Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,869 members, 7,802,800 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:55 PM

Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually (17711 Views)

MTN, Glo, Airtel Set To Increase Data, Call Tariffs / NCC Orders MTN, Glo & Airtel & Others To Extend 30-day Data Expiry Period / Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Blackberrybabes: 6:24am On Mar 14, 2016
Ripples Nigeria findings have uncovered that GSM service providers in the country defraud Nigerians to a whooping tune of about N547bn every year.
Nigeria has 149,787,120 active Global System for Mobile communication (GSM) lines as at November 2015 according to figures from the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).

At N50 deductible on SMS every five days of subscription, invariably, Nigerians lose over N7.5 billion every five days, and N547b yearly through such unsolicited SMS.
This is not counting other unsolicited SMS that attracts N100 per week, and unsolicited calls that also attract separate charges.
In a move to address the situation, the House of Representatives during the weekend suggested a fine of N5million for GSM providers involved in unsolicited calls and text messages.
According to the lawmakers, unsolicited text messages are a breach to the privacy of phone users and a contravention of their fundamental rights as provided for in the Constitution.
Sponsor of the bill, Hon. Ali Madaki, said the Bill became imperative, as there was no law in the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) Act specifically on text messages, which makes it possible for telecommunications service providers to fleece their subscribers through such unsolicited SMS.

According to him, the consumers are at the mercy of the service providers, who have taken full advantage of the absence of such laws to continue defrauding Nigerians.
Equally in the bill, online telemarketing is prohibited without prior consent or application by a subscriber.
However, Nicholas Ossai (PDP, Delta) among others, said unsolicited text messages does not need to stand alone as laws, as the NCC Act has enough laws to address the issue.
Expectedly, Speaker Yakubu Dogara and the House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila noted that privacy of subscribers should be an issue which the NCC Act was silent on.

The bill was unanimously passed after it was put to a voice vote by the Speaker, who said opinion of experts and stakeholders would be required at the public hearing stage to seek the opinion of Nigerians about unsolicited text messages.
While the debates continue, service providers continue to have a field day, smiling to the bank with the billions fleeced from Nigerian GSM providers.

http://www.blackberrybabes.com/2016/03/unwanted-callssms-mtn-glo-airtel-others.html

2 Likes

Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Blackberrybabes: 6:27am On Mar 14, 2016
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Nobody: 6:37am On Mar 14, 2016
Awon Ole!!!

2 Likes

Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by MisterGrace: 9:28am On Mar 14, 2016
Fine them already

7 Likes

Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by UnknownT: 9:28am On Mar 14, 2016
The one that made me give up on MTN was when a certain number (+55515) called me, I picked the call and it was about Catholic Cathecism. After the voice prompt had finished blabbing and asked me to press 1 to subscribe, I dropped the call. Then an sms entered my phone that #50 had been deducted from my account for subscribing to Catholic Cathecism, I was shocked. Called them and they told me that they can't do anything that its a 3rd party bla bla bla and there was nothing they could do. I just jejely blacklisted the number. Since the time this thing happened till now, that number still calls me

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by lilprinze: 9:28am On Mar 14, 2016
what is the use of NCC if they sit back and watch these thieves exploit us daily. It is high time NCC is removed as far as am concerned they are useless.

17 Likes

Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by wolesmile(m): 9:29am On Mar 14, 2016
Another method is through flash message. Most people will click OK without knowing, and before u know it, you have subscribed to one yeye package...

And that's #50 off your account every week.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by looseweight: 9:29am On Mar 14, 2016
God bless our lawmakers

IAMLOOSEWEIGHT
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by frinx: 9:29am On Mar 14, 2016
We shouldn't blame the network providers,
NCC should be blamed for this amount of exploitation.....

Abeg hope them go disburse the fine to all the exploited customers?... grin

15 Likes

Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by babyfaceafrica: 9:29am On Mar 14, 2016
Does this affect those os us that load once a month?

4 Likes

Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Kreamie(m): 9:29am On Mar 14, 2016
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by demarc001: 9:30am On Mar 14, 2016
Chai! Me since I have been using phone, I don't subscribe to all those extras (ring back tune, news feeds, etc) and I hardly get any deduction, only sometimes unusual call rate. But I so hate those unsolicited calls and messages.

2 Likes

Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by 4four(m): 9:30am On Mar 14, 2016
mtn
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Nobody: 9:30am On Mar 14, 2016
good
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by bettercreature(m): 9:30am On Mar 14, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Guyman02: 9:30am On Mar 14, 2016
WHAT ABOUT THE FAKE WIN BIG GSM LOTTERIES
Glo and MTN made several billions years back with sms to win millions promo and the lotteries were not 'won' as promised by subscribers.

1 Like

Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by goshen26: 9:31am On Mar 14, 2016
Nice one
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Talius(m): 9:31am On Mar 14, 2016
Imagine the amount they smile to the bank with, while we suffer losses of time inconvenience, low battery, amongst other things. Let the consequence be a huge fine on defaulters.

2 Likes

Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Originality007: 9:31am On Mar 14, 2016
shocked
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Samuel200: 9:31am On Mar 14, 2016
Good one
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by hensben(m): 9:31am On Mar 14, 2016
A lot has really happened in this country.

PDP members ah- e nor go better for una

2 Likes

Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by kennyman2000(m): 9:31am On Mar 14, 2016
especially that useless etisalat
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by ITSaWRAPPP: 9:32am On Mar 14, 2016
Consumer protection in Nigeria is non-existence

1 Like

Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by sunnyuche1(m): 9:32am On Mar 14, 2016
thieves angry
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by markidoo(m): 9:32am On Mar 14, 2016
I hate does messages and they come especially when am expecting a credit alert. Airtel's messages are better bt Mtn no dey add value to person mobile activities at all.

1 Like

Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Bsc(m): 9:32am On Mar 14, 2016
Chisos!!!
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by princejtb4real(m): 9:32am On Mar 14, 2016
okay
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Nobody: 9:32am On Mar 14, 2016
Fine mtn more! awom oloriburuku oshi
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by AlexCk: 9:32am On Mar 14, 2016
Irrelevant msgs, there was a time i think twas mtn abi glo, sent me a msg abt "tips on falling in love" i laff .

Funny enough, after a month, #100 comot frm my bal o,
Something i didn't request for.
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by Sijo01(f): 9:33am On Mar 14, 2016
Oh my! And we have NCC. It is well.
Re: Unwanted Calls/sms: MTN, Glo, Airtel, Others Fleece Nigerians N547bn Annually by richidinho(m): 9:33am On Mar 14, 2016
This is what i experience everyday, dont know how to stop it

Sender: MTNPlay@
Message: Your Learn English weekly subscription has been renewed. your service will now expire on..(the next day date)

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Whatsapp Extends Support For Blackberry To End Of 2017 / What App Do You Use To Play Music? / Etisalat Night And Weekend Internet Bundle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.