Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,255 members, 7,807,874 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:18 PM

Website Review: Www.reedlife.org - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Website Review: Www.reedlife.org (919 Views)

Pls Review Www.ebusinessinfos.com / Help Review Www.9jaboys.com / Can You Please Review Www.ogbongeblog.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Website Review: Www.reedlife.org by WebMonk(m): 4:43pm On Nov 07, 2006
Just finished a site for a client. tell me what you think:

www.reedlife.org

PS: What do you think about customers who want "clones". i get that a lot sad . Is it that they don't trust your abilities, or they aren't just literate enough, artwise?
Re: Website Review: Www.reedlife.org by my2cents(m): 6:28pm On Nov 07, 2006
What I think:

At first sight, the white gutters came across to me as though the page were broken due to the incorrect use of images. I probably would have gone for a unified image with a gutter of similar color.

As for the "Clones" issue, I think it's the client's way of saying they want a template. In other words, they figure it is cheaper to have a site based on previous work cos it is cheaper than an outright new design. It is then up to you to use your sugar-coated mouth to convince them otherwise so as to maximise your naira levels cool
Re: Website Review: Www.reedlife.org by smartsoft(m): 8:27pm On Nov 07, 2006
Well the site is pretty cool like your R Logo but those picture images should be black since we are black ppl here. since the site has been deliverd no problem your new site should be black.

And for the clone thing, give it to them just make sure your prize is higher than the one you will design yourself.
Re: Website Review: Www.reedlife.org by my2cents(m): 3:47pm On Nov 09, 2006
Back in the early days of the net, with Screens having poor resolutions, using web-safe colors was a big deal. I blv at the time screens could only display a certain range of colors. These days that is no longer the case, so I wdnt personally be concerned about using web-safe colors. Having said that, I am not promoting the abusive use of non-web-safe colors cool

As for wide vs fixed, I would say it depends on who you ask. I personally prefer fixed width: easier to manage, easier to code for. Yes, wide screen sites contract and expand with differing resolutions. However, if you don't implement the %s right, you end up with horizontal scrolling, which isn't good at all. It is especially tricky when you have a lot of images, with fixed dimensions, on your site. To summarize, you just have to pick your poison. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I however will still go with fixed width for some time to come.

Selling CMS? Shouldn't be too hard: "If I make the site static, I will have to be around for maintenance. This is because you probably don't know anything about maintaining an html file. This means you will have to pay me more in the long-run. With a CMS however, I set up the pages and all you have to do is enter content. You will probably not need me at all for this. So the choice is yours - more money invested upfront that pays off in the long-run, or you be cheap now and end up either making a mess trying to fix the site yourself/get Okoro, who knows nothing about websites to screw it up for you, or paying me each time you need help".

As for pricing, as na you dey Benin, you know what they can tolerate. Generally speaking though, a good site is worth paying for. As Nigerians (both at home and in the diaspora), we really need to start appreciating good work. As web developers/designers, the onus is on us to make clients understand why it is worth paying so much for a good site. Charging N10,000 per site wouldn't even buy me a bag of garri, not to mention paying for school fees. I wonder how most of these pple survive.

I hope this helps.
Re: Website Review: Www.reedlife.org by timmy(m): 2:12pm On Nov 10, 2006
May Day!! may day, calling may day, the site is down, send alert grin

(1) (Reply)

Programmer Needed To Join Our Team Of Consultants / Best Open Source Forum / Site Traffic And Revenue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.