stages. If it is, then it probably is not taught very well. If it isnt then it needs to be reintroduced as a matter of urgency.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

LAKE RICE: Lagos State To Adopt One-man-one-bag Purchase Policy / Sahara Reporters Ignores Judgement Of Ilorin High Court Against Them / FG Extends Suspension Of New Electricity Tariff By 1 Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.