Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,465 members, 7,808,651 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:55 PM

U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening - Travel (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening (186019 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by orimahspence: 12:44pm On Dec 12, 2017
Hi Lagos and Abuja NIV

My interview date is almost here, I have impaired hearing, I ear well with the aid of a portable earring device (which will not be permitted inside ), how do I tell the VO to speak extra gently during the interview ,for that is the only way I can hear the VO without the use of device ,thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by aanexplus(m): 4:33pm On Dec 12, 2017
Hello Abuja and Lagos NIV.

I went for VISA on 11th Dec. I was placed on Administrative Processing (White Paper) and my passport was collected. My question is this: Can I update one of the file I submitted during the interview? If yes, How can I go about this?

Thanks for your time
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nobody: 9:23pm On Dec 12, 2017
Hello orimahspence -

I believe I have answered this question for you before. Say something like "I have impaired hearing, can you please speak more gently/clearly/slowly?" If that is insufficient, as I told you before, we can turn up the volume on our microphone or move into a privacy booth with a door that closes to keep out the noise of other interviews.

LagosNIV

orimahspence:
Hi Lagos and Abuja NIV

My interview date is almost here, I have impaired hearing, I ear well with the aid of a portable earring device (which will not be permitted inside ), how do I tell the VO to speak extra gently during the interview ,for that is the only way I can hear the VO without the use of device ,thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nobody: 9:23pm On Dec 12, 2017
You may email lagosniv@state.gov or consularabuja@state.gov

LagosNIV

aanexplus:
Hello Abuja and Lagos NIV.

I went for VISA on 11th Dec. I was placed on Administrative Processing (White Paper) and my passport was collected. My question is this: Can I update one of the file I submitted during the interview? If yes, How can I go about this?

Thanks for your time
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by aanexplus(m): 12:37pm On Dec 13, 2017
LagosNIV:
You may email lagosniv@state.gov or consularabuja@state.gov

LagosNIV

Thank you very much. My documents should be sufficient. I wanna change the photocopy transcript to original but it's fine I guess. My next question is that: I tracked my application on CEAC.STATE.GOV, it shows administrative case was opened against me on 8th Dec of which my interview was on 11th. How can this be? Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Ututu99: 3:52pm On Dec 13, 2017
abujaniv:

Hello victor4u,

The issue with the DS 160 is something that is handled by CGI and I would recommend to your friend to check in with them here (http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-appointmentschedule.asp) - they should be able to help with the technical aspects of the interview scheduling.

As for the documents, students MUST show their I-20 and their SEVIS fee receipt - the rest is up to the discretion of the officer, but 95% of the time, no further documentation will be asked for during the interview for students. Students must showI that they are qualified and credible and have a concrete plan for returning back to Nigeria when their studies are over.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
.Good day Sir, keep doing the good work!Sir ,I need an answer to this question that has been bordering me:I was denied a Visa for Masters program last month.I plan going for an under graduate course which I have strong passion for in America.Would the Visa Officer reject my Visa application base on the fact that I previously applied for a Masters program?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by buddwizer: 7:06pm On Dec 13, 2017
Hello Abuja and Lagos NIV,

Considering a PhD prospective student who will be fully funded by his institution with a Research Assistanship, while filling the DS 160 form, the section that requires the information with " who will be responsible/funding your trip".
Does he select COMPANY/ORGANIZATION"
and If so, should the name, phone number and contact of the school or the department/faculty be provided in support of this.

Thank you for you anticipated response.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nobody: 9:08pm On Dec 13, 2017
Hello Ututu99 -

We consider each application individually. If you did not qualify for a visa in the past but you do now, you will be issued a visa. Similarly, if you did qualify for a visa in the past but you no longer do, you will be refused.

LagosNIV

Ututu99:
.Good day Sir, keep doing the good work!Sir ,I need an answer to this question that has been bordering me:I was denied a Visa for Masters program last month.I plan going for an under graduate course which I have strong passion for in America.Would the Visa Officer reject my Visa application base on the fact that I previously applied for a Masters program?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Phoenixkreuger: 8:39am On Dec 14, 2017
Hi Abuja NIV,

I had my interview for a study visa approved on the 4th of December in abuja and instruction manual for document pick up and a congratulatory message printed on a small white paper with guidelines about port of entry requirements was given to me.

More so my passport and my sponsorship award letter from the petroleum technology development fund was retained by the consular officer saying it will be returned alongside my passport.

10 days have gone past since my interview and I haven't been notified of my document pick up and my school start date is fast approaching.

I managed to log into the CEAC website to track status of my visa and I found out it was under Administrative processing and had the below information:

Case created : 4th Dec
Case last updated - 11th Dec

Please what should I do at this point as other scholars of the petroleum technology development fund who had their visa interviews in lagos and Abuja have had their passports returned to them?.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:36pm On Dec 14, 2017
Hello Phoenixkreuger. I'm familiar with your case. You need to reappear at the Embassy to redo your fingerprints. Our staff should be in touch with you soon to schedule a time.

Phoenixkreuger:
Hi Abuja NIV,

I had my interview for a study visa approved on the 4th of December in abuja and instruction manual for document pick up and a congratulatory message printed on a small white paper with guidelines about port of entry requirements was given to me.

More so my passport and my sponsorship award letter from the petroleum technology development fund was retained by the consular officer saying it will be returned alongside my passport.

10 days have gone past since my interview and I haven't been notified of my document pick up and my school start date is fast approaching.

I managed to log into the CEAC website to track status of my visa and I found out it was under Administrative processing and had the below information:

Case created : 4th Dec
Case last updated - 11th Dec

Please what should I do at this point as other scholars of the petroleum technology development fund who had their visa interviews in lagos and Abuja have had their passports returned to them?.

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Phoenixkreuger: 9:26pm On Dec 14, 2017
Many thanks for your response Abuja NIA. I got the email notification instructing I come in as soon as possible for finger print submission.

I will be going to the embassy first thing tomorrow to do the needful with the hopes of getting my visa early enough.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by temitope2598: 10:43pm On Dec 14, 2017
Phoenixkreuger:
Many thanks for your response Abuja NIA. I got the email notification instructing I come in as soon as possible for finger print submission.

I will be going to the embassy first thing tomorrow to do the needful with the hopes of getting my visa early enough.

Thank you.
abujaniv:
Hello Phoenixkreuger. I'm familiar with your case. You need to reappear at the Embassy to redo your fingerprints. Our staff should be in touch with you soon to schedule a time.

Wow! This right here just put an end to all my curiosity about the VO's on here being real.
Often times I wondered if we were really getting responses from real visa officers though their professionalism at tackling questions was topnotch.

@AbujaNIV @LagosNIV
Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer our numerous questions here!

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nobody: 11:42pm On Dec 14, 2017
Hello LagosNIV,

Merry Christmas. Please I made a mistake in my passport no even before scheduling an interview but i discovered I couldn't edit it. I put a call through to cgi and I was advised they can't change it and i should just proceed and complete the scheduling that it's at the descretion of the officer that will attend to me on the interview date to allow me in and correct it during biometrics. The passport no is correct on all other document... DS 160, GT print out..., but only wrong on the interview scheduling.

Kindly advise pls... It's very urgent. Thanks.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nobody: 11:22am On Dec 15, 2017
thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by barrack04: 2:10pm On Dec 16, 2017
Good afternoon, I would really want my case to receive a solution here.
I applied for f1 nonimmigrant visa and I scheduled 11th of December 2018 and before my interview I have been placed on administrative processing. After my interview the visa officer told me I would be placed on administrative processing for 2 days and after 3 days I went to check my status and found that my application was refused without any reason, I haven't gotten any message or email directly from the white paper I was given on the day of my interview, majority of my documents were collected and I don't know what the issue was.
My school resumes 16th of January and am expected to arrive a week to resumption as stated on my f-120
I would be grateful If I can be directed as to what to do.
Thanks.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nobody: 4:20pm On Dec 16, 2017
Hello barrack04 -

We do not comment on the reasons for refusal in individual cases here on Nairaland. If your application has been refused, you will get a letter informing you which section of the Immigration and Nationality Act was the reason for the refusal. If you were refused under section 214(b),
you were found not to meet the requirements for the F-1 Non Immigrant Visa, but you are free to apply again at any time. If you were reufsed under another section, such as section 212(a)(6)(C)(i) [related to making a material misrepresentation], you may be subject a long term or even lifetime ineligibility for a US visa. For further information about your individual case you may also email LagosNIV@state.gov if your application was made at the Consulate in Lagos or ConsularAbuja@state.gov if your application was made at the Embassy in Abuja.

LagosNIV

barrack04:
Good afternoon, I would really want my case to receive a solution here.
I applied for f1 nonimmigrant visa and I scheduled 11th of December 2018 and before my interview I have been placed on administrative processing. After my interview the visa officer told me I would be placed on administrative processing for 2 days and after 3 days I went to check my status and found that my application was refused without any reason, I haven't gotten any message or email directly from the white paper I was given on the day of my interview, majority of my documents were collected and I don't know what the issue was.
My school resumes 16th of January and am expected to arrive a week to resumption as stated on my f-120
I would be grateful If I can be directed as to what to do.
Thanks.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nobody: 4:28pm On Dec 16, 2017
Hello brightdocare -

The requirements for issuance of a F1 Student visa are as follows. You must convince the consular officer that:

1) You have been admitted to an academic program
2) You are prepared for the program you will be attending i.e. you have sufficient prior education or experience that you are ready for the program you are planning to attend
3) You have the current ability (which can include the help of a sponsor) to pay for all of the costs of the first year of the program and that you will have the ability to pay for the remainder of the program
4) You have the intent to return to a residence outside the US at the conclusion of your program (i.e. you are not intending to immigrate to the US permanently).

You'll note that none of these requirements are precluded by you being 28 years old, or holding a OND, or applying for a bachelor degree. All student visa applicants should be prepared to answer questions about why they selected the program they are planning to attend and why they are applying for that program at this time in their life.

LagosNIV

brightdocare:
Am 28 years with OND, applying for bachelor degree..

will my age really be an issue?

urgent respond please...
thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Eeffy: 4:54pm On Dec 16, 2017
Hello vo
I was interviewed in Lagos on Thursday, after the first set of interview , the vo took my i20 and bank statement for a while, came back and gave it to me. He issued me a white paper indicating Administrative processing. He took my passport and nothing more.I am kind of confused here.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by adebaba: 10:09pm On Dec 16, 2017
Dear VO
My f1 application was denied under section 214b sometime July this year.
I have my admission deferred and ready to reapply now. Do I need to complete another DS160?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nobody: 3:19pm On Dec 17, 2017
Hello Eeffy -

That letter means exactly what it says. Your case requires further administrative processing by the Consulate. When we have completed that administrative processing, a final decision will be made on the case, and you will be notified of the decision.

LagosNIV
Eeffy:
Hello vo
I was interviewed in Lagos on Thursday, after the first set of interview , the vo took my i20 and bank statement for a while, came back and gave it to me. He issued me a white paper indicating Administrative processing. He took my passport and nothing more.I am kind of confused here.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nobody: 3:19pm On Dec 17, 2017
Hello adebaba -

Yes. A new DS160 must be completed for each visa application.

LagosNIV

adebaba:
Dear VO
My f1 application was denied under section 214b sometime July this year.
I have my admission deferred and ready to reapply now. Do I need to complete another DS160?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Niv25: 8:47am On Dec 19, 2017
Good morning VO

does staying away from school for too long affect my visa application...I graduated from high school in 2012, and have been serving my elder brother..he owns a telecommunication company where I work as a phone software engineer. my course is computer science and my major is computer system networking and cyber security so is not like I have been away from what I intend to study... now my brother is about to settle me now by sending me to the US to start up my bachelors degree program heard someone people saying that the chances are gonna be tinny.. pleas what you have to say bout this??
my high result is really good. pls advice me on this.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by orimahspence: 9:22am On Dec 19, 2017
Visa delayed at Lagos embassy today , I want to refire, please , how can I schedule an expedited appointment to beat up January 10 resumption date ? Or is it advisable to choose the nearest available date and be on close watch for any open opportunity for rescheduling, can expedited appointment also be rescheduled ,if earlier date becomes open
Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by akinjis(m): 11:43am On Dec 19, 2017
Please kindly enlighten me earliest date of resumption is Jan 22,class start jan 26 program start February 20 how much time do I need too get too the USA?is it's before program start
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nobody: 7:58am On Dec 20, 2017
Hello Niv25 -

Please see my post earlier on this page about what the requirements are for a student visa. You should be prepared to discuss what you have been doing since you were last in school and why you are wanting to go to school again now.

LagosNIV

Niv25:
Good morning VO

does staying away from school for too long affect my visa application...I graduated from high school in 2012, and have been serving my elder brother..he owns a telecommunication company where I work as a phone software engineer. my course is computer science and my major is computer system networking and cyber security so is not like I have been away from what I intend to study... now my brother is about to settle me now by sending me to the US to start up my bachelors degree program heard someone people saying that the chances are gonna be tinny.. pleas what you have to say bout this??
my high result is really good. pls advice me on this.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nobody: 8:01am On Dec 20, 2017
Hello orimahspence -

One of the requirements for an expedited/emergency appointment is that you have not been refused a visa in the last 6 months. If you were recently refused, you will not be eligible for the expedited appointment. We recently opened a large batch of additional student appointments,
you may be able to find an appointment which will meet your schedule.

LagosNIV

orimahspence:
Visa delayed at Lagos embassy today , I want to refire, please , how can I schedule an expedited appointment to beat up January 10 resumption date ? Or is it advisable to choose the nearest available date and be on close watch for any open opportunity for rescheduling, can expedited appointment also be rescheduled ,if earlier date becomes open
Thanks

1 Like

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nobody: 8:02am On Dec 20, 2017
Hello akinjis -

In most cases, we are able to return printed visas to approved applicants within 3 working days of their interview. Some cases require additional work on our part and take longer. All applicants are encouraged to start the visa application process well in advance of their planned travel.

LagosNIV

akinjis:
Please kindly enlighten me earliest date of resumption is Jan 22,class start jan 26 program start February 20 how much time do I need too get too the USA?is it's before program start
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Phoenixkreuger: 9:54am On Dec 20, 2017
Hi Abuja NIV,

Still in gratitude for your ever so prompt responses.

As earlier mentioned in my previous post I reappeared at the embassy in Abuja as was instructed on Friday the 15th of December for recapturing of my finger prints and the consular officer explained to me the reason behind my visa delay and further proposed that my documents will be ready soon.

5 days now (3 business days) and I haven't received any notification for document pick up and when I track my passport on the cgi federal site it just says on my dashboard "passport still with embassy". However, I noticed yesterday the status changed to "document delivery information" .
Also when I track it via email it says "there is no status update available for passport number submitted".this also wasn't the case some few days ago when it always returns "document still at post".

Please I'm confused and worried at the same time as to the vagueness in these information as any further delays will greatly infringe on my school travel plans.

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Niv25: 3:54pm On Dec 20, 2017
hello VO

*Does SAT or TOEFL determines someone's visa eligibility...the school am applying to don't Require any standardise test..some one told me to make sure I write them for embassy's sake even if its not for admission.

*I aslso want to know if applying to only one will affect my visa.

*will my application to only community colleges affect my visa?...I was told that VOs don't give much attention to community colleges...and that the won't approve me cause I applied to only community college
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by jofreddy7: 8:17pm On Dec 20, 2017
Dear LagosNIV,

I was at the Lagos embassy yesterday 19th, Dec. for my interview and I was given a white paper with a case number written.

The VO said I was going to get an approval mail that same evening and have my visa before the weekend, she held back only my Intl. passport. At the moment the CEAC site tracking shows administrative processing and I have not received any emails yet.

I have a booked flight to South Africa on Saturday 23rd, Dec. and I'm wondering if I should send an email?

Your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35)

Dv Lottery 2012 Winner Meet Here / Adventure In Ireland / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.